[Wikimedia-l] The Old Wikipedia logo is still widely used - what can we do?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Wikimedia-l] The Old Wikipedia logo is still widely used - what can we do?

Amir E. Aharoni
Hallo.

The old version of the "puzzle globe" Wikipedia logo was retired in 2010.
It had wrongly painted letters in several languages as well as some
graphical imperfections. The current logo has correct letters and improved
vector graphics quality.

Despite the replacement having taken place almost four years ago, I still
see the old logo in news stories about Wikipedia in many languages every
few days. I find it very frustrating.

One likely reason for this is that Google images search shows mostly images
of the old logo when queried for "wikipedia logo".

Can we do anything about it? My SEO skills are about non-existent. A
Facebook friend suggested changing the title of the Commons file
File:Wikipedia-logo.png to File:Wikipedia-logo-v1.png and
File:Wikipedia-logo-v2.svg to File:Wikipedia_logo.svg. This sounds
reasonable, though it may have considerable technical implications.

Is there anything else we can do?

--
Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The Old Wikipedia logo is still widely used - what can we do?

K. Peachey-2
Most news agencies don't just go to the web for their images due to
copyright reasons.

They will have a media collection system that they have the logo stored in.

So the best response would be for the Media Relations/Comms teams to
actually contact them and request they use the updated logo.


On 21 December 2013 07:02, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hallo.
>
> The old version of the "puzzle globe" Wikipedia logo was retired in 2010.
> It had wrongly painted letters in several languages as well as some
> graphical imperfections. The current logo has correct letters and improved
> vector graphics quality.
>
> Despite the replacement having taken place almost four years ago, I still
> see the old logo in news stories about Wikipedia in many languages every
> few days. I find it very frustrating.
>
> One likely reason for this is that Google images search shows mostly images
> of the old logo when queried for "wikipedia logo".
>
> Can we do anything about it? My SEO skills are about non-existent. A
> Facebook friend suggested changing the title of the Commons file
> File:Wikipedia-logo.png to File:Wikipedia-logo-v1.png and
> File:Wikipedia-logo-v2.svg to File:Wikipedia_logo.svg. This sounds
> reasonable, though it may have considerable technical implications.
>
> Is there anything else we can do?
>
> --
> Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> ‪“We're living in pieces,
> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The Old Wikipedia logo is still widely used - what can we do?

Asaf Bartov-2
On Dec 20, 2013 1:58 PM, "K. Peachey" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Most news agencies don't just go to the web for their images due to
> copyright reasons.
>
> They will have a media collection system that they have the logo stored
in.

That is no doubt true for major media corporations, but a lot of the uses
of the old logo are by born-digital outfits, where I fully expect the
procedure to often be "Google X plus logo and grab the first decent hit".

So there may be much value in the (admittedly unorthodox) rename proposal
relayed by Amir.  To my mind, the fact it is a logo justifies it.

Also, thought experiment: suppose a certain laborer-abusing
gadget-producing company, say "Elppa", changed its logo last year; suppose
it reached out to the community asking to replace our hosted version of
their old logo with the new one, because the media keeps getting it wrong.
Would we not accommodate them?

   A.
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The Old Wikipedia logo is still widely used - what can we do?

Federico Leva (Nemo)
In reply to this post by Amir E. Aharoni
Well, one thing we did was actually retiring the old logo, just few
months ago. :)
Odder provided no less than 108 Wikipedias with a v2 logo.
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2013-May/031550.html

Nemo

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The Old Wikipedia logo is still widely used - what can we do?

Svip
In reply to this post by Amir E. Aharoni
On 20 December 2013 22:02, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can we do anything about it? My SEO skills are about non-existent. A
> Facebook friend suggested changing the title of the Commons file
> File:Wikipedia-logo.png to File:Wikipedia-logo-v1.png and
> File:Wikipedia-logo-v2.svg to File:Wikipedia_logo.svg. This sounds
> reasonable, though it may have considerable technical implications.

But File:Wikipedia-logo.png now uses the new version of the logo, so
what would that help?

Looking at the Google results, the first two are from Wikipedia (and
these are the old logo), but from the articles [[Wikipedia:Wikipedia
logos]] and [[Logo of Wikipedia]].  Both of which still includes the
old logo.

I think the article(s) in question might be key to this, and not what
the file names are.

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The Old Wikipedia logo is still widely used - what can we do?

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Svip, 20/12/2013 23:27:
> Looking at the Google results, the first two are from Wikipedia (and
> these are the old logo), but from the articles [[Wikipedia:Wikipedia
> logos]] and [[Logo of Wikipedia]].  Both of which still includes the
> old logo.
>
> I think the article(s) in question might be key to this, and not what
> the file names are.

Does unlinking them reduce their pagerank?
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Logo_of_Wikipedia&diff=587018748&oldid=586942588

Nemo

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The Old Wikipedia logo is still widely used - what can we do?

Svip
On 20 December 2013 23:30, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Svip, 20/12/2013 23:27:
>
>> Looking at the Google results, the first two are from Wikipedia (and
>> these are the old logo), but from the articles [[Wikipedia:Wikipedia
>> logos]] and [[Logo of Wikipedia]].  Both of which still includes the
>> old logo.
>>
>> I think the article(s) in question might be key to this, and not what
>> the file names are.
>
> Does unlinking them reduce their pagerank?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Logo_of_Wikipedia&diff=587018748&oldid=586942588

I don't know.  On a regular web page, it wouldn't, because I think
Google Images is managed differently, it is not looking for images
that are link, but just for images in the right context.  However, I
am sure Google has some special mechanic for dealing with MediaWiki
websites, so it can 'index' better.

But my ultimate prediction is that it won't make a difference.  I
could be wrong, though.

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The Old Wikipedia logo is still widely used - what can we do?

Andy Mabbett-2
In reply to this post by Federico Leva (Nemo)
On 20 December 2013 22:30, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Looking at the Google results, the first two are from Wikipedia (and
>> these are the old logo), but from the articles [[Wikipedia:Wikipedia
>> logos]] and [[Logo of Wikipedia]].  Both of which still includes the
>> old logo.
>>
>> I think the article(s) in question might be key to this, and not what
>> the file names are.
>
>
> Does unlinking them reduce their pagerank?

I would be against degrading the usefulness of our articles in an
attempt to influence Google's behaviour.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The Old Wikipedia logo is still widely used - what can we do?

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada
In reply to this post by Amir E. Aharoni
Put a big red notice in the old images page descriptions saying that the
logo is deprecated and that the new logo is available in [link to the new
version]. So when people click on them from Google, they will read it.


2013/12/20 Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]>

> Hallo.
>
> The old version of the "puzzle globe" Wikipedia logo was retired in 2010.
> It had wrongly painted letters in several languages as well as some
> graphical imperfections. The current logo has correct letters and improved
> vector graphics quality.
>
> Despite the replacement having taken place almost four years ago, I still
> see the old logo in news stories about Wikipedia in many languages every
> few days. I find it very frustrating.
>
> One likely reason for this is that Google images search shows mostly images
> of the old logo when queried for "wikipedia logo".
>
> Can we do anything about it? My SEO skills are about non-existent. A
> Facebook friend suggested changing the title of the Commons file
> File:Wikipedia-logo.png to File:Wikipedia-logo-v1.png and
> File:Wikipedia-logo-v2.svg to File:Wikipedia_logo.svg. This sounds
> reasonable, though it may have considerable technical implications.
>
> Is there anything else we can do?
>
> --
> Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> ‪“We're living in pieces,
> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>