[Wikimedia-l] Subject for Wikimedia Hackathon(s) 2014-2015: CoSyne

[Wikimedia-l] Subject for Wikimedia Hackathon(s) 2014-2015: CoSyne

Romaine Wiki-2
As a subject of one/more hackathons I would like to recommend CoSyne [1].
CoSyne is translation and multilingual synchronisation tool. The project
was set up by Wikimedia Netherlands together with several universities and
other partners, including the EU. The tool makes it possible to translate
much more easier from one Wikipedia (etc) to another with much better
quality translations than existing translating tools. It does not matter if
an article is already written, it is possible with this tool to expand
existing articles and to update articles with a new section when on one
Wikipedia this was added. It makes it possible to exchange information in
more languages and helps users to keep the articles up-to-date.

I have tested the Bèta version of this tool and these tests were very
successful.

[1] https://nl.wikimedia.org/wiki/CoSyne

Romaine

> So far there are no candidates to organize the next Wikimedia Hackathon in
> Europe. If any chapter, thorg, or group of volunteers is thinking about
> applying, please let us know. We want to announce the new host at
> Wikimania.
>
> Very important: the budget for the Wikimedia Hackathon 2015 will be
> discussed and eventually approved as an independent Project and Event Fund.
> This means that organizers will be able to define the budget and manage it
> without depending on general chapter funds and FDC rounds. This will avoid
> any risk of budget cuts caused by factors alien to the hackathon
> organization, a problem we have seen in previous editions. Background:
>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Funds_Dissemination_Committee/Framework_for_the_Creation_and_Initial_Operation_of_the_FDC#General_versus_project_funding
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:PEG
>
> On Friday, May 30, 2014, Quim Gil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > (CCing wikimedia-l as well, please send any replies to wikitech-l only)
> >
> > The Wikimedia technical community wants to have another hackathon next
> > year in Europe. Who will organize it?
> >
> > Interested parties, check https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Hackathons
> >
> > We would like to confirm a host by Wikimania, latest.
> >
> > The same call goes for India and other locations with a good
> concentration
> > of Wikimedia contributors and software developers. Come on, step in. We
> > want to increase our geographical diversity of technical contributors.
> >

> > --
> > Quim Gil
> > Engineering Community Manager @ Wikimedia Foundation
> > http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil
> >

> --
> Quim Gil
> Engineering Community Manager @ Wikimedia Foundation
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Subject for Wikimedia Hackathon(s) 2014-2015: CoSyne

Antoine Musso-3
Le 09/07/2014 14:33, Romaine Wiki a écrit :

> As a subject of one/more hackathons I would like to recommend CoSyne [1].
> CoSyne is translation and multilingual synchronisation tool. The project
> was set up by Wikimedia Netherlands together with several universities and
> other partners, including the EU. The tool makes it possible to translate
> much more easier from one Wikipedia (etc) to another with much better
> quality translations than existing translating tools. It does not matter if
> an article is already written, it is possible with this tool to expand
> existing articles and to update articles with a new section when on one
> Wikipedia this was added. It makes it possible to exchange information in
> more languages and helps users to keep the articles up-to-date.
>
> I have tested the Bèta version of this tool and these tests were very
> successful.
>
> [1] https://nl.wikimedia.org/wiki/CoSyne
>
> Romaine

Hello,

Seems it is very similiar to the content translation Wikimedia i18n team
is working on:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Content_translation

Demo video:
 http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:CX_Section_Alignment_Preview_and_Basic_Editing.webm

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Subject for Wikimedia Hackathon(s) 2014-2015: CoSyne

Runa Bhattacharjee-2
On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Antoine Musso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Seems it is very similiar to the content translation Wikimedia i18n team
> is working on:
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Content_translation
>
> Demo video:
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:CX_Section_Alignment_Preview_and_Basic_Editing.webm

Thanks for bringing this up. We are also running testing sessions and
people can sign up through this form[1].

regards
Runa

[1]
https://docs.google.com/a/wikimedia.org/forms/d/1yCvPS65eWk9S8uXkksAbDbLsbZQd0ISQKBDFfJnSSo0/viewform

--
Language Engineering - Outreach and QA Coordinator

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Subject for Wikimedia Hackathon(s) 2014-2015: CoSyne

Romaine Wiki-2
I doubt if these tools are similar. But I do think they can benefit from
each other.

