[Wikimedia-l] The value of Wikipedia for the economy

[Wikimedia-l] The value of Wikipedia for the economy

Lodewijk
Hi all,

Last weekend we had a discussion about how to 'sell' the importance of
Wikipedia to economics-focused people (a.k.a. politicians etc), and the
question came up on how much Wikipedia contributes to the global economy.
Many people access it daily, and the information they get from that might
help them to run businesses, be more efficient etc. Third world countries
(and maybe even the rest of the world) might have better educated people
thanks to Wikipedia, which might make better and more efficient workers,
higher literacy and cheaper university educations.

Has there been any scientific (or other) research on the effect Wikipedia
has (or had) on the world economy, or even the economy of a specific
country/region? There are some numbers what Wikipedia would be 'worth' if
it were a commercial company, but that is not what I'm looking for. What is
Wikipedia worth to society, the way it currently runs.

Alternatively, are there similar studies to other knowledge compendiums, or
even 'the internet'?

Thanks for any pointers!

Lodewijk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The value of Wikipedia for the economy

Fred Bauder-2
The value would be obvious if Wikipedia were a for profit company listed
on the stock markets. Not that it would have a real value identical to a
computation based on imagined advertising revenue. It is in the billions
though.

Fred

> Hi all,
>
> Last weekend we had a discussion about how to 'sell' the importance of
> Wikipedia to economics-focused people (a.k.a. politicians etc), and the
> question came up on how much Wikipedia contributes to the global economy.
> Many people access it daily, and the information they get from that might
> help them to run businesses, be more efficient etc. Third world countries
> (and maybe even the rest of the world) might have better educated people
> thanks to Wikipedia, which might make better and more efficient workers,
> higher literacy and cheaper university educations.
>
> Has there been any scientific (or other) research on the effect Wikipedia
> has (or had) on the world economy, or even the economy of a specific
> country/region? There are some numbers what Wikipedia would be 'worth' if
> it were a commercial company, but that is not what I'm looking for. What
> is
> Wikipedia worth to society, the way it currently runs.
>
> Alternatively, are there similar studies to other knowledge compendiums,
> or
> even 'the internet'?
>
> Thanks for any pointers!
>
> Lodewijk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The value of Wikipedia for the economy

Andrew Gray-3
The Economist had an estimate recently:

http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21573091-how-quantify-gains-internet-has-brought-consumers-net-benefits
http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2013/03/technology-2

- of approximately $50m "value" to readers. It's a pretty vague
estimate, but it's an interesting start.

Andrew.

On 8 April 2013 13:28, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Last weekend we had a discussion about how to 'sell' the importance of
> Wikipedia to economics-focused people (a.k.a. politicians etc), and the
> question came up on how much Wikipedia contributes to the global economy.
> Many people access it daily, and the information they get from that might
> help them to run businesses, be more efficient etc. Third world countries
> (and maybe even the rest of the world) might have better educated people
> thanks to Wikipedia, which might make better and more efficient workers,
> higher literacy and cheaper university educations.
>
> Has there been any scientific (or other) research on the effect Wikipedia
> has (or had) on the world economy, or even the economy of a specific
> country/region? There are some numbers what Wikipedia would be 'worth' if
> it were a commercial company, but that is not what I'm looking for. What is
> Wikipedia worth to society, the way it currently runs.
>
> Alternatively, are there similar studies to other knowledge compendiums, or
> even 'the internet'?
>
> Thanks for any pointers!
>
> Lodewijk

- Andrew Gray

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The value of Wikipedia for the economy

Fred Bauder-2
If the internet could be sold at auction giving the buyer an exclusive
permanent monopoly to license all internet activity what would it sell
for?

