[Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimédia France

[Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimédia France

Édouard Hue
Dear Wikimedia community,

Here are the latest news from Wikimedia France.

First of all, we are devastated by the passing of our estimate trustee Mrs.
Louise Merzeau on July 15th. Louise had been appointed by the Board in
February with the ambition to learn and profit from her deep knowledge of
and academic research on the commons. Sadly, the current problems of
Wikimedia France did not give her the opportunity to get seriously involved
with the movement before she passed away.

This sad news reached us a few days after the resignation of Mr. Guillaume
Goursat, treasurer, from the Board.

The Board has appointed a new treasurer, Mr. Florian Pépellin, who already
had a mandate from the Board for banking and financial matters. The
executive team (chair, vice-chair and secretary) remains otherwise
unchanged.

The Board has also acknowledged the demand for a general assembly expressed
by more than 25% of our members. This assembly will take place on September
9th and will be the opportunity for members to elect six new Board members
to fill the vacant seats, and discuss current issues. The regular General
Assembly where the certified and audited accounts are presented and voted
will be held in October as usual. Six Board seats will also be renewed then.

Wikimédia France will receive a site visit from the Wikimedia Foundation on
the 25th and 26th of July.

Best regards,

Édouard, on behalf of the board of Wikimédia France

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimédia France

metasj
Thank you kindly Édouard for sharing this update on all fronts.  I am so
terribly sorry to hear about the passing of Louise Merzeau.

Warm thoughts and regards. SJ

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 6:24 AM, Édouard Hue <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear Wikimedia community,
>
> Here are the latest news from Wikimedia France.
>
> First of all, we are devastated by the passing of our estimate trustee Mrs.
> Louise Merzeau on July 15th. Louise had been appointed by the Board in
> February with the ambition to learn and profit from her deep knowledge of
> and academic research on the commons. Sadly, the current problems of
> Wikimedia France did not give her the opportunity to get seriously involved
> with the movement before she passed away.
>
> This sad news reached us a few days after the resignation of Mr. Guillaume
> Goursat, treasurer, from the Board.
>
> The Board has appointed a new treasurer, Mr. Florian Pépellin, who already
> had a mandate from the Board for banking and financial matters. The
> executive team (chair, vice-chair and secretary) remains otherwise
> unchanged.
>
> The Board has also acknowledged the demand for a general assembly expressed
> by more than 25% of our members. This assembly will take place on September
> 9th and will be the opportunity for members to elect six new Board members
> to fill the vacant seats, and discuss current issues. The regular General
> Assembly where the certified and audited accounts are presented and voted
> will be held in October as usual. Six Board seats will also be renewed
> then.
>
> Wikimédia France will receive a site visit from the Wikimedia Foundation on
> the 25th and 26th of July.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Édouard, on behalf of the board of Wikimédia France

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimédia France

Samuele Mantani
I want to express my sincere condolences and I can understand that this
event will have a strong impact on WMFR.

Samuele2002

Il 24/Lug/2017 07:07 AM, "Samuel Klein" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Thank you kindly Édouard for sharing this update on all fronts.  I am so
> terribly sorry to hear about the passing of Louise Merzeau.
>
> Warm thoughts and regards. SJ
>
> On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 6:24 AM, Édouard Hue <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Dear Wikimedia community,
> >
> > Here are the latest news from Wikimedia France.
> >
> > First of all, we are devastated by the passing of our estimate trustee
> Mrs.
> > Louise Merzeau on July 15th. Louise had been appointed by the Board in
> > February with the ambition to learn and profit from her deep knowledge of
> > and academic research on the commons. Sadly, the current problems of
> > Wikimedia France did not give her the opportunity to get seriously
> involved
> > with the movement before she passed away.
> >
> > This sad news reached us a few days after the resignation of Mr.
> Guillaume
> > Goursat, treasurer, from the Board.
> >
> > The Board has appointed a new treasurer, Mr. Florian Pépellin, who
> already
> > had a mandate from the Board for banking and financial matters. The
> > executive team (chair, vice-chair and secretary) remains otherwise
> > unchanged.
> >
> > The Board has also acknowledged the demand for a general assembly
> expressed
> > by more than 25% of our members. This assembly will take place on
> September
> > 9th and will be the opportunity for members to elect six new Board
> members
> > to fill the vacant seats, and discuss current issues. The regular General
> > Assembly where the certified and audited accounts are presented and voted
> > will be held in October as usual. Six Board seats will also be renewed
> > then.
> >
> > Wikimédia France will receive a site visit from the Wikimedia Foundation
> on
> > the 25th and 26th of July.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Édouard, on behalf of the board of Wikimédia France

> Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimédia France

Pine W
Hello Édouard,

Thank you for this information.

