[Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

[Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

Lodewijk
While we have long discussions on this list about board composition, we
seem to almost ignore the fact that two long time veterans are leaving the
Wikimedia Foundation board, as scheduled. Jan-Bart de Vreede and Stu West
have been around longer than many regular editors nowadays, and I think
there are not many people who can recall the days that the board didn't
have them on it. I have never had the pleasure to serve on the board with
them, but a little thank-you from our community side, would seem in place.

Stu joined the board already in 2008 (filling Michael Davis' seat), and has
been a solid power on the board's audit responsibilities (I believe he
chaired the audit committee for quite a while) and was a force behind the
accountability of movement affiliates. While we often strongly disagreed on
affiliate issues, I appreciate the fact that he always remained
constructive and wanted to think about solutions rather than problems. He
served both as treasurer and vice chair.

Jan-Bart was on the board even longer, since early 2007, and I recall
already working with him through Kennisnet (a Dutch foundation for
education and IT) before that. Jan-Bart is one of those rare people who
went to ALL wikimania conferences, and can be easily recognised there with
his big smile. I can't remember a theme Jan-Bart didn't work on in the past
years (Affiliates, HR, searching a new Executive Director) and he served
the board in many positions, including as chair.

I'm sure that the WMF communications staff and/or board has a nice thankyou
coming up - with a more accurate description of the awesome work they did,
that I now made up from the top of my head. But in the mean time, I'd like
to do it myself: Thank you Jan-Bart and Stu for all the time, energy and
effort that you poured into our movement. I know that not all of us
appreciate this as much as we perhaps should, and sometimes you may even
have perceived us as hostile. I do sincerely hope that you had fun with us
though, and I'm confident that you made a big dent in our impossible
mission of sharing the sum of all knowledge with everyone.

I hope to meet you again soon, at least in Italy at Wikimania, and I hope
to see you around in our movement in many different ways.

Best,

Lodewijk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

Steven Walling
Thanks for starting this thread Lodewijk.

Jan-Bart and Stu: Wikimedia has been lucky to have your participation over
these years.

Stu, thank you in particular for helping steer the financial governance of
the Wikimedia movement. Your expertise and professionalism have been deeply
important to making sure Wikimedia is a good steward of the money entrusted
to us by donors.

Jan-Bart, my friend, you are a force to be reckoned with. It is difficult
to sum up the total impact of your leadership in the movement. I find
myself falling back on memories not just of your formal role on the board,
but of your warmth and generosity of spirit. I hope leaving the board (this
time) doesn't mean your Wikimania streak will be broken. ;-)

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 11:11 PM Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> While we have long discussions on this list about board composition, we
> seem to almost ignore the fact that two long time veterans are leaving the
> Wikimedia Foundation board, as scheduled. Jan-Bart de Vreede and Stu West
> have been around longer than many regular editors nowadays, and I think
> there are not many people who can recall the days that the board didn't
> have them on it. I have never had the pleasure to serve on the board with
> them, but a little thank-you from our community side, would seem in place.
>
> Stu joined the board already in 2008 (filling Michael Davis' seat), and has
> been a solid power on the board's audit responsibilities (I believe he
> chaired the audit committee for quite a while) and was a force behind the
> accountability of movement affiliates. While we often strongly disagreed on
> affiliate issues, I appreciate the fact that he always remained
> constructive and wanted to think about solutions rather than problems. He
> served both as treasurer and vice chair.
>
> Jan-Bart was on the board even longer, since early 2007, and I recall
> already working with him through Kennisnet (a Dutch foundation for
> education and IT) before that. Jan-Bart is one of those rare people who
> went to ALL wikimania conferences, and can be easily recognised there with
> his big smile. I can't remember a theme Jan-Bart didn't work on in the past
> years (Affiliates, HR, searching a new Executive Director) and he served
> the board in many positions, including as chair.
>
> I'm sure that the WMF communications staff and/or board has a nice thankyou
> coming up - with a more accurate description of the awesome work they did,
> that I now made up from the top of my head. But in the mean time, I'd like
> to do it myself: Thank you Jan-Bart and Stu for all the time, energy and
> effort that you poured into our movement. I know that not all of us
> appreciate this as much as we perhaps should, and sometimes you may even
> have perceived us as hostile. I do sincerely hope that you had fun with us
> though, and I'm confident that you made a big dent in our impossible
> mission of sharing the sum of all knowledge with everyone.
>
> I hope to meet you again soon, at least in Italy at Wikimania, and I hope
> to see you around in our movement in many different ways.
>
> Best,
>
> Lodewijk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

