[Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2014: London

[Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2014: London

James Forrester-2
Dear Wikimedians,

On behalf of the Wikimania 2014 selection Jury, after review and
evaluation of the two final bids, we have awarded the conference to
London. Congratulations to the London team, and to the Arusha team who
also put forward a solid effort.

We were concerned this year to see that both bidding teams put forward
proposals which were costly and complicated, in contrast to the
Wikimania tradition. The Jury briefly considered re-opening the bid
for other teams, and asked both bids to present a simpler core budget
and lower-cost options for attendees.

The London team took our comments to heart and decreased their core
budget to 20% of their initial proposal, and have committed to finding
ways to reduce the cost for community attendees.

We encourage future bidding teams to not give up their dreams, to keep
aiming for the stars, but at the same time, to not forget the spirit
of Wikimedia: a volunteer movement that makes creative use of limited
resources. We look forward to the proposed Wikimania Committee setting
out clearer guidelines on these principles.

The process to bid for hosting Wikimania requires a substantial time
investment, and we thank both candidate teams for their submissions
and hard work.

Yours,

James Forrester
Moderator, Wikimania 2014 Jury
For the Wikimania 2014 Jury
--
James D. Forrester
[hidden email]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2014: London

Sarah Stierch-2
Congratulations to the London team, and great work on all parties for
proposals. It's quite a task, and one that is at times just as emotional
and intensive in actually planning Wikimania.

I look forward to lending a hand with London, and I really look forward to
partying at the Tate Modern ;) (Can we get Kraftwerk to play the
party...?[1])

Sarah
[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaLVvju6WZ8

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 10:10 AM, James Forrester <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Dear Wikimedians,
>
> On behalf of the Wikimania 2014 selection Jury, after review and
> evaluation of the two final bids, we have awarded the conference to
> London. Congratulations to the London team, and to the Arusha team who
> also put forward a solid effort.
>
> We were concerned this year to see that both bidding teams put forward
> proposals which were costly and complicated, in contrast to the
> Wikimania tradition. The Jury briefly considered re-opening the bid
> for other teams, and asked both bids to present a simpler core budget
> and lower-cost options for attendees.
>
> The London team took our comments to heart and decreased their core
> budget to 20% of their initial proposal, and have committed to finding
> ways to reduce the cost for community attendees.
>
> We encourage future bidding teams to not give up their dreams, to keep
> aiming for the stars, but at the same time, to not forget the spirit
> of Wikimedia: a volunteer movement that makes creative use of limited
> resources. We look forward to the proposed Wikimania Committee setting
> out clearer guidelines on these principles.
>
> The process to bid for hosting Wikimania requires a substantial time
> investment, and we thank both candidate teams for their submissions
> and hard work.
>
> Yours,
>
> James Forrester
> Moderator, Wikimania 2014 Jury
> For the Wikimania 2014 Jury
> --
> James D. Forrester
> [hidden email]
> [[Wikipedia:User:Jdforrester|James F.]] (speaking purely in a personal
> capacity)

*Sarah Stierch*
*Museumist, open culture advocate, and Wikimedian*
*www.sarahstierch.com*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2014: London

Gregory Varnum-2
Congratulations to the London team for your successful bid and to the Arusha team for putting in a solid effort!  I look forward to getting my UK groove on next year.

-greg aka varnent

On 1 May 2013, at 1:28 PM, Sarah Stierch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Congratulations to the London team, and great work on all parties for
> proposals. It's quite a task, and one that is at times just as emotional
> and intensive in actually planning Wikimania.
>
> I look forward to lending a hand with London, and I really look forward to
> partying at the Tate Modern ;) (Can we get Kraftwerk to play the
> party...?[1])
>

