[Wikimedia-l] September 11 wiki

Tim Starling-2
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sep11wiki

I think it's disrespectful to solicit contributions towards a memorial
website, and then to fail to maintain that memorial website in a
searchable format.

Today, searching the web for phrases in contributed memorial pages
brings up only ancient, presumably unmaintained Wikipedia mirrors,
such as these:

http://encyclopedia.kids.net.au/page/da/Daniel_Brandhorst
http://www.knowledgerush.com/kr/encyclopedia/Daniel_Brandhorst/

In time, those will disappear from the web, as all other copies have
done. Thus, relatives of the deceased will have no way to discover
that these pages ever existed.

In 2007, the September 11 wiki was moved to a non-Wikimedia site,
evidently hosted by an individual without the capacity to preserve
that content for posterity. It was offline after only 3 years.

The data is still on our servers. I propose bringing the wiki back up,
in read only mode, and leaving it like that either until such time as
there is interest from a non-profit or government organisation in
taking over the responsibility of indefinite hosting. It would only
take an hour or so of ops work. It could stay like that for decades
without needing any further maintenance.

-- Tim Starling

Re: [Wikimedia-l] September 11 wiki

Nathan Awrich
I think it would be better to reformulate it into book format and make it
available as an e-book, for free download either directly from Wikimedia or
other outlets like iTunes or Amazon. That would be searchable, and I don't
know that hosting it in wiki form provides any benefits. Certainly as a
wiki it will never be rescued from permanent obscurity.

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 7:09 PM, Tim Starling <[hidden email]>wrote:

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sep11wiki
>
> I think it's disrespectful to solicit contributions towards a memorial
> website, and then to fail to maintain that memorial website in a
> searchable format.
>
> Today, searching the web for phrases in contributed memorial pages
> brings up only ancient, presumably unmaintained Wikipedia mirrors,
> such as these:
>
> http://encyclopedia.kids.net.au/page/da/Daniel_Brandhorst
> http://www.knowledgerush.com/kr/encyclopedia/Daniel_Brandhorst/
>
> In time, those will disappear from the web, as all other copies have
> done. Thus, relatives of the deceased will have no way to discover
> that these pages ever existed.
>
> In 2007, the September 11 wiki was moved to a non-Wikimedia site,
> evidently hosted by an individual without the capacity to preserve
> that content for posterity. It was offline after only 3 years.
>
> The data is still on our servers. I propose bringing the wiki back up,
> in read only mode, and leaving it like that either until such time as
> there is interest from a non-profit or government organisation in
> taking over the responsibility of indefinite hosting. It would only
> take an hour or so of ops work. It could stay like that for decades
> without needing any further maintenance.
>
> -- Tim Starling

Re: [Wikimedia-l] September 11 wiki

MZMcBride-2
Tim Starling wrote:
>https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sep11wiki
>
>I think it's disrespectful to solicit contributions towards a memorial
>website, and then to fail to maintain that memorial website in a
>searchable format.

I think there's general agreement that setting up this wiki was a mistake.
This isn't said out of callousness or indifference, it's just the
historical reality. Wikipedia was only eight months old when these attacks
took place. No subsequent major world event (e.g., the 2004 Indian Ocean
earthquake and tsunami) has had its own Wikimedia memorial wiki
established and it's very unlikely that we would ever set up another.

>The data is still on our servers. I propose bringing the wiki back up,
>in read only mode, and leaving it like that either until such time as
>there is interest from a non-profit or government organisation in
>taking over the responsibility of indefinite hosting.

We provide a dump of the September 11 wiki's contents here:
<http://dumps.wikimedia.org/backups-of-old-wikis.html>. Memorial sites,
while depressing and touching, are completely outside the scope of
Wikimedia's mission. I don't believe Wikimedia has an obligation, moral
or otherwise, to host this content in an Internet searchable format in
perpetuity. Anyone, including non-profits and government organizations,
can use the dump we provide as they see fit. Deciding to host this site
again would be a mistake and one that we happen to have already made once.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] September 11 wiki

Erik Moeller-4
On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 4:38 PM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We provide a dump of the September 11 wiki's contents here:
> <http://dumps.wikimedia.org/backups-of-old-wikis.html>. Memorial sites,
> while depressing and touching, are completely outside the scope of
> Wikimedia's mission. I don't believe Wikimedia has an obligation, moral
> or otherwise, to host this content in an Internet searchable format in
> perpetuity. Anyone, including non-profits and government organizations,
> can use the dump we provide as they see fit. Deciding to host this site
> again would be a mistake and one that we happen to have already made once.

