[Wikimedia-l] Superprotect is gone

Quim Gil-2
Superprotect [1] was introduced by the Wikimedia Foundation to resolve a
product development disagreement. We have not used it for resolving a
dispute since. Consequently, today we are removing Superprotect from
Wikimedia servers.

Without Superprotect, a symbolic point of tension is resolved. However, we
still have the underlying problem of disagreement and consequent delays at
the product deployment phase. We need to become better software partners,
work together towards better products, and ship better features faster. The
collaboration between the WMF and the communities depends on mutual trust
and constructive criticism. We need to improve Wikimedia mechanisms to
build consensus, include more voices, and resolve disputes.

There is a first draft of an updated Product Development Process [2] that
will guide the work of the WMF Engineering and Product teams.[3] It
stresses the need for community feedback throughout the process, but
particularly in the early phases of development. More feedback earlier on
will allow us to incorporate community-driven improvements and address
potential controversy while plans and software are most flexible.

We welcome the feedback of technical and non-technical contributors. Check
the Q&A for details.[4]

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Superprotect
[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Product_Development_Process
[3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering
[4]
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Product_Development_Process/2015-11-05#Q.26A

--
Quim Gil
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Superprotect is gone

Sam Klein
Thank you.

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 12:35 PM, Quim Gil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Superprotect [1] was introduced by the Wikimedia Foundation to resolve a
> product development disagreement. We have not used it for resolving a
> dispute since. Consequently, today we are removing Superprotect from
> Wikimedia servers.
>
> Without Superprotect, a symbolic point of tension is resolved. However, we
> still have the underlying problem of disagreement and consequent delays at
> the product deployment phase. We need to become better software partners,
> work together towards better products, and ship better features faster. The
> collaboration between the WMF and the communities depends on mutual trust
> and constructive criticism. We need to improve Wikimedia mechanisms to
> build consensus, include more voices, and resolve disputes.
>
> There is a first draft of an updated Product Development Process [2] that
> will guide the work of the WMF Engineering and Product teams.[3] It
> stresses the need for community feedback throughout the process, but
> particularly in the early phases of development. More feedback earlier on
> will allow us to incorporate community-driven improvements and address
> potential controversy while plans and software are most flexible.
>
> We welcome the feedback of technical and non-technical contributors. Check
> the Q&A for details.[4]
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Superprotect
> [2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Product_Development_Process
> [3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering
> [4]
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Product_Development_Process/2015-11-05#Q.26A
>
> --
> Quim Gil
> Engineering Community Manager @ Wikimedia Foundation
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Samuel Klein          @metasj          w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Superprotect is gone

Todd Allen
Yes indeed, thank you.
On Nov 5, 2015 10:36 AM, "Quim Gil" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Superprotect [1] was introduced by the Wikimedia Foundation to resolve a
> product development disagreement. We have not used it for resolving a
> dispute since. Consequently, today we are removing Superprotect from
> Wikimedia servers.
>
> Without Superprotect, a symbolic point of tension is resolved. However, we
> still have the underlying problem of disagreement and consequent delays at
> the product deployment phase. We need to become better software partners,
> work together towards better products, and ship better features faster. The
> collaboration between the WMF and the communities depends on mutual trust
> and constructive criticism. We need to improve Wikimedia mechanisms to
> build consensus, include more voices, and resolve disputes.
>
> There is a first draft of an updated Product Development Process [2] that
> will guide the work of the WMF Engineering and Product teams.[3] It
> stresses the need for community feedback throughout the process, but
> particularly in the early phases of development. More feedback earlier on
> will allow us to incorporate community-driven improvements and address
> potential controversy while plans and software are most flexible.
>
> We welcome the feedback of technical and non-technical contributors. Check
> the Q&A for details.[4]
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Superprotect
> [2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Product_Development_Process
> [3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering
> [4]
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Product_Development_Process/2015-11-05#Q.26A
>
> --
> Quim Gil
> Engineering Community Manager @ Wikimedia Foundation
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Superprotect is gone