> Sarah
> [1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaLVvju6WZ8
>

> On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 10:10 AM, James Forrester <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Dear Wikimedians,
>>
>> On behalf of the Wikimania 2014 selection Jury, after review and
>> evaluation of the two final bids, we have awarded the conference to
>> London. Congratulations to the London team, and to the Arusha team who
>> also put forward a solid effort.
>>
>> We were concerned this year to see that both bidding teams put forward
>> proposals which were costly and complicated, in contrast to the
>> Wikimania tradition. The Jury briefly considered re-opening the bid
>> for other teams, and asked both bids to present a simpler core budget
>> and lower-cost options for attendees.
>>
>> The London team took our comments to heart and decreased their core
>> budget to 20% of their initial proposal, and have committed to finding
>> ways to reduce the cost for community attendees.
>>
>> We encourage future bidding teams to not give up their dreams, to keep
>> aiming for the stars, but at the same time, to not forget the spirit
>> of Wikimedia: a volunteer movement that makes creative use of limited
>> resources. We look forward to the proposed Wikimania Committee setting
>> out clearer guidelines on these principles.
>>
>> The process to bid for hosting Wikimania requires a substantial time
>> investment, and we thank both candidate teams for their submissions
>> and hard work.
>>
>> Yours,
>>
>> James Forrester
>> Moderator, Wikimania 2014 Jury
>> For the Wikimania 2014 Jury
>> --
>> James D. Forrester
>> [hidden email]
>> [[Wikipedia:User:Jdforrester|James F.]] (speaking purely in a personal
>> capacity)

> *Sarah Stierch*
> *Museumist, open culture advocate, and Wikimedian*
> *www.sarahstierch.com*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2014: London

Chris Keating-2
Many congratulations to the London bid team! London will be a great venue,
and see you all here next summer :-)

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 6:42 PM, Gregory Varnum <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Congratulations to the London team for your successful bid and to the
> Arusha team for putting in a solid effort!  I look forward to getting my UK
> groove on next year.
>
> -greg aka varnent
>

> On 1 May 2013, at 1:28 PM, Sarah Stierch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Congratulations to the London team, and great work on all parties for
> > proposals. It's quite a task, and one that is at times just as emotional
> > and intensive in actually planning Wikimania.
> >
> > I look forward to lending a hand with London, and I really look forward
> > partying at the Tate Modern ;) (Can we get Kraftwerk to play the
> > party...?[1])
> >

> > Sarah
> > [1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaLVvju6WZ8
> >

> > On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 10:10 AM, James Forrester <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Dear Wikimedians,
> >>
> >> On behalf of the Wikimania 2014 selection Jury, after review and
> >> evaluation of the two final bids, we have awarded the conference to
> >> London. Congratulations to the London team, and to the Arusha team who
> >> also put forward a solid effort.
> >>
> >> We were concerned this year to see that both bidding teams put forward
> >> proposals which were costly and complicated, in contrast to the
> >> Wikimania tradition. The Jury briefly considered re-opening the bid
> >> for other teams, and asked both bids to present a simpler core budget
> >> and lower-cost options for attendees.
> >>
> >> The London team took our comments to heart and decreased their core
> >> budget to 20% of their initial proposal, and have committed to finding
> >> ways to reduce the cost for community attendees.
> >>
> >> We encourage future bidding teams to not give up their dreams, to keep
> >> aiming for the stars, but at the same time, to not forget the spirit
> >> of Wikimedia: a volunteer movement that makes creative use of limited
> >> resources. We look forward to the proposed Wikimania Committee setting
> >> out clearer guidelines on these principles.
> >>
> >> The process to bid for hosting Wikimania requires a substantial time
> >> investment, and we thank both candidate teams for their submissions
> >> and hard work.
> >>
> >> Yours,
> >>
> >> James Forrester
> >> Moderator, Wikimania 2014 Jury
> >> For the Wikimania 2014 Jury
> >> --
> >> James D. Forrester
> >> [hidden email]
> >> [[Wikipedia:User:Jdforrester|James F.]] (speaking purely in a personal
> >> capacity)

> > *Sarah Stierch*
> > *Museumist, open culture advocate, and Wikimedian*
> > *www.sarahstierch.com*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2014: London

Nurunnaby Chowdhury Hasive
Congratulations to the London team..

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 11:49 PM, Chris Keating
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Many congratulations to the London bid team! London will be a great venue,
> and see you all here next summer :-)
>

> On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 6:42 PM, Gregory Varnum <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > Congratulations to the London team for your successful bid and to the
> > Arusha team for putting in a solid effort!  I look forward to getting my
> UK
> > groove on next year.
> >
> > -greg aka varnent
> >

> > On 1 May 2013, at 1:28 PM, Sarah Stierch <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Congratulations to the London team, and great work on all parties for
> > > proposals. It's quite a task, and one that is at times just as
> emotional
> > > and intensive in actually planning Wikimania.
> > >
> > > I look forward to lending a hand with London, and I really look forward
> > > partying at the Tate Modern ;) (Can we get Kraftwerk to play the
> > > party...?[1])
> > >

