[Wikimedia-l] Update on Programs & Events Dashboard

[Wikimedia-l] Update on Programs & Events Dashboard

Sage Ross
The Wikimedia Community Tech team is in the final stretch of their
Community Wishlist 2017 work and recently announced the beta launch of
the 'Event Metrics' project they worked on for the #3 wish. Since the
initial proposal [1] was to improve Wiki Education's program
organizing and metrics tool Programs & Events Dashboard [2], we've
heard from a lot of people worried that Event Metrics [3] is supposed
to be a replacement for the Dashboard or that the Dashboard is going
away.

To clear up any potential confusion: Wiki Education will keep
supporting Programs & Events Dashboard as part of our commitment to
making our technology work as useful as possible to the rest of the
Wikimedia movement. Our newly-expanded Technology department, along
with many awesome volunteers and interns, is more committed than ever
to improving the Dashboard as tool for global programs, because it's
been so essential for many of you.

Programs & Events Dashboard recently passed the milestone of 4,000
programs, from more than 100 different wikis, and more than 28,000
editors have logged in [4].

For those who haven't used it before, or haven't done so in a while,
some of the useful features include:

* Account registration for in-person edit-a-thons  — to avoid getting
stopped by the IP limit for new accounts
* Automatically updated metrics for articles edited, number of edits,
Commons uploads, etc. [5]
* Additional downloadable metrics, including 7-day retention of new
editors, the complete list of edits made
* For English and Portuguese Wikipedia, tools for monitoring which
articles are involved in deletion processes [6]
* Translatable, wiki-editable training modules for newcomers [7]
* For all the languages with ORES "article quality" models, extra data
and visualizations based on ORES estimates

We have some additional features planned for the near future as well:

* Metrics for number of citations added
* Wikidata metrics for claims created and references added

If you have feature requests or complaints, please do let us know
either on the Meta talk page [8] or by opening an issue on GitHub [9].
Our team is small, so we rely heavily on the feedback we get from
Programs & Events Dashboard users to identify problems and make
improvements.

-Sage Ross
Wiki Education

----

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Wishlist_Survey_2017/Programs_and_events/Development_of_the_programs_and_events_dashboard
[2] https://outreachdashboard.wmflabs.org/
[3] https://eventmetrics.wmflabs.org/
[4] https://outreachdashboard.wmflabs.org/usage
[5] https://outreachdashboard.wmflabs.org/courses/Wikimedia_ZA/Wiki_Loves_Africa_2019_South_Africa/home
[6] https://outreachdashboard.wmflabs.org/campaigns/artfeminism_2019/alerts
[7] https://outreachdashboard.wmflabs.org/training/editing-wikipedia/editing-basics/welcome-new-editor
[8] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Programs_%26_Events_Dashboard
[9] https://github.com/WikiEducationFoundation/WikiEduDashboard/issues/new/choose

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Programs & Events Dashboard

Galder Gonzalez Larrañaga
I'm interested in the IP limit issue.. could you explain how it works, please?

Thanks

Galder
________________________________

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Programs & Events Dashboard

Sage Ross
On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 10:28 AM Galder Gonzalez Larrañaga <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm interested in the IP limit issue.. could you explain how it works,
> please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Galder

If you are one of the facilitators for a program or course on Programs &
Events Dashboard, there will be a button to "Enable account requests" on
the home tab. Once you enable account requests, there are two ways to use
the feature.

A user who follows the enrollment link and is not logged in will have the
option to request an account by entering their email address and desired
username. (The Dashboard will verify that the username is available before
they can submit the request.) Then, the facilitator will be able to see a
message when they view the program page, saying that there is a requested
account waiting to be created. They can click to approve it — at which
point, the Dashboard will create the account (and MediaWiki will email them
the temporary password), and also add that user as an editor for that
program.

A facilitator can also create a new account (and add it to the program)
directly, by entering an email and desired username on the Editors tab.
This is useful especially for in-person events like editathons, so that
those without accounts can get set up immediately upon arriving (rather
than needing to follow a link on their own computer).

How it works behind the scenes is that the facilitator or Dashboard admin
who clicks to create the account will attempt to do the account creation
action through OAuth with their own account (eg,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Log/Meredithdrum ), but if they
cannot do so because of the IP limit, the account will be created by
User:OutreachDashboardBot instead:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Log/OutreachDashboardBot

The feature can also be enabled by default for an entire campaign.

We built the initial account creation feature for Art+Feminism 2018, but
this year, we added the OutreachDashboardBot fallback so event organizers
to request Account Creator rights (which is what most people running an Art
+ Feminism event did in 2018).

-Sage

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Programs & Events Dashboard

Galder Gonzalez Larrañaga
Thanks!
I prefer students to work directly on Wiki and not on the Dashboard, as they don't understand why they are in a completely different page that doesn't seem to be related to Wikipedia. But this is useful for some courses.