[Wikimedia-l] Update #4: Upcoming call for participation in Working Groups

[Wikimedia-l] Update #4: Upcoming call for participation in Working Groups

Katherine Maher
Dear all,

It’s been a while since I sent out the last movement strategy update. A lot
has happened in the meantime, and I wanted to give you a heads-up regarding
an upcoming call for participation!

But first things first:

1. The report from the Wikimedia Conference Movement Strategy Track
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Conference_2018/Documentation/Movement_Strategy_track>
has been published[1]. It captures all the conversations, insights and
outputs from three days of intense strategy work, so it’s a (quite) long
but very interesting read. It is meant to document the state of the process
and to allow for a deep dive into it. It should be especially valuable for
those of you who did not have a chance to participate in the conference or
attended another conference track.

2. Based on WMCON outputs (and various conversations we’ve been having in
our movement for years), the core strategy team has mapped eight key
thematic areas
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups#What_are_the_key_thematic_areas%3F>
[2] -- and some initial guiding questions -- that should to be answered to
enable us to advance towards our strategic direction. These areas include:

   - Roles & Responsibilities
   - Resource Allocation & Revenue Streams
   - Diversity
   - Partnerships
   - Capacity Building
   - Community Health
   - Technology
   - Advocacy

3. The core team will be supporting the creation of Working Groups to take
on these critical conversations. These working groups will be asked to
assess the current situation of the thematic area, and obstacles and
opportunities. They’ll have access to all the relevant information already
collected, and the chance to do further research if needed. They’ll be
asked to identify the changes needed in movement structures and develop
concrete recommendations for the movement on how to ratify and implement
them.[3] An open call for working group members will go out to the movement
this week -- please stay tuned for an update from Nicole!

I also had the chance to present more about these plans at last week’s
Metrics Meeting. Please do take a look, either look it all up on the
Meta[3] or watch the video![4]

Cheers,
Katherine

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Conference_2018/Documentation/Movement_Strategy_track

[2]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups#What_are_the_key_thematic_areas%3F

[3]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups
[4] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOaiU-v7PbE (from minute 24:25)

--
Katherine Maher

Executive Director
Wikimedia Foundation

1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
San Francisco, CA 94104

+1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
+1 (415) 712 4873
[hidden email]
https://annual.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update #4: Upcoming call for participation in Working Groups

Natacha Rault
Dear Katherine,

Thank very much you for this update. I was working in the “role and responsibilities” group in Berlin and the outcome was that we had decided to rename it “power dynamics” if I recall correctly.

Now I see this name has not been used, so I feel a little surprized?

Kind regards,

Natacha / Nattes à chat

> [...]
>
> [2]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups#What_are_the_key_thematic_areas%3F
>
> [3]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups
> [4] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOaiU-v7PbE (from minute 24:25)
>

> --
> Katherine Maher
>
> Executive Director
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> 1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
> San Francisco, CA 94104
>
> +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
> +1 (415) 712 4873
> [hidden email]
> https://annual.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update #4: Upcoming call for participation in Working Groups

Peter Southwood
Roles and responsibilities may be a better term, It has a meaning that is more likely to be understood than "power dynamics", which frankly sounds more like rocket science than what people in a group are expected to do.
Cheers,
Peter

> [...]

>   - Technology
>   - Advocacy
>
> 3. The core team will be supporting the creation of Working Groups to take
> on these critical conversations. These working groups will be asked to
> assess the current situation of the thematic area, and obstacles and
> opportunities. They’ll have access to all the relevant information already
> collected, and the chance to do further research if needed. They’ll be
> asked to identify the changes needed in movement structures and develop
> concrete recommendations for the movement on how to ratify and implement
> them.[3] An open call for working group members will go out to the movement
> this week -- please stay tuned for an update from Nicole!
>
> I also had the chance to present more about these plans at last week’s
> Metrics Meeting. Please do take a look, either look it all up on the

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update #4: Upcoming call for participation in Working Groups

Chris Keating-2
Hi Katherine!

Thanks for the update and look forward to the call for working groups.

I don't know if anyone has considered where the boundary will lie
between the different groups. For instance, "roles and
responsibilities" strikes me as potentially having a big overlap with
"resources" - given that the biggest single part of governance is
governance of funds.

Also, what is the process beyond the reports from the working groups?
What happens if, for instance, there are tensions between the outputs
of different working groups, or downright contradictions?