+1. sep11.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foo already redirects to the IA copy, as
well. Anything else is a distraction and a waste of time, sorry.

Erik
--
Erik Möller

Re: [Wikimedia-l] September 11 wiki

Matthew Flaschen
On 11/20/2013 07:09 PM, Tim Starling wrote:
> In 2007, the September 11 wiki was moved to a non-Wikimedia site,
> evidently hosted by an individual without the capacity to preserve
> that content for posterity. It was offline after only 3 years.

It is still accessible at the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine
(http://wayback.archive.org/web/20060111221201/http://sep11.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page)
(if I try a later year, it seems to redirect to sep11memories.org).

Considering it will not be opened for editing again, that and the dumps
should be enough.

Matt Flaschen

Re: [Wikimedia-l] September 11 wiki

Thehelpfulone

> On 21 Nov 2013, at 00:52, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1. sep11.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foo already redirects to the IA copy, as
> well. Anything else is a distraction and a waste of time, sorry.

Perhaps it would be worth fixing the mobile redirect for the wiki, currently it doesn't seem to work/exist?

--
Thehelpfulone
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Thehelpfulone

On 21/11/13 12:23, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> On 11/20/2013 07:09 PM, Tim Starling wrote:
>> In 2007, the September 11 wiki was moved to a non-Wikimedia site,
>> evidently hosted by an individual without the capacity to preserve
>> that content for posterity. It was offline after only 3 years.
>
> It is still accessible at the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine
> (http://wayback.archive.org/web/20060111221201/http://sep11.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page)
> (if I try a later year, it seems to redirect to sep11memories.org).

I'm aware of that.

> Considering it will not be opened for editing again, that and the
> dumps should be enough.

I explained why I don't think it is enough. It is not searchable and
thus not discoverable for the few people in the world who might
actually care about it. There's no point in having it if it's not
discoverable.

On 21/11/13 11:38, MZMcBride wrote:

> Tim Starling wrote:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sep11wiki
>>
>> I think it's disrespectful to solicit contributions towards a memorial
>> website, and then to fail to maintain that memorial website in a
>> searchable format.
>
> I think there's general agreement that setting up this wiki was a mistake.
> This isn't said out of callousness or indifference, it's just the
> historical reality. Wikipedia was only eight months old when these attacks
> took place. No subsequent major world event (e.g., the 2004 Indian Ocean
> earthquake and tsunami) has had its own Wikimedia memorial wiki
> established and it's very unlikely that we would ever set up another.

Sure, but you can't undo it, once it is done. Maybe it was stupid to
take on this responsibility, but deleting the site is not an ethical
way to rectify the mistake.

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 7:23 PM, Tim Starling <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sure, but you can't undo it, once it is done. Maybe it was stupid to
> take on this responsibility, but deleting the site is not an ethical
> way to rectify the mistake.

If you _really really_ want to take this on, please consider just
creating a static HTML dump without the MediaWiki skin in a
subdirectory of dumps.wm.o (mebbe
http://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/static_html_dumps/ ), with robots.txt
rules to allow for indexing, rather than returning it to its previous
undead status.
--
Erik Möller

Re: [Wikimedia-l] September 11 wiki

Yann Forget-3
Hello,

2013/11/21 Nathan <[hidden email]>

> I think it would be better to reformulate it into book format and make it
> available as an e-book, for free download either directly from Wikimedia or
> other outlets like iTunes or Amazon. That would be searchable, and I don't
> know that hosting it in wiki form provides any benefits. Certainly as a
> wiki it will never be rescued from permanent obscurity.

I think that would be the best. I am sure many people could easily offer a
copy that way.