Condolences on the passing of your colleague Louise.

The news about WMFR that has been sent to this mailing list during the past
few weeks is a matter of serious concern. I hope that there will be
progress on clarifying the facts and, if it seems prudent, making changes
to improve the governance and leadership of WMFR. I am glad to hear that
the WMF staff visit will happen soon. I hope that revoking the chapter
agreement between WMF and WMFR can be avoided, although sometimes a fresh
start is the "least bad" option. I am glad to hear that the WMFR members
have indicated their support for a general assembly, that the WMFR Board
has acknowledged this demand, and that the general assembly has been
scheduled.

Please keep us updated on the situation at WMFR.

Pine

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 3:24 AM, Édouard Hue <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear Wikimedia community,
>
> Here are the latest news from Wikimedia France.
>
> First of all, we are devastated by the passing of our estimate trustee Mrs.
> Louise Merzeau on July 15th. Louise had been appointed by the Board in
> February with the ambition to learn and profit from her deep knowledge of
> and academic research on the commons. Sadly, the current problems of
> Wikimedia France did not give her the opportunity to get seriously involved
> with the movement before she passed away.
>
> This sad news reached us a few days after the resignation of Mr. Guillaume
> Goursat, treasurer, from the Board.
>
> The Board has appointed a new treasurer, Mr. Florian Pépellin, who already
> had a mandate from the Board for banking and financial matters. The
> executive team (chair, vice-chair and secretary) remains otherwise
> unchanged.
>
> The Board has also acknowledged the demand for a general assembly expressed
> by more than 25% of our members. This assembly will take place on September
> 9th and will be the opportunity for members to elect six new Board members
> to fill the vacant seats, and discuss current issues. The regular General
> Assembly where the certified and audited accounts are presented and voted
> will be held in October as usual. Six Board seats will also be renewed
> then.
>
> Wikimédia France will receive a site visit from the Wikimedia Foundation on
> the 25th and 26th of July.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Édouard, on behalf of the board of Wikimédia France

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimédia France

Katherine Maher
Dear Édouard and our other colleagues at Wikimédia France,

We are sorry to hear about the passing of Mrs. Louise Merzeau. While I did
not have a chance to meet her, I understand she was an advocate for the
Commons movement and a leading academic on digital identities and the
relationship between technology and culture. I suspect we would have gotten
along well.

Although she did not get to share her knowledge longer, we are grateful for
the contributions she made. I have no doubt Wikimedia would have benefited
greatly from her continued advocacy.

I recognize with everything that is going on, an event like this can
quickly pass by without enough notice and tribute from all of us. However,
I hope we can pause to recognize that, above all, we are people who have
come together under a shared vision for a better future. The passion and
bond that unites us are much stronger than any disagreements or challenges.
Louise was a part of that vision, and we owe it to her to recognize her
passing.

On behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation, please know that she is in our
thoughts and that the community has our condolences.

Katherine

PS. I encourage you to learn more about Mrs. Merzeau and her life from her
article on French Wikipedia:  https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Merzeau

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimédia France

Yaroslav Blanter
Actually, after Catherine's mail, an English article was started by someone
I can not recognize from the username.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Merzeau

Cheers
Yaroslav

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Katherine Maher <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear Édouard and our other colleagues at Wikimédia France,
>
> We are sorry to hear about the passing of Mrs. Louise Merzeau. While I did
> not have a chance to meet her, I understand she was an advocate for the
> Commons movement and a leading academic on digital identities and the
> relationship between technology and culture. I suspect we would have gotten
> along well.
>
> Although she did not get to share her knowledge longer, we are grateful for
> the contributions she made. I have no doubt Wikimedia would have benefited
> greatly from her continued advocacy.
>
> I recognize with everything that is going on, an event like this can
> quickly pass by without enough notice and tribute from all of us. However,
> I hope we can pause to recognize that, above all, we are people who have
> come together under a shared vision for a better future. The passion and
> bond that unites us are much stronger than any disagreements or challenges.
> Louise was a part of that vision, and we owe it to her to recognize her
> passing.
>
> On behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation, please know that she is in our
> thoughts and that the community has our condolences.
>
> Katherine
>
> PS. I encourage you to learn more about Mrs. Merzeau and her life from her
> article on French Wikipedia:  https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Merzeau

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimédia France

Natacha Rault
Hi there, being in the train from Geneva to Paris I started to translate the page on Louise Merzeau in English.

