[Wikimedia-l] The conversation is happening elsewhere :(

[Wikimedia-l] The conversation is happening elsewhere :(

Asaf Bartov-2
Dear colleagues,

These are difficult and confusing times.  Many of you are puzzled or
receiving partial and possibly contradictory bits and pieces of news.

As a service to the community, I feel I must point out that significantly
more conversation is taking place -- for whatever reason -- on the (public)
Wikipedia Weekly facebook group[1].

Without endorsing that choice of venue (the issues with Facebook are fairly
well-known), it does appear that if you want significantly more
information, you should head on over there and read through the last couple
of weeks' posts. (much information is in the comments)

(if you are inspired to collect and preserve useful information from there
on Meta, that would be best.)

In solidarity,

   Asaf

[1] https://www.facebook.com/groups/wikipediaweekly/

--
    Asaf Bartov

https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The conversation is happening elsewhere :(

Adam Wight-2
Thanks for the note!  Fwiw, I can't read that without a login.  Feel free
to urge the owners to make the thread public, if base crook even supports
such a thing.
On Feb 16, 2016 4:47 PM, "Asaf Bartov" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> These are difficult and confusing times.  Many of you are puzzled or
> receiving partial and possibly contradictory bits and pieces of news.
>
> As a service to the community, I feel I must point out that significantly
> more conversation is taking place -- for whatever reason -- on the (public)
> Wikipedia Weekly facebook group[1].
>
> Without endorsing that choice of venue (the issues with Facebook are fairly
> well-known), it does appear that if you want significantly more
> information, you should head on over there and read through the last couple
> of weeks' posts. (much information is in the comments)
>
> (if you are inspired to collect and preserve useful information from there
> on Meta, that would be best.)
>
> In solidarity,
>
>    Asaf
>
> [1] https://www.facebook.com/groups/wikipediaweekly/
>
> --
>     Asaf Bartov
>     Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>

> https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The conversation is happening elsewhere :(

Andrea Zanni-2
Thanks Asaf,
I didn't know about that group.

May I also mention that the conversation is also becoming *exhausting*,
being in English and at very high level?
I know we can't do nothing about it, but it's worth noting, IMHO, that the
more we go on the fewer people with incredible stamina, analytic skills and
English proficiency will follow and engage.
Not really inclusive for Wikimedia.
I, for one, find it very hard to follow everything and participate.

Aubrey

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 2:02 AM, Adam Wight <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the note!  Fwiw, I can't read that without a login.  Feel free
> to urge the owners to make the thread public, if base crook even supports
> such a thing.
> On Feb 16, 2016 4:47 PM, "Asaf Bartov" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Dear colleagues,
> >
> > These are difficult and confusing times.  Many of you are puzzled or
> > receiving partial and possibly contradictory bits and pieces of news.
> >
> > As a service to the community, I feel I must point out that significantly
> > more conversation is taking place -- for whatever reason -- on the
> (public)
> > Wikipedia Weekly facebook group[1].
> >
> > Without endorsing that choice of venue (the issues with Facebook are
> fairly
> > well-known), it does appear that if you want significantly more
> > information, you should head on over there and read through the last
> couple
> > of weeks' posts. (much information is in the comments)
> >
> > (if you are inspired to collect and preserve useful information from
> there
> > on Meta, that would be best.)
> >
> > In solidarity,
> >
> >    Asaf
> >
> > [1] https://www.facebook.com/groups/wikipediaweekly/
> >
> > --
> >     Asaf Bartov
> >     Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>
> >
> > Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
> > sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!
> > https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The conversation is happening elsewhere :(

Yury Bulka
I can't access it too (I don't have an account on Facebook).

Adam Wight <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thanks for the note!  Fwiw, I can't read that without a login.  Feel free
> to urge the owners to make the thread public, if base crook even supports
> such a thing.
> On Feb 16, 2016 4:47 PM, "Asaf Bartov" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear colleagues,
>>
>> These are difficult and confusing times.  Many of you are puzzled or
>> receiving partial and possibly contradictory bits and pieces of news.
>>
>> As a service to the community, I feel I must point out that significantly
>> more conversation is taking place -- for whatever reason -- on the (public)
>> Wikipedia Weekly facebook group[1].
>>
>> Without endorsing that choice of venue (the issues with Facebook are fairly
>> well-known), it does appear that if you want significantly more
>> information, you should head on over there and read through the last couple
>> of weeks' posts. (much information is in the comments)
>>
>> (if you are inspired to collect and preserve useful information from there
>> on Meta, that would be best.)
>>
>> In solidarity,
>>
>>    Asaf
>>
>> [1] https://www.facebook.com/groups/wikipediaweekly/
>>
>> --
>>     Asaf Bartov
>>     Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>
>>
>> Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
>> sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!
>> https://donate.wikimedia.org