Regards,

Yann

Re: [Wikimedia-l] September 11 wiki

Victor Grigas
Tim,

You could start an indiegogo or a kickstarter campaign for this. I'm sure
you'd find funding and volunteers to keep it online. There is also a museum
on the ground zero site that you may want to get in touch with about such
an effort : http://www.911memorial.org/  They may be interested in telling
the story of the Sept11wiki, and possibly keeping it online.

When WP was new and still finding it's character, such efforts like what
you propose were not outside WP's potential scope. I just don't feel that
WP is the place for it currently or in the future.

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 9:55 PM, Yann Forget <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 2013/11/21 Nathan <[hidden email]>
>
> > I think it would be better to reformulate it into book format and make it
> > available as an e-book, for free download either directly from Wikimedia
> or
> > other outlets like iTunes or Amazon. That would be searchable, and I
> don't
> > know that hosting it in wiki form provides any benefits. Certainly as a
> > wiki it will never be rescued from permanent obscurity.
> >

> I think that would be the best. I am sure many people could easily offer a
> copy that way.
>
> Regards,
>
> Yann

*Victor Grigas*
Storyteller <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nTVAmstteM>
https://donate.wikimedia.org/

Erik Moeller wrote:

>On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 7:23 PM, Tim Starling <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>> Sure, but you can't undo it, once it is done. Maybe it was stupid to
>> take on this responsibility, but deleting the site is not an ethical
>> way to rectify the mistake.
>
>If you _really really_ want to take this on, please consider just
>creating a static HTML dump without the MediaWiki skin in a
>subdirectory of dumps.wm.o (mebbe
>http://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/static_html_dumps/ ), with robots.txt
>rules to allow for indexing, rather than returning it to its previous
>undead status.

Yes, this.

BTW, <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/7932>. ;-)

MZMcBride

Tim Starling wrote:
>On 21/11/13 11:38, MZMcBride wrote:
>>
>>No subsequent major world event (e.g., the 2004 Indian Ocean
>> earthquake and tsunami) has had its own Wikimedia memorial wiki
>> established and it's very unlikely that we would ever set up another.
>
>Sure, but you can't undo it, once it is done. Maybe it was stupid to
>take on this responsibility, but deleting the site is not an ethical
>way to rectify the mistake.

Your comments reminded me of one of my favorite quotes (immortalized as a
quip in our Bugzilla installation at <https://bugs.wikimedia.org/>):
"creating a wiki is like creating a baby: yes you should have a good
reason to create one, but if you don't for whatever reason, you should
have an _extra_ good reason for killing one." :-)

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] September 11 wiki

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-3
Personally I think it is unfair for one incident ti have a wiki and not
others. It will someday open a huge Pandora's box.

Sent from the touchscreen equivalent of a Nokia 1100, pardon the sender.
--
Srikanth Ramakrishnan,
Treasurer.
On Nov 21, 2013 6:08 AM, "MZMcBride" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tim Starling wrote:
> >https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sep11wiki
> >
> >I think it's disrespectful to solicit contributions towards a memorial
> >website, and then to fail to maintain that memorial website in a
> >searchable format.
>
> I think there's general agreement that setting up this wiki was a mistake.
> This isn't said out of callousness or indifference, it's just the
> historical reality. Wikipedia was only eight months old when these attacks
> took place. No subsequent major world event (e.g., the 2004 Indian Ocean
> earthquake and tsunami) has had its own Wikimedia memorial wiki
> established and it's very unlikely that we would ever set up another.
>
> >The data is still on our servers. I propose bringing the wiki back up,
> >in read only mode, and leaving it like that either until such time as
> >there is interest from a non-profit or government organisation in
> >taking over the responsibility of indefinite hosting.
>
> We provide a dump of the September 11 wiki's contents here:
> <http://dumps.wikimedia.org/backups-of-old-wikis.html>. Memorial sites,
> while depressing and touching, are completely outside the scope of
> Wikimedia's mission. I don't believe Wikimedia has an obligation, moral
> or otherwise, to host this content in an Internet searchable format in
> perpetuity. Anyone, including non-profits and government organizations,
> can use the dump we provide as they see fit. Deciding to host this site
> again would be a mistake and one that we happen to have already made once.
>
> MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] September 11 wiki

