[Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

metasj
Goodness, yes.  Lodewijk, what a fitting thread.

We spend more time reflecting on mistakes made, but JB and Stu were often
responsible for the things that were done well, and without fanfare.  They
could always be relied upon to consider the impact of decisions on the
movement and society, and not just on [the current version of] the
Foundation.

Thank you both for the dedication and creativity you put into your work -
going above and beyond the requirements of being a trustee. Future trustees
of all stripes have some mighty large shoes to fill.

Sam
On Jan 8, 2016 2:29 PM, "Katy Love" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Anthere
> >
> >  Le 06/01/16 08:10, Lodewijk a écrit :
> >
> > While we have long discussions on this list about board composition, we
> >> seem to almost ignore the fact that two long time veterans are leaving
> the
> >> Wikimedia Foundation board, as scheduled. Jan-Bart de Vreede and Stu
> West
> >> have been around longer than many regular editors nowadays, and I think
> >> there are not many people who can recall the days that the board didn't
> >> have them on it. I have never had the pleasure to serve on the board
> with
> >> them, but a little thank-you from our community side, would seem in
> place.
> >>
> >> Stu joined the board already in 2008 (filling Michael Davis' seat), and
> >> has
> >> been a solid power on the board's audit responsibilities (I believe he
> >> chaired the audit committee for quite a while) and was a force behind
> the
> >> accountability of movement affiliates. While we often strongly disagreed
> >> on
> >> affiliate issues, I appreciate the fact that he always remained
> >> constructive and wanted to think about solutions rather than problems.
> He
> >> served both as treasurer and vice chair.
> >>
> >> Jan-Bart was on the board even longer, since early 2007, and I recall
> >> already working with him through Kennisnet (a Dutch foundation for
> >> education and IT) before that. Jan-Bart is one of those rare people who
> >> went to ALL wikimania conferences, and can be easily recognised there
> with
> >> his big smile. I can't remember a theme Jan-Bart didn't work on in the
> >> past
> >> years (Affiliates, HR, searching a new Executive Director) and he served
> >> the board in many positions, including as chair.
> >>
> >> I'm sure that the WMF communications staff and/or board has a nice
> >> thankyou
> >> coming up - with a more accurate description of the awesome work they
> did,
> >> that I now made up from the top of my head. But in the mean time, I'd
> like
> >> to do it myself: Thank you Jan-Bart and Stu for all the time, energy and
> >> effort that you poured into our movement. I know that not all of us
> >> appreciate this as much as we perhaps should, and sometimes you may even
> >> have perceived us as hostile. I do sincerely hope that you had fun with
> us
> >> though, and I'm confident that you made a big dent in our impossible
> >> mission of sharing the sum of all knowledge with everyone.
> >>
> >> I hope to meet you again soon, at least in Italy at Wikimania, and I
> hope
> >> to see you around in our movement in many different ways.
> >>
> >> Best,
> >>
> >> Lodewijk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

Nurunnaby Hasive-3
All the best and Thanks you Jan-Bart de Vreede and Stu West.

On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 5:22 AM, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Goodness, yes.  Lodewijk, what a fitting thread.
>
> We spend more time reflecting on mistakes made, but JB and Stu were often
> responsible for the things that were done well, and without fanfare.  They
> could always be relied upon to consider the impact of decisions on the
> movement and society, and not just on [the current version of] the
> Foundation.
>
> Thank you both for the dedication and creativity you put into your work -
> going above and beyond the requirements of being a trustee. Future trustees
> of all stripes have some mighty large shoes to fill.
>
> Sam
> On Jan 8, 2016 2:29 PM, "Katy Love" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I've worked with Jan-Bart for three years,  and I too want to thank him
> for
> > his many years of service to the movement and the board, as well as to
> the
> > annual plan grant program and to the Funds Dissemination Committee!
> >
> > As one of the Board FDC representatives to the FDC for several years,
> > Jan-Bart, you provided leadership and support to us as we developed,
> > refined and evaluated the program. As others have said, it's clear how
> much
> > this movement means to you, and you've been a significant presence and
> > supporter to many.
> >
> > Thank you for all you've given!
> > Katy
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 4:12 PM, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Thank you for this message Lodewijk !
> > >
> > > I would like to join the messages already posted to thank both Stu and
> > > Jan-Bart. I was on the board when we ask them to join us and I have no
> > > memory of ever regretting that decision ;)
> > >
> > > I wish you both the best !
> > > JB, can we expect to see you in Italy next summer ? I sure hope so...
> > >
> > > Anthere
> > >
> > >  Le 06/01/16 08:10, Lodewijk a écrit :
> > >
> > > While we have long discussions on this list about board composition, we
> > the
> > West
> think
> didn't
> > with
> > place.

> and
> > the
> disagreed
> > He

> who
> > with
> served

> > did,
> > like
> and
> even
> with
> > us

> > hope

*Nurunnaby Chowdhury (Hasive) **:: **নুরুন্নবী চৌধুরী (হাছিব)*
User: Hasive
​, Administrator

​, Bengali Wikipedia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

Subhashish Panigrahi-4
Jan-Bart and Stu, thank you so much for your great contribution to the
movement!

Best,
Subha

On 1/9/2016 1:20 PM, Nurunnaby Chowdhury (Hasive) wrote:

> All the best and Thanks you Jan-Bart de Vreede and Stu West.
>
> On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 5:22 AM, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Goodness, yes.  Lodewijk, what a fitting thread.
>>
>> We spend more time reflecting on mistakes made, but JB and Stu were often
>> responsible for the things that were done well, and without fanfare.  They
>> could always be relied upon to consider the impact of decisions on the
>> movement and society, and not just on [the current version of] the
>> Foundation.
>>
>> Thank you both for the dedication and creativity you put into your work -
>> going above and beyond the requirements of being a trustee. Future trustees
>> of all stripes have some mighty large shoes to fill.
>>
>> Sam
>> On Jan 8, 2016 2:29 PM, "Katy Love" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I've worked with Jan-Bart for three years,  and I too want to thank him
>> for
>>> his many years of service to the movement and the board, as well as to
>> the
>>> annual plan grant program and to the Funds Dissemination Committee!
>>>
>>> As one of the Board FDC representatives to the FDC for several years,
>>> Jan-Bart, you provided leadership and support to us as we developed,
>>> refined and evaluated the program. As others have said, it's clear how
>> much
>>> this movement means to you, and you've been a significant presence and
>>> supporter to many.
>>>
>>> Thank you for all you've given!
>>> Katy

>>> the
>>> West
>> think
>> didn't
>>> with
>>> place.
>> and
>>> the
>> disagreed
>>> He

>> who
>>> with
>> served

>>> did,
>>> like
>> and
>> even
>> with
>>> us

>>> hope

Best!
Subhashish Panigrahi
Programme Officer, Access To Knowledge
Centre for Internet and Society
@subhapa / https://cis-india.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thank you, Jan-Bart and Stu

Domas Mituzas
End of an era. It was a pleasure to work with JB and Stu. I'd like to echo
the amusement about them being "outsiders".
At the time when Stu was appointed, he was an editor and has been on the
foundation-l pulse for extended amount of time and was the only board
member interested in the technology/operational aspect of running whatever
we were running at the time.
Jan-Bart on the other hand bought his way in with the Kennisnet server
donation, which served as a base for our European domination. Well played
sir. :-)

Thanks for your service, you both. I doubt this Google-puppet board will
match your contributions any time soon.

Greetings from the dark side,
Domas