Chris Keating-2
I just wanted to add my thanks as well as both Jan-Bart and Stu have served
the movement with a huge amount of dedication and commitment for many years
and helped steer the WMF through many challenges. It has been a real
pleasure to work with both of you.

Thank you both for everything you have done and best wishes for the future!

On a more practical note as there is now no Dutch person on the WMF board I
am concerned that there is now no obvious supplier of stroopwafel at board
meetings - has a proper impact assessment been conducted?

Chris

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 8:56 AM, Steven Walling <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> did,
> > that I now made up from the top of my head. But in the mean time, I'd
> like
> > to do it myself: Thank you Jan-Bart and Stu for all the time, energy and
> > effort that you poured into our movement. I know that not all of us
> > appreciate this as much as we perhaps should, and sometimes you may even
> > have perceived us as hostile. I do sincerely hope that you had fun with
> us
> > though, and I'm confident that you made a big dent in our impossible
> > mission of sharing the sum of all knowledge with everyone.
> >
> > I hope to meet you again soon, at least in Italy at Wikimania, and I hope
> > to see you around in our movement in many different ways.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Lodewijk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

Tanweer Morshed
The contribution of Jan-Bart and Stu cannot be ignored.They have immensely
put effort for the movement, and were involved for a long time. Thank you
Jan-Bart and Stu for your commitment and contribution.

Regards,
Tanweer

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Chris Keating <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > did,
> > > that I now made up from the top of my head. But in the mean time, I'd
> > like
> > > to do it myself: Thank you Jan-Bart and Stu for all the time, energy
> and
> > > effort that you poured into our movement. I know that not all of us
> > > appreciate this as much as we perhaps should, and sometimes you may
> even
> > > have perceived us as hostile. I do sincerely hope that you had fun with
> > us
> > > though, and I'm confident that you made a big dent in our impossible
> > > mission of sharing the sum of all knowledge with everyone.
> > >
> > > I hope to meet you again soon, at least in Italy at Wikimania, and I
> hope
> > > to see you around in our movement in many different ways.

Tanweer Morshed

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Jan Bart, I am grateful for our trip to Brussels. You have done good.

Stu you have done your thing and it is not mine. Thank you that I have
never taken an interest.
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 6 January 2016 at 10:44, Tanweer Morshed <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > has
> he
> > the
> > disagreed
> > > on
> problems.
> > He

> who
> > > with
> the
> > > past
> > served

> > > thankyou
> > > did,
> > > like
> > and
> > even
> with
> > > us

> > hope

> Regards,
> Tanweer Morshed

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

theo10011
A big Thank you from me too, to both these wonderful people. We've
certainly had our share of disagreements in other venues, but I've always
thought highly of both.

Stu is an excellent financial strategists, with an understanding for what
matters. His work with the audits and general business acumen were big
resources. I am grateful to have had our share our disagreements, it
afforded me the opportunity to know how knowledgeable Stu is and how
passionate he is about our goals. Thank you Stu.