Romaine

> Le 09/07/2014 14:33, Romaine Wiki a écrit :
> > As a subject of one/more hackathons I would like to recommend CoSyne [1].
> > CoSyne is translation and multilingual synchronisation tool. The project
> > was set up by Wikimedia Netherlands together with several universities
> and
> > other partners, including the EU. The tool makes it possible to translate
> > much more easier from one Wikipedia (etc) to another with much better
> > quality translations than existing translating tools. It does not matter
> if
> > an article is already written, it is possible with this tool to expand
> > existing articles and to update articles with a new section when on one
> > Wikipedia this was added. It makes it possible to exchange information in
> > more languages and helps users to keep the articles up-to-date.
> >
> > I have tested the Bèta version of this tool and these tests were very
> > successful.
> >
> > [1] https://nl.wikimedia.org/wiki/CoSyne
> >
> > Romaine
>
> Hello,
>
> Seems it is very similiar to the content translation Wikimedia i18n team
> is working on:
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Content_translation
>
> Demo video:
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:CX_Section_Alignment_Preview_and_Basic_Editing.webm
>

> --
> Antoine "hashar" Musso

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Subject for Wikimedia Hackathon(s) 2014-2015: CoSyne

Frans Grijzenhout
Hi Romaine, this is to remind you that the CoSyne project was a research
project, sponsored by the EU and conducted by different partners. The
research has been concluded and the results have been reported early
2013..The technical infrastructure has sinds then been dismantled, so it
will not be that easy to restart CoSyne. Regards, Frans

*Frans Grijzenhout*, voorzitter / chair
[hidden email]
+31 6 5333 9499
http://www.wikimedia.nl/

*Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland*
*Postadres*:                     *Bezoekadres:*
Postbus 167                   Mariaplaats 3
3500 AD  Utrecht            3511 LH Utrecht

ABNAMRO NL33 ABNA 0497164833 - Kamer van Koophandel 17189036

> I doubt if these tools are similar. But I do think they can benefit from
> each other.
>
> Romaine

> > Le 09/07/2014 14:33, Romaine Wiki a écrit :
> > > As a subject of one/more hackathons I would like to recommend CoSyne
> [1].
> > > CoSyne is translation and multilingual synchronisation tool. The
> project
> > > was set up by Wikimedia Netherlands together with several universities
> > and
> > > other partners, including the EU. The tool makes it possible to
> translate
> > > much more easier from one Wikipedia (etc) to another with much better
> > > quality translations than existing translating tools. It does not
> matter
> > if
> > > an article is already written, it is possible with this tool to expand
> > > existing articles and to update articles with a new section when on one
> > > Wikipedia this was added. It makes it possible to exchange information
> in
> > > more languages and helps users to keep the articles up-to-date.
> > >
> > > I have tested the Bèta version of this tool and these tests were very
> > > successful.
> > >
> > > [1] https://nl.wikimedia.org/wiki/CoSyne
> > >
> > > Romaine
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Seems it is very similiar to the content translation Wikimedia i18n team
> > is working on:
> >
> > http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Content_translation
> >
> > Demo video:
> >

> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:CX_Section_Alignment_Preview_and_Basic_Editing.webm
> >

> > --
> > Antoine "hashar" Musso

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Subject for Wikimedia Hackathon(s) 2014-2015: CoSyne

Balázs Viczián
Hi,

WMHU would be interested in *hosting *a Hackathon in Hungary (anywhere) but
we would need a couple of international volunteers to help filling the core
of event (finding topics and speakers or building up the content in
general). In exchange, the rest (from side events to the smallest details)
can be left with us :)

Balazs

> Hi Romaine, this is to remind you that the CoSyne project was a research
> project, sponsored by the EU and conducted by different partners. The
> research has been concluded and the results have been reported early
> 2013..The technical infrastructure has sinds then been dismantled, so it
> will not be that easy to restart CoSyne. Regards, Frans
>

> *Frans Grijzenhout*, voorzitter / chair
> [hidden email]
> +31 6 5333 9499
> http://www.wikimedia.nl/
>
> *Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland*
> *Postadres*:                     *Bezoekadres:*
> Postbus 167                   Mariaplaats 3
> 3500 AD  Utrecht            3511 LH Utrecht
>
> ABNAMRO NL33 ABNA 0497164833 - Kamer van Koophandel 17189036

> > I doubt if these tools are similar. But I do think they can benefit from
> > each other.
> >
> > Romaine

> > [1].
> > project
> universities
> > > and
> > translate
> > matter
> > > if
> expand
> one
> information
> > in

> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Seems it is very similiar to the content translation Wikimedia i18n
> team
> > > is working on:
> > >
> > > http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Content_translation
> > >
> > > Demo video:
> > >

> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:CX_Section_Alignment_Preview_and_Basic_Editing.webm
> > >

> > > --
> > > Antoine "hashar" Musso

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Subject for Wikimedia Hackathon(s) 2014-2015: CoSyne

