[Wikimedia-l] TPP - copyright

Gnangarra
We have a new problem to face in the coming months assuming countries
ratify the Trans Pacific Partnership
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Pacific_Partnership

The text of the agreement has been released in the last 24 hours, early
commentary is indicating that copyright changes will occur restoring
copyright to some works that are currently PD.
http://boingboing.net/2015/11/06/how-tpp-will-clobber-canadas.html

According reports this will affect media sourced in Canada where copyright
will be extended from 50-70 years meaning that image sin this period may
need to be deleted both on commons and on en:wp, Australian sourced images
face a similar issue as will other countries.

Rather than a piece meal commons copyright battle, and a duplicate one on
en:wp being lead by  unqualified wikilawyers resulting in project
discrepancies. I'm calling on the community to take  more holistic approach
and request that the WMF ask for its legal eagles to give an edict we can
take or communities to explain what will happen in each jurisdiction as the
TPP is ratified.

This will also give us guidance as to how Affiliates can approach and
support activities locally  to ensure material that is already freely
available remains so.

​ideon

President Wikimedia Australia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] TPP - copyright

梁忠明
Possibly Wikilivres, a site which is used to store PD works in Canada (but
copyrighted works in the USA, i.e. a work which the author died 50 yrs ago
or published by an organization 50 yrs ago), is also being affected. When
the TPP was under negotiation, I was thinking whether it should move its
base to a non-signatory of the TPP which currently shares similar copyright
terms with Canada and has a lenient censorship regime (e.g. Hong Kong).
Though I doubt whether the rule is only applicable to works published after
the agreement is in effect.

Leung Chung-ming (User:春卷柯南)
Chinese WIkipedia

> We have a new problem to face in the coming months assuming countries
> ratify the Trans Pacific Partnership
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Pacific_Partnership
>
> The text of the agreement has been released in the last 24 hours, early
> commentary is indicating that copyright changes will occur restoring
> copyright to some works that are currently PD.
> http://boingboing.net/2015/11/06/how-tpp-will-clobber-canadas.html
>
> According reports this will affect media sourced in Canada where copyright
> will be extended from 50-70 years meaning that image sin this period may
> need to be deleted both on commons and on en:wp, Australian sourced images
> face a similar issue as will other countries.
>
> Rather than a piece meal commons copyright battle, and a duplicate one on
> en:wp being lead by  unqualified wikilawyers resulting in project
> discrepancies. I'm calling on the community to take  more holistic approach
> and request that the WMF ask for its legal eagles to give an edict we can
> take or communities to explain what will happen in each jurisdiction as the
> TPP is ratified.
>
> This will also give us guidance as to how Affiliates can approach and
> support activities locally  to ensure material that is already freely
> available remains so.

> ​ideon
>
> President Wikimedia Australia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] TPP - copyright

Takes out the GPL too: http://keionline.org/node/2363

(yep, the TPP is every bit as good as we were expecting)

I anticipate a sudden tech coalition at that one, which we should get in on.

- d.

On 6 November 2015 at 12:22, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have a new problem to face in the coming months assuming countries
> ratify the Trans Pacific Partnership
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Pacific_Partnership
>
> The text of the agreement has been released in the last 24 hours, early
> commentary is indicating that copyright changes will occur restoring
> copyright to some works that are currently PD.
> http://boingboing.net/2015/11/06/how-tpp-will-clobber-canadas.html
>
> According reports this will affect media sourced in Canada where copyright
> will be extended from 50-70 years meaning that image sin this period may
> need to be deleted both on commons and on en:wp, Australian sourced images
> face a similar issue as will other countries.
>
> Rather than a piece meal commons copyright battle, and a duplicate one on
> en:wp being lead by  unqualified wikilawyers resulting in project
> discrepancies. I'm calling on the community to take  more holistic approach
> and request that the WMF ask for its legal eagles to give an edict we can
> take or communities to explain what will happen in each jurisdiction as the
> TPP is ratified.
>
> This will also give us guidance as to how Affiliates can approach and
> support activities locally  to ensure material that is already freely
> available remains so.

> ideon
>
> President Wikimedia Australia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] TPP - copyright

rupert THURNER-2
Europe harmonized it's copyright as well to 70 yrs for everything. It did
not change an existing copyright state at the time when it is ratified by a
countries law makers.

Rupert

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Commons-l] TPP - copyright

Ryan Kaldari-2
I don't see anything in the TPP requiring retroactive application of
copyright terms. We'll have to wait and see how the various countries
choose to apply the new terms. Applying terms retroactively is uncommon,
but possible. We also have no idea when these countries are actually going
to apply the new terms. It took the UK 100 years to apply the terms of the
Berne Convention after signing it. If a country proposes a retroactive
copyright extension as part of their compliance legislation, it is still
possible to fight the retroactive provision (regardless of what BoingBoing
says). In other words, it's way too early to start talking about deleting
files from Commons. Even the URAA took 18 years from the time it was passed
until Commons had to actually deal with it (due to the *Golan v. Holder*
decision).