Fred

> The Economist had an estimate recently:
>
> http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21573091-how-quantify-gains-internet-has-brought-consumers-net-benefits
> http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2013/03/technology-2
>
> - of approximately $50m "value" to readers. It's a pretty vague
> estimate, but it's an interesting start.
>
> Andrew.
>
> On 8 April 2013 13:28, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Last weekend we had a discussion about how to 'sell' the importance of
>> Wikipedia to economics-focused people (a.k.a. politicians etc), and the
>> question came up on how much Wikipedia contributes to the global
>> economy.
>> Many people access it daily, and the information they get from that
>> might
>> help them to run businesses, be more efficient etc. Third world
>> countries
>> (and maybe even the rest of the world) might have better educated
>> people
>> thanks to Wikipedia, which might make better and more efficient
>> workers,
>> higher literacy and cheaper university educations.
>>
>> Has there been any scientific (or other) research on the effect
>> Wikipedia
>> has (or had) on the world economy, or even the economy of a specific
>> country/region? There are some numbers what Wikipedia would be 'worth'
>> if
>> it were a commercial company, but that is not what I'm looking for.
>> What is
>> Wikipedia worth to society, the way it currently runs.
>>
>> Alternatively, are there similar studies to other knowledge
>> compendiums, or
>> even 'the internet'?
>>
>> Thanks for any pointers!
>>
>> Lodewijk

> - Andrew Gray
>   [hidden email]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The value of Wikipedia for the economy

Anders Wennersten-2
In preparation of the strategic planning a few years ago, we at the Audi
committee made some calculation to estimate the theoretical potential of
donation from different perspectives, like what other NGO got.

We then come to the standpoint that the potential was several times that
of 2009-2010 donations. We have now already doubled that amount, and
perhaps we are getting closer to the theoretical potential, but this
gives the estimate of a potential donation of something between 50-200
MUSD. And the benefit must surely be a few times of the potential
donations, So a rough estimate of benefit based on this reasoning would
be in the magnitude of 100-500 MUSD/year
Anders

Andrew Gray skrev 2013-04-08 14:36:

> The Economist had an estimate recently:
>
> http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21573091-how-quantify-gains-internet-has-brought-consumers-net-benefits
> http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2013/03/technology-2
>
> - of approximately $50m "value" to readers. It's a pretty vague
> estimate, but it's an interesting start.
>
> Andrew.
>
> On 8 April 2013 13:28, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Last weekend we had a discussion about how to 'sell' the importance of
>> Wikipedia to economics-focused people (a.k.a. politicians etc), and the
>> question came up on how much Wikipedia contributes to the global economy.
>> Many people access it daily, and the information they get from that might
>> help them to run businesses, be more efficient etc. Third world countries
>> (and maybe even the rest of the world) might have better educated people
>> thanks to Wikipedia, which might make better and more efficient workers,
>> higher literacy and cheaper university educations.
>>
>> Has there been any scientific (or other) research on the effect Wikipedia
>> has (or had) on the world economy, or even the economy of a specific
>> country/region? There are some numbers what Wikipedia would be 'worth' if
>> it were a commercial company, but that is not what I'm looking for. What is
>> Wikipedia worth to society, the way it currently runs.
>>
>> Alternatively, are there similar studies to other knowledge compendiums, or
>> even 'the internet'?
>>
>> Thanks for any pointers!
>>
>> Lodewijk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The value of Wikipedia for the economy

Lodewijk
However, those numbers are not exactly what I'm looking for. I do not want
to know what it would be worth as a company, or how much people are willing
to pay for it. But how big is the impact? How much positive value does
Wikipedia add to the world economy? I hope this number is significantly
higher than what people would be willing to donate (although it would give
a far low minimum).

2013/4/8 Anders Wennersten <[hidden email]>

> In preparation of the strategic planning a few years ago, we at the Audi
> committee made some calculation to estimate the theoretical potential of
> donation from different perspectives, like what other NGO got.
>
> We then come to the standpoint that the potential was several times that
> of 2009-2010 donations. We have now already doubled that amount, and
> perhaps we are getting closer to the theoretical potential, but this gives
> the estimate of a potential donation of something between 50-200 MUSD. And
> the benefit must surely be a few times of the potential donations, So a
> rough estimate of benefit based on this reasoning would be in the magnitude
> of 100-500 MUSD/year
> Anders
>