Emmanuel Engelhart-5
Le 21/11/2013 04:26, Erik Moeller a écrit :

> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 7:23 PM, Tim Starling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sure, but you can't undo it, once it is done. Maybe it was stupid to
>> take on this responsibility, but deleting the site is not an ethical
>> way to rectify the mistake.
>
> If you _really really_ want to take this on, please consider just
> creating a static HTML dump without the MediaWiki skin in a
> subdirectory of dumps.wm.o (mebbe
> http://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/static_html_dumps/ ), with robots.txt
> rules to allow for indexing, rather than returning it to its previous
> undead status.

Makes sense to me. If this exist. This will be trivial to create the
corresponding ZIM file, serve it online, and make it easy to share. I
could build the ZIM file make it available online (file + version to surf).

Emmanuel
--
Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline & more
* Web: http://www.kiwix.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] September 11 wiki

phoebe ayers-3
On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM, Matthew Flaschen <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/20/2013 07:09 PM, Tim Starling wrote:
>
>> In 2007, the September 11 wiki was moved to a non-Wikimedia site,
>> evidently hosted by an individual without the capacity to preserve
>> that content for posterity. It was offline after only 3 years.
>>

> It is still accessible at the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine (
> http://wayback.archive.org/web/20060111221201/http://sep11.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page)
> (if I try a later year, it seems to redirect to sep11memories.org).

It would be ideal to find an organization -- someone who has been
collecting Sept 11 archives, perhaps -- who would be interested in taking
on curation of the site. Something like the
http://911digitalarchive.org/would be perfect, though it seems they
are no longer actively working on
the project. The U.S. Library of Congress has a big archive too,  though I
don't know if they can add currently-offline materials to it:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/lcwa/html/sept11/sept11-overview.html
The IA might be willing to add to its archive, as well. Anyway, perhaps
this is worth pursuing.

-- Phoebe

--
* I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at>
gmail.com *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] September 11 wiki

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada
If September 11 wiki is a finished work and has a free license, perhaps it
can be included in Wikisource.

I tried in the past to include Nupedia articles in Wikisource but they were
rejected because they are not free. The irony.

2013/11/21 Tim Starling <[hidden email]>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sep11wiki
>
> I think it's disrespectful to solicit contributions towards a memorial
> website, and then to fail to maintain that memorial website in a
> searchable format.
>
> Today, searching the web for phrases in contributed memorial pages
> brings up only ancient, presumably unmaintained Wikipedia mirrors,
> such as these:
>
> http://encyclopedia.kids.net.au/page/da/Daniel_Brandhorst
> http://www.knowledgerush.com/kr/encyclopedia/Daniel_Brandhorst/
>
> In time, those will disappear from the web, as all other copies have
> done. Thus, relatives of the deceased will have no way to discover
> that these pages ever existed.
>
> In 2007, the September 11 wiki was moved to a non-Wikimedia site,
> evidently hosted by an individual without the capacity to preserve
> that content for posterity. It was offline after only 3 years.
>
> The data is still on our servers. I propose bringing the wiki back up,
> in read only mode, and leaving it like that either until such time as
> there is interest from a non-profit or government organisation in
> taking over the responsibility of indefinite hosting. It would only
> take an hour or so of ops work. It could stay like that for decades
> without needing any further maintenance.
>
> -- Tim Starling

Re: [Wikimedia-l] September 11 wiki

Lodewijk
Contacting a museum/foundation dedicated to the topic seems to me most
ideal. They still would like to have an html dump probably - no need for it
to be editable I guess. Setting up a special organization for it seems a
bit too much effort imho if there's an easier way.

If WMNYC perhaps in contact with a relevant organization at Ground Zero?

