[Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
71 messages Options
1234
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

Amir E. Aharoni
Hi,

Is there any plan to allow using the "Thanks" feature to thank anonymous
Wikimedia users?

A Hebrew Wikipedia user asked me about this, saying that it may be even
more useful to thank anons than logged-in users.

--
Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

Yaroslav M. Blanter
On 08.01.2014 15:22, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any plan to allow using the "Thanks" feature to thank
> anonymous
> Wikimedia users?
>
> A Hebrew Wikipedia user asked me about this, saying that it may be
> even
> more useful to thank anons than logged-in users.
>

How would they know someone thanked them?

Cheers
Yaroslav

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

Amir E. Aharoni
Something like the "new message" orange bar :)

I guess that designers and Growth people may know an answer, but all
thoughts are welcome.


--
Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬


2014/1/8 Yaroslav M. Blanter <[hidden email]>

> On 08.01.2014 15:22, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there any plan to allow using the "Thanks" feature to thank anonymous
>> Wikimedia users?
>>
>> A Hebrew Wikipedia user asked me about this, saying that it may be even
>> more useful to thank anons than logged-in users.
>>
>>
> How would they know someone thanked them?
>
> Cheers
> Yaroslav
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

Nathan Awrich
We should thank them for editing using a major banner, a la the fundraiser.
I don't know why we do huge fundraising drives but seem to neglect editing
drives, even though editing is really the core way for people to donate to
Wikimedia.
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

Federico Leva (Nemo)
In reply to this post by Amir E. Aharoni
Amir E. Aharoni, 08/01/2014 15:32:
> Something like the "new message" orange bar :)

Yeah, orange bar be blessed.

>
> I guess that designers and Growth people may know an answer, but all
> thoughts are welcome.

As long as the orange bar works (it doesn't on mobile, beware), you can
just use a variant of the many {{thanks}} templates and post them on
their talk pages with some JavaScript mimicking the "thanks" button.

Nemo

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

Bjoern Hoehrmann
In reply to this post by Nathan Awrich
* Nathan wrote:
>We should thank them for editing using a major banner, a la the fundraiser.
>I don't know why we do huge fundraising drives but seem to neglect editing
>drives, even though editing is really the core way for people to donate to
>Wikimedia.

That would make many editors very annoyed and angry and drive them away.
--
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[hidden email] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/ 

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

Nathan Awrich
On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 10:10 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Nathan wrote:
> >We should thank them for editing using a major banner, a la the
> fundraiser.
> >I don't know why we do huge fundraising drives but seem to neglect editing
> >drives, even though editing is really the core way for people to donate to
> >Wikimedia.
>
> That would make many editors very annoyed and angry and drive them away.


I very seriously doubt that is the case, and if they object to efforts to
publicly attract new editors to Wikimedia projects... Banners irritate
people, but anyone with a sincere interest in contributing to Wikimedia
should be able to accept the necessity of maintaining both the financial
and human resources of the movement.
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

metasj
On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 10:10 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > * Nathan wrote:
> > >We should thank them for editing using a major banner, a la the
> > fundraiser.
> >
> > That would make many editors very annoyed and angry and drive them away.
>
> I very seriously doubt that is the case.... Banners irritate
> people, but anyone with a sincere interest in contributing to Wikimedia
> should be able to accept the necessity of maintaining both the financial
> and human resources of the movement.
>

This is just what I was going to say.  That would be charming; we could
ensure that each IP only sees it once per year.  SJ
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

Andrea Zanni-2
Agreed.
It's nice to feel the community behind Wikipedia (well, when it doesn't
bite you)
and the feeling that somebody noticed you fixed a typo is even nicer.

Aubrey


On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 6:20 PM, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 10:10 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > * Nathan wrote:
> > > >We should thank them for editing using a major banner, a la the
> > > fundraiser.
> > >
> > > That would make many editors very annoyed and angry and drive them
> away.
> >
> > I very seriously doubt that is the case.... Banners irritate
> > people, but anyone with a sincere interest in contributing to Wikimedia
> > should be able to accept the necessity of maintaining both the financial
> > and human resources of the movement.
> >
>
> This is just what I was going to say.  That would be charming; we could
> ensure that each IP only sees it once per year.  SJ
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

Ryan Kaldari-2
In reply to this post by Amir E. Aharoni
These are two reason we don't have Thanks for anonymous editors:
1. Anonymous editors don't get notifications
2. Multiple editors often share the same IP address
Problem #2 isn't as prominent as it use to be, but there are still many
large companies and schools that connect to the internet through a single
IP. I imagine that once IPv6 is widely in use, this problem will go away
and we'll be able to turn on all notifications (including Thanks) for
anonymous editors.

