[Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
85 messages Options
12345
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Milos Rancic-2
In less than half an hour Russian Wikipedia will go on one-day strike
against SOPA/PIPA-like law in Russia [1] (in Russian).

As in previous cases with Italian and English Wikipedia, it would be
good if the wider community would be activated in support of our
fellow Wikimedians. They need wider promotion on Meta etc.

Party is on #wikipedia-ru@freenode

[1] http://tinyurl.com/law89417-6

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada
2012/7/9 Milos Rancic <[hidden email]>

>
> Party is on #wikipedia-ru@freenode
>
>
Party?


> [1] http://tinyurl.com/law89417-6
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>



--
Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada. E-mail: emijrp AT gmail DOT com
Pre-doctoral student at the University of Cádiz (Spain)
Projects: AVBOT <http://code.google.com/p/avbot/> |
StatMediaWiki<http://statmediawiki.forja.rediris.es>
| WikiEvidens <http://code.google.com/p/wikievidens/> |
WikiPapers<http://wikipapers.referata.com>
| WikiTeam <http://code.google.com/p/wikiteam/>
Personal website: https://sites.google.com/site/emijrp/
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Milos Rancic-2
In reply to this post by Milos Rancic-2
I sent email to Russian ambassador in Serbia. Please, do the same in
your countries!

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 9:41 PM, Milos Rancic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In less than half an hour Russian Wikipedia will go on one-day strike
> against SOPA/PIPA-like law in Russia [1] (in Russian).
>
> As in previous cases with Italian and English Wikipedia, it would be
> good if the wider community would be activated in support of our
> fellow Wikimedians. They need wider promotion on Meta etc.
>
> Party is on #wikipedia-ru@freenode
>
> [1] http://tinyurl.com/law89417-6

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Lucas Teles

I've left a note on pt.wikipedia Village Pump.
http://pt.wikipedia.org/?oldid=31243386#Wikip.C3.A9dia_em_russo_em_protesto

Teles

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 01:01:30 +0200
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike
>
> I sent email to Russian ambassador in Serbia. Please, do the same in
> your countries!
>
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 9:41 PM, Milos Rancic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > In less than half an hour Russian Wikipedia will go on one-day strike
> > against SOPA/PIPA-like law in Russia [1] (in Russian).
> >
> > As in previous cases with Italian and English Wikipedia, it would be
> > good if the wider community would be activated in support of our
> > fellow Wikimedians. They need wider promotion on Meta etc.
> >
> > Party is on #wikipedia-ru@freenode
> >
> > [1] http://tinyurl.com/law89417-6
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
     
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Lucas Teles

Btw, the project should be (at least) visible for stewards. I was trying to check edits done by an account [1] that may be a spambot, but I couldn't. As the edit on ru.wiki is the only one, despite account is registered in other projects, it would help to have an idea on what kind of account is that.

[1] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:CentralAuth/Romka3003

Regards,
Teles

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 03:17:37 +0300
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike
>
>
> I've left a note on pt.wikipedia Village Pump.
> http://pt.wikipedia.org/?oldid=31243386#Wikip.C3.A9dia_em_russo_em_protesto
>
> Teles
>
> > From: [hidden email]
> > Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 01:01:30 +0200
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike
> >
> > I sent email to Russian ambassador in Serbia. Please, do the same in
> > your countries!
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 9:41 PM, Milos Rancic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > In less than half an hour Russian Wikipedia will go on one-day strike
> > > against SOPA/PIPA-like law in Russia [1] (in Russian).
> > >
> > > As in previous cases with Italian and English Wikipedia, it would be
> > > good if the wider community would be activated in support of our
> > > fellow Wikimedians. They need wider promotion on Meta etc.
> > >
> > > Party is on #wikipedia-ru@freenode
> > >
> > > [1] http://tinyurl.com/law89417-6
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>      
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
     
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

MZMcBride-2
In reply to this post by Milos Rancic-2
Milos Rancic wrote:
> In less than half an hour Russian Wikipedia will go on one-day strike
> against SOPA/PIPA-like law in Russia.
>
> As in previous cases with Italian and English Wikipedia, it would be
> good if the wider community would be activated in support of our
> fellow Wikimedians. They need wider promotion on Meta etc.
>
> Party is on #wikipedia-ru@freenode

You've successfully disrupted an educational resource in the name of
political advocacy. Stooping to the level of vandals... that'll show 'em.
Party on.