> > > Sarah
> > > [1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaLVvju6WZ8
> > >

> > > On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 10:10 AM, James Forrester <
> [hidden email]

> > > --
> > > --
> > > *Sarah Stierch*
> > > *Museumist, open culture advocate, and Wikimedian*
> > > *www.sarahstierch.com*

*Nurunnaby Chowdhury Hasive*
Moderator | Prothom-Alo Blog <http://www.prothom-aloblog.com>
Assignment Reporter | The Daily Prothom-Alo <http://www.prothom-alo.com>
Auto-confirmed, Reviewer & Roll backer Editor | Bangla
Wikipedia<http://bn.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:nhasive>
Treasurer & Coordinator (PR) | Bangladesh Open Source Network
(BdOSN)<http://www.bdosn.org>
Central Team MOVers | Bangladesh Mathematical Olympiad Committee
(BdMO)<http://www.matholympiad.org.bd>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2014: London

Katie Chan-2
Congratulations to everyone who's been involved with the London bid.

Looking forward to seeing many of you in London next year!

On 1 May 2013 18:10, James Forrester <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Wikimedians,
>
> On behalf of the Wikimania 2014 selection Jury, after review and
> evaluation of the two final bids, we have awarded the conference to
> London. Congratulations to the London team, and to the Arusha team who
> also put forward a solid effort.
>
> We were concerned this year to see that both bidding teams put forward
> proposals which were costly and complicated, in contrast to the
> Wikimania tradition. The Jury briefly considered re-opening the bid
> for other teams, and asked both bids to present a simpler core budget
> and lower-cost options for attendees.
>
> The London team took our comments to heart and decreased their core
> budget to 20% of their initial proposal, and have committed to finding
> ways to reduce the cost for community attendees.
>
> We encourage future bidding teams to not give up their dreams, to keep
> aiming for the stars, but at the same time, to not forget the spirit
> of Wikimedia: a volunteer movement that makes creative use of limited
> resources. We look forward to the proposed Wikimania Committee setting
> out clearer guidelines on these principles.
>
> The process to bid for hosting Wikimania requires a substantial time
> investment, and we thank both candidate teams for their submissions
> and hard work.
>
> Yours,
>
> James Forrester
> Moderator, Wikimania 2014 Jury
> For the Wikimania 2014 Jury
> --
> James D. Forrester
> [hidden email]
> [[Wikipedia:User:Jdforrester|James F.]] (speaking purely in a personal
> capacity)

Katie Chan
Volunteer Support Organiser
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 20 7065 0990
+44 (0) 7885 980 534

Wikimedia UK is a Charitable Company registered in England and Wales.
Registered Company No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office: 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The
Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control
over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimania-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2014: London

Patricio Lorente
Congratulations, London! See you there!

                               Patricio

2013/5/1 Dhaval S. Vyas <[hidden email]>:

> Congratulations UK! So happy with the news, after all wikimania is coming at
> our doorstep...
>

> On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Katie Chan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Congratulations to everyone who's been involved with the London bid.
>>
>> Looking forward to seeing many of you in London next year!
>>

>> On 1 May 2013 18:10, James Forrester <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Wikimedians,
>>>
>>> On behalf of the Wikimania 2014 selection Jury, after review and
>>> evaluation of the two final bids, we have awarded the conference to
>>> London. Congratulations to the London team, and to the Arusha team who
>>> also put forward a solid effort.
>>>
>>> We were concerned this year to see that both bidding teams put forward
>>> proposals which were costly and complicated, in contrast to the
>>> Wikimania tradition. The Jury briefly considered re-opening the bid
>>> for other teams, and asked both bids to present a simpler core budget
>>> and lower-cost options for attendees.
>>>
>>> The London team took our comments to heart and decreased their core
>>> budget to 20% of their initial proposal, and have committed to finding
>>> ways to reduce the cost for community attendees.
>>>
>>> We encourage future bidding teams to not give up their dreams, to keep
>>> aiming for the stars, but at the same time, to not forget the spirit
>>> of Wikimedia: a volunteer movement that makes creative use of limited
>>> resources. We look forward to the proposed Wikimania Committee setting
>>> out clearer guidelines on these principles.
>>>
>>> The process to bid for hosting Wikimania requires a substantial time
>>> investment, and we thank both candidate teams for their submissions
>>> and hard work.
>>>
>>> Yours,
>>>
>>> James Forrester
>>> Moderator, Wikimania 2014 Jury
>>> For the Wikimania 2014 Jury
>>> --
>>> James D. Forrester
>>> [hidden email]
>>> [[Wikipedia:User:Jdforrester|James F.]] (speaking purely in a personal
>>> capacity)