Frans Grijzenhout
Hi Balázs, WMNL hosted the international hackaton in 2013. Documentation is
archived and thus still available and we are more than willing to help you
in preparing the international hackaton in 2015.
Regards, Frans

*Frans Grijzenhout*, voorzitter / chair
[hidden email]
+31 6 5333 9499
http://www.wikimedia.nl/

*Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland*
*Postadres*:                     *Bezoekadres:*
Postbus 167                   Mariaplaats 3
3500 AD  Utrecht            3511 LH Utrecht

ABNAMRO NL33 ABNA 0497164833 - Kamer van Koophandel 17189036

> Hi,
>
> WMHU would be interested in *hosting *a Hackathon in Hungary (anywhere) but
> we would need a couple of international volunteers to help filling the core
> of event (finding topics and speakers or building up the content in
> general). In exchange, the rest (from side events to the smallest details)
> can be left with us :)
>
> Balazs

> > Hi Romaine, this is to remind you that the CoSyne project was a research
> > project, sponsored by the EU and conducted by different partners. The
> > research has been concluded and the results have been reported early
> > 2013..The technical infrastructure has sinds then been dismantled, so it
> > will not be that easy to restart CoSyne. Regards, Frans
> >

> > *Frans Grijzenhout*, voorzitter / chair
> > [hidden email]
> > +31 6 5333 9499
> > http://www.wikimedia.nl/
> >
> > *Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland*
> > *Postadres*:                     *Bezoekadres:*
> > Postbus 167                   Mariaplaats 3
> > 3500 AD  Utrecht            3511 LH Utrecht
> >
> > ABNAMRO NL33 ABNA 0497164833 - Kamer van Koophandel 17189036

> > > I doubt if these tools are similar. But I do think they can benefit
> from
> > > each other.
> > >
> > > Romaine

> CoSyne
> > > [1].
> > > project
> > universities
> > > translate
> better
> > > matter
> > expand
> > one
> > information
> > > in

> very

> > team

> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:CX_Section_Alignment_Preview_and_Basic_Editing.webm

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Subject for Wikimedia Hackathon(s) 2014-2015: CoSyne

Emeric Vallespi
Hi,

WMFr is still thinking about organizing Wikimedia Hackathon in 2015. We are currently identifying the technical, financial and especially human resources needed to make it a success.

Frans, could you provide me/us your documentation or the link (Meta ?) ? It would be very useful.

Wikimedia France really wants to organize an international event in 2015.

Anyway, we believe that if another chapter wants to organize Hackathon it could be a waste of time for one of us to position our proposals against until the result.

So if a sister entity positions herself clearly and seriously to organize Wikimedia Hackathon we can discuss it.

Best regards,
--
Emeric Vallespi
Vice-Treasurer

[hidden email]
Twitter: @evallespi | Mob. +33 (0)6 61151312

On 14 juil. 2014, at 20:38, Frans Grijzenhout <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Balázs, WMNL hosted the international hackaton in 2013. Documentation is
> archived and thus still available and we are more than willing to help you
> in preparing the international hackaton in 2015.
> Regards, Frans
>

> *Frans Grijzenhout*, voorzitter / chair
> [hidden email]
> +31 6 5333 9499
> http://www.wikimedia.nl/
>
> *Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland*
> *Postadres*:                     *Bezoekadres:*
> Postbus 167                   Mariaplaats 3
> 3500 AD  Utrecht            3511 LH Utrecht
>
> ABNAMRO NL33 ABNA 0497164833 - Kamer van Koophandel 17189036

>> Hi,
>>
>> WMHU would be interested in *hosting *a Hackathon in Hungary (anywhere) but
>> we would need a couple of international volunteers to help filling the core
>> of event (finding topics and speakers or building up the content in
>> general). In exchange, the rest (from side events to the smallest details)
>> can be left with us :)
>>
>> Balazs

>>> Hi Romaine, this is to remind you that the CoSyne project was a research
>>> project, sponsored by the EU and conducted by different partners. The
>>> research has been concluded and the results have been reported early
>>> 2013..The technical infrastructure has sinds then been dismantled, so it
>>> will not be that easy to restart CoSyne. Regards, Frans
>>>

>>> *Frans Grijzenhout*, voorzitter / chair
>>> [hidden email]
>>> +31 6 5333 9499
>>> http://www.wikimedia.nl/
>>>
>>> *Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland*
>>> *Postadres*:                     *Bezoekadres:*
>>> Postbus 167                   Mariaplaats 3
>>> 3500 AD  Utrecht            3511 LH Utrecht
>>>
>>> ABNAMRO NL33 ABNA 0497164833 - Kamer van Koophandel 17189036

>> from

>> CoSyne
>>> universities
>> better
>>> expand
>>> one
>>> information

>> very

>>> team

>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:CX_Section_Alignment_Preview_and_Basic_Editing.webm

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Subject for Wikimedia Hackathon(s) 2014-2015: CoSyne

Balázs Viczián

can someone sum up in a few sentences the discussion held on hangout
earlier this week?