Ryan Kaldari
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

Isarra Yos
On 10/01/14 19:21, Ryan Kaldari wrote:

> These are two reason we don't have Thanks for anonymous editors:
> 1. Anonymous editors don't get notifications
> 2. Multiple editors often share the same IP address
> Problem #2 isn't as prominent as it use to be, but there are still many
> large companies and schools that connect to the internet through a single
> IP. I imagine that once IPv6 is widely in use, this problem will go away
> and we'll be able to turn on all notifications (including Thanks) for
> anonymous editors.
>
> Ryan Kaldari
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>

1. Why not?
2. A time limit might help resolve that with ipv4 addresses.
Alternately, thanks could potentially be nice even if they didn't make
the edit themselves, since it's the general feeling and such, so just
letting that through for ipv4 addresses might be an option.

Mind I'm mostly just echoing something someone else said on IRC just
now, but they seem like interesting points to me.

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

Oliver Keyes-4
For 1: because it'd be impossible to accurately associate notifications
with the person, I assume.


On 10 January 2014 12:11, Isarra Yos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/01/14 19:21, Ryan Kaldari wrote:
>
>> These are two reason we don't have Thanks for anonymous editors:
>> 1. Anonymous editors don't get notifications
>> 2. Multiple editors often share the same IP address
>> Problem #2 isn't as prominent as it use to be, but there are still many
>> large companies and schools that connect to the internet through a single
>> IP. I imagine that once IPv6 is widely in use, this problem will go away
>> and we'll be able to turn on all notifications (including Thanks) for
>> anonymous editors.
>>
>> Ryan Kaldari
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimedia-l mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
>> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>>
>
> 1. Why not?
> 2. A time limit might help resolve that with ipv4 addresses. Alternately,
> thanks could potentially be nice even if they didn't make the edit
> themselves, since it's the general feeling and such, so just letting that
> through for ipv4 addresses might be an option.
>
> Mind I'm mostly just echoing something someone else said on IRC just now,
> but they seem like interesting points to me.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>



--
Oliver Keyes
Product Analyst
Wikimedia Foundation
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

Jasper Deng
"I imagine that once IPv6 is widely in use, this problem will go away
and we'll be able to turn on all notifications (including Thanks) for
anonymous editors."

Not completely correct when it comes to public computers and mobile IPs.


On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 12:28 PM, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For 1: because it'd be impossible to accurately associate notifications
> with the person, I assume.
>
>
> On 10 January 2014 12:11, Isarra Yos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 10/01/14 19:21, Ryan Kaldari wrote:
> >
> >> These are two reason we don't have Thanks for anonymous editors:
> >> 1. Anonymous editors don't get notifications
> >> 2. Multiple editors often share the same IP address
> >> Problem #2 isn't as prominent as it use to be, but there are still many
> >> large companies and schools that connect to the internet through a
> single
> >> IP. I imagine that once IPv6 is widely in use, this problem will go away
> >> and we'll be able to turn on all notifications (including Thanks) for
> >> anonymous editors.
> >>
> >> Ryan Kaldari
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> >> [hidden email]
> >> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> >> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
> >>
> >
> > 1. Why not?
> > 2. A time limit might help resolve that with ipv4 addresses. Alternately,
> > thanks could potentially be nice even if they didn't make the edit
> > themselves, since it's the general feeling and such, so just letting that
> > through for ipv4 addresses might be an option.
> >
> > Mind I'm mostly just echoing something someone else said on IRC just now,
> > but they seem like interesting points to me.
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> > <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Oliver Keyes
> Product Analyst
> Wikimedia Foundation
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

MF-Warburg-2
In reply to this post by Oliver Keyes-4
On that occasion, do IPs still receive information about messages on their
talk page? (Since the orange bar was abolished and they now go through echo
notifications all well)
Am 10.01.2014 21:29 schrieb "Oliver Keyes" <[hidden email]>:

> For 1: because it'd be impossible to accurately associate notifications
> with the person, I assume.
>
>
> On 10 January 2014 12:11, Isarra Yos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 10/01/14 19:21, Ryan Kaldari wrote:
> >
> >> These are two reason we don't have Thanks for anonymous editors:
> >> 1. Anonymous editors don't get notifications
> >> 2. Multiple editors often share the same IP address
> >> Problem #2 isn't as prominent as it use to be, but there are still many
> >> large companies and schools that connect to the internet through a
> single
> >> IP. I imagine that once IPv6 is widely in use, this problem will go away
> >> and we'll be able to turn on all notifications (including Thanks) for
> >> anonymous editors.
> >>
> >> Ryan Kaldari
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> >> [hidden email]
> >> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> >> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
> >>
> >
> > 1. Why not?
> > 2. A time limit might help resolve that with ipv4 addresses. Alternately,
> > thanks could potentially be nice even if they didn't make the edit
> > themselves, since it's the general feeling and such, so just letting that
> > through for ipv4 addresses might be an option.
> >
> > Mind I'm mostly just echoing something someone else said on IRC just now,
> > but they seem like interesting points to me.
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> > <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Oliver Keyes
> Product Analyst
> Wikimedia Foundation
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

Sam Klein
In reply to this post by Ryan Kaldari-2
I would very much enjoy notifications as an IP & for IPs.

