[Wikimedia-l] Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting - November 1

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Wikimedia-l] Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting - November 1

Erik Moeller-4
Hi folks,

I'm pleased to announced that the next WMF metrics and activities
meeting is going to be the first one that'll be live-streamed on
YouTube with an open IRC backchannel.

The meeting will take place November 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM UTC. The IRC
channel is #wikimedia-metrics-meetings [1] on irc.freenode.net.

The current structure of the meeting is:
* Review of key metrics including the monthly report card, but also
specialized reports and analytics
* Review of financials
* Welcoming recent hires
* Brief presentations on recent projects, with a focus on highest
priority initiatives
* Update and Q&A with the Executive Director, if available

Please review https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Metrics_and_activities_meetings
for further information about how to participate.

We'll post IRC logs and the video recording publicly after the meeting.

All best,
Erik

[1] I'm open to just using #wikimedia or another channel if folks
would prefer that, but didn't want to assume that it's OK to hog the
channel :)

--
Erik Möller
VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation

Support Free Knowledge: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting - November 1

Richard Symonds-3
Fantastic! Live youtube streams are an incredible idea. Great to see the
movement taking advantage of the rest of the tools the internet has to
offer. Thanks to all involved!

Richard Symonds, Wikimedia UK
On Oct 19, 2012 12:29 AM, "Erik Moeller" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm pleased to announced that the next WMF metrics and activities
> meeting is going to be the first one that'll be live-streamed on
> YouTube with an open IRC backchannel.
>
> The meeting will take place November 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM UTC. The IRC
> channel is #wikimedia-metrics-meetings [1] on irc.freenode.net.
>
> The current structure of the meeting is:
> * Review of key metrics including the monthly report card, but also
> specialized reports and analytics
> * Review of financials
> * Welcoming recent hires
> * Brief presentations on recent projects, with a focus on highest
> priority initiatives
> * Update and Q&A with the Executive Director, if available
>
> Please review
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Metrics_and_activities_meetings
> for further information about how to participate.
>
> We'll post IRC logs and the video recording publicly after the meeting.
>
> All best,
> Erik
>
> [1] I'm open to just using #wikimedia or another channel if folks
> would prefer that, but didn't want to assume that it's OK to hog the
> channel :)
>
> --
> Erik Möller
> VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation
>
> Support Free Knowledge: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting - November 1

metasj
+100

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 7:37 PM, Richard Symonds
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fantastic! Live youtube streams are an incredible idea. Great to see the
> movement taking advantage of the rest of the tools the internet has to
> offer. Thanks to all involved!
>
> Richard Symonds, Wikimedia UK
> On Oct 19, 2012 12:29 AM, "Erik Moeller" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'm pleased to announced that the next WMF metrics and activities
>> meeting is going to be the first one that'll be live-streamed on
>> YouTube with an open IRC backchannel.
>>
>> The meeting will take place November 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM UTC. The IRC
>> channel is #wikimedia-metrics-meetings [1] on irc.freenode.net.
>>
>> The current structure of the meeting is:
>> * Review of key metrics including the monthly report card, but also
>> specialized reports and analytics
>> * Review of financials
>> * Welcoming recent hires
>> * Brief presentations on recent projects, with a focus on highest
>> priority initiatives
>> * Update and Q&A with the Executive Director, if available
>>
>> Please review
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Metrics_and_activities_meetings
>> for further information about how to participate.
>>
>> We'll post IRC logs and the video recording publicly after the meeting.
>>
>> All best,
>> Erik
>>
>> [1] I'm open to just using #wikimedia or another channel if folks
>> would prefer that, but didn't want to assume that it's OK to hog the
>> channel :)
>>
>> --
>> Erik Möller
>> VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation
>>
>> Support Free Knowledge: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimedia-l mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l



--
Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting - November 1

Abbas Mahmood
Erik,

This is wonderful news! Will you be rotating the time of the meetings to accommodate different timezones?

Thanks,
Abbas.

> Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 21:16:24 -0400
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting - November 1
>
> +100
>
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 7:37 PM, Richard Symonds
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Fantastic! Live youtube streams are an incredible idea. Great to see the
> > movement taking advantage of the rest of the tools the internet has to
> > offer. Thanks to all involved!
> >
> > Richard Symonds, Wikimedia UK
> > On Oct 19, 2012 12:29 AM, "Erik Moeller" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> I'm pleased to announced that the next WMF metrics and activities
> >> meeting is going to be the first one that'll be live-streamed on
> >> YouTube with an open IRC backchannel.
> >>
> >> The meeting will take place November 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM UTC. The IRC
> >> channel is #wikimedia-metrics-meetings [1] on irc.freenode.net.
> >>
> >> The current structure of the meeting is:
> >> * Review of key metrics including the monthly report card, but also
> >> specialized reports and analytics
> >> * Review of financials
> >> * Welcoming recent hires
> >> * Brief presentations on recent projects, with a focus on highest
> >> priority initiatives
> >> * Update and Q&A with the Executive Director, if available
> >>
> >> Please review
> >> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Metrics_and_activities_meetings
> >> for further information about how to participate.
> >>
> >> We'll post IRC logs and the video recording publicly after the meeting.
> >>
> >> All best,
> >> Erik
> >>
> >> [1] I'm open to just using #wikimedia or another channel if folks
> >> would prefer that, but didn't want to assume that it's OK to hog the
> >> channel :)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Erik Möller
> >> VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation
> >>
> >> Support Free Knowledge: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> >> [hidden email]
> >> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
> >>
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>
>
>
> --
> Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
     
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting - November 1

James Salsman-2
In reply to this post by Erik Moeller-4
> * Review of key metrics including the monthly report card, but also
> specialized reports and analytics

Erik, are any new metrics being added to support the Halfaker
recommendations to "build tools that aid in identifying and supporting
desirable newcomers" from
http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~halfak/publications/The_Rise_and_Decline
?

In particular, are you willing to measure the number of users who have
added a "<ref" tag in article space but have empty talk pages? That
seems like the easiest query to start out with for now and refine
later -- maybe two such tag adds would be better, and there is
probably a much better way to measure talk page activity, i.e. exclude
warning templates, or even all template messages. It's fairly easy for
me to find such users non-exhaustively, but without SQL access it's
difficult to find them all or measure their numbers and trend over
time.

Or better yet, could you please add that query to the Teahouse
invitation worklist report? Their current criteria of 10 edits is a
lot less meaningful. An editor who has figured out the ref tag but
only made five edits is worth far more than one who's made 10
formatting changes.

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting - November 1

Federico Leva (Nemo)
In reply to this post by Erik Moeller-4
Nice.

Erik Moeller, 19/10/2012 01:28:
> [1] I'm open to just using #wikimedia or another channel if folks
> would prefer that, but didn't want to assume that it's OK to hog the
> channel :)

#wikimedia is surely perfect, especially if you want to attract
attention of idlers without disturbing anyone; #wikimedia-office is
another possible choice (if you want to grow the channel).

Nemo

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting - November 1

Jonathan Morgan
In reply to this post by Erik Moeller-4
Hi all,

First-time poster here. Someone just pinged me about James's suggestion,
below.

Adding more contextual parameters to the Teahouse invitee report (as a
means of including more new editors in the sample, not shrinking the
current list) is a great idea. And detecting ref tag additions is a natural
starting place. I'll look into setting this up, and try to get a sense of
how many more editors it would get us.

James, it might interest you to know that the 10 edit threshold is
*also *informed
by research Aaron conducted (that man gets around):
http://www.katie.panciera.net/publications/PancieraGROUP2009.pdf

Cheers,
Jonathan


--
Jonathan T. Morgan
Research Strategist
Wikimedia Foundation

------------------------------

Message: 9
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 22:40:19 -0600
From: James Salsman <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting -
        November 1
Message-ID:
        <CAD4=uZYSVu8PiQVdO7ok+n92Yga6Egm8zOvnm+bj=[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

> * Review of key metrics including the monthly report card, but also
> specialized reports and analytics

Erik, are any new metrics being added to support the Halfaker
recommendations to "build tools that aid in identifying and supporting
desirable newcomers" from
http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~halfak/publications/The_Rise_and_Decline
?

In particular, are you willing to measure the number of users who have
added a "<ref" tag in article space but have empty talk pages? That
seems like the easiest query to start out with for now and refine
later -- maybe two such tag adds would be better, and there is
probably a much better way to measure talk page activity, i.e. exclude
warning templates, or even all template messages. It's fairly easy for
me to find such users non-exhaustively, but without SQL access it's
difficult to find them all or measure their numbers and trend over
time.

Or better yet, could you please add that query to the Teahouse
invitation worklist report? Their current criteria of 10 edits is a
lot less meaningful. An editor who has figured out the ref tag but
only made five edits is worth far more than one who's made 10
formatting changes.