I spent a few days around Jan-Bart, and he truly is a warm, wonderful
presence to be around - gregarious and funny, a true mensch. He was more
community oriented and supportive than any elected trustee I've known over
the years (Perhaps with the exception of Sj). A positive influence and a
voice of reason in any contentious discussion I've seen. Thank you
Jan-Bart.
Warm Regards
Theo

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 3:22 PM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > and
> > he
> behind
> > > the
> > > disagreed
> > problems.
> > > He

> recall
> > who
> there
> > the
> > > served

> they
> I'd
> energy
> > > and
> > > even
> > with
> impossible

> > > hope

> > Regards,
> > Tanweer Morshed

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

Tito Dutta
All the best :) :)

On 6 January 2016 at 16:25, Theo10011 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > behind
> > > problems.

> > recall
> for
> people
> > > who
> > there
> in
> > > the

> nice
> > they
> > I'd
> > energy
> us
> may
> fun
> > > with
> > impossible

> and

> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > > Tanweer Morshed

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

Michael Maggs
I'd like to add my word of thanks from Wikimedia UK, as well.  Both
Jan-Bart and Stu as long-standing and experienced trustees have been
notably welcoming, friendly and open, and both have been extremely
helpful in maintaining good WMF board / chapter board relations.  I know
I can speak for others at Wikimedia UK as well, who have had excellent
relations with them over the years.

It has been a pleasure to work with you both, and I and my colleagues
wish you all the best for the future.

Best regards

Michael

______________

Michael Maggs

Chair, Wikimedia UK

Lodewijk wrote:

> While we have long discussions on this list about board composition, we
> seem to almost ignore the fact that two long time veterans are leaving the
> Wikimedia Foundation board, as scheduled. Jan-Bart de Vreede and Stu West
> have been around longer than many regular editors nowadays, and I think
> there are not many people who can recall the days that the board didn't
> have them on it. I have never had the pleasure to serve on the board with
> them, but a little thank-you from our community side, would seem in place.
>
> Stu joined the board already in 2008 (filling Michael Davis' seat), and has
> been a solid power on the board's audit responsibilities (I believe he
> chaired the audit committee for quite a while) and was a force behind the
> accountability of movement affiliates. While we often strongly disagreed on
> affiliate issues, I appreciate the fact that he always remained
> constructive and wanted to think about solutions rather than problems. He
> served both as treasurer and vice chair.
>
> Jan-Bart was on the board even longer, since early 2007, and I recall
> already working with him through Kennisnet (a Dutch foundation for
> education and IT) before that. Jan-Bart is one of those rare people who
> went to ALL wikimania conferences, and can be easily recognised there with
> his big smile. I can't remember a theme Jan-Bart didn't work on in the past
> years (Affiliates, HR, searching a new Executive Director) and he served
> the board in many positions, including as chair.
>
> I'm sure that the WMF communications staff and/or board has a nice thankyou
> coming up - with a more accurate description of the awesome work they did,
> that I now made up from the top of my head. But in the mean time, I'd like
> to do it myself: Thank you Jan-Bart and Stu for all the time, energy and
> effort that you poured into our movement. I know that not all of us
> appreciate this as much as we perhaps should, and sometimes you may even
> have perceived us as hostile. I do sincerely hope that you had fun with us
> though, and I'm confident that you made a big dent in our impossible
> mission of sharing the sum of all knowledge with everyone.
>
> I hope to meet you again soon, at least in Italy at Wikimania, and I hope
> to see you around in our movement in many different ways.
>
> Best,
>
> Lodewijk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

Cristian Consonni

> [...] But in the mean time, I'd like
> to do it myself: Thank you Jan-Bart and Stu for all the time, energy and
> effort that you poured into our movement. I know that not all of us
> appreciate this as much as we perhaps should, and sometimes you may even
> have perceived us as hostile. I do sincerely hope that you had fun with us
> though, and I'm confident that you made a big dent in our impossible
> mission of sharing the sum of all knowledge with everyone.
>
> I hope to meet you again soon, at least in Italy at Wikimania, and I hope
> to see you around in our movement in many different ways.

Thank you Jan-Bart and Stu for all your contributions to the movement
over many years.

Cristian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

Sydney Poore
I also want to thank Jan-Bart de Vreede and Stu West for their work as
Trustees. I had the pleasure of working with both of them and know
them to be committed to the wikimedia mission.