Unfortunately I am going down now, and I am not finished… But it is available here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Merzeau <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Merzeau>

I have discovered the translation tool is deactivated in english, so in fact I had to translate twice. What a shame the system allows you to proceed in the first place…

Kind regards,

Natacha

> Le 26 juil. 2017 à 14:38, Katherine Maher <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Dear Édouard and our other colleagues at Wikimédia France,o
>
> We are sorry to hear about the passing of Mrs. Louise Merzeau. While I did
> not have a chance to meet her, I understand she was an advocate for the
> Commons movement and a leading academic on digital identities and the
> relationship between technology and culture. I suspect we would have gotten
> along well.
>
> Although she did not get to share her knowledge longer, we are grateful for
> the contributions she made. I have no doubt Wikimedia would have benefited
> greatly from her continued advocacy.
>
> I recognize with everything that is going on, an event like this can
> quickly pass by without enough notice and tribute from all of us. However,
> I hope we can pause to recognize that, above all, we are people who have
> come together under a shared vision for a better future. The passion and
> bond that unites us are much stronger than any disagreements or challenges.
> Louise was a part of that vision, and we owe it to her to recognize her
> passing.
>
> On behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation, please know that she is in our
> thoughts and that the community has our condolences.
>
> Katherine
>
> PS. I encourage you to learn more about Mrs. Merzeau and her life from her
> article on French Wikipedia:  https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Merzeau

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimédia France

Natacha Rault
probably me...

> Le 26 juil. 2017 à 17:49, Yaroslav Blanter <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Actually, after Catherine's mail, an English article was started by someone
> I can not recognize from the username.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Merzeau
>
> Cheers
> Yaroslav
>
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Katherine Maher <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear Édouard and our other colleagues at Wikimédia France,
>>
>> We are sorry to hear about the passing of Mrs. Louise Merzeau. While I did
>> not have a chance to meet her, I understand she was an advocate for the
>> Commons movement and a leading academic on digital identities and the
>> relationship between technology and culture. I suspect we would have gotten
>> along well.
>>
>> Although she did not get to share her knowledge longer, we are grateful for
>> the contributions she made. I have no doubt Wikimedia would have benefited
>> greatly from her continued advocacy.
>>
>> I recognize with everything that is going on, an event like this can
>> quickly pass by without enough notice and tribute from all of us. However,
>> I hope we can pause to recognize that, above all, we are people who have
>> come together under a shared vision for a better future. The passion and
>> bond that unites us are much stronger than any disagreements or challenges.
>> Louise was a part of that vision, and we owe it to her to recognize her
>> passing.
>>
>> On behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation, please know that she is in our
>> thoughts and that the community has our condolences.
>>
>> Katherine
>>
>> PS. I encourage you to learn more about Mrs. Merzeau and her life from her
>> article on French Wikipedia:  https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Merzeau

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimédia France

Yaroslav Blanter
Yes, I figured this out, thanks. Now copyediting.

Cheers
Yaroslav

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 5:51 PM, Natacha Rault <[hidden email]> wrote:

> probably me...
> > Le 26 juil. 2017 à 17:49, Yaroslav Blanter <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> > Actually, after Catherine's mail, an English article was started by
> someone
> > I can not recognize from the username.
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Merzeau
> >
> > Cheers
> > Yaroslav
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Katherine Maher <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Dear Édouard and our other colleagues at Wikimédia France,
> >>
> >> We are sorry to hear about the passing of Mrs. Louise Merzeau. While I
> did
> >> not have a chance to meet her, I understand she was an advocate for the
> >> Commons movement and a leading academic on digital identities and the
> >> relationship between technology and culture. I suspect we would have
> gotten
> >> along well.
> >>
> >> Although she did not get to share her knowledge longer, we are grateful
> for
> >> the contributions she made. I have no doubt Wikimedia would have
> benefited
> >> greatly from her continued advocacy.
> >>
> >> I recognize with everything that is going on, an event like this can
> >> quickly pass by without enough notice and tribute from all of us.
> However,
> >> I hope we can pause to recognize that, above all, we are people who have
> >> come together under a shared vision for a better future. The passion and
> >> bond that unites us are much stronger than any disagreements or
> challenges.
> >> Louise was a part of that vision, and we owe it to her to recognize her
> >> passing.
> >>
> >> On behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation, please know that she is in our
> >> thoughts and that the community has our condolences.
> >>
> >> Katherine
> >>
> >> PS. I encourage you to learn more about Mrs. Merzeau and her life from
> her
> >> article on French Wikipedia:  https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> Louise_Merzeau

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimédia France

Pierre-Selim
The passing of Louise is really sad :(

On the other fronts, Edouard it feels like you're not telling things the way
they really are.