------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l


End of Wikimedia-l Digest, Vol 103, Issue 42
********************************************

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Subject: Wikimedia-l Digest, Vol 103, Issue 42
To: [hidden email]


Send Wikimedia-l mailing list submissions to
        [hidden email]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
        https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
        [hidden email]

You can reach the person managing the list at
        [hidden email]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Wikimedia-l digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Re: The new narrowed focus by WMF (MZMcBride)
   2. Re: The new narrowed focus by WMF (Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton)
   3. Re: The new narrowed focus by WMF (James Salsman)
   4. Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting - November 1
      (Erik Moeller)
   5. Re: Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting -    November 1
      (Richard Symonds)
   6. Re: The new narrowed focus by WMF (Juergen Fenn)
   7. Re: Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting -    November 1
      (Samuel Klein)
   8. Re: Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting      -       November 1
      (Abbas Mahmood)
   9. Re: Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting -    November 1
      (James Salsman)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 18:07:40 -0400
From: MZMcBride <[hidden email]>
To: Wikimedia Mailing List <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] The new narrowed focus by WMF
Message-ID: <CCA5F5EC.1DC7E%[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="US-ASCII"

MZMcBride wrote:
> Theo10011 wrote:
>> Sue Gardner started working on this document on Meta a couple of weeks
ago
>> - http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Sue_Gardner/Narrowing_focus
>
> Well, there's your problem. You're reading the talk page! You want the
> subject-space page, of course:
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Sue_Gardner/Narrowing_focus>.

Sorry, one more thing that I think deserves a follow-up e-mail: huge props
to Sue for drafting this on-wiki. I know that there were a number of
alternate private venues available (such as the office wiki) and it isn't
always easy to draft a document, particularly a document like this, in
public. In keeping with our values, I hope we continue to encourage everyone
to use the public venues whenever possible. Thank you, Sue!

MZMcBride





------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 19:23:33 -0300
From: Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton <[hidden email]>
To: Wikimedia Mailing List <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] The new narrowed focus by WMF
Message-ID:
        <[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Narrowing the focus... target locked on Wikipedia... hunf sad... very sad.

Thanks board...
On 18 October 2012 19:07, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> MZMcBride wrote:
> > Theo10011 wrote:
> >> Sue Gardner started working on this document on Meta a couple of weeks
> ago
> >> - http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Sue_Gardner/Narrowing_focus
> >
> > Well, there's your problem. You're reading the talk page! You want the
> > subject-space page, of course:
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Sue_Gardner/Narrowing_focus>.
>
> Sorry, one more thing that I think deserves a follow-up e-mail: huge props
> to Sue for drafting this on-wiki. I know that there were a number of
> alternate private venues available (such as the office wiki) and it isn't
> always easy to draft a document, particularly a document like this, in
> public. In keeping with our values, I hope we continue to encourage
> everyone
> to use the public venues whenever possible. Thank you, Sue!
>
> MZMcBride
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>



--
Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton
[hidden email]
+55 11 97 97 18 884


------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 16:54:24 -0600
From: James Salsman <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] The new narrowed focus by WMF
Message-ID:
        <CAD4=uZZYuoMnv1dBqT7=B-W-Og+rhhzT=[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

>... We are not a general educational non-profit....

The mission of the Wikimedia Foundation is to empower and engage
people around the world to collect and develop educational content
under a free license or in the public domain, and to disseminate it
effectively and globally.

How is it possible for an educational non-profit to be any more general?



------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 16:28:06 -0700
From: Erik Moeller <[hidden email]>
To: Wikimedia Mailing List <[hidden email]>
Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting -
        November 1
Message-ID:
        <[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Hi folks,

I'm pleased to announced that the next WMF metrics and activities
meeting is going to be the first one that'll be live-streamed on
YouTube with an open IRC backchannel.

The meeting will take place November 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM UTC. The IRC
channel is #wikimedia-metrics-meetings [1] on irc.freenode.net.

The current structure of the meeting is:
* Review of key metrics including the monthly report card, but also
specialized reports and analytics
* Review of financials
* Welcoming recent hires
* Brief presentations on recent projects, with a focus on highest
priority initiatives
* Update and Q&A with the Executive Director, if available

Please review
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Metrics_and_activities_meetings
for further information about how to participate.

We'll post IRC logs and the video recording publicly after the meeting.

All best,
Erik

[1] I'm open to just using #wikimedia or another channel if folks
would prefer that, but didn't want to assume that it's OK to hog the
channel :)

--
Erik M?ller
VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation

Support Free Knowledge: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate



------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 00:37:00 +0100
From: Richard Symonds <[hidden email]>
To: Wikimedia Mailing List <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting -
        November 1
Message-ID:
        <CACHSVDzDH6Hr+C_CaSCD3beECBE6ASuwWgN910JQA-CLrLU=[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Fantastic! Live youtube streams are an incredible idea. Great to see the
movement taking advantage of the rest of the tools the internet has to
offer. Thanks to all involved!