>> --
>> Katie Chan
>> Volunteer Support Organiser
>> Wikimedia UK
>> +44 (0) 20 7065 0990
>> +44 (0) 7885 980 534
>>
>> Wikimedia UK is a Charitable Company registered in England and Wales.
>> Registered Company No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
>> Registered Office: 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
>> London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
>> Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The
>> Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
>> Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
>>
>> Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control
>> over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Patricio Lorente
Blog: http://www.patriciolorente.com.ar
Identi.ca // Twitter: @patriciolorente

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimania-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2014: London

Markus Glaser-2
Congratulations, London and WMUK! Looking foward to a Wikimania in a
city I already lived in ;) And my respect and many thanks to Arusha /
Tanzania. I would have loved to go to Africa this time and I really
think the Movement should make some efforts to make something like this
happen in the future.

Best, Markus

Am 01.05.2013 22:22, schrieb Patricio Lorente:

> Congratulations, London! See you there!
>
>                                 Patricio
>
> 2013/5/1 Dhaval S. Vyas <[hidden email]>:
>> Congratulations UK! So happy with the news, after all wikimania is coming at
>> our doorstep...
>>

>> On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Katie Chan <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Congratulations to everyone who's been involved with the London bid.
>>>
>>> Looking forward to seeing many of you in London next year!

>>> --
>>> Katie Chan
>>> Volunteer Support Organiser
>>> Wikimedia UK
>>> +44 (0) 20 7065 0990
>>> +44 (0) 7885 980 534
>>>
>>> Wikimedia UK is a Charitable Company registered in England and Wales.
>>> Registered Company No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
>>> Registered Office: 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
>>> London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
>>> Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The
>>> Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
>>> Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
>>>
>>> Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control
>>> over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Markus Glaser
WCA Council Member (WMDE)
Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimania-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2014: London

Charles Gregory-2
Congratulations WMUK and the London 2014 team!  Thanks also to the Arusha
bid - hopefully there will be another opportunity in the future!

Regards,

Charles / User:Chuq

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 6:30 AM, Markus Glaser <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Congratulations, London and WMUK! Looking foward to a Wikimania in a city
> I already lived in ;) And my respect and many thanks to Arusha / Tanzania.
> I would have loved to go to Africa this time and I really think the
> Movement should make some efforts to make something like this happen in the
> future.
>
> Best, Markus
>
> Am 01.05.2013 22:22, schrieb Patricio Lorente:
>
>  Congratulations, London! See you there!
>>
>>                                 Patricio
>>
>> 2013/5/1 Dhaval S. Vyas <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Congratulations UK! So happy with the news, after all wikimania is
>>> coming at
>>> our doorstep...

> Markus Glaser
> WCA Council Member (WMDE)
> Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimania-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2014: London

Tonmoy Khan
Congratulations to WMUK & London! Wish all the success for Wikimania 2014.

Cheers
Tonmoy
On May 2, 2013 4:07 AM, "Charles Gregory" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Congratulations WMUK and the London 2014 team!  Thanks also to the Arusha
> bid - hopefully there will be another opportunity in the future!
>
> Regards,
>
> Charles / User:Chuq
>

> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 6:30 AM, Markus Glaser <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > Congratulations, London and WMUK! Looking foward to a Wikimania in a city
> > I already lived in ;) And my respect and many thanks to Arusha /
> Tanzania.
> > I would have loved to go to Africa this time and I really think the
> > Movement should make some efforts to make something like this happen in
> the
> > future.
> >
> > Best, Markus
> >
> > Am 01.05.2013 22:22, schrieb Patricio Lorente:
> >
> >  Congratulations, London! See you there!
> >>
> >>                                 Patricio

> [hidden email]>

> who

> forward

> finding

> keep
> setting

> control

> > Markus Glaser
> > WCA Council Member (WMDE)
> > Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimania-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2014: London

Balázs Viczián
Congrats from WMHU and thanks for the mug! :)

Balázs