> Andrew Gray skrev 2013-04-08 14:36:
>
>  The Economist had an estimate recently:
>>
>> http://www.economist.com/news/**finance-and-economics/**
>> 21573091-how-quantify-gains-**internet-has-brought-**
>> consumers-net-benefits<http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21573091-how-quantify-gains-internet-has-brought-consumers-net-benefits>
>> http://www.economist.com/**blogs/freeexchange/2013/03/**technology-2<http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2013/03/technology-2>
>>
>> - of approximately $50m "value" to readers. It's a pretty vague
>> estimate, but it's an interesting start.
>>
>> Andrew.
>>
>> On 8 April 2013 13:28, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Last weekend we had a discussion about how to 'sell' the importance of
>>> Wikipedia to economics-focused people (a.k.a. politicians etc), and the
>>> question came up on how much Wikipedia contributes to the global economy.
>>> Many people access it daily, and the information they get from that might
>>> help them to run businesses, be more efficient etc. Third world countries
>>> (and maybe even the rest of the world) might have better educated people
>>> thanks to Wikipedia, which might make better and more efficient workers,
>>> higher literacy and cheaper university educations.
>>>
>>> Has there been any scientific (or other) research on the effect Wikipedia
>>> has (or had) on the world economy, or even the economy of a specific
>>> country/region? There are some numbers what Wikipedia would be 'worth' if
>>> it were a commercial company, but that is not what I'm looking for. What
>>> is
>>> Wikipedia worth to society, the way it currently runs.
>>>
>>> Alternatively, are there similar studies to other knowledge compendiums,
>>> or
>>> even 'the internet'?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any pointers!
>>>
>>> Lodewijk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The value of Wikipedia for the economy

Lodewijk
(sorry, this came off a bit too sharp :) Thanks for all the input, anything
is better than nothing of course!)

2013/4/8 Lodewijk <[hidden email]>

> However, those numbers are not exactly what I'm looking for. I do not want
> to know what it would be worth as a company, or how much people are willing
> to pay for it. But how big is the impact? How much positive value does
> Wikipedia add to the world economy? I hope this number is significantly
> higher than what people would be willing to donate (although it would give
> a far low minimum).
>

> 2013/4/8 Anders Wennersten <[hidden email]>
>
>> In preparation of the strategic planning a few years ago, we at the Audi
>> committee made some calculation to estimate the theoretical potential of
>> donation from different perspectives, like what other NGO got.
>>
>> We then come to the standpoint that the potential was several times that
>> of 2009-2010 donations. We have now already doubled that amount, and
>> perhaps we are getting closer to the theoretical potential, but this gives
>> the estimate of a potential donation of something between 50-200 MUSD. And
>> the benefit must surely be a few times of the potential donations, So a
>> rough estimate of benefit based on this reasoning would be in the magnitude
>> of 100-500 MUSD/year
>> Anders
>>

>> Andrew Gray skrev 2013-04-08 14:36:
>>
>>  The Economist had an estimate recently:
>>>
>>> http://www.economist.com/news/**finance-and-economics/**
>>> 21573091-how-quantify-gains-**internet-has-brought-**
>>> consumers-net-benefits<http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21573091-how-quantify-gains-internet-has-brought-consumers-net-benefits>
>>> http://www.economist.com/**blogs/freeexchange/2013/03/**technology-2<http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2013/03/technology-2>
>>>
>>> - of approximately $50m "value" to readers. It's a pretty vague
>>> estimate, but it's an interesting start.
>>>
>>> Andrew.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The value of Wikipedia for the economy

Fred Bauder-2
Don't worry. Any one who has thought about this sort of thing much has
come away more puzzled than when they began. What for example is the
"value" of a cigarette? The price is rather easy.

Fred

> (sorry, this came off a bit too sharp :) Thanks for all the input,
> anything
> is better than nothing of course!)
>

> 2013/4/8 Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
>
>> However, those numbers are not exactly what I'm looking for. I do not
>> want
>> to know what it would be worth as a company, or how much people are
>> willing
>> to pay for it. But how big is the impact? How much positive value does
>> Wikipedia add to the world economy? I hope this number is significantly
>> higher than what people would be willing to donate (although it would
>> give
>> a far low minimum).
>>

>> 2013/4/8 Anders Wennersten <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> In preparation of the strategic planning a few years ago, we at the
>>> Audi
>>> committee made some calculation to estimate the theoretical potential
>>> of
>>> donation from different perspectives, like what other NGO got.
>>>
>>> We then come to the standpoint that the potential was several times
>>> that
>>> of 2009-2010 donations. We have now already doubled that amount, and
>>> perhaps we are getting closer to the theoretical potential, but this
>>> gives
>>> the estimate of a potential donation of something between 50-200 MUSD.
>>> And
>>> the benefit must surely be a few times of the potential donations, So
>>> rough estimate of benefit based on this reasoning would be in the
>>> magnitude
>>> of 100-500 MUSD/year
>>> Anders
>>>

>>> Andrew Gray skrev 2013-04-08 14:36:
>>>
>>>  The Economist had an estimate recently:

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The value of Wikipedia for the economy

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Fred Bauder, 08/04/2013 15:38:
> Don't worry. Any one who has thought about this sort of thing much has
> come away more puzzled than when they began. What for example is the
> "value" of a cigarette? The price is rather easy.

