[Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimedia site and system outages

[Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimedia site and system outages

Heather Walls
Hello everyone,

By now you are likely aware that the Wikimedia sites suffered from a
relatively significant botnet driven DDOS attack on September 6th, taking
them offline in several countries throughout the day. This primarily
affected Wikipedia access in Europe and the Middle East. We posted a short
update of the event on our website.[1]

I would like to thank everyone who stepped up to support the restoration of
our projects, including the fast reporting of community members throughout
the world and our security and engineering teams who worked long hours to
address many complex issues surrounding the attack and our response—the
Site Reliability Engineering team in particular.

The Wikimedia Foundation leadership team is proud to work with such
talented and dedicated staff and supporters.

Yours,
Heather

1.
https://wikimediafoundation.org/news/2019/09/07/malicious-attack-on-wikipedia-what-we-know-and-what-were-doing/

"Today, Wikipedia was hit with a malicious attack that has taken it offline
in several countries for intermittent periods. The attack is ongoing and
our Site Reliability Engineering team is working hard to stop it and
restore access to the site.

As one of the world’s most popular sites, Wikipedia sometimes attracts “bad
faith” actors. Along with the rest of the web, we operate in an
increasingly sophisticated and complex environment where threats are
continuously evolving. Because of this, the Wikimedia communities and
Wikimedia Foundation have created dedicated systems and staff to regularly
monitor and address risks. If a problem occurs, we learn, we improve, and
we prepare to be better for next time.

We condemn these sorts of attacks. They’re not just about taking Wikipedia
offline. Takedown attacks threaten everyone’s fundamental rights to freely
access and share information. We in the Wikimedia movement and Foundation
are committed to protecting these rights for everyone.

Right now, we’re continuing to work to restore access wherever you might be
reading Wikipedia in the world. We’ll keep you posted."

--

Heather Walls (she/her)

Chief Creative Officer
Wikimedia Foundation
https://wikimediafoundation.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimedia site and system outages

RhinosF1 Wikipedia
Well done everyone involved!

On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 at 00:26, Heather Walls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> By now you are likely aware that the Wikimedia sites suffered from a
> relatively significant botnet driven DDOS attack on September 6th, taking
> them offline in several countries throughout the day. This primarily
> affected Wikipedia access in Europe and the Middle East. We posted a short
> update of the event on our website.[1]
>
> I would like to thank everyone who stepped up to support the restoration of
> our projects, including the fast reporting of community members throughout
> the world and our security and engineering teams who worked long hours to
> address many complex issues surrounding the attack and our response—the
> Site Reliability Engineering team in particular.
>
> The Wikimedia Foundation leadership team is proud to work with such
> talented and dedicated staff and supporters.
>
> Yours,
> Heather
>

> 1.
>
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/news/2019/09/07/malicious-attack-on-wikipedia-what-we-know-and-what-were-doing/
>
> "Today, Wikipedia was hit with a malicious attack that has taken it offline
> in several countries for intermittent periods. The attack is ongoing and
> our Site Reliability Engineering team is working hard to stop it and
> restore access to the site.
>
> As one of the world’s most popular sites, Wikipedia sometimes attracts “bad
> faith” actors. Along with the rest of the web, we operate in an
> increasingly sophisticated and complex environment where threats are
> continuously evolving. Because of this, the Wikimedia communities and
> Wikimedia Foundation have created dedicated systems and staff to regularly
> monitor and address risks. If a problem occurs, we learn, we improve, and
> we prepare to be better for next time.
>
> We condemn these sorts of attacks. They’re not just about taking Wikipedia
> offline. Takedown attacks threaten everyone’s fundamental rights to freely
> access and share information. We in the Wikimedia movement and Foundation
> are committed to protecting these rights for everyone.
>
> Right now, we’re continuing to work to restore access wherever you might be
> reading Wikipedia in the world. We’ll keep you posted."
>

> --
>
> Heather Walls (she/her)
>
> Chief Creative Officer
> Wikimedia Foundation
> https://wikimediafoundation.org

RhinosF1
Miraheze Volunteer

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimedia site and system outages

Heather Walls
Hello again,

As a follow-up to my last note on the September 6th DDoS attack, we wanted
to provide you with an update. There have been no further attacks in the
last week and our sites are now running normally. Our SRE team is
continuing to monitor the situation.