MZMcBride



_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Milos Rancic-2
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 6:13 AM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You've successfully disrupted an educational resource in the name of
> political advocacy. Stooping to the level of vandals... that'll show 'em.
> Party on.

After enough of rakija, I barely understand your words...

Don't you think that we have 100% of success up to the moment?

In that name, one more glass of rakija!

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Keegan Peterzell
On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 11:39 PM, Milos Rancic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 6:13 AM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > You've successfully disrupted an educational resource in the name of
> > political advocacy. Stooping to the level of vandals... that'll show 'em.
> > Party on.
>
> After enough of rakija, I barely understand your words...
>
> Don't you think that we have 100% of success up to the moment?
>
> In that name, one more glass of rakija!
>
>
When the government wants your library records, do you protest by closing
the library?  No.  You still let people in so that they can learn.


--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Milos Rancic-2
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 6:44 AM, Keegan Peterzell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> When the government wants your library records, do you protest by closing
> the library?  No.  You still let people in so that they can learn.

But, we can prove our point by closing Wikipedia for one day, while
librarians can't do that by closing libraries for one century.

So, what's the problem?

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Keegan Peterzell
On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 11:47 PM, Milos Rancic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 6:44 AM, Keegan Peterzell <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > When the government wants your library records, do you protest by closing
> > the library?  No.  You still let people in so that they can learn.
>
> But, we can prove our point by closing Wikipedia for one day, while
> librarians can't do that by closing libraries for one century.
>
> So, what's the problem?
>
>
I'll explain my perspective on Saturday at the SOPA panel for Wikimania.
 It's very tl;dr.  I'm sure it will be put online :)


--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Milos Rancic-2
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 6:51 AM, Keegan Peterzell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'll explain my perspective on Saturday at the SOPA panel for Wikimania.
>  It's very tl;dr.  I'm sure it will be put online :)

Come on, I won't listen it for sure. But if you write it here, I could
read it :)

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Milos Rancic-2
In reply to this post by Milos Rancic-2
Just a couple of words for those who don't understand...

Writing encyclopedia produces responsibility. Neither Anonymous,
neither Arab Spring would happen without Wikipedia.

A person has to be very miserable not to understand that; and not to
take its own responsibility.

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Keegan Peterzell
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:22 AM, Milos Rancic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just a couple of words for those who don't understand...
>
> Writing encyclopedia produces responsibility. Neither Anonymous,
> neither Arab Spring would happen without Wikipedia.
>
> A person has to be very miserable not to understand that; and not to
> take its own responsibility.



Okay, I'll bite.  This is just my opinion and based on SOPA in the United
States and what our government represents.

1. Freedom

We have freedoms and we have liberties.  Freedoms are guaranteed in our
Bill of Rights and they are fundamental to our existence.  Liberties are
granted by law.  Politics being the interaction of people deciding what is
best for the people.

Laws and legislation libertize our freedoms.  We have freedom of speech,
but it's regulated to an extent.  We have freedom of assembly, but there
are laws requiring permits.  We have a right to bare arms, but there are
gun control laws.  We take these freedoms and move them to the political
realm, where we control each other with them.  These things are not really
freedoms, they are not truly philosophical ideas of things that can be free
because they deal with just humans.

Knowledge is not political.  Knowledge is free.  Other animals learn.
 Plants learn.  They share knowledge among each other.  Learning and
education is something that no matter how much humans may try to
politically restrict or influence, it is impossible. Even the dystopian
classics like *1984* and *Fahrenheit 451* maintain this virtue.