Better example: what is the value of a park, of trees in a city, of a
public library, etc. Maybe the question would be "easier" to answer if
rephrases as: what's the impact on HDI, on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_national_happiness (;-) ) or other
measures that somehow numerical but not monetary.

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The value of Wikipedia for the economy

mathieu lovato stumpf guntz
Le 2013-04-08 16:13, Federico Leva (Nemo) a écrit :

> Fred Bauder, 08/04/2013 15:38:
>> Don't worry. Any one who has thought about this sort of thing much
>> has
>> come away more puzzled than when they began. What for example is the
>> "value" of a cigarette? The price is rather easy.
>
> Better example: what is the value of a park, of trees in a city, of a
> public library, etc. Maybe the question would be "easier" to answer
> if
> rephrases as: what's the impact on HDI, on
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_national_happiness (;-) ) or
> other
> measures that somehow numerical but not monetary.
>
> Nemo

I totaly agree.

On the other way, how will react an official political personn with HDI
statistics? Do anyone here have real experience of such a statistic in
political debate? I mean, if you make a great and serious article but
that political instances will take it as a "hippy nonsense" because it
doesn't even speak about $, €, ¤…, what the point?

Now if you mean to make such an article for the comunity, definetely go
for the "Gross national happiness" and so on way to analyze. :)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The value of Wikipedia for the economy

Alex Peek
Clay Shirky talks about the importance of online collaboration:
http://www.ted.com/talks/clay_shirky_on_institutions_versus_collaboration.html

On 8 April 2013 07:13, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fred Bauder, 08/04/2013 15:38:
>
>  Don't worry. Any one who has thought about this sort of thing much has
>> come away more puzzled than when they began. What for example is the
>> "value" of a cigarette? The price is rather easy.
>>

> Better example: what is the value of a park, of trees in a city, of a
> public library, etc. Maybe the question would be "easier" to answer if
> rephrases as: what's the impact on HDI, on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/*
> *Gross_national_happiness<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_national_happiness>(;-) ) or other measures that somehow numerical but not monetary.
>
> Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The value of Wikipedia for the economy

Lodewijk
Libraries are indeed a very interesting comparison. There are numerous
studies into valuing the economic value of libraries, with varying
definitions, including [1] from 2002 estimating the economic value of the
British library system and [2] giving an overview of different studies and
their methods.

Lodewijk
[1]: http://www.librijournal.org/pdf/2002-2pp78-87.pdf
[2]:
https://www.nla.gov.au/openpublish/index.php/nlasp/article/viewArticle/1213/1498

2013/4/8 Alex Peek <[hidden email]>

> Clay Shirky talks about the importance of online collaboration:
>
> http://www.ted.com/talks/clay_shirky_on_institutions_versus_collaboration.html
>

> On 8 April 2013 07:13, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Fred Bauder, 08/04/2013 15:38:
> >
> >  Don't worry. Any one who has thought about this sort of thing much has
> >> come away more puzzled than when they began. What for example is the
> >> "value" of a cigarette? The price is rather easy.
> >>

> > Better example: what is the value of a park, of trees in a city, of a
> > public library, etc. Maybe the question would be "easier" to answer if
> > rephrases as: what's the impact on HDI, on
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/*
> > *Gross_national_happiness<
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_national_happiness>(;-) ) or other
> measures that somehow numerical but not monetary.
> >
> > Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The value of Wikipedia for the economy

Tilman Bayer
On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 5:36 AM, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Economist had an estimate recently:
>
> http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21573091-how-quantify-gains-internet-has-brought-consumers-net-benefits
> http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2013/03/technology-2
>
> - of approximately $50m "value" to readers. It's a pretty vague
> estimate, but it's an interesting start.

