[Wikimedia-l] Single User Login finalisation: some accounts will be renamed

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Single User Login finalisation: some accounts will be renamed

Federico Leva (Nemo)
James Forrester, 12/05/2013 19:56:

> On 12 May 2013 10:40, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:
>
>> James Forrester, 12/05/2013 19:20:
>>
>>   Sorry for the disruption to everyone's plans. If you have any questions,
>>> please do ask.
>>>

>> Will you still make the lists and send out the notifications so that
>> people can start planning?
>

> Yes.

We're in August, so the account unifications may happen any time soon,
but no notifications have been sent to users. Is the plan again to give
them only few days to fix their accounts before they are messed up with?

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Single User Login finalisation: some accounts will be renamed

MZMcBride-2
Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:

>James Forrester, 12/05/2013 19:56:
>> On 12 May 2013 10:40, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:
>>> James Forrester, 12/05/2013 19:20:
>>>
>>> Will you still make the lists and send out the notifications so that
>>> people can start planning?
>>
>> Yes.
>
>We're in August, so the account unifications may happen any time soon,
>but no notifications have been sent to users. Is the plan again to give
>them only few days to fix their accounts before they are messed up with?

It needs to be made explicit here and now that this change needs to be
managed _incredibly carefully_ or it will result in very negative
consequences for Wikimedia. As I understand it, many users will likely be
forcibly renamed. Given that usernames are the primary source of identity
on Wikimedia wikis, even if this process is carefully managed, it will
still inevitably result in some users being incredibly upset at the loss
of their preferred username on their home wiki.

In my view, this process should move very slowly, with ample warning (six
months to a year) given to any users affected. A long warning period will
allow users to voluntarily rename themselves. Only after a sufficient
warning period has been provided should there be any forcible renaming.

The process outlined at <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/SUL_finalisation>
is currently unacceptable and needs to be rewritten. We must not have a
repeat of the recent VisualEditor deployment fiasco in which arbitrary
deadlines and requirements lead to thousands of Wikimedians being angry.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Single User Login finalisation: some accounts will be renamed

Peter Southwood
Bear in mind that no matter how slowly and carefull it is done, the will
still be users who will claim to be surprised when it happens, and blame WMF
for not informing them, unless each one who will be affected is required to
acknowledge receipt of a message explaining unambiguously what will happen
and what they, personally can and must do, and to state that they understand
their obligations and undertake to do what is required of them within the
specified time. Even then there will be some drama - it is the nature of the
beast.
Cheers,
Peter

>>> Yes.
>>
>>We're in August, so the account unifications may happen any time soon,
>>but no notifications have been sent to users. Is the plan again to give
>>them only few days to fix their accounts before they are messed up with?
>
> It needs to be made explicit here and now that this change needs to be
> managed _incredibly carefully_ or it will result in very negative
> consequences for Wikimedia. As I understand it, many users will likely be
> forcibly renamed. Given that usernames are the primary source of identity
> on Wikimedia wikis, even if this process is carefully managed, it will
> still inevitably result in some users being incredibly upset at the loss
> of their preferred username on their home wiki.
>
> In my view, this process should move very slowly, with ample warning (six
> months to a year) given to any users affected. A long warning period will
> allow users to voluntarily rename themselves. Only after a sufficient
> warning period has been provided should there be any forcible renaming.
>
> The process outlined at <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/SUL_finalisation>
> is currently unacceptable and needs to be rewritten. We must not have a
> repeat of the recent VisualEditor deployment fiasco in which arbitrary
> deadlines and requirements lead to thousands of Wikimedians being angry.
>
> MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Single User Login finalisation: some accounts will be renamed

Chris McKenna
On Sat, 3 Aug 2013, MZMcBride wrote:

> It needs to be made explicit here and now that this change needs to be
> managed _incredibly carefully_ or it will result in very negative
> consequences for Wikimedia.
[...]
> The process outlined at <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/SUL_finalisation>
> is currently unacceptable and needs to be rewritten. We must not have a
> repeat of the recent VisualEditor deployment fiasco in which arbitrary
> deadlines and requirements lead to thousands of Wikimedians being angry.

I completely agree with this. Regardless of whether any of the same people
are involved, the VE deployment has used up all (and more) of the well of
good feeling about the WMF. With a full compliment of good will you
/might/ be able to get away with that timetable resulting in only a small
number of unforgiving users and minor bad press. With the negative amounts
of this resource the WMF has it would be an unmitigated disaster. The
forced renaming needs to happen no earlier than the later of August 2014
or one year after individual notification. The individual notfications
MUST include encouragemnt to voluntary renaming and should be sent at 1
year, 6 months, 3 months, 1 month, 2 weeks, 10 days, 5 days, 2 days and 1
day in advance of the renaming, and that is at a minimum.

Remember that this is affecting real people, many of whom will already be
pissed off at the Foundation for VE and this will affect them directly and
individually. Forcibly changing someone's identity is about the most major
thing you could possibly do.

----
Chris McKenna

[hidden email]
www.sucs.org/~cmckenna

but with the heart

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Single User Login finalisation: some accounts will be renamed

Katie Chan
On 03/08/2013 09:41, Chris McKenna wrote:
> and should
> be sent at 1 year, 6 months, 3 months, 1 month, 2 weeks, 10 days, 5
> days, 2 days and 1 day in advance of the renaming, and that is at a
> minimum.

Why not ten years, or maybe twenty years just to be on the same side?

</sarcasm>

KTC

--
Katie Chan
Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the

     - Heinrich Heine

On Sat, 3 Aug 2013, Katie Chan wrote:

> On 03/08/2013 09:41, Chris McKenna wrote:
>> and should
>> be sent at 1 year, 6 months, 3 months, 1 month, 2 weeks, 10 days, 5
>> days, 2 days and 1 day in advance of the renaming, and that is at a
>> minimum.
>>

> Why not ten years, or maybe twenty years just to be on the same side?

A year is a reasonable amount of notice to expect - it's a long time in
the digital world (it is extremely rare that people are temporarily banned
from en.wp for longer than this for example). Much beyond that is
pointless as people wont think it's ever going to happen and will ignore
it. This will happen with some people for 1 year, but less so.

Remember that we want to get people on our side, so we need to work with
their psychology.

----
Chris McKenna

[hidden email]
www.sucs.org/~cmckenna

but with the heart

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Single User Login finalisation: some accounts will be renamed

Peter Gehres-2

> We're in August, so the account unifications may happen any time soon, but
> no notifications have been sent to users. Is the plan again to give them
> only few days to fix their accounts before they are messed up with?
>
> Nemo

AFAIK, no. I can't speak for the (remaining) staff working on the project
but (speaking only as a volunteer now) SULv2 and VE seem to have taken much
longer than intended (the Admin Tools staff are part of both projects).  I
haven't worked on the remaining unification tasks since I left and there is
a not inconsiderable amount of work remaining.  Unless I missed it, global
rename hasn't been deployed and there are some other prerequisite tools
outstanding.

Peter