"The board acknowledge..." means the board has been forced to a new AGM by
25%
of the member. Our bylaws dictate that.

The board has published a shameful "Right of reply" [1], full of
inexact/false
statements that are on the same line than the email sent by the board
on July 11th (and shared here by Chris [2]).
This Right of reply even "use" Louise passing ... For shame!

In an uncollaborative way, the board has not listen to the community/member
for
the agenda which forces the members to a new vote [3] to add items to the
agenda
... during the summer ... and Wikimania.

I hope the board will have again to "Acknowlege" the voice of the
community,
but I wish we did not had to go this way.

I am truly ashamed of this board,

[1] https://www.mathisbenguigui.eu/wikimedia-timeline/droitdereponse.html
[2] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2017-July/088008.html
[3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimédia_France/
Assemblée_générale/septembre_2017/Points_à_ajouter_à_l'ordre_du_jour

> Yes, I figured this out, thanks. Now copyediting.
>
> Cheers
> Yaroslav
>
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 5:51 PM, Natacha Rault <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > probably me...
> > > Le 26 juil. 2017 à 17:49, Yaroslav Blanter <[hidden email]> a écrit
> :
> > >
> > > Actually, after Catherine's mail, an English article was started by
> > someone
> > > I can not recognize from the username.
> > >
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Merzeau
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > Yaroslav

> > did
> the
> > gotten

> grateful
> > for
> > benefited

> > However,
> have
> and
> > challenges.
> her

> > her
> > Louise_Merzeau

Pierre-Selim

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimédia France

Rémi Mathis
Dear all,

As a member - and former chair - of Wikimedia France, this kind of message
really hurts my feelings and I still wonder why they can be posted on
international mailing lists.
We are supposed to act as responsible adults and work together so that the
chapters can manage projects... and I keep thinking we are pretty good at
it.

I don't want to read "shame", "false statement", "use Louise passing",
"uncollaborative way".
Both because it's a very agressive way to talk to human beings, because
it's misleading people about what's going on, and because it's simply not
true.

A few French wkipedians are not happy with the board and some of the
employees. They are about 25-30% of Wikimedia France members and asked for
a General Meeting - which will take place in September.
Some of their concerns can be understood, but some of those wikipedians
began to accuse the board of squandering money without any ground for it
(there have been two audits within the past few years and all the
accounts/expenses are audited yearly, published and commented to the
members), to go and see former employee's bosses to stalk them, to spread
rumours on their sexuality, to report members of the board to their own
boss etc. This is going mad. Really mad.

This is not "the community", Pierre-Selim, I'm sorry.
This is a few people, for various reasons, usualy very personal and very
bad ones. And those people refuse to acknowledge reality, even when the
board explains everything, even when lawyers explains what can and cannot
be done within a chapter.

I'm really worried about the behaviour of those people, and the future of
Wikimedia France - since the harassment could lead to prosecution from
employees.

Best,

Rémi

> From: Pierre-Selim <[hidden email]>
> Date: 2 August 2017 at 20:09
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimédia France
>

> The passing of Louise is really sad :(
>
> On the other fronts, Edouard it feels like you're not telling things the
> way
> they really are.
>
> "The board acknowledge..." means the board has been forced to a new AGM by
> 25%
> of the member. Our bylaws dictate that.
>
> The board has published a shameful "Right of reply" [1], full of
> inexact/false
> statements that are on the same line than the email sent by the board
> on July 11th (and shared here by Chris [2]).
> This Right of reply even "use" Louise passing ... For shame!
>
> In an uncollaborative way, the board has not listen to the community/member
> for
> the agenda which forces the members to a new vote [3] to add items to the
> agenda
> ... during the summer ... and Wikimania.
>
> I hope the board will have again to "Acknowlege" the voice of the
> community,
> but I wish we did not had to go this way.
>
> I am truly ashamed of this board,
>
> [1] https://www.mathisbenguigui.eu/wikimedia-timeline/droitdereponse.html
> [2] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2017-July/
> 088008.html
> [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimédia_France/
> Assemblée_générale/septembre_2017/Points_à_ajouter_à_l'ordre_du_jour

