[Wikimedia-l] Russian internet censorship

[Wikimedia-l] Russian internet censorship

metasj
Russia seems to be experimenting with Internet blacklist and whitelist
programs.  Is ru:wp likely to be affected by this?

http://globalvoicesonline.org/2013/02/03/russian-internet-censorship-imitates-satire/

https://www.accessnow.org/blog/2013/02/08/russia-blacklists-site-hosting-blogs-of-prominent-journalists

SJ

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian internet censorship

Yaroslav M. Blanter
On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 05:43:25 -0600, Samuel Klein wrote:

> Russia seems to be experimenting with Internet blacklist and
> whitelist
> programs.  Is ru:wp likely to be affected by this?
>

> http://globalvoicesonline.org/2013/02/03/russian-internet-censorship-imitates-satire/
>

> https://www.accessnow.org/blog/2013/02/08/russia-blacklists-site-hosting-blogs-of-prominent-journalists
>

> SJ

To my understanding, this is unpredictable. The laws in the form they
passed the parliament make, in principle, some content in Wikipedia and
on Commons illegal. On the other hand, the laws are not reasonable, and
will be implemented occasionally. Whether Wikipedia is going to be
affected is probably determined by whether some zealous investigator
will decide to pursue the case. So far, they first warned websites and
then blacklisted them if no reaction was forthcoming, but this practice
can change anytime.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian internet censorship

Виктория-6
There was an attempt to curtail access to Wikipedia in School N22 in Orel
in October - an assistant prosecutor put some Russian swear words into a
search engine on one of the schools' computers and - o dear! - discovered
that the Russian Wikipedia has an article about swear words citing them.

The provider got a demand to block access to the page. But AFAIK this is as
far as this particular story went; Wikipedia is too high profile to start a
war with it.

There is a Russian saying: "However strict Russia's laws may be, their full
power is reduced due to a lack of regular enforcement."
Victoria

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Yaroslav M. Blanter <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 05:43:25 -0600, Samuel Klein wrote:
>
>> Russia seems to be experimenting with Internet blacklist and whitelist
>> programs.  Is ru:wp likely to be affected by this?
>>

>> http://globalvoicesonline.org/**2013/02/03/russian-internet-**
>> censorship-imitates-satire/<http://globalvoicesonline.org/2013/02/03/russian-internet-censorship-imitates-satire/>
>>

>> https://www.accessnow.org/**blog/2013/02/08/russia-**
>> blacklists-site-hosting-blogs-**of-prominent-journalists<https://www.accessnow.org/blog/2013/02/08/russia-blacklists-site-hosting-blogs-of-prominent-journalists>
>>

>> SJ

> To my understanding, this is unpredictable. The laws in the form they
> passed the parliament make, in principle, some content in Wikipedia and on
> Commons illegal. On the other hand, the laws are not reasonable, and will
> be implemented occasionally. Whether Wikipedia is going to be affected is
> probably determined by whether some zealous investigator will decide to
> pursue the case. So far, they first warned websites and then blacklisted
> them if no reaction was forthcoming, but this practice can change anytime.
>
> Cheers
> Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian internet censorship

Marco Fleckinger-2
If you're big enough you might not have a problem in Russia.

But, BTW: How do we deal with such cases? If a country doesn't want
specific content, are this sites blocked either by Wikimedia or a Big
Firewall like in China.

Cheers

Marco

On 02/12/2013 04:11 PM, Виктория wrote:

> There was an attempt to curtail access to Wikipedia in School N22 in Orel
> in October - an assistant prosecutor put some Russian swear words into a
> search engine on one of the schools' computers and - o dear! - discovered
> that the Russian Wikipedia has an article about swear words citing them.
>
> The provider got a demand to block access to the page. But AFAIK this is as
> far as this particular story went; Wikipedia is too high profile to start a
> war with it.
>
> There is a Russian saying: "However strict Russia's laws may be, their full
> power is reduced due to a lack of regular enforcement."
> Victoria
>

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Yaroslav M. Blanter<[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 05:43:25 -0600, Samuel Klein wrote:
>>
>>> Russia seems to be experimenting with Internet blacklist and whitelist
>>> programs.  Is ru:wp likely to be affected by this?
>>>

>>> http://globalvoicesonline.org/**2013/02/03/russian-internet-**
>>> censorship-imitates-satire/<http://globalvoicesonline.org/2013/02/03/russian-internet-censorship-imitates-satire/>
>>>

>>> https://www.accessnow.org/**blog/2013/02/08/russia-**
>>> blacklists-site-hosting-blogs-**of-prominent-journalists<https://www.accessnow.org/blog/2013/02/08/russia-blacklists-site-hosting-blogs-of-prominent-journalists>
>>>

>>> SJ

>> To my understanding, this is unpredictable. The laws in the form they
>> passed the parliament make, in principle, some content in Wikipedia and on
>> Commons illegal. On the other hand, the laws are not reasonable, and will
>> be implemented occasionally. Whether Wikipedia is going to be affected is
>> probably determined by whether some zealous investigator will decide to
>> pursue the case. So far, they first warned websites and then blacklisted
>> them if no reaction was forthcoming, but this practice can change anytime.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Russian internet censorship

Fred Bauder-2
We don't block or censor stuff from the center, however, self-censorship
by the editing community undoubtedly goes on at language Wikipedias both
to conform to the views of the editing community and to avoid obvious
trouble.

Fred