[Wikimedia-l] The Wikipedia Library

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Wikimedia-l] The Wikipedia Library

Jake Orlowitz
'''The Wikipedia Library''' is an open research hub, a place for organizing
our amazing community of research and reference experts to collaborate and
help improve the encyclopedia.

We are working together towards 5 big goals:
*Connect editors with their local library and freely accessible resources
*Partner to provide free '''access to paywalled publications''', databases,
universities, and libraries
*Build relationships among our community of editors, libraries, and
librarians
*Facilitate research for Wikipedians, helping editors to find and use
sources
*Promote broader open access in publishing and research

Sign up to receive announcements and news about resource donations and
partnerships: '
http://enwp.org/WP::The_Wikipedia_Library/Newsletter/Recipients

Come and create a profile, and see how we can leverage your talent,
expertise, and dedication:
http://enwp.org/WP:The_Wikipedia_Library#Participants

There are numerous ways to get involved--project management, institutional
outreach, research assistance, community organizing, library help,
tool-building, graphic design--we'll find a path that best uses your
strengths.

Hope to see you there, [[User:Ocaasi|Ocaasi]]<sup> [[User talk:Ocaasi|t
]]&#124;[[Special:Contributions/Ocaasi| c]]</sup> 14:59, 23 August 2013
(UTC)


--
Jake Orlowitz
  Wikipedia: Ocaasi <http://enwp.org/User:Ocaasi>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The Wikipedia Library

Lionel Allorge (lionel.allorge@lunerouge.org)
Hi,

> Sign up to receive announcements and news about resource donations and
> partnerships: '
> http://enwp.org/WP::The_Wikipedia_Library/Newsletter/Recipients

Your link is broken.

Regards.
--
Lionel Allorge
Lune Rouge : http://www.lunerouge.org
April : http://www.april.org


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The Wikipedia Library

James Alexander-4
For everyones ease :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:The_Wikipedia_Library/Newsletter/Recipients

James Alexander
Legal and Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation
(415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur


On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 3:51 AM, Lionel Allorge <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Sign up to receive announcements and news about resource donations and
> > partnerships: '
> > http://enwp.org/WP::The_Wikipedia_Library/Newsletter/Recipients
>
> Your link is broken.
>
> Regards.
> --
> Lionel Allorge
> Lune Rouge : http://www.lunerouge.org
> April : http://www.april.org
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The Wikipedia Library

JP Béland
Good day, Wikipedia Library is a great project, thanks for sharing.
That being said, I'm not sure why this project is on the English
Wikipedia? Considering the fact that most sources are in English no
matter the language(s) you are contributing in, woudln't all Wikipedia
communities take benefit of those opportunities to have access to more
references even if they are in English?

Thanks,
JP Beland
aka Amqui

2013/8/26, James Alexander <[hidden email]>:

> For everyones ease :)
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:The_Wikipedia_Library/Newsletter/Recipients
>
> James Alexander
> Legal and Community Advocacy
> Wikimedia Foundation
> (415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur
>
>
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 3:51 AM, Lionel Allorge <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> > Sign up to receive announcements and news about resource donations and
>> > partnerships: '
>> > http://enwp.org/WP::The_Wikipedia_Library/Newsletter/Recipients
>>
>> Your link is broken.
>>
>> Regards.
>> --
>> Lionel Allorge
>> Lune Rouge : http://www.lunerouge.org
>> April : http://www.april.org
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimedia-l mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
>> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The Wikipedia Library

Jake Orlowitz
In reply to this post by Jake Orlowitz
I'm sensitive to concerns about the Library's location.  It is partly a
legacy issue:  The Wikipedia Library partnerships started on English
Wikipedia, and that's where the Credo, HighBeam, Questia, JSTOR, and
Cochrane account donations were coordinated.  This made some sense at the
time because these were English language source being donated (although the
donations were promoted to and open to all global editors and projects).   That
will remain--global notifications about account donations and organizing
will be sent using Global Message Delivery, Wikimedia Foundation blog posts
and Signpost mentions will make other announcements.

