[Wikimedia-l] Vendors and Transparency

Richard Ames
'Deals' and other 'preferential' arrangements can be easily avoided
....  The WMF can deal with others in public at competitive rates.

If the vendor wishes to make donations to the WMF they can do so and
get a tax deduction!

Regards, Richard.

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 12:43 PM, Andreas Kolbe <[hidden email]> wrote:
<snip>
> Transparency is a fundamental WMF value.
>
> Nobody here is talking about vendor agreements; at least I am not. I have
> no problem whatsoever with your scenario. If the WMF enters into an
> umbrella agreement or business deal with Google or whoever, then that is
> something the community should know. If the WMF gets computer hardware at a
> preferential rate, absolutely no one is interested in that.
>
> Andreas
<cut>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Vendors and Transparency

Jimmy Wales-4
On 2/29/16 6:15 PM, Richard Ames wrote:
> 'Deals' and other 'preferential' arrangements can be easily avoided
> ....  The WMF can deal with others in public at competitive rates.
>
> If the vendor wishes to make donations to the WMF they can do so and
> get a tax deduction!

It wasn't a great example, but I think most people got my basic
intention - things like standard boilerplate language to be signed by
all employees doesn't strike me as something in and of itself to be kept
private - there is a valid interest in showing that our policies are
fair and humane for employees, responsible in terms of the privacy of
personal information, etc.

And yet there are plenty of cases where things can and should be held
privately for a variety of very good reasons.