Lodewijk

2013/11/21 Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada <[hidden email]>

> If September 11 wiki is a finished work and has a free license, perhaps it
> can be included in Wikisource.
>
> I tried in the past to include Nupedia articles in Wikisource but they were
> rejected because they are not free. The irony.
>

> 2013/11/21 Tim Starling <[hidden email]>
>
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sep11wiki
> >
> > I think it's disrespectful to solicit contributions towards a memorial
> > website, and then to fail to maintain that memorial website in a
> > searchable format.
> >
> > Today, searching the web for phrases in contributed memorial pages
> > brings up only ancient, presumably unmaintained Wikipedia mirrors,
> > such as these:
> >
> > http://encyclopedia.kids.net.au/page/da/Daniel_Brandhorst
> > http://www.knowledgerush.com/kr/encyclopedia/Daniel_Brandhorst/
> >
> > In time, those will disappear from the web, as all other copies have
> > done. Thus, relatives of the deceased will have no way to discover
> > that these pages ever existed.
> >
> > In 2007, the September 11 wiki was moved to a non-Wikimedia site,
> > evidently hosted by an individual without the capacity to preserve
> > that content for posterity. It was offline after only 3 years.
> >
> > The data is still on our servers. I propose bringing the wiki back up,
> > in read only mode, and leaving it like that either until such time as
> > there is interest from a non-profit or government organisation in
> > taking over the responsibility of indefinite hosting. It would only
> > take an hour or so of ops work. It could stay like that for decades
> > without needing any further maintenance.
> >
> > -- Tim Starling

Re: [Wikimedia-l] September 11 wiki

Sarah Stierch-2
I was thinking this also.

There is a museum: http://www.911memorial.org/museum

I don't know anyone there personally, but, I do have many colleagues in the
GLAM sector in NYC and most likely have a connection to someone at the
museum. I'm also totally comfortable cold calling them. I'll do that work
if others want to draft and prepare a game plan on how they see this
information being preserved and useful.

This museum isn't open yet, and opening a museum surely isn't easy, so I
can't guarantee a timely response.

Connecting with folks in the digital humanities is a good idea, or perhaps
even the Computer History Museum. (I know the head curator there)

-Sarah

-Sarah

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Contacting a museum/foundation dedicated to the topic seems to me most
> ideal. They still would like to have an html dump probably - no need for it
> to be editable I guess. Setting up a special organization for it seems a
> bit too much effort imho if there's an easier way.
>
> If WMNYC perhaps in contact with a relevant organization at Ground Zero?
>
> Lodewijk
>

> 2013/11/21 Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada <[hidden email]>
>
> > If September 11 wiki is a finished work and has a free license, perhaps
> it
> > can be included in Wikisource.
> >
> > I tried in the past to include Nupedia articles in Wikisource but they
> were
> > rejected because they are not free. The irony.
> >

> > 2013/11/21 Tim Starling <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sep11wiki
> > >
> > > I think it's disrespectful to solicit contributions towards a memorial
> > > website, and then to fail to maintain that memorial website in a
> > > searchable format.
> > >
> > > Today, searching the web for phrases in contributed memorial pages
> > > brings up only ancient, presumably unmaintained Wikipedia mirrors,
> > > such as these:
> > >
> > > http://encyclopedia.kids.net.au/page/da/Daniel_Brandhorst
> > > http://www.knowledgerush.com/kr/encyclopedia/Daniel_Brandhorst/
> > >
> > > In time, those will disappear from the web, as all other copies have
> > > done. Thus, relatives of the deceased will have no way to discover
> > > that these pages ever existed.
> > >
> > > In 2007, the September 11 wiki was moved to a non-Wikimedia site,
> > > evidently hosted by an individual without the capacity to preserve
> > > that content for posterity. It was offline after only 3 years.
> > >
> > > The data is still on our servers. I propose bringing the wiki back up,
> > > in read only mode, and leaving it like that either until such time as
> > > there is interest from a non-profit or government organisation in
> > > taking over the responsibility of indefinite hosting. It would only
> > > take an hour or so of ops work. It could stay like that for decades
> > > without needing any further maintenance.
> > >
> > > -- Tim Starling

*Sarah Stierch*
*Museumist, open culture advocate, and Wikimedian*
*www.sarahstierch.com <http://www.sarahstierch.com>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] September 11 wiki

Pharos-3
I think Wikimedia NYC could host this archive, given the very high
relevance to our region, perhaps at sep11.nycwiki.org

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)