Based on what we learned in this attack, our security and engineering teams
are researching and putting together plans for more protection of our
infrastructure to address any potential attacks in the future.

We appreciate everyone’s support, particularly the folks on the SRE team,
in helping to restore access.

Yours,
Heather

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 4:25 PM Heather Walls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> By now you are likely aware that the Wikimedia sites suffered from a
> relatively significant botnet driven DDOS attack on September 6th, taking
> them offline in several countries throughout the day. This primarily
> affected Wikipedia access in Europe and the Middle East. We posted a short
> update of the event on our website.[1]
>
> I would like to thank everyone who stepped up to support the restoration
> of our projects, including the fast reporting of community members
> throughout the world and our security and engineering teams who worked long
> hours to address many complex issues surrounding the attack and our
> response—the Site Reliability Engineering team in particular.
>
> The Wikimedia Foundation leadership team is proud to work with such
> talented and dedicated staff and supporters.
>
> Yours,
> Heather
>

> 1.
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/news/2019/09/07/malicious-attack-on-wikipedia-what-we-know-and-what-were-doing/
>
> "Today, Wikipedia was hit with a malicious attack that has taken it
> offline in several countries for intermittent periods. The attack is
> ongoing and our Site Reliability Engineering team is working hard to stop
> it and restore access to the site.
>
> As one of the world’s most popular sites, Wikipedia sometimes attracts
> “bad faith” actors. Along with the rest of the web, we operate in an
> increasingly sophisticated and complex environment where threats are
> continuously evolving. Because of this, the Wikimedia communities and
> Wikimedia Foundation have created dedicated systems and staff to regularly
> monitor and address risks. If a problem occurs, we learn, we improve, and
> we prepare to be better for next time.
>
> We condemn these sorts of attacks. They’re not just about taking Wikipedia
> offline. Takedown attacks threaten everyone’s fundamental rights to freely
> access and share information. We in the Wikimedia movement and Foundation
> are committed to protecting these rights for everyone.
>
> Right now, we’re continuing to work to restore access wherever you might
> be reading Wikipedia in the world. We’ll keep you posted."
>

> --
>
> Heather Walls (she/her)
>
> Chief Creative Officer
> Wikimedia Foundation
> https://wikimediafoundation.org

--

Heather Walls (she/her)

Chief Creative Officer

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimedia site and system outages

RhinosF1 Wikipedia
Any idea of when an incident report may come out?

RhinosF1
Wikimedia User & Incident Reporter

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 at 00:29, Heather Walls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > we prepare to be better for next time.
> >
> > We condemn these sorts of attacks. They’re not just about taking
> Wikipedia
> > offline. Takedown attacks threaten everyone’s fundamental rights to
> freely
> > access and share information. We in the Wikimedia movement and Foundation
> > are committed to protecting these rights for everyone.
> >
> > Right now, we’re continuing to work to restore access wherever you might
> > be reading Wikipedia in the world. We’ll keep you posted."
> >

> > --
> >
> > Heather Walls (she/her)
> >
> > Chief Creative Officer
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > https://wikimediafoundation.org
> >

> --
>
> Heather Walls (she/her)
>
> Chief Creative Officer

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimedia site and system outages

Benjamin Ikuta

I am also curious about this.

> [...]
>>>
>>> We condemn these sorts of attacks. They’re not just about taking
>> Wikipedia
>>> offline. Takedown attacks threaten everyone’s fundamental rights to
>> freely
>>> access and share information. We in the Wikimedia movement and Foundation
>>> are committed to protecting these rights for everyone.
>>>
>>> Right now, we’re continuing to work to restore access wherever you might
>>> be reading Wikipedia in the world. We’ll keep you posted."
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Heather Walls (she/her)
>>>
>>> Chief Creative Officer
>>> Wikimedia Foundation
>>> https://wikimediafoundation.org
>>>

>> --
>>
>> Heather Walls (she/her)
>>
>> Chief Creative Officer
>>
>> Wikimedia Foundation <https://wikimediafoundation.org/>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimedia site and system outages

Hi everyone,

We hope to have something for you in the next few weeks.

Regards,
Heather