Tito Dutta
That's an interesting update. Thanks for sharing.
--
Tito

On 5 November 2015 at 23:05, Quim Gil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Superprotect [1] was introduced by the Wikimedia Foundation to resolve a
> product development disagreement. We have not used it for resolving a
> dispute since. Consequently, today we are removing Superprotect from
> Wikimedia servers.
>
> Without Superprotect, a symbolic point of tension is resolved. However, we
> still have the underlying problem of disagreement and consequent delays at
> the product deployment phase. We need to become better software partners,
> work together towards better products, and ship better features faster. The
> collaboration between the WMF and the communities depends on mutual trust
> and constructive criticism. We need to improve Wikimedia mechanisms to
> build consensus, include more voices, and resolve disputes.
>
> There is a first draft of an updated Product Development Process [2] that
> will guide the work of the WMF Engineering and Product teams.[3] It
> stresses the need for community feedback throughout the process, but
> particularly in the early phases of development. More feedback earlier on
> will allow us to incorporate community-driven improvements and address
> potential controversy while plans and software are most flexible.
>
> We welcome the feedback of technical and non-technical contributors. Check
> the Q&A for details.[4]
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Superprotect
> [2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Product_Development_Process
> [3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering
> [4]
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Product_Development_Process/2015-11-05#Q.26A
>
> --
> Quim Gil
> Engineering Community Manager @ Wikimedia Foundation
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Superprotect is gone

Laurentius-2
Il giorno gio, 05/11/2015 alle 18.35 +0100, Quim Gil ha scritto:
> Superprotect [1] was introduced by the Wikimedia Foundation to resolve
> product development disagreement. We have not used it for resolving a
> dispute since. Consequently, today we are removing Superprotect from
> Wikimedia servers.

This is great news!

Just to understand, is it still present in MediaWiki but not active on
Wikimedia sites or it not in the MediaWiki code anymore?

Laurentius

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Superprotect is gone

Dan Garry
On 5 November 2015 at 10:14, Laurentius <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just to understand, is it still present in MediaWiki but not active on
> Wikimedia sites or it not in the MediaWiki code anymore?

There was a patch merged which removed the protection level completely:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/251286/

Dan

--
Dan Garry
Lead Product Manager, Discovery

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Superprotect is gone

Asaf Bartov-2
\o/

   A.

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 10:20 AM, Dan Garry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5 November 2015 at 10:14, Laurentius <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Just to understand, is it still present in MediaWiki but not active on
> > Wikimedia sites or it not in the MediaWiki code anymore?
> >

> There was a patch merged which removed the protection level completely:
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/251286/
>
> Dan
>
> --
> Dan Garry
> Lead Product Manager, Discovery
> Wikimedia Foundation

    Asaf Bartov

https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Superprotect is gone

Leila Zia
great news, indeed!

Thanks to everyone involved during the different stages of this process for
making this happen. :-)

Leila

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> \o/
>
>    A.
>
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 10:20 AM, Dan Garry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 5 November 2015 at 10:14, Laurentius <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Just to understand, is it still present in MediaWiki but not active on
> > > Wikimedia sites or it not in the MediaWiki code anymore?
> > >

> > There was a patch merged which removed the protection level completely:
> > https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/251286/
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > --
> > Dan Garry
> > Lead Product Manager, Discovery
> > Wikimedia Foundation

>     Asaf Bartov
>     Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>

> https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Superprotect is gone

Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Laurentius <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Just to understand, is it still present in MediaWiki but not active on
> Wikimedia sites or it not in the MediaWiki code anymore?

It never was in the MediaWiki code to begin with. It was just a particular
configuration of a custom protection level, like the 'templateeditor'
("template protected") level on enwiki or the 'editeditorprotected'
("gesch├╝tzt (nur Sichter)") level on dewiki.

--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Senior Software Engineer

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Superprotect is gone

Chris Keating-2
Yay! Great news about Superprotect's scrapping, also really good to hear
the direction of travel on the development process.

