[Wikimedia-l] VIDEO: This is the Wikimedia Foundation & This is Wikipedia

[Wikimedia-l] VIDEO: This is the Wikimedia Foundation & This is Wikipedia

Victor Grigas
Hello everyone,

I just uploaded 2 videos here:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:This_is_the_Wikimedia_Foundation.webm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQzZI0l3IOw
https://vimeo.com/165444283

and here:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:This_is_Wikipedia.webm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gi129oEk0M
https://vimeo.com/165495822

Each is an attempt to explain the Wikimedia movement in under 2 minutes
through the lens of a fundraising appeal.

I'd like to be able to make more videos in this style (with burned-in
innertitles) in various languages, and I'd like to be able to collaborate
and create media with others to do that. I think the way to start that is
to draft a tutorial for how to make or fork these so that anyone could make
their own version, with their own messaging. This would probably live on
the WMF blog, and also on Meta.

If such a tutorial would be of interest to you, I'd love to chat - please
message me off list.

Thank you!

--

*Victor Grigas*
Storyteller <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/WPZeroPetition> and Video

Re: [Wikimedia-l] VIDEO: This is the Wikimedia Foundation & This is Wikipedia

Omar David Sandoval Sida-2
Nice video, thanks for sharing!

> Hello everyone,
>
> I just uploaded 2 videos here:
>

> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:This_is_the_Wikimedia_Foundation.webm
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQzZI0l3IOw
> https://vimeo.com/165444283
>
> and here:
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:This_is_Wikipedia.webm
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gi129oEk0M
> https://vimeo.com/165495822
>
> Each is an attempt to explain the Wikimedia movement in under 2 minutes
> through the lens of a fundraising appeal.
>
> I'd like to be able to make more videos in this style (with burned-in
> innertitles) in various languages, and I'd like to be able to collaborate
> and create media with others to do that. I think the way to start that is
> to draft a tutorial for how to make or fork these so that anyone could make
> their own version, with their own messaging. This would probably live on
> the WMF blog, and also on Meta.
>
> If such a tutorial would be of interest to you, I'd love to chat - please
> message me off list.
>
> Thank you!
>
> --
>
> *Victor Grigas*
> Storyteller <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/WPZeroPetition> and
> Video
> Content Producer
> Wikimedia Foundation
> [hidden email]
> https://donate.wikimedia.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] VIDEO: This is the Wikimedia Foundation & This is Wikipedia

Amir Sarabadani-2
This is super awesome. Thank you Victor!

Best

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 2:45 AM Omar David Sandoval Sida <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Nice video, thanks for sharing!

> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I just uploaded 2 videos here:
> >

> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:This_is_the_Wikimedia_Foundation.webm
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQzZI0l3IOw
> > https://vimeo.com/165444283
> >
> > and here:
> >
> > https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:This_is_Wikipedia.webm
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gi129oEk0M
> > https://vimeo.com/165495822
> >
> > Each is an attempt to explain the Wikimedia movement in under 2 minutes
> > through the lens of a fundraising appeal.
> >
> > I'd like to be able to make more videos in this style (with burned-in
> > innertitles) in various languages, and I'd like to be able to collaborate
> > and create media with others to do that. I think the way to start that is
> > to draft a tutorial for how to make or fork these so that anyone could
> make
> > their own version, with their own messaging. This would probably live on
> > the WMF blog, and also on Meta.
> >
> > If such a tutorial would be of interest to you, I'd love to chat - please
> > message me off list.
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > --
> >
> > *Victor Grigas*
> > Storyteller <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/WPZeroPetition> and
> > Video
> > Content Producer
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > [hidden email]
> > https://donate.wikimedia.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] VIDEO: This is the Wikimedia Foundation & This is Wikipedia

Àlex Hinojo
Hi victor! Great work!

would love to help translating these videos to Catalan and Spanish If needed!

Àlex Hinojo
[[User:Kippelboy]]

El 6 maig 2016, a les 0:26, Amir Ladsgroup <[hidden email]> va escriure:

> This is super awesome. Thank you Victor!
>
> Best
>
> On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 2:45 AM Omar David Sandoval Sida <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Nice video, thanks for sharing!

>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I just uploaded 2 videos here:
>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:This_is_the_Wikimedia_Foundation.webm
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQzZI0l3IOw
>>> https://vimeo.com/165444283
>>>
>>> and here:
>>>
>>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:This_is_Wikipedia.webm
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gi129oEk0M
>>> https://vimeo.com/165495822
>>>
>>> Each is an attempt to explain the Wikimedia movement in under 2 minutes
>>> through the lens of a fundraising appeal.
>>>
>>> I'd like to be able to make more videos in this style (with burned-in
>>> innertitles) in various languages, and I'd like to be able to collaborate
>>> and create media with others to do that. I think the way to start that is
>>> to draft a tutorial for how to make or fork these so that anyone could
>> make
>>> their own version, with their own messaging. This would probably live on
>>> the WMF blog, and also on Meta.
>>>
>>> If such a tutorial would be of interest to you, I'd love to chat - please
>>> message me off list.
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> *Victor Grigas*
>>> Storyteller <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/WPZeroPetition> and
>>> Video
>>> Content Producer
>>> Wikimedia Foundation
>>> [hidden email]
>>> https://donate.wikimedia.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] VIDEO: This is the Wikimedia Foundation & This is Wikipedia

Andrew Sherman
Hello,

Thank you for expressing an interest in translating these videos.