Thanks,

Chris

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 2:36 AM, Katherine Maher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> [2]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups#What_are_the_key_thematic_areas%3F
>
> [3]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups
> [4] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOaiU-v7PbE (from minute 24:25)
>

> --
> Katherine Maher
>
> Executive Director
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> 1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
> San Francisco, CA 94104
>
> +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
> +1 (415) 712 4873
> [hidden email]
> https://annual.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update #4: Upcoming call for participation in Working Groups

Gnangarra
to quote
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups

*During the Wikimedia Conference 2018, the Working Group “Roles &
Responsibilities” proposed “Power Dynamics” as a title instead. As power is
only a part of the broader conversation around global, regional and local
responsibilities and roles, and we wouldn’t want the group to only
concentrate on this aspect, the Strategy Core Team decided to keep the
original name. *

To me power dynamics gives a poor interpretation and sets up the work group
to focus as individual hierarchical building, rather than equity and
distribution of responsibilities

On 7 June 2018 at 17:47, Peter Southwood <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Roles and responsibilities may be a better term, It has a meaning that is
> more likely to be understood than "power dynamics", which frankly sounds
> more like rocket science than what people in a group are expected to do.
> Cheers,
> Peter

GN.
Noongarpedia: https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/nys/Main_Page
Out now: A.Gaynor, P. Newman and P. Jennings (eds.), *Never Again:
Reflections on Environmental Responsibility after Roe 8*, UWAP, 2017.  Order
here
<https://uwap.uwa.edu.au/products/never-again-reflections-on-environmental-responsibility-after-roe-8>
.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update #4: Upcoming call for participation in Working Groups

James Salsman-2
Oh, it's this discussion again. This is my favorite discussion.
Movement roles discussion is how we got the UK chapter recognized as a
charity capable of political lobbying. That was satisfying.

Maybe we can get the letter to donors back.
https://twitter.com/SuePGardner/status/998302792946102273

Don't forget to edit the matrix:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement_roles/Roles_Matrix#Roles_matrix

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 4:23 AM, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> to quote
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups
>
> *During the Wikimedia Conference 2018, the Working Group “Roles &
> Responsibilities” proposed “Power Dynamics” as a title instead. As power is
> only a part of the broader conversation around global, regional and local
> responsibilities and roles, and we wouldn’t want the group to only
> concentrate on this aspect, the Strategy Core Team decided to keep the
> original name. *
>
> To me power dynamics gives a poor interpretation and sets up the work group
> to focus as individual hierarchical building, rather than equity and
> distribution of responsibilities
>
> On 7 June 2018 at 17:47, Peter Southwood <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Roles and responsibilities may be a better term, It has a meaning that is
>> more likely to be understood than "power dynamics", which frankly sounds
>> more like rocket science than what people in a group are expected to do.
>> Cheers,
>> Peter

Nicole Ebber
Hi all,

Thank you, Natacha, for bringing this up. And thanks, Gnangarra, for
quoting our reasoning behind keeping the original name, and to Peter for
the rocket science comparison. ;)

Chris, thank you for highlighting these questions. Yes, there will be some
overlap between the groups, and we consider this an opportunity. Quote from
the WG meta page: “Connection and collaboration between Working Groups will
be essential. It will be up to the Working Group to identify collaboration
needs and opportunities, as well as to actively maintain collaborations
across groups. This will be supported by the Core Team who will act as the
‘backbone support’ of all the Working Groups.”
This also means, that some of the recommendations might have to be
finalized earlier than others, so that other groups can build upon them. We
cannot set a fixed order or timeline for this, but it will get clearer as
soon as the working groups’ start coordinating their work.

The detailed process beyond the reports and consultation across groups is
not yet finalized, partly because we are still in the recruiting process
for the Information & Knowledge Manager. We would also like to work on this
together with the Working Groups instead of setting the process in stone
before it even started.

All the best,
Nicole

On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 at 03:24, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> to quote
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups
>
> *During the Wikimedia Conference 2018, the Working Group “Roles &
> Responsibilities” proposed “Power Dynamics” as a title instead. As power is
> only a part of the broader conversation around global, regional and local
> responsibilities and roles, and we wouldn’t want the group to only
> concentrate on this aspect, the Strategy Core Team decided to keep the
> original name. *
>
> To me power dynamics gives a poor interpretation and sets up the work group
> to focus as individual hierarchical building, rather than equity and
> distribution of responsibilities
>
> On 7 June 2018 at 17:47, Peter Southwood <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Roles and responsibilities may be a better term, It has a meaning that is
> > more likely to be understood than "power dynamics", which frankly sounds
> > more like rocket science than what people in a group are expected to do.
> > Cheers,
> > Peter

Nicole Ebber
Adviser International Relations
Wikimedia Movement Strategy Process Lead
http://wikimedia.de

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 2:31 PM, James Salsman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh, it's this discussion again. This is my favorite discussion.
> Movement roles discussion is how we got the UK chapter recognized as a
> charity capable of political lobbying. That was satisfying.
>
> Maybe we can get the letter to donors back.
> https://twitter.com/SuePGardner/status/998302792946102273
>
> Don't forget to edit the matrix:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement_roles/Roles_Matrix#Roles_matrix

I don't think the Movement Roles discussion had any impact on
Wikimedia UK achieving charity status (which in any case happened
before the movement roles conversation concluded), and in any case
Wikimedia UK does virtually no lobbying....

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update #4: Upcoming call for participation in Working Groups

Michael Maggs
Well, apart from Copyright law issues in the UK and (with other
chapters) in the EU.

Michael