> > Yes, I figured this out, thanks. Now copyediting.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Yaroslav
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 5:51 PM, Natacha Rault <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > probably me...
> écrit
> > :

> > > someone

> [hidden email]

> While I
> > > did
> > the
> the
> > > gotten

> > grateful
> > > for
> > > benefited

> > > However,
> > have
> > and
> > > challenges.
> > her

> our

> from
> > > her
> > > Louise_Merzeau
> > ,
> bscribe>

> Pierre-Selim

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimédia France

Florence Devouard-6
The current situation at Wikimedia France is ABSOLUTE NON SENSE

After MONTHS spent trying to figure out what was going on, collecting
data, finding witnesses, fighting fears of being sued...
we succeeded to mobilize 25% of Wikimedia France members to vote to
request a General Assembly. That was a challenge. It took us several
weeks to achieve that.

Now... the General Assembly is scheduled 9th of September. But per
bylawys, the current board decides of the agenda of the meeting. Topics
not on the agenda can not lead to any votes... Being generous (sarcasm
on), the current board will open the floor for discussion AFTER the
General Assembly. Which somehow defeats the whole process as the
discussion should occur BEFORE the vote. Also, some of us would like
some resolutions to be voted upon, such as request of a financial audit...

According to our bylaws, discussion points and decisions propositions
may be made by the members and will be added to the agenda IF at least
25% of the membership ask for them. And this should be approved one
month before the actual assembly. Which is just in a few days...

But to make things easier for us...
* some members memberships requests and renewals were rejected, thus
decreasing the number of potential voters. Of course, the memberships
rejected were from opponents to the current board... who would have
voted for the new agenda...
* in the same time (2 weeks...), the membership increased from 275 to
300 members. No idea who those 25 new members are. But increased number
of members is making it even tougher to reach the 75 votes to request
additions to the agenda.
* the main mailing list of the association is still closed... which
means we can NOT reach out to ALL members. We have no means to contact
them. I managed to get a public list opened just a few days before the
closure of the internal mailing list and to send a call for
registration. So the most active members actually joined that public
list and are within reach. But all the other members... the ones who did
not reach to that new public list... we have NO MEANS to contact them.
How are we supposed to get members to be given the chance to vote on an
agenda when they do not KNOW about this agenda ? We can't tell them
about it.

How serious and honest from our current board is that ? This is beyond
shameful behavior.

So, friends, I would like to ask you help.

If by any chance, you joined the association in the past 2 weeks...
please vote.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimédia_France/Assemblée_générale/septembre_2017/Points_à_ajouter_à_l%27ordre_du_jour

Please, do realy our call in your network.

If you know anyone who might by chance be a member of Wikimedia France,
please tell them about the vote. It is here :
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimédia_France/Assemblée_générale/septembre_2017/Points_à_ajouter_à_l%27ordre_du_jour

Or RELAY in social networks. For example that tweet
https://twitter.com/photos_floues/status/892731233784008704

Or DROP A WORD to current board members and tell them about how wrong
they behave by not giving a chance to democracy
Something like "please inform all Wikimedia France members about the
vote opened for the new agenda : "

The current board members
* Secretary : https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:EdouardHue
* the President : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utilisateur:Authueil
* the vice President : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utilisatrice:AlienSpoon
* The treasurer : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utilisateur:Floflo
* and the former president who is now regular member:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:ShreCk

Thanks

Florence

Le 02/08/2017 à 20:09, Pierre-Selim a écrit :

> The passing of Louise is really sad :(
>
> On the other fronts, Edouard it feels like you're not telling things the way
> they really are.
>
> "The board acknowledge..." means the board has been forced to a new AGM by
> 25%
> of the member. Our bylaws dictate that.
>
> The board has published a shameful "Right of reply" [1], full of
> inexact/false
> statements that are on the same line than the email sent by the board
> on July 11th (and shared here by Chris [2]).
> This Right of reply even "use" Louise passing ... For shame!
>
> In an uncollaborative way, the board has not listen to the community/member
> for
> the agenda which forces the members to a new vote [3] to add items to the
> agenda
> ... during the summer ... and Wikimania.
>
> I hope the board will have again to "Acknowlege" the voice of the
> community,
> but I wish we did not had to go this way.
>
> I am truly ashamed of this board,
>
> [1] https://www.mathisbenguigui.eu/wikimedia-timeline/droitdereponse.html
> [2] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2017-July/088008.html
> [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimédia_France/
> Assemblée_générale/septembre_2017/Points_à_ajouter_à_l'ordre_du_jour

>> Yes, I figured this out, thanks. Now copyediting.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Yaroslav
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 5:51 PM, Natacha Rault <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> probably me...
>> :

>>> someone

>>> did
>> the
>>> gotten

>> grateful
>>> for
>>> benefited

>>> However,
>> have
>> and
>>> challenges.
>> her

>>> her
>>> Louise_Merzeau

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimédia France

Florence Devouard-6
And for the sake of proper understanding... Rémi Mathis is the husband
of the current vice-chair of Wikimedia France.

Nuff said.

Florence

Le 03/08/2017 à 12:17, Rémi Mathis a écrit :

> [...]
>> [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimédia_France/
>> Assemblée_générale/septembre_2017/Points_à_ajouter_à_l'ordre_du_jour

>>> Yes, I figured this out, thanks. Now copyediting.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Yaroslav

>> écrit
>>> :

>> [hidden email]

>> While I
>>> the
>> the

>>> grateful

>>> have
>>> and
>>> her

>> our

>> from
>>> ,
>> bscribe>

>> --
>> Pierre-Selim

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimédia France

Chris Keating-2
> A few French wkipedians are not happy with the board and some of the
> employees. They are about 25-30% of Wikimedia France members

To be honest, 25-30% of WMFR members is quite a lot. And, don't
forget, include roughly half of the Wikimedia France Board elected at
the last General Assembly.

This isn't the first governance crisis in the Wikimedia movement (WMF
and other chapters have certainly had them) but it is probably the
biggest and most long-drawn-out.

> And those people refuse to acknowledge reality, even when the
> board explains everything, even when lawyers explains what can and cannot be done within a chapter.

To my mind the board's "explanations" are part of the problem. Reading
the statements from WMFR about the FDC process, or their emails to
members or their response to the timeline - it's all about how WMFR
has never been wrong about anything. All the criticism is wrong (and
probably a conspiracy). WMFR's board has been doing the only thing
they could possibly have done. All of this is repeated again and
again.

That is a dysfunctional response to the situation. A significant part
of the French Wikimedia community has lost confidence in WMFR. The
Board should be working to restore that confidence, and the more it
denies the problem is real, the worse the result will be.

Regards,

Chris

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimédia France

James Salsman-2
Can Katherine Maher as Foundation Executive Director decide and
announce a new policy that the continuation of the WMFR Charter is
contingent on the September General Assembly agenda including
particular items which they may not otherwise be inclined to agendas,
please?

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 6:33 PM, Devouard (gmail) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> I hope the board will have again to "Acknowlege" the voice of the
>> community,
>> but I wish we did not had to go this way.
>>
>> I am truly ashamed of this board,
>>
>> [1] https://www.mathisbenguigui.eu/wikimedia-timeline/droitdereponse.html
>> [2]
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2017-July/088008.html
>> [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimédia_France/
>> Assemblée_générale/septembre_2017/Points_à_ajouter_à_l'ordre_du_jour

>>> Yes, I figured this out, thanks. Now copyediting.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Yaroslav

>>> :

>>> the

>>> grateful

>>> have

>>> and

>>> her

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimédia France

This is typically the kind agressive behaviour we don't need right now.
Everybody in the chapter knows that Marie-Alice Mathis and Rémi Mathis are
wife and husband, it has always been clearly stated and we always refused
to be at the board at the same time to avoid conflicts of interest.

Now what? Do you think I can't have opinions of my own because I'm not a
member of the board, or she can't have because she's a manipulated woman?
We are *two individuals* and we do have *two brains*. This kind of
allegations are not acceptable and the smugness of "Nuff said" really
hurtful!

I am an ordinary member... but I think I have a certain experience of
what's going on
1/ as a long-time member of the board (2009-2014) and chair (2011-2014),
who hired most of the employees, managed them, organized a lot of what made
Wikimedia France one of the biggest and most sucessful chapters... and a
member still really involved in the life of the community
2/ as someone, yes, who sees her wife spending hours every night, trying to
explain things to people who don't want to hear or understand. Like, you
know, when you ask a question about a fact, I answer to you with a
*checkable fact*. And you answer "I don't agree" (not even "it's not true",
because everybody could check that, but "I don't agree")...

