[Wikimedia-l] Travel Guide RFC closing in 3,2,...

[Wikimedia-l] Travel Guide RFC closing in 3,2,...

Kim Bruning
For those interested, a quick reminder:

The travel guide RFC will (soft) close in 1 hour, 17 minutes as of the
moment this mail is sent. (At 0:00, 23 August 2012 (UTC))

        http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Travel_Guide

sincerely,
        Kim Bruning

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Travel Guide RFC closing in 3,2,...

Andrew Gray-3
On 22 August 2012 22:39, Kim Bruning <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For those interested, a quick reminder:
>
> The travel guide RFC will (soft) close in 1 hour, 17 minutes as of the
> moment this mail is sent. (At 0:00, 23 August 2012 (UTC))
>
>         http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Travel_Guide

Thanks for the pointer. For those wondering what the end result was,
it was just under 4:1 in favour of taking on a new WT type project.

There seems to have been a flurry of activity in the past few days,
per the talk page - Internet Brands running a survey of their readers
opposing the split, attempts to canvass WT editors to contribute to
the RFC resulting in blocking and desysopping... all very messy.

WikiVoyage seems to have started preparing for a migration (though
this may only be an intermediate step) -
http://www.wikivoyage.org/general/Migration_FAQ

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Travel Guide RFC closing in 3,2,...

Thomas Morton
I see none of the issues raised were really addressed.

Another spam filled, little populated, project then.

*sigh*

Tom

On 23 August 2012 11:53, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22 August 2012 22:39, Kim Bruning <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > For those interested, a quick reminder:
> >
> > The travel guide RFC will (soft) close in 1 hour, 17 minutes as of the
> > moment this mail is sent. (At 0:00, 23 August 2012 (UTC))
> >
> >         http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Travel_Guide
>
> Thanks for the pointer. For those wondering what the end result was,
> it was just under 4:1 in favour of taking on a new WT type project.
>
> There seems to have been a flurry of activity in the past few days,
> per the talk page - Internet Brands running a survey of their readers
> opposing the split, attempts to canvass WT editors to contribute to
> the RFC resulting in blocking and desysopping... all very messy.
>
> WikiVoyage seems to have started preparing for a migration (though
> this may only be an intermediate step) -
> http://www.wikivoyage.org/general/Migration_FAQ
>
> --
> - Andrew Gray
>   [hidden email]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Travel Guide RFC closing in 3,2,...

jmh649
Most of the issues where addressed. And they only way to determine if many
of the concerns hold water is to simply try it. A travel guide will likely
be heavily read and edited.

As a comparison their are an approximately an equal number of medical
articles on Wikipedia to travel articles. Yet the travel articles had a
much higher number of dedicated editors. I hope that you Thomas do not see
this as justification to delete the medical project? Also if you look at
readership on Wikipedia. We have many thousands of article that receive
little to no viewership I do not consider this viewership justification for
deleting them.

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

On 23 August 2012 14:56, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Most of the issues where addressed. And they only way to determine if many
> of the concerns hold water is to simply try it. A travel guide will likely
> be heavily read and edited.
>
> As a comparison their are an approximately an equal number of medical
> articles on Wikipedia to travel articles. Yet the travel articles had a
> much higher number of dedicated editors. I hope that you Thomas do not see
> this as justification to delete the medical project? Also if you look at
> readership on Wikipedia. We have many thousands of article that receive
> little to no viewership I do not consider this viewership justification for
> deleting them.

You're building straw men there.

I am just griping; we'll see if I end up being right or not I suppose.

Tom

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Travel Guide RFC closing in 3,2,...

Alice Wiegand-4
And here's a very short note about the next steps:
The board is reviewing the RfC and its talk page over the next week.
We are going to share our thoughts with you soon on the RfC's talk
page. Please feel free to leave comments there, that's still possible
and will be read ;-)

Regards, Alice

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 11:39 PM, Kim Bruning <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For those interested, a quick reminder:
>
> The travel guide RFC will (soft) close in 1 hour, 17 minutes as of the
> moment this mail is sent. (At 0:00, 23 August 2012 (UTC))
>
>         http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Travel_Guide
>
> sincerely,
>         Kim Bruning

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Travel Guide RFC closing in 3,2,...

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Alice Wiegand, 23/08/2012 23:55:
> And here's a very short note about the next steps:
> The board is reviewing the RfC and its talk page over the next week.
> We are going to share our thoughts with you soon on the RfC's talk
> page. Please feel free to leave comments there, that's still possible
> and will be read ;-)

Don't forget https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Travel_Guide which
seems to have the most useful and focused comments (which don't include
my own).

Nemo