Richard Symonds, Wikimedia UK
On Oct 19, 2012 12:29 AM, "Erik Moeller" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm pleased to announced that the next WMF metrics and activities
> meeting is going to be the first one that'll be live-streamed on
> YouTube with an open IRC backchannel.
>
> The meeting will take place November 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM UTC. The IRC
> channel is #wikimedia-metrics-meetings [1] on irc.freenode.net.
>
> The current structure of the meeting is:
> * Review of key metrics including the monthly report card, but also
> specialized reports and analytics
> * Review of financials
> * Welcoming recent hires
> * Brief presentations on recent projects, with a focus on highest
> priority initiatives
> * Update and Q&A with the Executive Director, if available
>
> Please review
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Metrics_and_activities_meetings
> for further information about how to participate.
>
> We'll post IRC logs and the video recording publicly after the meeting.
>
> All best,
> Erik
>
> [1] I'm open to just using #wikimedia or another channel if folks
> would prefer that, but didn't want to assume that it's OK to hog the
> channel :)
>
> --
> Erik M?ller
> VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation
>
> Support Free Knowledge: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>


------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 01:59:28 +0200
From: Juergen Fenn <[hidden email]>
To: Wikimedia Mailing List <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] The new narrowed focus by WMF
Message-ID:
        <CANDFe-xzAXi6ERZE2dFhejb_=ReTK_hEsUyTrnK=[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

2012/10/18 Nathan <[hidden email]>:

> Why can Reddit and other
> massive userbase sites keep their community and continue to grow,
> while Wikimedia can't? Is it that we're too hard to use? Too much has
> already been done? Are the communities not open enough? Too bound by
> rules and standards and a conservative ethic of interaction?

That's easy to answer. Apart from the commercial social network sites
for the populace being non-educational: Much has already been done,
and what we are doing is good enough to most people. Also, they do not
perceive Wikipedia as a community to become a part of, but basically
as an online encyclopaedia they can use for looking up something they
are interested in ---?after all, that's what it's supposed to be,
isn't it. And then, the situation is quite different for the language
communities. German Wikipedia grows constantly by some 400 new
articles per day. No change over time. No loss of productivity. So
what?

Regards,
J?rgen.



------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 21:16:24 -0400
From: Samuel Klein <[hidden email]>
To: Wikimedia Mailing List <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting -
        November 1
Message-ID:
        <CAAtU9WLAXEkAxzx0YMYs86gVa1iguKM68wKqujcZBNwrwn=[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

+100

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 7:37 PM, Richard Symonds
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fantastic! Live youtube streams are an incredible idea. Great to see the
> movement taking advantage of the rest of the tools the internet has to
> offer. Thanks to all involved!
>
> Richard Symonds, Wikimedia UK
> On Oct 19, 2012 12:29 AM, "Erik Moeller" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'm pleased to announced that the next WMF metrics and activities
>> meeting is going to be the first one that'll be live-streamed on
>> YouTube with an open IRC backchannel.
>>
>> The meeting will take place November 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM UTC. The IRC
>> channel is #wikimedia-metrics-meetings [1] on irc.freenode.net.
>>
>> The current structure of the meeting is:
>> * Review of key metrics including the monthly report card, but also
>> specialized reports and analytics
>> * Review of financials
>> * Welcoming recent hires
>> * Brief presentations on recent projects, with a focus on highest
>> priority initiatives
>> * Update and Q&A with the Executive Director, if available
>>
>> Please review
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Metrics_and_activities_meetings
>> for further information about how to participate.
>>
>> We'll post IRC logs and the video recording publicly after the meeting.
>>
>> All best,
>> Erik
>>
>> [1] I'm open to just using #wikimedia or another channel if folks
>> would prefer that, but didn't want to assume that it's OK to hog the
>> channel :)
>>
>> --
>> Erik M?ller
>> VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation
>>
>> Support Free Knowledge: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimedia-l mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l



--
Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266



------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 02:19:50 +0000
From: Abbas Mahmood <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting     -
        November 1
Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Erik,

This is wonderful news! Will you be rotating the time of the meetings to
accommodate different timezones?

Thanks,
Abbas.

> Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 21:16:24 -0400
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting -
November 1

>
> +100
>
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 7:37 PM, Richard Symonds
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Fantastic! Live youtube streams are an incredible idea. Great to see the
> > movement taking advantage of the rest of the tools the internet has to
> > offer. Thanks to all involved!
> >
> > Richard Symonds, Wikimedia UK
> > On Oct 19, 2012 12:29 AM, "Erik Moeller" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> I'm pleased to announced that the next WMF metrics and activities
> >> meeting is going to be the first one that'll be live-streamed on
> >> YouTube with an open IRC backchannel.
> >>
> >> The meeting will take place November 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM UTC. The IRC
> >> channel is #wikimedia-metrics-meetings [1] on irc.freenode.net.
> >>
> >> The current structure of the meeting is:
> >> * Review of key metrics including the monthly report card, but also
> >> specialized reports and analytics
> >> * Review of financials
> >> * Welcoming recent hires
> >> * Brief presentations on recent projects, with a focus on highest
> >> priority initiatives
> >> * Update and Q&A with the Executive Director, if available
> >>
> >> Please review
> >> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Metrics_and_activities_meetings
> >> for further information about how to participate.
> >>
> >> We'll post IRC logs and the video recording publicly after the meeting.
> >>
> >> All best,
> >> Erik
> >>
> >> [1] I'm open to just using #wikimedia or another channel if folks
> >> would prefer that, but didn't want to assume that it's OK to hog the
> >> channel :)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Erik M?ller
> >> VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation
> >>
> >> Support Free Knowledge: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> >> [hidden email]
> >> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
> >>
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>
>
>
> --
> Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l


------------------------------

Message: 9
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 22:40:19 -0600
From: James Salsman <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting -
        November 1
Message-ID:
        <CAD4=uZYSVu8PiQVdO7ok+n92Yga6Egm8zOvnm+bj=[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

> * Review of key metrics including the monthly report card, but also
> specialized reports and analytics

Erik, are any new metrics being added to support the Halfaker
recommendations to "build tools that aid in identifying and supporting
desirable newcomers" from
http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~halfak/publications/The_Rise_and_Decline
?

In particular, are you willing to measure the number of users who have
added a "<ref" tag in article space but have empty talk pages? That
seems like the easiest query to start out with for now and refine
later -- maybe two such tag adds would be better, and there is
probably a much better way to measure talk page activity, i.e. exclude
warning templates, or even all template messages. It's fairly easy for
me to find such users non-exhaustively, but without SQL access it's
difficult to find them all or measure their numbers and trend over
time.

Or better yet, could you please add that query to the Teahouse
invitation worklist report? Their current criteria of 10 edits is a
lot less meaningful. An editor who has figured out the ref tag but
only made five edits is worth far more than one who's made 10
formatting changes.



------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l


End of Wikimedia-l Digest, Vol 103, Issue 42
********************************************
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting - November 1

Erik Moeller-4
In reply to this post by Erik Moeller-4
This is starting in 3 minutes. All info here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Metrics_and_activities_meetings

Erik


--
Erik Möller
VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation

Support Free Knowledge: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting - November 1

Erik Moeller-4
In reply to this post by Erik Moeller-4
On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The meeting will take place November 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM UTC. The IRC
> channel is #wikimedia-metrics-meetings [1] on irc.freenode.net.

All documentation [*] can now be found here:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Metrics_and_activities_meetings/2012-11-01

Upcoming meeting information will always be available at

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Metrics_and_activities_meetings

but we'll send out a pre-announcement as well.

Cheers,
Erik

[*] With the exception of the IRC log. I only have a partial log, so
if someone has the whole meeting, please add. Going forward it's been
added to the logging service at http://bots.wmflabs.org/~wm-bot/logs/
(thanks Peter).
--
Erik Möller
VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation

Support Free Knowledge: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Upcoming: WMF metrics/activities meeting - November 1

Victor Grigas
Photos:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Victorgrigas#Wikimedia_Foundation_Monthly_Metrics_Meeting_November_1.2C_2012

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The meeting will take place November 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM UTC. The IRC
> > channel is #wikimedia-metrics-meetings [1] on irc.freenode.net.
>
> All documentation [*] can now be found here:
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Metrics_and_activities_meetings/2012-11-01
>
> Upcoming meeting information will always be available at
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Metrics_and_activities_meetings
>
> but we'll send out a pre-announcement as well.
>
> Cheers,
> Erik
>
> [*] With the exception of the IRC log. I only have a partial log, so
> if someone has the whole meeting, please add. Going forward it's been
> added to the logging service at http://bots.wmflabs.org/~wm-bot/logs/
> (thanks Peter).
> --
> Erik Möller
> VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation
>
> Support Free Knowledge: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>



--

*Victor Grigas*
Storyteller
Wikimedia Foundation
[hidden email]
+1 (415) 839-6885 x 6773
149 New Montgomery Street 6th floor
San Francisco, CA 94105
https://donate.wikimedia.org/
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l