I hope you all stay engaged.
Warm regards,
Sydney Poore
Sydney Poore
User:FloNight
Wikipedian in Residence
at Cochrane Collaboration

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Cristian Consonni

>> [...] But in the mean time, I'd like
>> to do it myself: Thank you Jan-Bart and Stu for all the time, energy and
>> effort that you poured into our movement. I know that not all of us
>> appreciate this as much as we perhaps should, and sometimes you may even
>> have perceived us as hostile. I do sincerely hope that you had fun with us
>> though, and I'm confident that you made a big dent in our impossible
>> mission of sharing the sum of all knowledge with everyone.
>>
>> I hope to meet you again soon, at least in Italy at Wikimania, and I hope
>> to see you around in our movement in many different ways.
>
> Thank you Jan-Bart and Stu for all your contributions to the movement
> over many years.
>
> Cristian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

Anna Stillwell
Thank you both for your service.
Warmly,
/a

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 7:34 AM, Sydney Poore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I also want to thank Jan-Bart de Vreede and Stu West for their work as
> Trustees. I had the pleasure of working with both of them and know
> them to be committed to the wikimedia mission.
>
> I hope you all stay engaged.
> Warm regards,
> Sydney Poore
> Sydney Poore
> User:FloNight
> Wikipedian in Residence
> at Cochrane Collaboration
>

> On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Cristian Consonni
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> [...] But in the mean time, I'd like
> >> to do it myself: Thank you Jan-Bart and Stu for all the time, energy and
> >> effort that you poured into our movement. I know that not all of us
> >> appreciate this as much as we perhaps should, and sometimes you may even
> >> have perceived us as hostile. I do sincerely hope that you had fun with
> us
> >> though, and I'm confident that you made a big dent in our impossible
> >> mission of sharing the sum of all knowledge with everyone.
> >>
> >> I hope to meet you again soon, at least in Italy at Wikimania, and I
> hope
> >> to see you around in our movement in many different ways.
> >
> > Thank you Jan-Bart and Stu for all your contributions to the movement
> > over many years.
> >
> > Cristian

Anna Stillwell
Major Gifts Officer
Wikimedia Foundation
415.806.1536
*www.wikimediafoundation.org <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

Katie Chan
Thank you both. Hope to continue to see you around. :)

KTC

On 06/01/2016 16:11, Anna Stillwell wrote:

> Thank you both for your service.
> Warmly,
> /a
>
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 7:34 AM, Sydney Poore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I also want to thank Jan-Bart de Vreede and Stu West for their work as
>> Trustees. I had the pleasure of working with both of them and know
>> them to be committed to the wikimedia mission.
>>
>> I hope you all stay engaged.
>> Warm regards,
>> Sydney Poore
>> Sydney Poore
>> User:FloNight
>> Wikipedian in Residence
>> at Cochrane Collaboration

>> us

>> hope
>>>
>>> Thank you Jan-Bart and Stu for all your contributions to the movement
>>> over many years.
>>>
>>> Cristian

Katie Chan
Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent the view of any organisation the
author is associated with or employed by.

     - Heinrich Heine

---

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

Philippe Beaudette-4
I consider myself honored to think of both Jan-Bart and Stu as friends.
They are both exceptional people, who steered the WMF through a serious
period of growth and rarely, if ever, put a foot wrong in so doing.  My
hat's off to both of you.

Best,
pb

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 2:55 AM, Theo10011 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 3:22 PM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Hoi,
> > Jan Bart, I am grateful for our trip to Brussels. You have done good.
> >
> > Stu you have done your thing and it is not mine. Thank you that I have
> > never taken an interest.
> > Thanks,
> >      GerardM
> >
> > On 6 January 2016 at 10:44, Tanweer Morshed <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > The contribution of Jan-Bart and Stu cannot be ignored.They have
> > immensely
> > > put effort for the movement, and were involved for a long time. Thank
> you
> > > Jan-Bart and Stu for your commitment and contribution.
> > >

> > > Regards,
> > > Tanweer
> > >
> > > On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Chris Keating <

Philippe Beaudette

[hidden email]
415-691-8822

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

Amy Vossbrinck
Yes and a very big thank you to Stu for all of his work on the Audit
Committee!!