This is always a tricky issue for our movement but the intent is very much
to benefit all projects and conduct outreach to all regions.  For
neutrality, META is obviously best, but for overall convenience, English
Wikipedia remains the largest and most active project, with the highest
concentration of English language speakers.   So in that sense it's a
question of maximizing convenience versus equalizing inconvenience.  If
hosted on Meta, everyone has to switch wikis to get there.  If hosted on
ENWP, all non-ENWP still editors have to switch wikis to get there, but the
huge chunk of ENWP editors do not.
This will hopefully become much less of an issue with interface changes
like Flow and Global Watchlists.  Meta did just get notifications, so
that's helpful, but I still feel collaboration is somewhat limited by our
current infrastrcutre.

There are other concerns such as turning Meta into a true hub for all of
our editors, and representing our global nature by hosting global projects
there.  These are important, and I want to give it more thought.

So, in the meantime going to look into hosting this on Meta, and I will
definitely at least mirror a portal there.  It may take some time while we
continue to organize and get set up

I'd like to continue talking more about this.  Cheers,

Jake Orlowitz (Ocaasi)
[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The Wikipedia Library

Juergen Fenn-3
In reply to this post by JP Béland
2013/8/26 JP Béland <[hidden email]>:
> Good day, Wikipedia Library is a great project, thanks for sharing.
> That being said, I'm not sure why this project is on the English
> Wikipedia? Considering the fact that most sources are in English no
> matter the language(s) you are contributing in, woudln't all Wikipedia
> communities take benefit of those opportunities to have access to more
> references even if they are in English?

Good point. That's exactly what I've criticised in my post about the
Library in the Wikipedia:Kurier today. The project needs more
contribution from other language versions. There is no reason to hide
it from us on the English Wikipedia where hardly anyone ever gets by.
So would users from other language versions please contribute to the
Wikipedia Library! It should be moved to Meta. Apart from that, I am
quite grateful for all your efforts, Jack.

https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Kurier&diff=121931483&oldid=121855411

Regards,
Jürgen.

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The Wikipedia Library

JP Béland
In reply to this post by Jake Orlowitz
2013/8/26, Jake Orlowitz <[hidden email]>:

> I'm sensitive to concerns about the Library's location.  It is partly a
> legacy issue:  The Wikipedia Library partnerships started on English
> Wikipedia, and that's where the Credo, HighBeam, Questia, JSTOR, and
> Cochrane account donations were coordinated.  This made some sense at the
> time because these were English language source being donated (although the
> donations were promoted to and open to all global editors and projects).
> That
> will remain--global notifications about account donations and organizing
> will be sent using Global Message Delivery, Wikimedia Foundation blog posts
> and Signpost mentions will make other announcements.
>
> This is always a tricky issue for our movement but the intent is very much
> to benefit all projects and conduct outreach to all regions.  For
> neutrality, META is obviously best, but for overall convenience, English
> Wikipedia remains the largest and most active project, with the highest
> concentration of English language speakers.   So in that sense it's a
> question of maximizing convenience versus equalizing inconvenience.  If
> hosted on Meta, everyone has to switch wikis to get there.  If hosted on
> ENWP, all non-ENWP still editors have to switch wikis to get there, but the
> huge chunk of ENWP editors do not.
> This will hopefully become much less of an issue with interface changes
> like Flow and Global Watchlists.  Meta did just get notifications, so
> that's helpful, but I still feel collaboration is somewhat limited by our
> current infrastrcutre.
>
> There are other concerns such as turning Meta into a true hub for all of
> our editors, and representing our global nature by hosting global projects
> there.  These are important, and I want to give it more thought.
>
> So, in the meantime going to look into hosting this on Meta, and I will
> definitely at least mirror a portal there.  It may take some time while we
> continue to organize and get set up
>
> I'd like to continue talking more about this.  Cheers,
>
> Jake Orlowitz (Ocaasi)
> [hidden email]
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>

Good day,
Thanks for your reply and input. I never intended to imply that this
project was closed to the global community, because I'm certain that
this is not the case.

This is more than just a question of "having to switch wikis to get to
the Library", there is also an important perception factor. True that
all non-enWikipedians have to switch wikis anyway, but there is
something different from switching from your wiki to a global one,
i.e. Meta, and switching from your wiki to another one that you may
not contribute to. Even if it's not the case, there is a perception
that if a project is hosted on a local wiki it is intended for the
local community.

Thanks,
JP Béland
aka Amqui

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>