The English captions are now available for translation. You can find them
at the following links:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/TimedText:This_is_the_Wikimedia_Foundation.webm.en.srt
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/TimedText:This_is_Wikipedia.webm.en.srt

best,

Andrew

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 2:00 AM, Àlex Hinojo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi victor! Great work!
>
> would love to help translating these videos to Catalan and Spanish If
> needed!
>
> Àlex Hinojo
> [[User:Kippelboy]]
>
> El 6 maig 2016, a les 0:26, Amir Ladsgroup <[hidden email]> va
> escriure:
> > This is super awesome. Thank you Victor!
> >
> > Best
> >
> > On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 2:45 AM Omar David Sandoval Sida <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Nice video, thanks for sharing!

> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:This_is_the_Wikimedia_Foundation.webm

> collaborate
> is
> >> make
> on

> please

Andrew Sherman
Digital Communications Intern | Wikimedia Foundation

*E:* [hidden email]
*WMF:* ASherman (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:ASherman_(WMF)>
andrewsherman.work

Re: [Wikimedia-l] VIDEO: This is the Wikimedia Foundation & This is Wikipedia

Takashi OTA-3
Thanks Victor for sharing it. Awesome work.

I shared it on Facebook and got some re-sharing among friends,
including one of them saying "some friends says I will not donate
because the ads (on Wikipedia) looks scam, and I couldn't persuade them.
This video helps me (to explain them how the donation works)."

Thanks Andrew too for sharing an English .srt file.
This is HUGE help for me, to translate it to Japanese subtitles.

Will get prepared asap.

-- U:Takot (Takashi Ota)

2016年5月7日(土) 2:14 Andrew Sherman <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> Thank you for expressing an interest in translating these videos.
>
> The English captions are now available for translation. You can find them
> at the following links:
>

> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/TimedText:This_is_the_Wikimedia_Foundation.webm.en.srt
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/TimedText:This_is_Wikipedia.webm.en.srt
>
> best,
>
> Andrew
>

> On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 2:00 AM, Àlex Hinojo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi victor! Great work!
> >
> > would love to help translating these videos to Catalan and Spanish If
> > needed!
> >
> > Àlex Hinojo
> > [[User:Kippelboy]]
> >
> > El 6 maig 2016, a les 0:26, Amir Ladsgroup <[hidden email]> va
> > escriure:
> > > This is super awesome. Thank you Victor!
> > >
> > > Best
> > >
> > > On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 2:45 AM Omar David Sandoval Sida <
> > [hidden email]>

> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:This_is_the_Wikimedia_Foundation.webm

> minutes

> > collaborate
> that
> > is
> could
> > on

> > please

> and

> Andrew Sherman
> Digital Communications Intern | Wikimedia Foundation
>
> *E:* [hidden email]
> *WMF:* ASherman (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:ASherman_(WMF)
> >
> andrewsherman.work

Re: [Wikimedia-l] VIDEO: This is the Wikimedia Foundation & This is Wikipedia

Takashi OTA-3
To whom uploaded it on to YouTube:

I'm pleased if you enable "full-screen" when embedded (it seems not,
currently).
It is very important when I subtitle it on amara.org (and apparently
any other subtitling platform).

Thanks in advance,

--Takashi [[U:Takot]]

2016年5月7日(土) 11:17 Takashi OTA <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks Victor for sharing it. Awesome work.
>
> I shared it on Facebook and got some re-sharing among friends,
> including one of them saying "some friends says I will not donate
> because the ads (on Wikipedia) looks scam, and I couldn't persuade them.
> This video helps me (to explain them how the donation works)."
>
> Thanks Andrew too for sharing an English .srt file.
> This is HUGE help for me, to translate it to Japanese subtitles.
>
> Will get prepared asap.
>
> -- U:Takot (Takashi Ota)
>
> 2016年5月7日(土) 2:14 Andrew Sherman <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Thank you for expressing an interest in translating these videos.
>>
>> The English captions are now available for translation. You can find them
>> at the following links:
>>

>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/TimedText:This_is_the_Wikimedia_Foundation.webm.en.srt
>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/TimedText:This_is_Wikipedia.webm.en.srt
>>
>> best,
>>
>> Andrew
>>

>> On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 2:00 AM, Àlex Hinojo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi victor! Great work!
>> >
>> > would love to help translating these videos to Catalan and Spanish If
>> > needed!
>> >
>> > Àlex Hinojo
>> > [[User:Kippelboy]]
>> >
>> > El 6 maig 2016, a les 0:26, Amir Ladsgroup <[hidden email]> va
>> > escriure:

>> > [hidden email]>

>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:This_is_the_Wikimedia_Foundation.webm

>> minutes

>> burned-in
>> > collaborate
>> that
>> > is
>> could
>> live
>> > on

>> > please

>> and
>> >

>> --
>> Andrew Sherman
>> Digital Communications Intern | Wikimedia Foundation
>>
>> *E:* [hidden email]
>> *WMF:* ASherman (WMF) <
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:ASherman_(WMF)>
>> andrewsherman.work

Re: [Wikimedia-l] VIDEO: This is the Wikimedia Foundation & This is Wikipedia

Takashi OTA-3
For subtitles translators:

Uploaded Andrew's transcription on amara.org.

http://www.amara.org/en/videos/xEzAkDqhCaqb/en/1329538/

Now it got easier to make subtitles in other languages (and exporting
.srt files for uploading on to commons).

--Takashi [[U:Takot]]