Take care, Amy

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 8:52 AM, Katie Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you both. Hope to continue to see you around. :)
>
> KTC
>
> On 06/01/2016 16:11, Anna Stillwell wrote:
>
>> Thank you both for your service.
>> Warmly,
>> /a
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 7:34 AM, Sydney Poore <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I also want to thank Jan-Bart de Vreede and Stu West for their work as
>>> Trustees. I had the pleasure of working with both of them and know
>>> them to be committed to the wikimedia mission.
>>>
>>> I hope you all stay engaged.
>>> Warm regards,
>>> Sydney Poore
>>> Sydney Poore
>>> User:FloNight
>>> Wikipedian in Residence
>>> at Cochrane Collaboration

> Katie Chan
> Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the
> author and do not necessarily represent the view of any organisation the
> author is associated with or employed by.
>

> Experience is a good school but the fees are high.
>     - Heinrich Heine
>
> ---

*Amy Vossbrinck*
*Executive Assistant to the*
*Chief of Finance and Administration​ and*
*the Vice President of Human Resources​*
*Wikimedia Foundation*
*149 New Montgomery Street*
*San Francisco, CA 94105*
*415.839.6885  ext 6628*
*[hidden email] <[hidden email]>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

Florence Devouard-3
Thank you for this message Lodewijk !

I would like to join the messages already posted to thank both Stu and
Jan-Bart. I was on the board when we ask them to join us and I have no
memory of ever regretting that decision ;)

I wish you both the best !
JB, can we expect to see you in Italy next summer ? I sure hope so...

Anthere

  Le 06/01/16 08:10, Lodewijk a écrit :

> While we have long discussions on this list about board composition, we
> seem to almost ignore the fact that two long time veterans are leaving the
> Wikimedia Foundation board, as scheduled. Jan-Bart de Vreede and Stu West
> have been around longer than many regular editors nowadays, and I think
> there are not many people who can recall the days that the board didn't
> have them on it. I have never had the pleasure to serve on the board with
> them, but a little thank-you from our community side, would seem in place.
>
> Stu joined the board already in 2008 (filling Michael Davis' seat), and has
> been a solid power on the board's audit responsibilities (I believe he
> chaired the audit committee for quite a while) and was a force behind the
> accountability of movement affiliates. While we often strongly disagreed on
> affiliate issues, I appreciate the fact that he always remained
> constructive and wanted to think about solutions rather than problems. He
> served both as treasurer and vice chair.
>
> Jan-Bart was on the board even longer, since early 2007, and I recall
> already working with him through Kennisnet (a Dutch foundation for
> education and IT) before that. Jan-Bart is one of those rare people who
> went to ALL wikimania conferences, and can be easily recognised there with
> his big smile. I can't remember a theme Jan-Bart didn't work on in the past
> years (Affiliates, HR, searching a new Executive Director) and he served
> the board in many positions, including as chair.
>
> I'm sure that the WMF communications staff and/or board has a nice thankyou
> coming up - with a more accurate description of the awesome work they did,
> that I now made up from the top of my head. But in the mean time, I'd like
> to do it myself: Thank you Jan-Bart and Stu for all the time, energy and
> effort that you poured into our movement. I know that not all of us
> appreciate this as much as we perhaps should, and sometimes you may even
> have perceived us as hostile. I do sincerely hope that you had fun with us
> though, and I'm confident that you made a big dent in our impossible
> mission of sharing the sum of all knowledge with everyone.
>
> I hope to meet you again soon, at least in Italy at Wikimania, and I hope
> to see you around in our movement in many different ways.
>
> Best,
>
> Lodewijk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