2. Politics

When we black-out one of our projects, we remove our ideal and the
fundamental principle that we support the freedom of knowledge.  What we do
it move the idea into the human realm, where we care about things like
regulations and how it relates to "what is ours."  None of it is ours.  We
release it under free license.

To claim that we have a responsibility for what we write is contrary to the
notion of fully submitting it for reuse and/or modification, unless what
was written was inappropriate by community standards.  When we take the *Atlas
Shrugged* stance of taking our ball and going home to fight politics and
regulation, we have done a disservice to both mankind and the idea of
knowledge.  We may have copyright, but we don't own a thing that we have
done.  It is not ours to take away.

3. Business

When we black-out one of our projects in protest of politics, we are
protesting business and money.  Those are what drive our global political
systems, and these are things that we eschew.  SOPA and other such laws
have to do with national attempts to regulate copyright on the internet.
 I'm still not clear, despite all the arguments that I have read, that this
applies to websites that release content under free license and take due
diligence to remove copyright violations, because we do not believe in
issuing copyright for our intellectual property.

4. Summation

When we use our websites for political protest, we are a level below our
idea.  Our idea is above politics.  To put our idea into politics
diminishes its power.  We provide information for knowledge and education.
 A black-out causes awareness, not education.  While politicians may be
influenced by the media buzz about the black-outs, it is not because of
people that the legislation gets put away.  It's about the money. The
legislation will return in a different form in the future.  Shall we just
continue to black-out?  We lose our teeth and some dignity each time we do
so.  Only our ability to educate will change the future in the politics of
knowledge.

Keep knowledge free.  All the time.

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Milos Rancic-2
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Keegan Peterzell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Okay, I'll bite.  This is just my opinion and based on SOPA in the United
> States and what our government represents.

Thanks! I am responding as a non-cognitivist moral skeptic nihilist.

> We have freedoms and we have liberties.  Freedoms are guaranteed in our
> Bill of Rights and they are fundamental to our existence.  Liberties are
> granted by law.  Politics being the interaction of people deciding what is
> best for the people.

I really don't care about your Bill of Rights.

> Laws and legislation libertize our freedoms.  We have freedom of speech,
> but it's regulated to an extent.  We have freedom of assembly, but there
> are laws requiring permits.  We have a right to bare arms, but there are
> gun control laws.  We take these freedoms and move them to the political
> realm, where we control each other with them.  These things are not really
> freedoms, they are not truly philosophical ideas of things that can be free
> because they deal with just humans.

I really don't care about your laws and legislation.

> Knowledge is not political.  Knowledge is free.  Other animals learn.
>  Plants learn.  They share knowledge among each other.  Learning and
> education is something that no matter how much humans may try to
> politically restrict or influence, it is impossible. Even the dystopian
> classics like *1984* and *Fahrenheit 451* maintain this virtue.

It depends of your definition of "political". If biological evolution
is a part of knowledge, it's political for significant specter of US
population.

> When we black-out one of our projects, we remove our ideal and the
> fundamental principle that we support the freedom of knowledge.  What we do
> it move the idea into the human realm, where we care about things like
> regulations and how it relates to "what is ours."  None of it is ours.  We
> release it under free license.

That's too much for my state produce by rakija.

> To claim that we have a responsibility for what we write is contrary to the
> notion of fully submitting it for reuse and/or modification, unless what
> was written was inappropriate by community standards.  When we take the *Atlas
> Shrugged* stance of taking our ball and going home to fight politics and
> regulation, we have done a disservice to both mankind and the idea of
> knowledge.  We may have copyright, but we don't own a thing that we have
> done.  It is not ours to take away.

As a non-cognitivist moral skeptic nihilist, I agree with you. In the
same sense as I don't see anything wrong in activating atomic bomb
below your or my city.

However, if we agree that there is a common interest between you and
me, then we are both responsible for the consequences of what we are
doing. Knowledge liberates people. In oppressive regimes (which is
equal to the whole Earth; maybe except Iceland), liberated people
cause troubles. And we are responsible for those troubles.