Chris
On 5 Nov 2015 17:36, "Quim Gil" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Superprotect [1] was introduced by the Wikimedia Foundation to resolve a
> product development disagreement. We have not used it for resolving a
> dispute since. Consequently, today we are removing Superprotect from
> Wikimedia servers.
>
> Without Superprotect, a symbolic point of tension is resolved. However, we
> still have the underlying problem of disagreement and consequent delays at
> the product deployment phase. We need to become better software partners,
> work together towards better products, and ship better features faster. The
> collaboration between the WMF and the communities depends on mutual trust
> and constructive criticism. We need to improve Wikimedia mechanisms to
> build consensus, include more voices, and resolve disputes.
>
> There is a first draft of an updated Product Development Process [2] that
> will guide the work of the WMF Engineering and Product teams.[3] It
> stresses the need for community feedback throughout the process, but
> particularly in the early phases of development. More feedback earlier on
> will allow us to incorporate community-driven improvements and address
> potential controversy while plans and software are most flexible.
>
> We welcome the feedback of technical and non-technical contributors. Check
> the Q&A for details.[4]
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Superprotect
> [2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Product_Development_Process
> [3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering
> [4]
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Product_Development_Process/2015-11-05#Q.26A
>
> --
> Quim Gil
> Engineering Community Manager @ Wikimedia Foundation
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Superprotect is gone

Pierre-Selim
It's a great news to hear that superprotect is gone and the willingness of
a better collaboration.
It's a long-awaited move.

> Yay! Great news about Superprotect's scrapping, also really good to hear
> the direction of travel on the development process.
>
> Chris
> On 5 Nov 2015 17:36, "Quim Gil" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Superprotect [1] was introduced by the Wikimedia Foundation to resolve a
> > product development disagreement. We have not used it for resolving a
> > dispute since. Consequently, today we are removing Superprotect from
> > Wikimedia servers.
> >
> > Without Superprotect, a symbolic point of tension is resolved. However,
> we
> > still have the underlying problem of disagreement and consequent delays
> at
> > the product deployment phase. We need to become better software partners,
> > work together towards better products, and ship better features faster.
> The
> > collaboration between the WMF and the communities depends on mutual trust
> > and constructive criticism. We need to improve Wikimedia mechanisms to
> > build consensus, include more voices, and resolve disputes.
> >
> > There is a first draft of an updated Product Development Process [2] that
> > will guide the work of the WMF Engineering and Product teams.[3] It
> > stresses the need for community feedback throughout the process, but
> > particularly in the early phases of development. More feedback earlier on
> > will allow us to incorporate community-driven improvements and address
> > potential controversy while plans and software are most flexible.
> >
> > We welcome the feedback of technical and non-technical contributors.
> Check
> > the Q&A for details.[4]
> >
> > [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Superprotect
> > [2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Product_Development_Process
> > [3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering
> > [4]
> >

> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Product_Development_Process/2015-11-05#Q.26A
> >
> > --
> > Quim Gil
> > Engineering Community Manager @ Wikimedia Foundation
> > http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Pierre-Selim

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Superprotect is gone

Bodhisattwa Mandal
At last it is gone. Great news. Looking forward.

Bodhisattwa
On 6 Nov 2015 00:40, "Pierre-Selim" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's a great news to hear that superprotect is gone and the willingness of
> a better collaboration.
> It's a long-awaited move.

> > Yay! Great news about Superprotect's scrapping, also really good to hear
> > the direction of travel on the development process.
> >
> > Chris
> > On 5 Nov 2015 17:36, "Quim Gil" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Superprotect [1] was introduced by the Wikimedia Foundation to resolve
> > > product development disagreement. We have not used it for resolving a
> > > dispute since. Consequently, today we are removing Superprotect from
> > > Wikimedia servers.
> > >
> > > Without Superprotect, a symbolic point of tension is resolved. However,
> > we
> > > still have the underlying problem of disagreement and consequent delays
> > at
> > > the product deployment phase. We need to become better software
> partners,
> > > work together towards better products, and ship better features faster.
> > The
> > > collaboration between the WMF and the communities depends on mutual
> trust
> > > and constructive criticism. We need to improve Wikimedia mechanisms to
> > > build consensus, include more voices, and resolve disputes.
> > >
> > > There is a first draft of an updated Product Development Process [2]
> that
> > > will guide the work of the WMF Engineering and Product teams.[3] It
> > > stresses the need for community feedback throughout the process, but
> > > particularly in the early phases of development. More feedback earlier
> on
> > > will allow us to incorporate community-driven improvements and address
> > > potential controversy while plans and software are most flexible.
> > >
> > > We welcome the feedback of technical and non-technical contributors.
> > Check
> > > the Q&A for details.[4]
> > >
> > > [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Superprotect
> > > [2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Product_Development_Process
> > > [3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering
> > > [4]
> > >

> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Product_Development_Process/2015-11-05#Q.26A
> > >
> > > --
> > > Quim Gil
> > > Engineering Community Manager @ Wikimedia Foundation
> > > http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

> Pierre-Selim

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Superprotect is gone

Brion Vibber-4
On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Laurentius <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Il giorno gio, 05/11/2015 alle 18.35 +0100, Quim Gil ha scritto:
> > Superprotect [1] was introduced by the Wikimedia Foundation to resolve
> > product development disagreement. We have not used it for resolving a
> > dispute since. Consequently, today we are removing Superprotect from
> > Wikimedia servers.
>
> This is great news!
>
> Just to understand, is it still present in MediaWiki but not active on
> Wikimedia sites or it not in the MediaWiki code anymore?

There is no code specific to "superprotect"; it's the exact same MediaWiki
permissions/protection system that lets users in the 'sysop' group override
the ability of anonymous or regular users to edit particular pages.
Technically nothing has changed -- particular protection levels can be
added and removed via configuration at any time if they are needed.

In other words -- ignore the superprotect red herring! Please look at the
documentation of the product process and give feedback on that, it's much,
MUCH more important:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Product_Development_Process

-- brion

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Superprotect is gone

Ricordisamoa
Hi Quim,
you really made my day. :-)

Il 05/11/2015 18:35, Quim Gil ha scritto:

> Superprotect [1] was introduced by the Wikimedia Foundation to resolve a
> product development disagreement. We have not used it for resolving a
> dispute since. Consequently, today we are removing Superprotect from
> Wikimedia servers.
>
> Without Superprotect, a symbolic point of tension is resolved. However, we
> still have the underlying problem of disagreement and consequent delays at
> the product deployment phase. We need to become better software partners,
> work together towards better products, and ship better features faster. The
> collaboration between the WMF and the communities depends on mutual trust
> and constructive criticism. We need to improve Wikimedia mechanisms to
> build consensus, include more voices, and resolve disputes.
>
> There is a first draft of an updated Product Development Process [2] that
> will guide the work of the WMF Engineering and Product teams.[3] It
> stresses the need for community feedback throughout the process, but
> particularly in the early phases of development. More feedback earlier on
> will allow us to incorporate community-driven improvements and address
> potential controversy while plans and software are most flexible.
>
> We welcome the feedback of technical and non-technical contributors. Check
> the Q&A for details.[4]
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Superprotect
> [2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Product_Development_Process
> [3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering
> [4]
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Product_Development_Process/2015-11-05#Q.26A

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Superprotect is gone

Pete Forsyth-2
Thank you for sharing the news, Quim.

Following Quim's announcement, there was also, for the first time since
nearly 1,000 Wikimedians requested the Foundation address this issue in
2014,[1] a formal statement about it from the organization's leadership.
Executive Director Lila Tretikov said today in the live-streamed, monthly
Metrics & Activities meeting:

"We wanted to remove Superprotect. Superprotect set up a precedent of
mistrust, and this is something it was really important for us to remove,
to at least come back to the baseline of a relationship where we're working
together, we're one community, to create a better process. To make sure we
can move together faster, and to make sure everybody is part of that
process, everybody is part of that conversation, and not just us at WMF."[2]

-Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]]

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Letter_to_Wikimedia_Foundation:_Superprotect_and_Media_Viewer
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePV-7nhO-z0#t=18m50s

