[Wikimedia-l] Update on recruiting for the Chief of Community

[Wikimedia-l] Update on recruiting for the Chief of Community

Katherine Maher
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I sent out a Wikimedia-l email, but I wanted to
share an update on the Chief of Community role, which has been open for
some time. I also wanted to share some good news about Maggie Dennis, our
interim chief.

***Chief of Community Engagement (CCE) search update** *

There is a lot of movement afoot in the recruitment process for our new
CCE. We have finished interviewing the first round of candidates presented
to us by Perrett Laver. Of the six candidates we interviewed, four are
under consideration. Maggie and I have already spoken with all the
candidates, as have Katy Love and Ben Vershbow, representing the Community
Engagement department; Eileen Hershenov and Toby Negrin, representing the
Foundation leadership team and key department stakeholders, and María
Sefidari, representing a Board and community perspective. I’m thrilled to
report that we’ve got a great, highly diverse pool of candidates from
around the world.

Here is an update on our expectations for the remaining steps:

   - November/Decmeber: Final candidates will participate in team
   interviews on-site and remotely.
   - Timeline: We hope to have our new CCE in the role at the beginning of
   the 2019 calendar year.

***Interim CCE, Maggie Dennis, retroactively promoted to CCE***

As most folks know, Maggie Dennis has served as interim CCE for the last
two and a half years. As Maggie likes to point out, she's actually been the
longest-serving CCE we've ever had, interim or not! She took a
rollercoaster ride to get there, going from senior manager to a director to
a c-level in one short year.

Maggie assumed leadership of the CE department as a trusted, long-time
Wikimedia Foundation colleague and even longer-time Wikipedian. She’s
provided deeply appreciated leadership for her department, mentorship for
her direct reports, and a cool head for all things community. She’s been a
fantastic friend and partner on the Foundation leadership team, and a total
joy to work with as we’ve worked on movement strategy and started the
search for a new chief.

But two and a half years is a long time to serve as interim!  Fun fact, you
can gestate an entire baby elephant in that period. True fact.[1] It’s on
(En but probably others) Wikipedia. Elephants are amazing[2], and so is
Maggie, and her efforts and leadership deserve that recognition. As such,
we are retroactively changing her title from Interim Chief of Community
Engagement to Chief of Community Engagement. I hope you’ll agree with me
that this change in title more accurately reflects her contribution to the
Foundation and to the movement.

Maggie will continue to serve as CCE until the recruitment process has
concluded. At that point, she’ll transition into her role as Vice President
of Support & Services–-with much relief, I suspect.

Please join me in congratulating Maggie!
Katherine

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_bush_elephant#Reproduction
[2]
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Elephant_selfies#/media/File:LatabeElephantSelfPortrait.jpg
--
Katherine Maher

Executive Director
Wikimedia Foundation
1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
San Francisco, CA 94104

+1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
+1 (415) 712 4873
[hidden email]
https://annual.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on recruiting for the Chief of Community

Pine W
Putting our differences aside for a minute, one thing for which Maggie will have my eternal appreciation is her stepping into her current role during a time of higher-than-average chaos. I don't know how that felt from inside of WMF, but from my perspective that appeared to be generous and courageous.

Thanks for the update, Katherine.

Pine
null

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on recruiting for the Chief of Community

Philippe Beaudette-4
There are no words for how fantastic Maggie is - personally, and to work
with.  Katherine, you've done the right thing here, and I'm thrilled to see
it.

Philippe