[Wikimedia-l] Sensory overloads

Romaine Wiki-2
Hi everyone,

In our movement we have a lot of different people, including people with a
different neurodiversity.

Then it can happen that with events organised by the Wikimedia movement,
there are people that get sensory overloads. it basically means that the
input through the senses gets too much at some point. This can result in an
emotional outburst, an instant heavy headache/migraine attack, or in my
case I go (almost) completely blank.

It is really hard to complain how it is like to people who have no
experiences with it.
I think however that we need as inclusive movement to be more aware of the
huge amount of varieties of people and there needs. For that reason I like
to share a thread on Twitter with you how a user I know well has
experienced it herself.

Read at: https://twitter.com/dodocurieux/status/1029743772584865792

Thank you!

Romaine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Sensory overloads

Samuel Patton
Thank you very much for sharing this. It is a personal growth area for me
and this thread gives really valuable first-hand experience.

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 11:42 AM, Romaine Wiki <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> In our movement we have a lot of different people, including people with a
> different neurodiversity.
>
> Then it can happen that with events organised by the Wikimedia movement,
> there are people that get sensory overloads. it basically means that the
> input through the senses gets too much at some point. This can result in an
> emotional outburst, an instant heavy headache/migraine attack, or in my
> case I go (almost) completely blank.
>
> It is really hard to complain how it is like to people who have no
> experiences with it.
> I think however that we need as inclusive movement to be more aware of the
> huge amount of varieties of people and there needs. For that reason I like
> to share a thread on Twitter with you how a user I know well has
> experienced it herself.
>
> Read at: https://twitter.com/dodocurieux/status/1029743772584865792
>

> Thank you!
>
> Romaine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Sensory overloads

Yaroslav Blanter
Thanks Romaine for sharing. As someone at the same side of the spectrum (I
get quickly tired in the places where a lot of people are gathering) I can
fully endorse this.

Cheers
Yaroslav

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 5:42 PM Romaine Wiki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> In our movement we have a lot of different people, including people with a
> different neurodiversity.
>
> Then it can happen that with events organised by the Wikimedia movement,
> there are people that get sensory overloads. it basically means that the
> input through the senses gets too much at some point. This can result in an
> emotional outburst, an instant heavy headache/migraine attack, or in my
> case I go (almost) completely blank.
>
> It is really hard to complain how it is like to people who have no
> experiences with it.
> I think however that we need as inclusive movement to be more aware of the
> huge amount of varieties of people and there needs. For that reason I like
> to share a thread on Twitter with you how a user I know well has
> experienced it herself.
>
> Read at: https://twitter.com/dodocurieux/status/1029743772584865792
>

> Thank you!
>
> Romaine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimania-l] Sensory overloads

Amir E. Aharoni
Thank you for sharing this, Romaine.

Our experiences are so different, and we should acknowledge it and cherish
it, and we need to respect all people and accommodate all people.

My experience is related and opposite at the same time. I sometimes tell
people that Wikimania is my social life. It's an exaggeration; it's
Wikimania and other Wikimedia-related events: hackathons, workshops, local
meetups. But that's really about it. The Wikimedia community is my social
life. Events other than Wikimedia events —weddings, holidays, parties, you
name it— can easily cause me to feel out of place and to experience
feelings described in this thread.

Wikimania is where I feel completely at home. But if it's not a place where
others can feel at home, it's a problem.

I remember one Wikimedia event that had an "introversion room". I remember
how some people cheered when the event organizer mentioned it in her
welcome speech. We need more of that: not only "introversion rooms" (even
though they are welcome), but anything that makes people feel welcome.

We need more of this consideration and inclusion not just because it's the
right and decent human thing to do. We need it because it's our expressed
goal to include every single human being. Who if not us?

בתאריך יום ד׳, 15 באוג׳ 2018, 18:42, מאת Romaine Wiki ‏<
[hidden email]>:

> Hi everyone,
>
> In our movement we have a lot of different people, including people with a
> different neurodiversity.
>
> Then it can happen that with events organised by the Wikimedia movement,
> there are people that get sensory overloads. it basically means that the
> input through the senses gets too much at some point. This can result in an
> emotional outburst, an instant heavy headache/migraine attack, or in my
> case I go (almost) completely blank.
>
> It is really hard to complain how it is like to people who have no
> experiences with it.
> I think however that we need as inclusive movement to be more aware of the
> huge amount of varieties of people and there needs. For that reason I like
> to share a thread on Twitter with you how a user I know well has
> experienced it herself.
>
> Read at: https://twitter.com/dodocurieux/status/1029743772584865792
>

> Thank you!
>
> Romaine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Sensory overloads

Paulo Santos Perneta
One more here. I'm quite prone to get awful migraines on those situations
of "sensorial overload". Though I'm often able to keep them at large with
medication and some natural means, it would be very nice to have some quiet
place to rest for a while, at least when our hotel room is not available.

I can very well understand what dodocurieux endures regarding what can be
perceived as invasive behavior, especially that one that are part of those
tricks(?) that are often used to make people socialize with each other in
those kind of events, such as the games he describes. Those "rituals of
initiation" may be fun, or at least endurable by many people, but there
should be the good sense and care to inform people beforehand that some
specific event may include that, or at least ask people before if it's OK
to go on.

All the best,

Paulo

Yaroslav Blanter <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia quarta, 15/08/2018 à(s)
17:32:

> Thanks Romaine for sharing. As someone at the same side of the spectrum (I
> get quickly tired in the places where a lot of people are gathering) I can
> fully endorse this.
>
> Cheers
> Yaroslav
>
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 5:42 PM Romaine Wiki <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > In our movement we have a lot of different people, including people with
> > different neurodiversity.
> >
> > Then it can happen that with events organised by the Wikimedia movement,
> > there are people that get sensory overloads. it basically means that the
> > input through the senses gets too much at some point. This can result in
> an
> > emotional outburst, an instant heavy headache/migraine attack, or in my
> > case I go (almost) completely blank.
> >
> > It is really hard to complain how it is like to people who have no
> > experiences with it.
> > I think however that we need as inclusive movement to be more aware of
> the
> > huge amount of varieties of people and there needs. For that reason I
> like
> > to share a thread on Twitter with you how a user I know well has
> > experienced it herself.
> >
> > Read at: https://twitter.com/dodocurieux/status/1029743772584865792
> >

> > Thank you!
> >
> > Romaine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimania-l] Sensory overloads

Paulo Santos Perneta
I hope it wasn't called "introversion room"... That sounds awful. :|

Paulo

Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia quarta,
15/08/2018 à(s) 17:44: