[Wikimedia-l] The ProWikimedia award and thanking the volunteers

[Wikimedia-l] The ProWikimedia award and thanking the volunteers

Natalia Szafran-Kozakowska
Dear all
As you all know in the Wikmedia movement nothing really inspiring and
creative can be done without the volunteers. Their ideas, time and energy
are priceless. That is why Wikimedia Poland has created an award to say
"thank you" to great people that inspire and coordinate our projects
(expeditions, workshops, editathons, photo contests etc.) and for the
volunteer of the year.
We invited four people from the outside of the Wikimedia movement - people
representing cultural institutions NGO's and the media - to form a jury
with a task to choose the projects and the volunteer that should be
rewarded. The jury also gave us precious information about how people who
are not Wikimedians see our projects and which they perceive as the most
interesting and inspiring.

The ProWikimedia 2015 award will be given in 4 categories:
1. Free content ambassador - in recognition of a project which had major
impact on promoting openness, knowledge of free licenses, and free culture
outside Wikimedia communities or which resulted in resources that were of
great use to projects, institutions and publications outside of the
WIkimedia movement
2. Efficient content acquisition - in recognition of a project which
exhibited a high ratio of acquired content quality and quantity in the
context of financial outlays
3. Innovation / pioneering character in acquiring free content - in
recognition of a project which showed creativity, innovative approach and
original viewpoint in acquiring free contents for the WIkimedia projects
4. The volunteer of the year

The award ceremony will take place this Saturday in the library of the
European Solidarity Center - an institution with a mission of
maintaining the heritage and message of the Solidarity movement and sharing
the achievements of the peaceful struggle for freedom, justice, democracy
and human rights. And it is a great place to recognize the great effort of
Wikimedia volunteers who change the world by sharing knowledge.

The ProWikimedia project has already (thanks to the outside jury) thought
us a lot about our actions and initiatives and given us precious (and
sometimes surprising) insight. But it's main purpose is to keep our
volunteers inspired, encourage them to start new initiatives and show them
how great job they are doing. I am really excited about this award as I
truly believe that showing gratitude to our volunteers is something really
important. And we need to find new ways to do it.

Natalia Szafran-Kozakowska
[[user:Magalia]]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The ProWikimedia award and thanking the volunteers

Tito Dutta
Thanks for sharing this know. :)
Is there any page on Meta on it?
Thanks
User:Titodutta
En WP

On 12 June 2015 at 02:13, Natalia Szafran-Kozakowska <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all
> As you all know in the Wikmedia movement nothing really inspiring and
> creative can be done without the volunteers. Their ideas, time and energy
> are priceless. That is why Wikimedia Poland has created an award to say
> "thank you" to great people that inspire and coordinate our projects
> (expeditions, workshops, editathons, photo contests etc.) and for the
> volunteer of the year.
> We invited four people from the outside of the Wikimedia movement - people
> representing cultural institutions NGO's and the media - to form a jury
> with a task to choose the projects and the volunteer that should be
> rewarded. The jury also gave us precious information about how people who
> are not Wikimedians see our projects and which they perceive as the most
> interesting and inspiring.
>
> The ProWikimedia 2015 award will be given in 4 categories:
> 1. Free content ambassador - in recognition of a project which had major
> impact on promoting openness, knowledge of free licenses, and free culture
> outside Wikimedia communities or which resulted in resources that were of
> great use to projects, institutions and publications outside of the
> WIkimedia movement
> 2. Efficient content acquisition - in recognition of a project which
> exhibited a high ratio of acquired content quality and quantity in the
> context of financial outlays
> 3. Innovation / pioneering character in acquiring free content - in
> recognition of a project which showed creativity, innovative approach and
> original viewpoint in acquiring free contents for the WIkimedia projects
> 4. The volunteer of the year
>
> The award ceremony will take place this Saturday in the library of the
> European Solidarity Center - an institution with a mission of
> maintaining the heritage and message of the Solidarity movement and sharing
> the achievements of the peaceful struggle for freedom, justice, democracy
> and human rights. And it is a great place to recognize the great effort of
> Wikimedia volunteers who change the world by sharing knowledge.
>
> The ProWikimedia project has already (thanks to the outside jury) thought
> us a lot about our actions and initiatives and given us precious (and
> sometimes surprising) insight. But it's main purpose is to keep our
> volunteers inspired, encourage them to start new initiatives and show them
> how great job they are doing. I am really excited about this award as I
> truly believe that showing gratitude to our volunteers is something really
> important. And we need to find new ways to do it.
>

> Natalia Szafran-Kozakowska
> [[user:Magalia]]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The ProWikimedia award and thanking the volunteers

Natalia Szafran-Kozakowska
Right now we only have a page in Polish on our chapter wiki (
https://pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/ProWikimedia_2015) and a post on our blog
also in Polish (http://blog.wikimedia.pl/2015/05/1456/). But we of course
can create a page in English perhaps on Meta if you wish to know more :)

> [...]

> > and human rights. And it is a great place to recognize the great effort
> of
> > Wikimedia volunteers who change the world by sharing knowledge.
> >
> > The ProWikimedia project has already (thanks to the outside jury) thought
> > us a lot about our actions and initiatives and given us precious (and
> > sometimes surprising) insight. But it's main purpose is to keep our
> > volunteers inspired, encourage them to start new initiatives and show
> them
> > how great job they are doing. I am really excited about this award as I
> > truly believe that showing gratitude to our volunteers is something
> really
> > important. And we need to find new ways to do it.
> >

> > Natalia Szafran-Kozakowska
> > [[user:Magalia]]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The ProWikimedia award and thanking the volunteers

Lodewijk
Sounds great, thanks for sharing!

Just to ask for the obvious: I'm assuming this is focused on the polish
language projects/Poland, right?

Best,
Lodewijk

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 11:13 PM, Natalia Szafran-Kozakowska <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > of
> > > Wikimedia volunteers who change the world by sharing knowledge.
> > >
> > > The ProWikimedia project has already (thanks to the outside jury)
> thought
> > > us a lot about our actions and initiatives and given us precious (and
> > > sometimes surprising) insight. But it's main purpose is to keep our
> > > volunteers inspired, encourage them to start new initiatives and show
> > them
> > > how great job they are doing. I am really excited about this award as I
> > > truly believe that showing gratitude to our volunteers is something
> > really
> > > important. And we need to find new ways to do it.
> > >

> > > Natalia Szafran-Kozakowska
> > > [[user:Magalia]]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The ProWikimedia award and thanking the volunteers

Yes, only Polish projects. And there is one more thing worth mentioning -
this year the jury picked from all Wikimedia Poland actions, initiatives
and projects from the last 4 years. Next year they will only pick from
projects organized in 2015. We decided to include older projects because we
really felt that there were some nice ideas in the past and we wanted them
to have a chance of winning.

Natalia Szafran-Kozakowska

> Sounds great, thanks for sharing!
>
> Just to ask for the obvious: I'm assuming this is focused on the polish
> language projects/Poland, right?
>
> Best,
> Lodewijk
>
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 11:13 PM, Natalia Szafran-Kozakowska <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Right now we only have a page in Polish on our chapter wiki (
> > https://pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/ProWikimedia_2015) and a post on our blog
> > also in Polish (http://blog.wikimedia.pl/2015/05/1456/). But we of
> course
> > can create a page in English perhaps on Meta if you wish to know more :)
> >
> > Natalia Szafran-Kozakowska

> > > Thanks for sharing this know. :)
> > > Is there any page on Meta on it?
> > > Thanks
> > > User:Titodutta
> > > En WP

> > energy
> say
> > > people
> jury
> > who
> > most

> > major
> > > culture
> were
> > of
> the
> > and
> > projects

> the
> > > sharing
> > democracy
> effort
> > > of

> > thought
> > > them
> as I
> > > really

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The ProWikimedia award and thanking the volunteers

Tomasz Ganicz
To be precise: projects supported financially and/or organizationally by
Wikimedia Polska. If we had international one it could have been be also
included :-)

[hidden email]>:

> Yes, only Polish projects. And there is one more thing worth mentioning -
> this year the jury picked from all Wikimedia Poland actions, initiatives
> and projects from the last 4 years. Next year they will only pick from
> projects organized in 2015. We decided to include older projects because we
> really felt that there were some nice ideas in the past and we wanted them
> to have a chance of winning.
>

> Natalia Szafran-Kozakowska

> > Sounds great, thanks for sharing!
> >
> > Just to ask for the obvious: I'm assuming this is focused on the polish
> > language projects/Poland, right?
> >
> > Best,
> > Lodewijk
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 11:13 PM, Natalia Szafran-Kozakowska <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Right now we only have a page in Polish on our chapter wiki (
> > > https://pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/ProWikimedia_2015) and a post on our
> blog
> > > also in Polish (http://blog.wikimedia.pl/2015/05/1456/). But we of
> > course
> > > can create a page in English perhaps on Meta if you wish to know more
> :)
> > >
> > > Natalia Szafran-Kozakowska

> and
> > > energy
> > say
> projects
> the
> > jury
> people
> > > who
> > > most

> > > major
> > were
> > > of
> which
> > the
> approach
> > > and
> > > projects

> > the
> > > democracy
> > effort

> > > thought
> (and
> show
> > as I

Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The ProWikimedia award and thanking the volunteers

Santiago Navarro
Great iniciative. I love it and I'll try to do something similar in
Spain. Thanks for sharing this.

Santi

El 2015-06-11 22:43, Natalia Szafran-Kozakowska escribió:

> [...]
> effort of
> Wikimedia volunteers who change the world by sharing knowledge.
>
> The ProWikimedia project has already (thanks to the outside jury)
> thought
> us a lot about our actions and initiatives and given us precious (and
> sometimes surprising) insight. But it's main purpose is to keep our
> volunteers inspired, encourage them to start new initiatives and show
> them
> how great job they are doing. I am really excited about this award as
> truly believe that showing gratitude to our volunteers is something
> really
> important. And we need to find new ways to do it.
>

> Natalia Szafran-Kozakowska
> [[user:Magalia]]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The ProWikimedia award and thanking the volunteers

Alex Wang
Great idea! Thanks for sharing this model.

Alexandra Wang
Program Officer
Project & Event Grants
Wikimedia Foundation <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Home>