[Wikimedia-l] USA elections in real time - as viewed by Wikipedia users

[Wikimedia-l] USA elections in real time - as viewed by Wikipedia users

Yuri Astrakhan-2
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Yurik/US_Politics_Real_Time

Thanks Dario Taraborelli for the idea.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [discovery] USA elections in real time - as viewed by Wikipedia users

Yuri Astrakhan-2
Max, it seems Vermin Supreme is no longer running :)

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 8:30 AM, Max Semenik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> W00t! I had to add an important candidate though:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?diff=15358086 ;)
>
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 8:48 PM, Yuri Astrakhan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Yurik/US_Politics_Real_Time
>>
>> Thanks Dario Taraborelli for the idea.

> Best regards,
> Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [discovery] USA elections in real time - as viewed by Wikipedia users

Àlex Hinojo
Love it! Thanks for sharing it!

> Max, it seems Vermin Supreme is no longer running :)
>
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 8:30 AM, Max Semenik <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > W00t! I had to add an important candidate though:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?diff=15358086 ;)
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 8:48 PM, Yuri Astrakhan <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Yurik/US_Politics_Real_Time
> >>
> >> Thanks Dario Taraborelli for the idea.

> > Best regards,
> > Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])

Àlex Hinojo / Kippelboy
Programme Manager / Director de projectes
Amical Wikimedia
www.wikimedia.cat
@kippelboy / @Kippelboy_cat / @AmicalWikimedia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [discovery] USA elections in real time - as viewed by Wikipedia users

Keegan Peterzell
On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 11:53 PM, Àlex Hinojo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Love it! Thanks for sharing it!

​Yup yup, this is a very cool little project with a lot of future potential
for other applications.

--
~Keegan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

This is my personal email address. Everything sent from this email address
is in a personal capacity.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [discovery] USA elections in real time - as viewed by Wikipedia users

Deb Tankersley
Very cool! Will it be updated automatically on a daily basis? :)

Cheers,

Deb

--
Deb Tankersley
Product Manager, Discovery

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 9:48 PM, Yuri Astrakhan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Yurik/US_Politics_Real_Time
>
> Thanks Dario Taraborelli for the idea.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [discovery] USA elections in real time - as viewed by Wikipedia users

Yuri Astrakhan-2
It will be updated whenever the page containing the template is
re-generated (e.g. the page is changed, or someone does a null-save).  I
heard that every page is forcefully regenerated if its older than 30 days,
but I might be mistaken. We should at some point figure out a way to
force-regenerate some of these graphs, but I am not yet sure how to
approach that.

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 7:55 PM, Deborah Tankersley <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very cool! Will it be updated automatically on a daily basis? :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Deb
>
> --
> Deb Tankersley
> Product Manager, Discovery
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 9:48 PM, Yuri Astrakhan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Yurik/US_Politics_Real_Time
>>
>> Thanks Dario Taraborelli for the idea.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [discovery] USA elections in real time - as viewed by Wikipedia users

Gergo Tisza
On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Yuri Astrakhan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> It will be updated whenever the page containing the template is
> re-generated (e.g. the page is changed, or someone does a null-save).  I
> heard that every page is forcefully regenerated if its older than 30 days,

Yes, and extension tags embedded in the page can reduce that, so if the
graph has a way of knowing how long the data will be valid, it can tell
that to the parser via ParserOutput::updateCacheExpiry.
As a hacky manual workaround, you can put <div
style="display:none">{{CURRENTHOUR}}</div> into the page to force hourly
refresh.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [discovery] USA elections in real time - as viewed by Wikipedia users

Yuri Astrakhan-2
Gergo, good to know, thanks.  Graph extension itself does not know how long
the data is valid - it simply gets a URL from which to get the pageviews
(or any other) data. At this point, only the person who writes the graph
template knows how long its valid for.

We could add an extra attribute to the graph, e.g. <graph refresh="60">
(number of minutes), to let graph extension update cache expiry.

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 11:04 PM, Gergo Tisza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Yuri Astrakhan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > It will be updated whenever the page containing the template is
> > re-generated (e.g. the page is changed, or someone does a null-save).  I
> > heard that every page is forcefully regenerated if its older than 30
> days,
> >

> Yes, and extension tags embedded in the page can reduce that, so if the
> graph has a way of knowing how long the data will be valid, it can tell
> that to the parser via ParserOutput::updateCacheExpiry.
> As a hacky manual workaround, you can put <div
> style="display:none">{{CURRENTHOUR}}</div> into the page to force hourly
> refresh.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [discovery] USA elections in real time - as viewed by Wikipedia users

Tomasz Finc-2
This is going to be a fun one to watch over the next many months.
Thank for the link Yuri