> When we black-out one of our projects in protest of politics, we are
> protesting business and money.  Those are what drive our global political
> systems, and these are things that we eschew.  SOPA and other such laws
> have to do with national attempts to regulate copyright on the internet.
>  I'm still not clear, despite all the arguments that I have read, that this
> applies to websites that release content under free license and take due
> diligence to remove copyright violations, because we do not believe in
> issuing copyright for our intellectual property.

I don't care about your business and money.

> When we use our websites for political protest, we are a level below our
> idea.  Our idea is above politics.  To put our idea into politics
> diminishes its power.  We provide information for knowledge and education.
>  A black-out causes awareness, not education.  While politicians may be
> influenced by the media buzz about the black-outs, it is not because of
> people that the legislation gets put away.  It's about the money. The
> legislation will return in a different form in the future.  Shall we just
> continue to black-out?  We lose our teeth and some dignity each time we do
> so.  Only our ability to educate will change the future in the politics of
> knowledge.

As mentioned above, our idea *is* politics.

> Keep knowledge free.  All the time.

As well as people are.

BTW, sorry for seemingly short answers. However, your moral prejudices
don't give me anything else as an option.

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Keegan Peterzell
In reply to this post by Keegan Peterzell
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Keegan Peterzell <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> Neither Anonymous,
>> neither Arab Spring would happen without Wikipedia.
>
>
I think you meant without the technology and concept that we can be
connected as humans all the time.  We can trace these happenings back to
the telegraph and radio, or even the bold idea of the ink and paper.

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Milos Rancic-2
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Keegan Peterzell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Keegan Peterzell <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>> Neither Anonymous,
>>> neither Arab Spring would happen without Wikipedia.
>>
> I think you meant without the technology and concept that we can be
> connected as humans all the time.  We can trace these happenings back to
> the telegraph and radio, or even the bold idea of the ink and paper.

No. The knowledge. The same one which produced French Revolution. Encyclopedia.

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Keegan Peterzell
In reply to this post by Milos Rancic-2
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 1:16 AM, Milos Rancic <[hidden email]> wrote:


>
> Thanks! I am responding as a non-cognitivist moral skeptic nihilist.
>
>
CAUTION: HUMOR!

Nice marmot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L2qP-xQ_7o


--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Milos Rancic-2
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 8:21 AM, Keegan Peterzell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 1:16 AM, Milos Rancic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks! I am responding as a non-cognitivist moral skeptic nihilist.
>>
> CAUTION: HUMOR!
>
> Nice marmot.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L2qP-xQ_7o

Yes, it's a part of humor. But I *am* non-cognitivist moral skeptic nihilist :)

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Keegan Peterzell
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Milos Rancic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 8:21 AM, Keegan Peterzell <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 1:16 AM, Milos Rancic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Thanks! I am responding as a non-cognitivist moral skeptic nihilist.
> >>
> > CAUTION: HUMOR!
> >
> > Nice marmot.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L2qP-xQ_7o
>
> Yes, it's a part of humor. But I *am* non-cognitivist moral skeptic
> nihilist :)


I just wanted to be clear I didn't mean that offensively, just for humor
 :)

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Keegan Peterzell
In reply to this post by Milos Rancic-2
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 1:18 AM, Milos Rancic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Keegan Peterzell <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Keegan Peterzell <
> [hidden email]>wrote:
> >>
> >> Neither Anonymous,
> >>> neither Arab Spring would happen without Wikipedia.
> >>
> > I think you meant without the technology and concept that we can be
> > connected as humans all the time.  We can trace these happenings back to
> > the telegraph and radio, or even the bold idea of the ink and paper.
>
> No. The knowledge. The same one which produced French Revolution.
> Encyclopedia.
>
>
Right, that was ink and paper.  That was words that were not taken away but
given as education as to the wrongdoings of the French Empire.  Providing
knowledge, not taking it away.

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
12345