[Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

[Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

James Forrester-2
On behalf of the Wikimania 2013[0] selection Jury[1], I can announce
that we have awarded the conference to Hong Kong. Congratulations to
the bidding team, and to the London team who also did a particularly
excellent job.

There were five official bids: Bristol, Naples and Surakarta, as well
as the two finalists of Hong Kong and London[2]. The Jury and the
bidding teams discussed them in three public IRC meetings in April. We
determined that Hong Kong and London were the strongest contenders,
and decided to focus on these two as the finalists. After further
e-mail enquiries, and considering evaluation by Wikimedia Foundation
staff, a final, private meeting was held to reach a final decision.

The Jury was pleased by the high quality in both the final bids, and
required over three hours' discussion to reach the final verdict. We
considered each bid according to the criteria[3], focussing on
following factors: Venue, Program, Geo-location & Logistics, Local
Opportunities, Accommodations, Team & Chapter, and Budget & Finances.
We found consensus that the Hong Kong bid was the stronger, especially
because of their strong advance planning; solid support by the local
Wikimedia Chapter, the community, local government, and a partner
organisation that is experienced in planning conferences; and their
good combination of venue and accommodation.

The Jury has confidence that the Hong Kong bidding team will pull off
a magnificent Wikimania, and we are pleased for our global community
to return to Asia once again. With a motivated group of volunteers who
have experience in organizing smaller Wikimedia activities, and a
partner with experience in organizing larger-scale events, they have
found a good mix to create a successful conference. The Jury did also
identify some weaker points in each the bids, and will be happy to
share those privately with the teams so that the Hong Kong team can
use that to their advantage in organizing Wikimania 2013, and the
other teams can use the feedback to improve their bids for a future
year.

We thank all candidate teams - the process is gruelling and requires a
very substantial time investment. They are all to be commended for
their submissions.

To use this soap-box for a moment, as Moderator I would like to remind
the community that we hope that this time was the last that we use
this ad-hoc process to decide on the Wikimania venue, and encourage
everyone to engage with the discussion on Meta[4] about how we might
select Wikimania 2014 and beyond in a more open, community-led way.
Please, do join in the discussions.

Yours,

James Forrester
Moderator, Wikimania 2013 Jury
For the Wikimania 2013 Jury

[0] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013
[1] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_jury
[2] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_bids
[3] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_judging_criteria
[4] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_Advisory_Group
--
James D. Forrester
[hidden email] | [hidden email]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimania-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

Jan-Bart de Vreede-3
Congratulations to the winning bid ! Its amazing to see all the hard work all the cities put in their bids!

And a thanks to James and all the jury members for once again going through an intensive process to reach a decision!

Jan-Bart

On 3 mei 2012, at 01:52, James Forrester <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> identify some weaker points in each the bids, and will be happy to
> share those privately with the teams so that the Hong Kong team can
> use that to their advantage in organizing Wikimania 2013, and the
> other teams can use the feedback to improve their bids for a future
> year.
>
> We thank all candidate teams - the process is gruelling and requires a
> very substantial time investment. They are all to be commended for
> their submissions.
>
> To use this soap-box for a moment, as Moderator I would like to remind
> the community that we hope that this time was the last that we use
> this ad-hoc process to decide on the Wikimania venue, and encourage
> everyone to engage with the discussion on Meta[4] about how we might
> select Wikimania 2014 and beyond in a more open, community-led way.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

Kul Wadhwa
Congratulations to Team Hong Kong!

Looking forward to dim sum in 2013 ;)

--Kul

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 4:52 PM, James Forrester <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> everyone to engage with the discussion on Meta[4] about how we might
> select Wikimania 2014 and beyond in a more open, community-led way.
> Please, do join in the discussions.
>
> Yours,
>
> James Forrester
> Moderator, Wikimania 2013 Jury
> For the Wikimania 2013 Jury
>
> [0] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013
> [1] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_jury
> [2] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_bids
> [3] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_judging_criteria
> [4] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_Advisory_Group
> --
> James D. Forrester
> [hidden email] | [hidden email]
> [[Wikipedia:User:Jdforrester|James F.]]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

metasj

<
> [4] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_Advisory_Group

A standing community group that helps guide wikimania bids would be wonderful.
Let's make it happen!  Are any of ths year's jurors interested in
being involved over the coming months in that sort of work?

SJ

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimania-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

Mateus Nobre-2
Awesome!!!

Congratulations!
Hope to be there.

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 8:52 PM, James Forrester <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> everyone to engage with the discussion on Meta[4] about how we might
> select Wikimania 2014 and beyond in a more open, community-led way.
> Please, do join in the discussions.
>
> Yours,
>
> James Forrester
> Moderator, Wikimania 2013 Jury
> For the Wikimania 2013 Jury
>
> [0] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013
> [1] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_jury
> [2] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_bids
> [3] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_judging_criteria
> [4] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_Advisory_Group
> --
> James D. Forrester
> [hidden email] | [hidden email]
> [[Wikipedia:User:Jdforrester|James F.]]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimania-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

Nurunnaby Chowdhury Hasive
Congrtz Hong kong team!