It's worth keeping in mind that this estimate was based on 2006 data,
and that the Economist article commented that "such numbers probably
understate things", proceeding to cite different methodologies which
give vastly larger estimates for the economic benefit of the Internet
(or online search) as a whole - without breaking them down for
Wikipedia share, though.

> Andrew.
>
> On 8 April 2013 13:28, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Last weekend we had a discussion about how to 'sell' the importance of
> > Wikipedia to economics-focused people (a.k.a. politicians etc), and the
> > question came up on how much Wikipedia contributes to the global economy.
> > Many people access it daily, and the information they get from that might
> > help them to run businesses, be more efficient etc. Third world countries
> > (and maybe even the rest of the world) might have better educated people
> > thanks to Wikipedia, which might make better and more efficient workers,
> > higher literacy and cheaper university educations.
> >
> > Has there been any scientific (or other) research on the effect Wikipedia
> > has (or had) on the world economy, or even the economy of a specific
> > country/region? There are some numbers what Wikipedia would be 'worth' if
> > it were a commercial company, but that is not what I'm looking for. What is
> > Wikipedia worth to society, the way it currently runs.
> >
> > Alternatively, are there similar studies to other knowledge compendiums, or
> > even 'the internet'?
> >
> > Thanks for any pointers!
> >
> > Lodewijk

> - Andrew Gray
>   [hidden email]

Tilman Bayer
Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)
Wikimedia Foundation
IRC (Freenode): HaeB

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The value of Wikipedia for the economy

Balázs Viczián
Just measure up the "homework-for-hire market", what Wikipedia had almost
ruined; that would be already millions of $ worldwide :)

B.

2013/4/8 Lodewijk <[hidden email]>

> However, those numbers are not exactly what I'm looking for. I do not want
> to know what it would be worth as a company, or how much people are willing
> to pay for it. But how big is the impact? How much positive value does
> Wikipedia add to the world economy? I hope this number is significantly
> higher than what people would be willing to donate (although it would give
> a far low minimum).
>

> 2013/4/8 Anders Wennersten <[hidden email]>
>
> > In preparation of the strategic planning a few years ago, we at the Audi
> > committee made some calculation to estimate the theoretical potential of
> > donation from different perspectives, like what other NGO got.
> >
> > We then come to the standpoint that the potential was several times that
> > of 2009-2010 donations. We have now already doubled that amount, and
> > perhaps we are getting closer to the theoretical potential, but this
> gives
> > the estimate of a potential donation of something between 50-200 MUSD.
> And
> > the benefit must surely be a few times of the potential donations, So a
> > rough estimate of benefit based on this reasoning would be in the
> magnitude
> > of 100-500 MUSD/year
> > Anders
> >

> > Andrew Gray skrev 2013-04-08 14:36:
> >
> >  The Economist had an estimate recently:
> >>
> >> http://www.economist.com/news/**finance-and-economics/**
> >> 21573091-how-quantify-gains-**internet-has-brought-**
> >> consumers-net-benefits<
> http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21573091-how-quantify-gains-internet-has-brought-consumers-net-benefits
> >
> >> http://www.economist.com/**blogs/freeexchange/2013/03/**technology-2<
> http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2013/03/technology-2>
> >>
> >> - of approximately $50m "value" to readers. It's a pretty vague
> >> estimate, but it's an interesting start.
> >>
> >> Andrew.

> economy.
> might
> countries
> people
> workers,

> Wikipedia
> if
> What

> compendiums,

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The value of Wikipedia for the economy

Thomas Dalton
On 8 April 2013 13:36, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The Economist had an estimate recently:
>
> http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21573091-how-quantify-gains-internet-has-brought-consumers-net-benefits
> http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2013/03/technology-2
>
> - of approximately $50m "value" to readers. It's a pretty vague
> estimate, but it's an interesting start.

That's the value specifically the readers, rather than to the economy
in general - it excludes the value to ISPs (who actually get paid for
people accessing Wikipedia). As the article explains, it is an
estimate of the "consumer surplus" (although it seems to assume there
was no consumer surplus in 1999, which won't be true, and understates
in various other ways as well, some of which are mentioned in the
article).

If we want the value as a whole, we should add on the ISPs profits
that can be attributed to Wikipedia. And the profits of their
suppliers right the way down the supply chain.