[Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimedia Foundation v. NSA

[Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimedia Foundation v. NSA

James Buatti
Hello everybody,

The Foundation is pleased to announce an update in Wikimedia Foundation v.
National Security Agency,[1] our challenge to the U.S. National Security
Agency’s “Upstream”[2] mass surveillance practices. We filed[3] the suit
back in March 2015 to protect the privacy and free expression rights of
Wikimedia readers, editors, and contributors. The U.S. government moved to
dismiss the case, and in October 2015, the District Court granted that
motion.[4] Soon after, we appealed.[5]

This morning, the U.S. Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals[6] ruled that the
Wikimedia Foundation can proceed with the suit. The opinion[7] partially
vacated and remanded the District Court ruling, which found that the
Wikimedia Foundation and our eight co-plaintiffs lacked legal standing[8]
to bring the case. The Fourth Circuit panel vacated this ruling as to the
Wikimedia Foundation; two of the judges held that we have established
standing, although the other plaintiffs have not. The final judge would
have found standing for all the plaintiffs. This means our case can
proceed, but not with the other plaintiffs.

This is an important step in the fight against government mass
surveillance, and a victory for the privacy and free expression rights of
Wikimedia users. We are carefully reviewing the decision, along with our
counsel at the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)[9] to identify next
steps for our case. For the immediate time being, the case has been
remanded back to the District Court of Maryland for further proceedings. We
will keep you posted on the next steps.

For more information, please see today’s blog about the case,[10] as well
as our Wikimedia Foundation v. NSA resource page.[11]

Best,

Jim Buatti
Legal Counsel

[1] https://policy.wikimedia.org/stopsurveillance/

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstream_collection

[3] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/03/10/wikimedia-v-nsa/

[ <https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/03/10/wikimedia-v-nsa/>4]
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/10/23/wikimedia-v-nsa-lawsuit-dismissal/

[ <https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/03/10/wikimedia-v-nsa/>5]
<https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/03/10/wikimedia-v-nsa/>
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/02/17/wikimedia-nsa-appeal-filed/

[6]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Court_of_Appeals_for_the_Fourth_Circuit

[
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Court_of_Appeals_for_the_Fourth_Circuit>
7]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Court_of_Appeals_for_the_Fourth_Circuit>
https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/files/field_document/73._4th_cir_opinion_5.23.2017.pdf

[8] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_(law)

[9] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_Liberties_Union

[10] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/05/23/wikimedia-nsa-appeal-standing/

[11] https://policy.wikimedia.org/stopsurveillance/

--
James Buatti
Legal Counsel

NOTICE: This message might have confidential or legally privileged
information in it. If you have received this message by accident, please
delete it and let us know about the mistake. For legal reasons, I may only
serve as an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation. This means I may not
give legal advice to or serve as a lawyer for community members,
volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimedia Foundation v. NSA

David Gerard-2
For those who missed it in the 10th footnote, this is the link to spread:

https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/05/23/wikimedia-nsa-appeal-standing/

- d.

On 23 May 2017 at 23:00, James Buatti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> [10] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/05/23/wikimedia-nsa-appeal-standing/
>

> [11] https://policy.wikimedia.org/stopsurveillance/
>
> --
> James Buatti
> Legal Counsel
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 149 New Montgomery Street, 3rd Floor
> San Francisco, CA 94105
> [hidden email]
>
> NOTICE: This message might have confidential or legally privileged
> information in it. If you have received this message by accident, please
> delete it and let us know about the mistake. For legal reasons, I may only
> serve as an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation. This means I may not
> give legal advice to or serve as a lawyer for community members,
> volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimedia Foundation v. NSA

Cristian Consonni-3
On 24/05/2017 00:29, David Gerard wrote:
> For those who missed it in the 10th footnote, this is the link to spread:
>
> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/05/23/wikimedia-nsa-appeal-standing/

I think this is great news and it should be celebrated :-)
Thanks to the legal team and to our partners and who is assisting us in
this paramount legal battle.

Cristian