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Mateus Nobre <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> > identify some weaker points in each the bids, and will be happy to
> > share those privately with the teams so that the Hong Kong team can
> > use that to their advantage in organizing Wikimania 2013, and the
> > other teams can use the feedback to improve their bids for a future
> > year.
> >
> > We thank all candidate teams - the process is gruelling and requires a
> > very substantial time investment. They are all to be commended for
> > their submissions.
> >
> > To use this soap-box for a moment, as Moderator I would like to remind
> > the community that we hope that this time was the last that we use
> > this ad-hoc process to decide on the Wikimania venue, and encourage
> > everyone to engage with the discussion on Meta[4] about how we might
> > select Wikimania 2014 and beyond in a more open, community-led way.

Best Regards,
*Nurunnaby* *Chowdhury* *Hasive*
*User: nhasive*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

Shabab Mustafa
Congratulations! Best wishes for Hong Kong. :)
---
Shabab Mustafa

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimania-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

Katie Chan
Congratulation Hong Kong! I'll be there. :)

     - Heinrich Heine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimania-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

Patricio Molina
Congratulations HK!

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 4:45 AM, Katie Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Congratulation Hong Kong! I'll be there. :)
>
> --
> Experience is a good school but the fees are high.
>    - Heinrich Heine

Patricio Molina
http://twitter.com/patriciomolina

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimania-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

Jeromy-Yu Chan (Jerry~Yuyu)
Halo Everyone

Thank you for your congratulations, we honored that we are awarded to host
the 9th global Wikimedia Conference.
our team will work as best as we can, to facilitate such conference, and
meet your expectations.

and we are lOOking forward to seeing you here in Hong Kong, and hope you
will enjoy the conference!

on behalf of Local Team, Wikimania 2013

--
Jeromy-Yu Chan, Jerry
http://yuyu.be/txt

Tel (Mobile): +852 9279 1601
Οὔτε τι τῶν ἀνθρωπίνων ἄξιον ὂν μεγάλης σπουδῆς

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimania-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

Ivan Martínez
Congratulations to our brothers of Hong Kong. Hope to have a nice Wikimania
2013!

There's other *amigos* who want to have to all in their country in a
Wikimania 2016 XD

2012/5/3 Jeromy-Yu Chan (Jerry~Yuyu) <[hidden email]>

> Halo Everyone
>
> Thank you for your congratulations, we honored that we are awarded to host
> the 9th global Wikimedia Conference.
> our team will work as best as we can, to facilitate such conference, and
> meet your expectations.
>
> and we are lOOking forward to seeing you here in Hong Kong, and hope you
> will enjoy the conference!
>
> on behalf of Local Team, Wikimania 2013
>
> --
> Jeromy-Yu Chan, Jerry
> http://yuyu.be/txt
> http://about.me/jeromyu
> UID: Jeromyu
> (on Facebook, Twitter, Plurk & most sites)
>
> Tel (Mobile): +852 9279 1601
> Οὔτε τι τῶν ἀνθρωπίνων ἄξιον ὂν μεγάλης σπουδῆς

*Atentamente:

Iván Martínez
Coordinador General
Wikimedia México
mx.wikimedia.org

Imagina un mundo en donde cada persona del planeta pueda tener acceso libre
a la suma total del conocimiento humano.
Eso es lo que estamos haciendo <http://es.wikipedia.org>. *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimania-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

Sarah Stierch-2
And congratulations to our sisters of Hong Kong too :)

Seriously - congratulations and I hope to be there!

-Sarah

On 5/3/12 1:06 PM, Ivan Martínez wrote:

> Congratulations to our brothers of Hong Kong. Hope to have a nice Wikimania
> 2013!
>
> There's other *amigos* who want to have to all in their country in a
> Wikimania 2016 XD
>
> 2012/5/3 Jeromy-Yu Chan (Jerry~Yuyu)<[hidden email]>
>
>> Halo Everyone
>>
>> Thank you for your congratulations, we honored that we are awarded to host
>> the 9th global Wikimedia Conference.
>> our team will work as best as we can, to facilitate such conference, and
>> meet your expectations.
>>
>> and we are lOOking forward to seeing you here in Hong Kong, and hope you
>> will enjoy the conference!
>>
>> on behalf of Local Team, Wikimania 2013
>>
>> --
>> Jeromy-Yu Chan, Jerry
>> http://yuyu.be/txt
>> http://about.me/jeromyu
>> UID: Jeromyu
>> (on Facebook, Twitter, Plurk&  most sites)
>>
>> Tel (Mobile): +852 9279 1601
>> Οὔτε τι τῶν ἀνθρωπίνων ἄξιον ὂν μεγάλης σπουδῆς

*Sarah Stierch*
*/Wikimedia Foundation Community Fellow/*
 >>Mind the gap! Support Wikipedia women's outreach: donate today
<https://donate.wikimedia.org/><<

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimania-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

Chris Keating-2
Congratulations from the UK - I'm sure we will all be looking closely at
the feedback on the London bid to see what we can do better for 2014!

Regards,

Chris