I can't even understand why you post things like at all, but even less on
an international list where people don't know what happens and, for most of
them, can't read French.
This really makes me sad and frustrated

Rémi

On 3 August 2017 at 12:47, Devouard (gmail) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> for
>>> the agenda which forces the members to a new vote [3] to add items to the
>>> agenda
>>> ... during the summer ... and Wikimania.
>>>
>>> I hope the board will have again to "Acknowlege" the voice of the
>>> community,
>>> but I wish we did not had to go this way.
>>>
>>> I am truly ashamed of this board,
>>>
>>> [1] https://www.mathisbenguigui.eu/wikimedia-timeline/droitderep
>>> onse.html
>>> [2] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2017-July/
>>> 088008.html
>>> [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimédia_France/
>>> Assemblée_générale/septembre_2017/Points_à_ajouter_à_l'ordre_du_jour

>>> Yes, I figured this out, thanks. Now copyediting.

>>> --
>>> Pierre-Selim

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimédia France

Ting Chen-2
Hello dear all,

at first I would object that the Foundation do such a thing, even as a
denkexperiment. This may be seen as an easy way to react on a crisis but
this opens doors for misuse of power. In a different situation, a
different time, with a different WMF board and ED, this can open a door
to do a lot of harm to the movement.

Second, @Florence and other WMFR members: If the chapter is really
beyond repair, I think a better way is to create a new organization,
join as a user group. This can lead in a few possible outcomes:

- The old chapter could struggle and lose further ground, lose funding,
missing reports, etc. which at some time will also lead to lose of
chapter status. The new user group, if it performs well, can then apply
for the chapter status

- The old chapter can reform itself, regain its foot step, and come back
in course.

The point is, you can be member of both the old and the new organization
/ group, they don't exclude each other. With the new group you can also
create pressure from outside to get the old chapter back in course.

I believe this is the more ordered way to get a better solution. It
certainly is the longer and more difficult way. But the dark side of the
force is always easier and quicker.

Greetings

Ting

Am 03.08.2017 um 13:10 schrieb James Salsman:

> [...]
>>>
>>> I hope the board will have again to "Acknowlege" the voice of the
>>> community,
>>> but I wish we did not had to go this way.
>>>
>>> I am truly ashamed of this board,
>>>
>>> [1] https://www.mathisbenguigui.eu/wikimedia-timeline/droitdereponse.html
>>> [2]
>>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2017-July/088008.html
>>> [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimédia_France/
>>> Assemblée_générale/septembre_2017/Points_à_ajouter_à_l'ordre_du_jour

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimédia France

Rémi Mathis
> To be honest, 25-30% of WMFR members is quite a lot. And, don't
> forget, include roughly half of the Wikimedia France Board elected at
> the last General Assembly.
>
> This isn't the first governance crisis in the Wikimedia movement (WMF
> and other chapters have certainly had them) but it is probably the

Of course, it's quite a lot: that's why a special meeting is scheduled to
discuss of all that and the biggest part of the discussion will be driven
by the people who are not happy.
But still, 70-75% of the members are happy with the organisation and never
ask them anything, nobody tries to listen to them. We should try to include
everyone, even the shy ones, even those who just work and don't consider
themselves as potentiol bosses... not only the few who knows who to talk
to, where to write, to have their personal wills fulfilled

And you are totally right, this is not the first crisis; this is actually
the point.
Every two years, some people complain and ask question about the general
strategy: should the organisation grow or not, what should be the relations
between employees and members, what are the main goals, etc. Then everybody
work together to build a strategic plan, to take decisions ; the plan is
implemented... and two years after that those who weren't happy at that
time, some new members, etc. want to begin from scratch one more time. It's
very hard to have a long-term strategy and developpment if there is no
trust in what members have done before. And it's above all a real problem
for the employees who can never be sure their job won't be at risk a few
months after.

> > And those people refuse to acknowledge reality, even when the
> > board explains everything, even when lawyers explains what can and
> cannot be done within a chapter.
>
> To my mind the board's "explanations" are part of the problem. Reading
> the statements from WMFR about the FDC process, or their emails to
> members or their response to the timeline - it's all about how WMFR
> has never been wrong about anything. All the criticism is wrong (and
> probably a conspiracy). WMFR's board has been doing the only thing
> they could possibly have done. All of this is repeated again and
> again.
>
> That is a dysfunctional response to the situation. A significant part
> of the French Wikimedia community has lost confidence in WMFR. The
> Board should be working to restore that confidence, and the more it
> denies the problem is real, the worse the result will be.