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Superprotect is gone

MZMcBride-2
Brion Vibber wrote:
>In other words -- ignore the superprotect red herring! Please look at the
>documentation of the product process and give feedback on that, it's much,
>MUCH more important:
>
>https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Product_Development_Process

Great news to read that "superprotection" is dead! Erik brought an
invaluable amount of good to Wikimedia, but that mis-feature was
unequivocally bad. Personally, I think it was more of an albatross than a
red herring. ;-)  Good riddance.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Superprotect is gone

Yaroslav M. Blanter
On 2015-11-05 18:35, Quim Gil wrote:
> Superprotect [1] was introduced by the Wikimedia Foundation to resolve
> product development disagreement. We have not used it for resolving a
> dispute since. Consequently, today we are removing Superprotect from
> Wikimedia servers.

Great, thank you, it is clearly a step in a good direction.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Superprotect is gone

Craig Franklin
Good riddance to a bad mistake.  Hopefully the underlying causes of the
MediaViewer conflict can be addressed before any other incidents of this
nature occur.

Cheers,
Craig
On 06/11/2015 3:36 AM, "Quim Gil" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Superprotect [1] was introduced by the Wikimedia Foundation to resolve a
> product development disagreement. We have not used it for resolving a
> dispute since. Consequently, today we are removing Superprotect from
> Wikimedia servers.
>
> Without Superprotect, a symbolic point of tension is resolved. However, we
> still have the underlying problem of disagreement and consequent delays at
> the product deployment phase. We need to become better software partners,
> work together towards better products, and ship better features faster. The
> collaboration between the WMF and the communities depends on mutual trust
> and constructive criticism. We need to improve Wikimedia mechanisms to
> build consensus, include more voices, and resolve disputes.
>
> There is a first draft of an updated Product Development Process [2] that
> will guide the work of the WMF Engineering and Product teams.[3] It
> stresses the need for community feedback throughout the process, but
> particularly in the early phases of development. More feedback earlier on
> will allow us to incorporate community-driven improvements and address
> potential controversy while plans and software are most flexible.
>
> We welcome the feedback of technical and non-technical contributors. Check
> the Q&A for details.[4]
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Superprotect
> [2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Product_Development_Process
> [3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering
> [4]
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WMF_Product_Development_Process/2015-11-05#Q.26A
>
> --
> Quim Gil
> Engineering Community Manager @ Wikimedia Foundation
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Superprotect is gone

Neil Harris
On 05/11/15 17:35, Quim Gil wrote:

> Superprotect [1] was introduced by the Wikimedia Foundation to resolve a
> product development disagreement. We have not used it for resolving a
> dispute since. Consequently, today we are removing Superprotect from
> Wikimedia servers.
>
> Without Superprotect, a symbolic point of tension is resolved. However, we
> still have the underlying problem of disagreement and consequent delays at
> the product deployment phase. We need to become better software partners,
> work together towards better products, and ship better features faster. The
> collaboration between the WMF and the communities depends on mutual trust
> and constructive criticism. We need to improve Wikimedia mechanisms to
> build consensus, include more voices, and resolve disputes.

That's fantastic, represents a huge vote of confidence for the Wiki Way,
and is a big move towards improving the relationship between the WMF and
the community.

Thank you!

-- Neil

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Superprotect is gone

pi zero
On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Neil Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's fantastic, represents a huge vote of confidence for the Wiki Way,
> and is a big move towards improving the relationship between the WMF and
> the community.

Just to keep things in perspective: the removal of superprotect (which is,
granted, not the only action described) is a rather minor and only mildly
positive step.  Compare it to what should have happened: superprotect
*should* have been removed a year ago along with a profuse apology
acknowledging that it should never have been imposed in the first place.
Instead, it's removed a year later with the remark that "We have not used
it for resolving a dispute since. Consequently, today we are removing
Superprotect from Wikimedia servers" (05/11/15 17:35, Quim Gil wrote).  In
other words, it wasn't removed because it shouldn't have been imposed in
the first place, but merely because it wasn't used.  Is it good that it was
removed?  Sure, it's better to have had it removed than not.  But it's a
cheap token gesture.