[Wikimedia-l] Using the Wikipedia logo for Wikimedia South Africa projects

[Wikimedia-l] Using the Wikipedia logo for Wikimedia South Africa projects

David Richfield
Hi,

We are working with the City of Johannesburg to tag heritage sites, in
a project called JoburgpediA.  The proposed logo has the Wikipedia
Globe as one of the elements: is this acceptable?  Also, if we will be
putting up plaques which include the Wikipedia logo on buildings, what
approval do we need?

David Richfield
[[:en:User:Slashme]]
+27718539985

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Using the Wikipedia logo for Wikimedia South Africa projects

Abbas Mahmood
David,
You should probably contact Jay Walsh or any one from WMF Legal and ask for permission.
Abbas.

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 08:22:31 +0200
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Using the Wikipedia logo for Wikimedia South Africa projects
>
> Hi,
>
> We are working with the City of Johannesburg to tag heritage sites, in
> a project called JoburgpediA.  The proposed logo has the Wikipedia
> Globe as one of the elements: is this acceptable?  Also, if we will be
> putting up plaques which include the Wikipedia logo on buildings, what
> approval do we need?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> David Richfield
> [[:en:User:Slashme]]
> +27718539985

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Using the Wikipedia logo for Wikimedia South Africa projects

David Richfield
Thanks, I have forwarded the request to him directly.

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Abbas Mahmood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David,
> You should probably contact Jay Walsh or any one from WMF Legal and ask for permission.
> Abbas.
>
>> From: [hidden email]
>> Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 08:22:31 +0200
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Using the Wikipedia logo for Wikimedia South Africa    projects
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are working with the City of Johannesburg to tag heritage sites, in
>> a project called JoburgpediA.  The proposed logo has the Wikipedia
>> Globe as one of the elements: is this acceptable?  Also, if we will be
>> putting up plaques which include the Wikipedia logo on buildings, what
>> approval do we need?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> David Richfield
>> [[:en:User:Slashme]]
>> +27718539985

David Richfield
[[:en:User:Slashme]]
+27718539985

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Using the Wikipedia logo for Wikimedia South Africa projects

Keegan Peterzell
On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 12:27 AM, Abbas Mahmood <[hidden email]>wrote:

> David,
> You should probably contact Jay Walsh or any one from WMF Legal and ask
> for permission.
> Abbas.

(I emailed David off-list)

Those are fail-safe followups, Jay and the legal team can and do review
those.  Within the past year or so the WMF legal team set up trademarks AT
wikimedia DOT org.  That's the best starting point of contact.  It's not a
very well-known address, but it's on the contact page somewhere.

Hope this helps for future requests here.

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Using the Wikipedia logo for Wikimedia South Africa projects

David Richfield
Thanks!  I'll forward the request to the trademarks address.

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Keegan Peterzell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 12:27 AM, Abbas Mahmood <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> David,
>> You should probably contact Jay Walsh or any one from WMF Legal and ask
>> for permission.
>> Abbas.
>>

> (I emailed David off-list)
>
> Those are fail-safe followups, Jay and the legal team can and do review
> those.  Within the past year or so the WMF legal team set up trademarks AT
> wikimedia DOT org.  That's the best starting point of contact.  It's not a
> very well-known address, but it's on the contact page somewhere.
>
> Hope this helps for future requests here.
>
> --
> ~Keegan
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

David Richfield
[[:en:User:Slashme]]
+27718539985

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Using the Wikipedia logo for Wikimedia South Africa projects

Asaf Bartov-2
That's right.  We should probably send a reminder/refresher to all chapters
and groups about this.  The address does appear in the [[wmf:Trademark
policy]] page.

And for further clarity -- WMZA need not be a party to the trademark
agreement, if it doesn't make sense.  The city of Johannesburg, or whatever
subsidiary body is actually producing and placing the plaques, is the
entity that needs permission, and the one that should seek it.  (WMZA can,
of course, help and advise!)

Cheers,

   A.

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM, David Richfield
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Thanks!  I'll forward the request to the trademarks address.
>
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Keegan Peterzell <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 12:27 AM, Abbas Mahmood <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
> >
> >> David,
> >> You should probably contact Jay Walsh or any one from WMF Legal and ask
> >> for permission.
> >> Abbas.
> >>

> > (I emailed David off-list)
> >
> > Those are fail-safe followups, Jay and the legal team can and do review
> > those.  Within the past year or so the WMF legal team set up trademarks
> AT
> > wikimedia DOT org.  That's the best starting point of contact.  It's not
> > very well-known address, but it's on the contact page somewhere.
> >
> > Hope this helps for future requests here.
> >
> > --
> > ~Keegan
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

> David Richfield