Well, the problem is that... it's not really clear what the problem is...
They always talk about "what happens", "the situation"... but it's very
hard to understand what specific problem there is. I mean, to have another
answer than "a gouvernance problem" and another ideas than "we should fire
the director, another employee and ask the board to resign".
The people organizing the next general meeting want an audit... but there
have been two in a few months, and we are waiting for the conclusion of the
Foundation (some people came in Paris a few weeks ago): what new can an
audit find?
They want to create a commission against conflits of interest... but it
already exist (within the board, it can be widened, I totally agree) and
some of their leaders precisely left because they wouldn't sign the conflit
of interest statement!
They want to reinstate not only the people whose admission have been
refused but all the members who have been excluded... but no member have
ever been excluded!

It's really hard to speak and be understood (once more, Anthere asks a
question about something she doesn't know, about a fact; I answer to her
with the very fact, and she says "I don't agree". What can you answer to
that?)
I think everybody counted on the Foundation mission to facilitate the
dialogue, we really hope it will happen.

And anyway, I think most of the board cannot deal with the harasment
anymore and will resign. This is just a terrible waste of energy, good will
and work. Back to 2008... with a lot of frustration from those who gave a
lot of free time and competence to the development of the chapter

> Regards,
>
> Chris

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimédia France

Gabriel Thullen
I will bi going to the September 9 GA, and for the moment I still am a
member of Wikimedia France.
I am posting here in spite of the risk, because I want to set a few things
straight.

25% of the French chapter asked for this GA knowing full well that the
annual GA was scheduled a month later in October. A few of the most vocal
opponents have been expelled from the chapter, some of them for failure to
pay their dues before the deadline. Other active French wikipedians have
had their admission refused. In spite of all that, a quarter of the members
asked to hold this extra GA. I my experience, this is a serious crisis and
the current French chapter leadership cannot ignore that fact.

We cannot immediately qualify any dissenting as "aggressive behavior" or
"harassment". It has become quite impossible for current members to express
their views for fear of being expelled from the chapter, or being accused
of harassing the chapter president or senior staff - I do make a
distinction between the ED and the staff who are having a hard time and who
work under the risk of being fired if they refuse to obey orders (like what
has just happened to Jules). We all are very appreciative and thankful for
the work done by the "employees", we are quite critical of the ED.

Florence is quite right about being concerned about the very sudden
increase in membership, and I fully suspect that these new members will be
at the GA in September. Before being involved in Wikimedia, I was quite
involved in labor unions (and still am), so I have seen this type of
maneuvering before. It makes me quite sad to see this happen to a Wikimedia
Chapter, but that is probably because I am much too much of an idealist.

I will quote Rémi Mathis:
"This is a few people, for various reasons, usualy very personal and very
bad ones. And those people refuse to acknowledge reality, even when the
board explains everything, even when lawyers explains what can and cannot
be done within a chapter.

I'm really worried about the behaviour of those people, and the future of
Wikimedia France - since the harassment could lead to prosecution from
employees."

For one, I think that Rémi should steer clear of this type of discussion,
because he has a very clear COI. Sorry Rémi, you are not an "ordinary
member".
Now what really disturbs me is that Rémi tries to discredit the members who
are asking for a GA by implying that they have an agenda, that they are
very few, and that they "refuse to acknowledge reality". As a labor union
leader, I have had exactly the same accusations leveled at me. And I hope
that Rémi knows what he is talking about when he speaks of harassment,
because I have never experienced a case where one of the labor unions I
worked with had to pay a company executive compensation for "harassment".

Best regards
Gabe

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Rémi Mathis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> boss etc. This is going mad. Really mad.
> >>
> >> This is not "the community", Pierre-Selim, I'm sorry.
> >> This is a few people, for various reasons, usualy very personal and very
> >> bad ones. And those people refuse to acknowledge reality, even when the
> >> board explains everything, even when lawyers explains what can and
> cannot
> >> be done within a chapter.
> >>
> >> I'm really worried about the behaviour of those people, and the future
> of
> >> Wikimedia France - since the harassment could lead to prosecution from
> >> employees.
> >>
> >> Best,
> >>
> >> Rémi

> the

> the

> can

> ,

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimédia France

Correct Ting

At the moment, we are still in the hopes of saving it.
I do not think losing the chapter agreement at the moment would be helpful.

Flo