[Wikimedia-l] Simple English please! was The conversation is happening elsewhere :(

Anders Wennersten-2
I second this opinion, please remember we are many not having English as
our mother language

Also besides being all lost in the discussion of Knight grant
application, I do not understand a word from the poem of Yates, neither
do I understand the meaning of Aspen grove

Please, please go back to simple English in this list to enable many to
take part

Andes

Den 2016-02-17 kl. 09:57, skrev Andrea Zanni:

> Thanks Asaf,
> I didn't know about that group.
>
> May I also mention that the conversation is also becoming *exhausting*,
> being in English and at very high level?
> I know we can't do nothing about it, but it's worth noting, IMHO, that the
> more we go on the fewer people with incredible stamina, analytic skills and
> English proficiency will follow and engage.
> Not really inclusive for Wikimedia.
> I, for one, find it very hard to follow everything and participate.
>
> Aubrey
>

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 2:02 AM, Adam Wight <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the note!  Fwiw, I can't read that without a login.  Feel free
>> to urge the owners to make the thread public, if base crook even supports
>> such a thing.
>> On Feb 16, 2016 4:47 PM, "Asaf Bartov" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear colleagues,
>>>
>>> These are difficult and confusing times.  Many of you are puzzled or
>>> receiving partial and possibly contradictory bits and pieces of news.
>>>
>>> As a service to the community, I feel I must point out that significantly
>>> more conversation is taking place -- for whatever reason -- on the
>> (public)
>>> Wikipedia Weekly facebook group[1].
>>>
>>> Without endorsing that choice of venue (the issues with Facebook are
>> fairly
>>> well-known), it does appear that if you want significantly more
>>> information, you should head on over there and read through the last
>> couple
>>> of weeks' posts. (much information is in the comments)
>>>
>>> (if you are inspired to collect and preserve useful information from
>> there
>>> on Meta, that would be best.)
>>>
>>> In solidarity,
>>>
>>>     Asaf
>>>
>>> [1] https://www.facebook.com/groups/wikipediaweekly/
>>>
>>> --
>>>      Asaf Bartov
>>>      Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>
>>>
>>> Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
>>> sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!
>>> https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Simple English please! was The conversation is happening elsewhere :(

Michel Vuijlsteke-2
Aspen grove: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Pando_(tree)

On 17 February 2016 at 10:14, Anders Wennersten <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I second this opinion, please remember we are many not having English as
> our mother language
>
> Also besides being all lost in the discussion of Knight grant application,
> I do not understand a word from the poem of Yates, neither do I understand
> the meaning of Aspen grove
>
> Please, please go back to simple English in this list to enable many to
> take part
>
> Andes
>
> Den 2016-02-17 kl. 09:57, skrev Andrea Zanni:
>
>> Thanks Asaf,
>> I didn't know about that group.
>>
>> May I also mention that the conversation is also becoming *exhausting*,
>> being in English and at very high level?
>> I know we can't do nothing about it, but it's worth noting, IMHO, that the
>> more we go on the fewer people with incredible stamina, analytic skills
>> and
>> English proficiency will follow and engage.
>> Not really inclusive for Wikimedia.
>> I, for one, find it very hard to follow everything and participate.
>>
>> Aubrey
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 2:02 AM, Adam Wight <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the note!  Fwiw, I can't read that without a login.  Feel free
>>> to urge the owners to make the thread public, if base crook even supports
>>> such a thing.
>>> On Feb 16, 2016 4:47 PM, "Asaf Bartov" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear colleagues,

>>> (public)

>>> fairly

>>> couple

>>> there

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Simple English please! was The conversation is happening elsewhere :(

Dan Andreescu
At our all-hands meeting this year, Risker [1] gave a moving talk in which
she pointed out that the Wikimedia movement is a part of the open knowledge
movement.  She showed us a picture of Pando, which is a remarkable organism
as you can see for yourself in that article.  And she said that the ancient
open knowledge movement is like this ancient group of trees that has
survived everything.  And that we are proud to be a part of that movement.
For many of us, it was a reminder that we are connected to something almost
invincible and it gave us hope.  That hope and strength was what I was
tapping into with my message, my apologies for not foot-noting.

[1] https://meta.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Risker