Balazs
2014.07.17. 13:57, "Balázs Viczián" <[hidden email]> ezt írta:

> Hi,
>
> thanks for the offer :)
>
> It would be highly useful.
>
> Cheers,
> Balazs

> > Hi Balázs, WMNL hosted the international hackaton in 2013. Documentation
> is
> > archived and thus still available and we are more than willing to help
> you
> > in preparing the international hackaton in 2015.
> > Regards, Frans
> >

> > *Frans Grijzenhout*, voorzitter / chair
> > [hidden email]
> > +31 6 5333 9499
> > http://www.wikimedia.nl/
> >
> > *Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland*
> > *Postadres*:                     *Bezoekadres:*
> > Postbus 167                   Mariaplaats 3
> > 3500 AD  Utrecht            3511 LH Utrecht
> >
> > ABNAMRO NL33 ABNA 0497164833 - Kamer van Koophandel 17189036

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> WMHU would be interested in *hosting *a Hackathon in Hungary (anywhere)
> >> but
> >> we would need a couple of international volunteers to help filling the
> >> core
> >> of event (finding topics and speakers or building up the content in
> >> general). In exchange, the rest (from side events to the smallest
> details)
> >> can be left with us :)
> >>
> >> Balazs

> research
> it

> >> from

> >> CoSyne
> >> better
> not

> >> very

> i18n

> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:CX_Section_Alignment_Preview_and_Basic_Editing.webm

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Subject for Wikimedia Hackathon(s) 2014-2015: CoSyne

Emeric Vallespi
Hello,

Does anyone have planned a meeting during Wikimania about next Hackathon's organization ?
I believe it would be useful to know who of us still want to organize, after informations which was forwarded by former organizers, and how we could collaborate to choose the next (co-)organizer.

I will be around the Wikimania Hackathon this afternoon and tomorrow, let me know if you're interested with this discussion.
(Jean-Frederic & Sylvain are also available)

--
Emeric Vallespi
Vice-treasurer

[hidden email]
Twitter: @evallespi

On 16 juil. 2014, at 21:00, Emeric Vallespi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> WMFr is still thinking about organizing Wikimedia Hackathon in 2015. We are currently identifying the technical, financial and especially human resources needed to make it a success.
>
> Frans, could you provide me/us your documentation or the link (Meta ?) ? It would be very useful.
>
> Wikimedia France really wants to organize an international event in 2015.
>
> Anyway, we believe that if another chapter wants to organize Hackathon it could be a waste of time for one of us to position our proposals against until the result.
>
> So if a sister entity positions herself clearly and seriously to organize Wikimedia Hackathon we can discuss it.
>
> Best regards,
> --
> Emeric Vallespi
> Vice-Treasurer
> Wikimedia France
>
> [hidden email]
> Twitter: @evallespi | Mob. +33 (0)6 61151312
>
> On 14 juil. 2014, at 20:38, Frans Grijzenhout <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Balázs, WMNL hosted the international hackaton in 2013. Documentation is
>> archived and thus still available and we are more than willing to help you
>> in preparing the international hackaton in 2015.
>> Regards, Frans
>>

>> *Frans Grijzenhout*, voorzitter / chair
>> [hidden email]
>> +31 6 5333 9499
>> http://www.wikimedia.nl/
>>
>> *Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland*
>> *Postadres*:                     *Bezoekadres:*
>> Postbus 167                   Mariaplaats 3
>> 3500 AD  Utrecht            3511 LH Utrecht
>>
>> ABNAMRO NL33 ABNA 0497164833 - Kamer van Koophandel 17189036

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> WMHU would be interested in *hosting *a Hackathon in Hungary (anywhere) but
>>> we would need a couple of international volunteers to help filling the core
>>> of event (finding topics and speakers or building up the content in
>>> general). In exchange, the rest (from side events to the smallest details)
>>> can be left with us :)
>>>
>>> Balazs

>>> from

>>> CoSyne
>>> better

>>> very

>>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:CX_Section_Alignment_Preview_and_Basic_Editing.webm

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Subject for Wikimedia Hackathon(s) 2014-2015: CoSyne

Rachel Farrand
Yep, if you look at the Hackathon schedule you should see that it has been
scheduled for Thursday afternoon at 2pm. Hope you can make it!