rupert THURNER-2
thank you both. i enjoyed seeing jan-bart beeing the movements best man in
many situations. and i appreciated money talks and croissant with stu, who
was open to globalize the movement in a financial aspect while always
paying attention that it does not become FIFA. some videos from sunny haifa
and netherlands:
* stu, mr decentralization: https://youtube.com/watch?v=ULO0ppoxBs8&t=2951
* jan-bart, mr 1 mio $$, and stu, mr 100 years:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ULO0ppoxBs8&t=3912
* jan-bart, mr stroupwaffel: https://youtu.be/5C0aNWfwaaw?t=835
* jan-bart, mr hiring sue gardner: https://youtu.be/eCrMJMh4gX0?t=25

best,
rupert

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 1:12 AM, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thank you for this message Lodewijk !
>
> I would like to join the messages already posted to thank both Stu and
> Jan-Bart. I was on the board when we ask them to join us and I have no
> memory of ever regretting that decision ;)
>
> I wish you both the best !
> JB, can we expect to see you in Italy next summer ? I sure hope so...
>
> Anthere
>
>  Le 06/01/16 08:10, Lodewijk a écrit :
>
> While we have long discussions on this list about board composition, we
>> seem to almost ignore the fact that two long time veterans are leaving the
>> Wikimedia Foundation board, as scheduled. Jan-Bart de Vreede and Stu West
>> have been around longer than many regular editors nowadays, and I think
>> there are not many people who can recall the days that the board didn't
>> have them on it. I have never had the pleasure to serve on the board with
>> them, but a little thank-you from our community side, would seem in place.
>>
>> Stu joined the board already in 2008 (filling Michael Davis' seat), and
>> has
>> been a solid power on the board's audit responsibilities (I believe he
>> chaired the audit committee for quite a while) and was a force behind the
>> accountability of movement affiliates. While we often strongly disagreed
>> on
>> affiliate issues, I appreciate the fact that he always remained
>> constructive and wanted to think about solutions rather than problems. He
>> served both as treasurer and vice chair.
>>
>> Jan-Bart was on the board even longer, since early 2007, and I recall
>> already working with him through Kennisnet (a Dutch foundation for
>> education and IT) before that. Jan-Bart is one of those rare people who
>> went to ALL wikimania conferences, and can be easily recognised there with
>> his big smile. I can't remember a theme Jan-Bart didn't work on in the
>> past
>> years (Affiliates, HR, searching a new Executive Director) and he served
>> the board in many positions, including as chair.
>>
>> I'm sure that the WMF communications staff and/or board has a nice
>> thankyou
>> coming up - with a more accurate description of the awesome work they did,
>> that I now made up from the top of my head. But in the mean time, I'd like
>> to do it myself: Thank you Jan-Bart and Stu for all the time, energy and
>> effort that you poured into our movement. I know that not all of us
>> appreciate this as much as we perhaps should, and sometimes you may even
>> have perceived us as hostile. I do sincerely hope that you had fun with us
>> though, and I'm confident that you made a big dent in our impossible
>> mission of sharing the sum of all knowledge with everyone.
>>
>> I hope to meet you again soon, at least in Italy at Wikimania, and I hope
>> to see you around in our movement in many different ways.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Lodewijk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

Michael Snow-5
With their long and diligent service on the board, Jan-Bart and Stu are
two of the best examples of something we should appreciate more in
general - volunteers and movement participants who were not first and
foremost active in wiki editing. I'm thankful they managed to break
through the barriers we sometimes create for "outsiders", so that we
could in turn benefit from their extraordinary talents.

In Jan-Bart's case, I believe his optimism and gift for making everyone
feel welcome made it much easier for us to welcome him in return. And if
you ever had a discussion with Stu, I think for many of us his desire to
explore and understand movement metrics of all kinds (not just financial
ones) helped identify him as a kindred spirit.