We can make a few carve-outs:
 - major hubs (schools, businesses, wifi providers with thousands of users)
can be excluded.

The message/framing to IPs would be slightly different than that for
logged-in users: since we can't be sure it's the same person.  Nevertheless
we could make it fun for them to see the wall of comments left for the last
user of that IP, and any global notifications for it.

The same message could highlight that they are logged out, in case they
didn't realize (right now it's not easy to notice when you get logged out
in the middle of a session, unless you've set a custom skin / color in your
prefs).

SJ


On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 2:21 PM, Ryan Kaldari <[hidden email]>wrote:

> These are two reason we don't have Thanks for anonymous editors:
> 1. Anonymous editors don't get notifications
> 2. Multiple editors often share the same IP address
> Problem #2 isn't as prominent as it use to be, but there are still many
> large companies and schools that connect to the internet through a single
> IP. I imagine that once IPv6 is widely in use, this problem will go away
> and we'll be able to turn on all notifications (including Thanks) for
> anonymous editors.
>
> Ryan Kaldari
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>



--
Samuel Klein          @metasj          w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

Nathan Awrich
I think we should just thank everyone, on at least a yearly basis, with a
"thank you" drive similar to what we do for fundraising. It doesn't need to
be for a specific edit or tied to any one IP. After the fundraiser hits the
goal we usually run it a little with a thank you banner, and if we did that
separately and used it to encourage participation by our readers, all the
projects should benefit.
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

David Gerard-2
In reply to this post by Oliver Keyes-4
On 10 January 2014 20:28, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For 1: because it'd be impossible to accurately associate notifications
> with the person, I assume.



Apparently that's the reason.

However, being able to thank IP contributors for their contribution
would be FANTASTIC. Saying "thank you" to casual drive-by contributors
would give them quite a buzz, I'd think.

Perhaps a timeout? Say, you can thank an IP for their edit within 1
hour? We can experiment and see what time gives the best amount of
thanks versus mistakes.


- d.

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

Kevin Rutherford
The downside of this is when we inevitably start thanking vandals by accident.

Kevin Rutherford

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 10, 2014, at 4:03 PM, "David Gerard" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 10 January 2014 20:28, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> For 1: because it'd be impossible to accurately associate notifications
>> with the person, I assume.
>
>
>
> Apparently that's the reason.
>
> However, being able to thank IP contributors for their contribution
> would be FANTASTIC. Saying "thank you" to casual drive-by contributors
> would give them quite a buzz, I'd think.
>
> Perhaps a timeout? Say, you can thank an IP for their edit within 1
> hour? We can experiment and see what time gives the best amount of
> thanks versus mistakes.
>
>
> - d.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

David Gerard-2
Yeah. It shouldn't be like welcome messages, it should be specifically
for thanking for good edits.

But this is a cultural issue, not a software issue.

On 10 January 2014 21:30, Kevin Rutherford <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The downside of this is when we inevitably start thanking vandals by accident.
>
> Kevin Rutherford
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jan 10, 2014, at 4:03 PM, "David Gerard" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On 10 January 2014 20:28, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> For 1: because it'd be impossible to accurately associate notifications
>>> with the person, I assume.
>>
>>
>>
>> Apparently that's the reason.
>>
>> However, being able to thank IP contributors for their contribution
>> would be FANTASTIC. Saying "thank you" to casual drive-by contributors
>> would give them quite a buzz, I'd think.
>>
>> Perhaps a timeout? Say, you can thank an IP for their edit within 1
>> hour? We can experiment and see what time gives the best amount of
>> thanks versus mistakes.
>>
>>
>> - d.
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimedia-l mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

Federico Leva (Nemo)
In reply to this post by David Gerard-2
David Gerard, 10/01/2014 22:02:
> However, being able to thank IP contributors for their contribution
> would be FANTASTIC. Saying "thank you" to casual drive-by contributors
> would give them quite a buzz, I'd think.

You already can, even on the unwelcoming ;) en.wiki and de.wiki: talk
pages have not (yet) been killed.
I think about 30-50k persons have been thanked with the simple
{{grazie}} template on it.wiki across the years.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cross-project_comparisons#Thanks

> Perhaps a timeout? Say, you can thank an IP for their edit within 1
> hour? We can experiment and see what time gives the best amount of
> thanks versus mistakes.

On it.wiki, anonymous talk pages are purged monthly (with some conditions).

Nemo

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
1234