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 5:22 AM, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have a new problem to face in the coming months assuming countries
> ratify the Trans Pacific Partnership
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Pacific_Partnership
>
> The text of the agreement has been released in the last 24 hours, early
> commentary is indicating that copyright changes will occur restoring
> copyright to some works that are currently PD.
> http://boingboing.net/2015/11/06/how-tpp-will-clobber-canadas.html
>
> According reports this will affect media sourced in Canada where copyright
> will be extended from 50-70 years meaning that image sin this period may
> need to be deleted both on commons and on en:wp, Australian sourced images
> face a similar issue as will other countries.
>
> Rather than a piece meal commons copyright battle, and a duplicate one on
> en:wp being lead by  unqualified wikilawyers resulting in project
> discrepancies. I'm calling on the community to take  more holistic approach
> and request that the WMF ask for its legal eagles to give an edict we can
> take or communities to explain what will happen in each jurisdiction as the
> TPP is ratified.
>
> This will also give us guidance as to how Affiliates can approach and
> support activities locally  to ensure material that is already freely
> available remains so.

> ​ideon
>
> President Wikimedia Australia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Commons-l] TPP - copyright

Isaac David

Le ven. 6 nov. 2015 à 11:22, Ryan Kaldari <[hidden email]> a
écrit :
> Applying terms retroactively is uncommon, but possible.

Already happened.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sonny_Bono_Copyright_Term_Extension

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Commons-l] TPP - copyright

Gergő Tisza
On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 9:22 AM, Ryan Kaldari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't see anything in the TPP requiring retroactive application of
> copyright terms. We'll have to wait and see how the various countries
> choose to apply the new terms. Applying terms retroactively is uncommon,
> but possible. We also have no idea when these countries are actually going
> to apply the new terms.

I don't think it's uncommon, the US is the odd one out on this (or almost
out, since in the end it did apply Berne  terms retroactively). For example
the EU Copyright Directive prescribes a death + 70 copyright term so
countries joining the EU restore copyright to all works for which they had
shorter protection. International copyright treaties tend to be retroactive
by default; "works shall be protected for X years after the death of the
author" applies to all works, whether they are in the public domain
currently or not.

From the regulator's point of view this is reasonable; the point of these
treaties is harmonization of the law, and harmonizing the protection term
of one group of works but leaving another group protected in some countries
and unprotected in others doesn't really make sense. The alternative would
be a rule of the shorter term, but the US does not have that, and they are
the driving force behind TPP, so...

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Commons-l] TPP - copyright

Ivan Martínez
Hi, there's a lot of review and analyze about TPP because not only in the
States we will have potential strong legal modifications. In Wikimedia
Mexico we are aware since one year ago at least following the analysis of
other NGOs devoted to internet freedom and copyright which can be a
potential risk to Wikimedia mission.

The main issue in the next days is that the extension of the revealed text
needs to have much analysis to have clear points that can be potential
risks to our mission.

> On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 9:22 AM, Ryan Kaldari <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I don't see anything in the TPP requiring retroactive application of
> > copyright terms. We'll have to wait and see how the various countries
> > choose to apply the new terms. Applying terms retroactively is uncommon,
> > but possible. We also have no idea when these countries are actually
> going
> > to apply the new terms.
> >

> I don't think it's uncommon, the US is the odd one out on this (or almost
> out, since in the end it did apply Berne  terms retroactively). For example
> the EU Copyright Directive prescribes a death + 70 copyright term so
> countries joining the EU restore copyright to all works for which they had
> shorter protection. International copyright treaties tend to be retroactive
> by default; "works shall be protected for X years after the death of the
> author" applies to all works, whether they are in the public domain
> currently or not.
>
> From the regulator's point of view this is reasonable; the point of these
> treaties is harmonization of the law, and harmonizing the protection term
> of one group of works but leaving another group protected in some countries
> and unprotected in others doesn't really make sense. The alternative would
> be a rule of the shorter term, but the US does not have that, and they are
> the driving force behind TPP, so...

*Iván Martínez*

*Presidente - Wikimedia México A.C.User:ProtoplasmaKid @protoplasmakid*

Hemos creado la más grande colección de conocimiento compartido. Ayuda a
proteger a Wikipedia, dona ahora:
https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Commons-l] TPP - copyright

Ivan Martínez
Hi folks, following this conversation, Creative Commons published this post
yesterday.

https://creativecommons.org/campaigns/trans-pacific-partnership-would-harm-user-rights-and-the-commons

--
*Iván Martínez*

*Presidente - Wikimedia México A.C.User:ProtoplasmaKid @protoplasmakid*

Hemos creado la más grande colección de conocimiento compartido. Ayuda a
proteger a Wikipedia, dona ahora:
https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] TPP - copyright

jayanta nath-2