By focusing on their personalities, I know that I'll fail to do justice
to the actual work they did on the board. I would likely fail anyway,
given how much of it I've seen and the long list I'd need to make. But
to be honest, I think who they are is as important as what they have
done. Thank you, Stu and Jan-Bart, for being Wikimedians.

--Michael Snow

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

Jan-Bart de Vreede-3
Hi All,

It has been an honour, this movement and its goals is one of the greatest things in the world and I am glad to be a part of it. The diversity of opinion is enormous which sometimes makes things hard, but at the same time that is one of our biggest strengths. I am grateful to have had the opportunity to get to know so many of you and am sure that I will continue to contribute in some way and meet a lot of you again.

I have been mulling over a longer message with some more reflections over the past days but I think I need a couple more weeks to formulate that properly.

Here is hoping to see a lot of you at Wikimania!

Thank you!

Jan-Bart

> [...]
>>> thankyou
>>> coming up - with a more accurate description of the awesome work they did,
>>> that I now made up from the top of my head. But in the mean time, I'd like
>>> to do it myself: Thank you Jan-Bart and Stu for all the time, energy and
>>> effort that you poured into our movement. I know that not all of us
>>> appreciate this as much as we perhaps should, and sometimes you may even
>>> have perceived us as hostile. I do sincerely hope that you had fun with us
>>> though, and I'm confident that you made a big dent in our impossible
>>> mission of sharing the sum of all knowledge with everyone.
>>>
>>> I hope to meet you again soon, at least in Italy at Wikimania, and I hope
>>> to see you around in our movement in many different ways.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Lodewijk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

phoebe ayers-3
On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 2:12 AM, Michael Snow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> With their long and diligent service on the board, Jan-Bart and Stu are two
> of the best examples of something we should appreciate more in general -
> volunteers and movement participants who were not first and foremost active
> in wiki editing. I'm thankful they managed to break through the barriers we
> sometimes create for "outsiders", so that we could in turn benefit from
> their extraordinary talents.
>
> In Jan-Bart's case, I believe his optimism and gift for making everyone feel
> welcome made it much easier for us to welcome him in return. And if you ever
> had a discussion with Stu, I think for many of us his desire to explore and
> understand movement metrics of all kinds (not just financial ones) helped
> identify him as a kindred spirit.
>
> By focusing on their personalities, I know that I'll fail to do justice to
> the actual work they did on the board. I would likely fail anyway, given how
> much of it I've seen and the long list I'd need to make. But to be honest, I
> think who they are is as important as what they have done. Thank you, Stu
> and Jan-Bart, for being Wikimedians.
>
> --Michael Snow

+1. I always laughed -- and cringed a little -- whenever someone
referred to JB and Stu as "appointed outsiders" -- the two of them are
some of the most dedicated Wikimedians I have ever known.

I met Jan-Bart at Wikimania 2005 and Stu at Wikimania 2007, and then
later served on the board with both of you for four years. Over the
years we've discussed, argued, solved the world's problems, created
the world's problems, come to consensus, influenced each other, and
gotten through some tough times and some joyous times. I have also
stayed up with you more late nights in hotel lobbies than I can count,
debating the state of things, and have learned a tremendous amount
from you both. It is hard to imagine Wikimedia without either of you;
thankfully, once a Wikimedian always a Wikimedian.

As someone who has managed to leave the board twice now, I am happy to
offer advice on how to manage the withdrawal ;) But more than that, I
hope to see you at future events and online, and hope you enjoy your
newly cleared calendars.

with stroopwafels,
Phoebe

<at> gmail.com *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

Katy Love
I've worked with Jan-Bart for three years,  and I too want to thank him for
his many years of service to the movement and the board, as well as to the
annual plan grant program and to the Funds Dissemination Committee!

As one of the Board FDC representatives to the FDC for several years,
Jan-Bart, you provided leadership and support to us as we developed,
refined and evaluated the program. As others have said, it's clear how much
this movement means to you, and you've been a significant presence and
supporter to many.

Thank you for all you've given!
Katy