[Wikimedia-l] Status of Wikipedia Zero

Lucas Teles-2
Hello.

On Portuguese Wikipedia Facebook page, I am receiving lots of messages
asking if Wikipedia Zero is over. One of them stated that they were told by
the internet service provider that WMF has cancelled the program.

Do we have any official statement about it? I learnt that WZ would end this
year, but I am looking for any accurate information in order to reply to
the messages. Is it over for all the providers and countries? Is there
something se should tell to the affected users?

Thanks!

Teles
--
Steward for Wikimedia projects. Administrator at Portuguese Wikipedia and
Wikimedia Commons.

+55 (71) 99707 6409

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Status of Wikipedia Zero

Chico Venancio
I had similar contacts from Angolan users in Facebook. WMF previously
stated it would not renew ongoing agreements for Wikipedia Zero, it seems
the agreements with Angolan providers have expired recently. It would
indeed be nice to have a more detailed timetable of when each agreement
will expire for this program.

Best regards,

Chico Venancio

> Hello.
>
> On Portuguese Wikipedia Facebook page, I am receiving lots of messages
> asking if Wikipedia Zero is over. One of them stated that they were told by
> the internet service provider that WMF has cancelled the program.
>
> Do we have any official statement about it? I learnt that WZ would end this
> year, but I am looking for any accurate information in order to reply to
> the messages. Is it over for all the providers and countries? Is there
> something se should tell to the affected users?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Teles
> --
> Steward for Wikimedia projects. Administrator at Portuguese Wikipedia and
> Wikimedia Commons.
> Sent from mobile. Please, excuse my brevity.
>
> +55 (71) 99707 6409

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Status of Wikipedia Zero

Alessandro Marchetti via Wikimedia-l

You are looking for this.

https://blog.wikimedia.org/2018/02/16/partnerships-new-approach/

--
Yongmin
Sent from my iPhone

2018. 7. 1. 02:35, Lucas Teles <[hidden email]> 작성:

> Hello.
>
> On Portuguese Wikipedia Facebook page, I am receiving lots of messages
> asking if Wikipedia Zero is over. One of them stated that they were told by
> the internet service provider that WMF has cancelled the program.
>
> Do we have any official statement about it? I learnt that WZ would end this
> year, but I am looking for any accurate information in order to reply to
> the messages. Is it over for all the providers and countries? Is there
> something se should tell to the affected users?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Teles
> --
> Steward for Wikimedia projects. Administrator at Portuguese Wikipedia and
> Wikimedia Commons.
> Sent from mobile. Please, excuse my brevity.
>
> +55 (71) 99707 6409

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Status of Wikipedia Zero

Yaroslav Blanter
Hi Lucas,

this one is from February:

https://blog.wikimedia.org/2018/02/16/partnerships-new-approach/

Cheers
Yaroslav

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 7:35 PM, Lucas Teles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> On Portuguese Wikipedia Facebook page, I am receiving lots of messages
> asking if Wikipedia Zero is over. One of them stated that they were told by
> the internet service provider that WMF has cancelled the program.
>
> Do we have any official statement about it? I learnt that WZ would end this
> year, but I am looking for any accurate information in order to reply to
> the messages. Is it over for all the providers and countries? Is there
> something se should tell to the affected users?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Teles
> --
> Steward for Wikimedia projects. Administrator at Portuguese Wikipedia and
> Wikimedia Commons.
> Sent from mobile. Please, excuse my brevity.
>
> +55 (71) 99707 6409

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Status of Wikipedia Zero

Lucas Teles-2
Hi! This link is very helpful! Thanks.

I was also looking for information on the expiration date for partnerships,
which is when the users will notice the access issues. Not sure if there is
any.

Teles

Em sáb, 30 de jun de 2018 às 14:48, Yaroslav Blanter <[hidden email]>
escreveu:

> Hi Lucas,
>
> this one is from February:
>
> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2018/02/16/partnerships-new-approach/
>
> Cheers
> Yaroslav
>
> On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 7:35 PM, Lucas Teles <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > On Portuguese Wikipedia Facebook page, I am receiving lots of messages
> > asking if Wikipedia Zero is over. One of them stated that they were told
> by
> > the internet service provider that WMF has cancelled the program.
> >
> > Do we have any official statement about it? I learnt that WZ would end
> this
> > year, but I am looking for any accurate information in order to reply to
> > the messages. Is it over for all the providers and countries? Is there
> > something se should tell to the affected users?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Teles
> > --
> > Steward for Wikimedia projects. Administrator at Portuguese Wikipedia and
> > Wikimedia Commons.
> > Sent from mobile. Please, excuse my brevity.
> >
> > +55 (71) 99707 6409

Steward for Wikimedia projects. Administrator at Portuguese Wikipedia and
Wikimedia Commons.
Sent from mobile. Please, excuse my brevity.

+55 (71) 99707 6409

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Status of Wikipedia Zero

Michael Snow-5
On 6/30/2018 11:11 AM, Lucas Teles wrote:
> I was also looking for information on the expiration date for partnerships,
> which is when the users will notice the access issues. Not sure if there is
> any.
I would guess that partnerships are not being terminated early, but
merely being allowed to expire whenever they expire. As the end date
will depend on the agreement that formed the partnership, I expect there
is not a single universal date on which Wikipedia Zero ends.

--Michael Snow

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Status of Wikipedia Zero

Steinsplitter Wiki
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Mobile_partnerships

--Steinsplitter

________________________________
On 6/30/2018 11:11 AM, Lucas Teles wrote:
> I was also looking for information on the expiration date for partnerships,
> which is when the users will notice the access issues. Not sure if there is
> any.
I would guess that partnerships are not being terminated early, but
merely being allowed to expire whenever they expire. As the end date
will depend on the agreement that formed the partnership, I expect there
is not a single universal date on which Wikipedia Zero ends.

--Michael Snow

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Status of Wikipedia Zero

Alex Monk
So we just need someone to populate that table with expiry dates?

On 1 July 2018 at 16:41, Steinsplitter Wiki <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Mobile_partnerships
>
> --Steinsplitter
>
> ________________________________

Lodewijk
Actually, Daniel Foy has been removing partnerships that are no longer
active.

I guess if a local affiliate wants to know when their partnership expires
to prepare for backlash, they could contact him.

Best,
Lodewijk

ps: I didn't see any Brazilian cooperation in that table in the recent
past. Angola still seems to be active? But perhaps I'm overlooking
something obvious.

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 11:21 AM Alex Monk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So we just need someone to populate that table with expiry dates?
>
> On 1 July 2018 at 16:41, Steinsplitter Wiki <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Mobile_partnerships
> >
> > --Steinsplitter
> >
> > ________________________________

GoEthe.wiki

We are also getting a couple of inquiries at the Facebook page of Wikimedia
Portugal.
There is no affiliate in Angola, and the Wikipedia facebook page that Lucas
Teles mentioned is focused on language rather than region, and has a
significant proportion of followers from Angola and Mozambique.

It would be nice to have a (Portuguese) text that we can refer users to in
case of further inquiries. I would be happy to provide translation (maybe
Lucas can help there as well). Perhaps that blog post from Frebuary would
be good enough.

Cheers,

Gonçalo Themudo

*Wikimedia Portugal*
*Email: *[hidden email]
*Website: *http://pt.wikimedia.org <https://sites.google.com/view/themudo>
*Imagine um mundo onde cada ser humano pode partilhar livremente a soma de
todo o conhecimento, na sua própria língua.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Status of Wikipedia Zero

jmh649
Now Facebook Basics still exists and still includes Wikipedia as far as I
am aware.