[Wikimedia-l] Visually impaired

rupert THURNER-2
Hi, would anybody of you have some starting points concerning wikipedia for
visually impaired persons, both computer and mobile devices?

Rupert

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Visually impaired

Stevie Benton
Hi Rupert,

Wikimedia UK is currently looking at this in relation to our own wiki.
There's some thoughts and notes at
https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Accessibility_of_the_Wikimedia_UK_website which
draw extensively from information provided by the Royal National Institute
of Blind People - http://www.rnib.org.uk/Pages/Home.aspx

I hope this is useful.

Stevie

On 15 January 2014 08:26, rupert THURNER <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, would anybody of you have some starting points concerning wikipedia for
> visually impaired persons, both computer and mobile devices?
>
> Rupert

Stevie Benton
Head of External Relations
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 20 7065 0993 / +44 (0) 7803 505 173
@StevieBenton

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a
global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the
Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

*Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal
control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Visually impaired

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
One obvious point to start is the functionality of the ULS. It already
serves one function for people who have a handicap with their perception.
It has the OpenDyslexic font for people with dyslexia. There are multiple
ways functionality can be provided who have a visual handicap. The size of
the characters can be increased, the colour scheme can be changed (some
people only see yellow on white..)

If there is one thing wrong with the ULS, it is not in the functionality
but by the utter lack of visibility. ULS is a major component of MediaWiki
and it is not given prominence, Truly how are people going to find
OpenDyslexic... (we are talking about 7 to 10% of a population)...

Work is done to get more support for webfonts on mobile phones.. It is
being developed.
Thanks,
      GerardM

On 15 January 2014 09:26, rupert THURNER <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, would anybody of you have some starting points concerning wikipedia for
> visually impaired persons, both computer and mobile devices?
>
> Rupert

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Visually impaired

Jon Davies
How about starting with what a 'ULS' is? That would help :)

On 15 January 2014 08:50, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hoi,
> One obvious point to start is the functionality of the ULS. It already
> serves one function for people who have a handicap with their perception.
> It has the OpenDyslexic font for people with dyslexia. There are multiple
> ways functionality can be provided who have a visual handicap. The size of
> the characters can be increased, the colour scheme can be changed (some
> people only see yellow on white..)
>
> If there is one thing wrong with the ULS, it is not in the functionality
> but by the utter lack of visibility. ULS is a major component of MediaWiki
> and it is not given prominence, Truly how are people going to find
> OpenDyslexic... (we are talking about 7 to 10% of a population)...
>
> Work is done to get more support for webfonts on mobile phones.. It is
> being developed.
> Thanks,
>       GerardM
>

> On 15 January 2014 09:26, rupert THURNER <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi, would anybody of you have some starting points concerning wikipedia
> for
> > visually impaired persons, both computer and mobile devices?
> >
> > Rupert

*Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK*.  Mobile (0044) 7803 505 169
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Visually impaired

Amir E. Aharoni
ULS is short for the Universal Language Selector extension. This tool
provides language selection, webfonts and keyboard layouts for different
languages. It appears if you click the gear icon near the interlanguage
links. Among other things, it provides the OpenDyslexic font for some
languages written in the Latin alphabet, and it is supposed to be more
comfortable to read for dyslexic people. So it can be considered and
accessibility tool, but I don't think that it is relevant for
visually-impaired people.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

2014/1/15 Jon Davies <[hidden email]>

> How about starting with what a 'ULS' is? That would help :)
>

> On 15 January 2014 08:50, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hoi,
> > One obvious point to start is the functionality of the ULS. It already
> > serves one function for people who have a handicap with their perception.
> > It has the OpenDyslexic font for people with dyslexia. There are multiple
> > ways functionality can be provided who have a visual handicap. The size
> of
> > the characters can be increased, the colour scheme can be changed (some
> > people only see yellow on white..)
> >
> > If there is one thing wrong with the ULS, it is not in the functionality
> > but by the utter lack of visibility. ULS is a major component of
> MediaWiki
> > and it is not given prominence, Truly how are people going to find
> > OpenDyslexic... (we are talking about 7 to 10% of a population)...
> >
> > Work is done to get more support for webfonts on mobile phones.. It is
> > being developed.
> > Thanks,
> >       GerardM
> >

> > On 15 January 2014 09:26, rupert THURNER <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, would anybody of you have some starting points concerning wikipedia
> > for
> > > visually impaired persons, both computer and mobile devices?
> > >
> > > Rupert

> *Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK*.  Mobile (0044) 7803 505 169
> tweet @jonatreesdavies

> movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who
> operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
> Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.
>
> Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Visually impaired

Jon Davies
WOW on toast! Thanks Amir.

On 15 January 2014 09:47, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]>wrote:

> ULS is short for the Universal Language Selector extension. This tool
> provides language selection, webfonts and keyboard layouts for different
> languages. It appears if you click the gear icon near the interlanguage
> links. Among other things, it provides the OpenDyslexic font for some
> languages written in the Latin alphabet, and it is supposed to be more
> comfortable to read for dyslexic people. So it can be considered and
> accessibility tool, but I don't think that it is relevant for
> visually-impaired people.

> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> ‪“We're living in pieces,
> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬
>

> 2014/1/15 Jon Davies <[hidden email]>
>
> > How about starting with what a 'ULS' is? That would help :)
> >

> > On 15 January 2014 08:50, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hoi,
> > > One obvious point to start is the functionality of the ULS. It already
> > > serves one function for people who have a handicap with their
> perception.
> > > It has the OpenDyslexic font for people with dyslexia. There are
> multiple
> > > ways functionality can be provided who have a visual handicap. The size
> > of
> > > the characters can be increased, the colour scheme can be changed (some
> > > people only see yellow on white..)
> > >
> > > If there is one thing wrong with the ULS, it is not in the
> functionality
> > > but by the utter lack of visibility. ULS is a major component of
> > MediaWiki
> > > and it is not given prominence, Truly how are people going to find
> > > OpenDyslexic... (we are talking about 7 to 10% of a population)...
> > >
> > > Work is done to get more support for webfonts on mobile phones.. It is
> > > being developed.
> > > Thanks,
> > >       GerardM

> wikipedia
> > > for

> > *Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK*.  Mobile (0044) 7803 505 169
> > tweet @jonatreesdavies
> >
> > Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and
> > Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered
> > Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A
> 4LT.
> > United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia
> > movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who
> > operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
> > Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.
> >
> > Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

*Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK*.  Mobile (0044) 7803 505 169
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Visually impaired

Federico Leva (Nemo)
rupert THURNER, 15/01/2014 09:26:
> Hi, would anybody of you have some starting points concerning wikipedia for
> visually impaired persons, both computer and mobile devices?

WMDE is working on this (mainly Hoo with help by TheDJ), building on
recommendations compiled by WMCH.
Main coordination page is https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Accessibility
A possible project with a reasonable scale even for a volunteer is IMHO:
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mentorship_programs/Possible_projects#Accessibility_for_the_colour-blind>

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Visually impaired

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,

What the ULS is.. the universal language selector is started with this
little round thingie next to the interwiki links. The fact that it is not
even known in this crowd is indicative how little this functionality is
known and how few people will find usability tools.

One thing we need to do is promote the use of usability tools... this
becomes easier when there are more of them
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 15 January 2014 10:34, Jon Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How about starting with what a 'ULS' is? That would help :)
>

> On 15 January 2014 08:50, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hoi,
> > One obvious point to start is the functionality of the ULS. It already
> > serves one function for people who have a handicap with their perception.
> > It has the OpenDyslexic font for people with dyslexia. There are multiple
> > ways functionality can be provided who have a visual handicap. The size
> of
> > the characters can be increased, the colour scheme can be changed (some
> > people only see yellow on white..)
> >
> > If there is one thing wrong with the ULS, it is not in the functionality
> > but by the utter lack of visibility. ULS is a major component of
> MediaWiki
> > and it is not given prominence, Truly how are people going to find
> > OpenDyslexic... (we are talking about 7 to 10% of a population)...
> >
> > Work is done to get more support for webfonts on mobile phones.. It is
> > being developed.
> > Thanks,
> >       GerardM
> >

> > On 15 January 2014 09:26, rupert THURNER <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, would anybody of you have some starting points concerning wikipedia
> > for
> > > visually impaired persons, both computer and mobile devices?
> > >
> > > Rupert

> *Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK*.  Mobile (0044) 7803 505 169
> tweet @jonatreesdavies

> movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who
> operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
> Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.
>
> Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Visually impaired

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
How is dyslexia anything BUT a visual impairment ?
Thanks,
    GerardM

On 15 January 2014 10:47, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]>wrote:

> ULS is short for the Universal Language Selector extension. This tool
> provides language selection, webfonts and keyboard layouts for different
> languages. It appears if you click the gear icon near the interlanguage
> links. Among other things, it provides the OpenDyslexic font for some
> languages written in the Latin alphabet, and it is supposed to be more
> comfortable to read for dyslexic people. So it can be considered and
> accessibility tool, but I don't think that it is relevant for
> visually-impaired people.

> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> ‪“We're living in pieces,
> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬
>

> 2014/1/15 Jon Davies <[hidden email]>
>
> > How about starting with what a 'ULS' is? That would help :)
> >

> > On 15 January 2014 08:50, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hoi,
> > > One obvious point to start is the functionality of the ULS. It already
> > > serves one function for people who have a handicap with their
> perception.
> > > It has the OpenDyslexic font for people with dyslexia. There are
> multiple
> > > ways functionality can be provided who have a visual handicap. The size
> > of
> > > the characters can be increased, the colour scheme can be changed (some
> > > people only see yellow on white..)
> > >
> > > If there is one thing wrong with the ULS, it is not in the
> functionality
> > > but by the utter lack of visibility. ULS is a major component of
> > MediaWiki
> > > and it is not given prominence, Truly how are people going to find
> > > OpenDyslexic... (we are talking about 7 to 10% of a population)...
> > >
> > > Work is done to get more support for webfonts on mobile phones.. It is
> > > being developed.
> > > Thanks,
> > >       GerardM

> wikipedia
> > > for

> > *Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK*.  Mobile (0044) 7803 505 169
> > tweet @jonatreesdavies
> >
> > Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and
> > Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered
> > Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A
> 4LT.
> > United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia
> > movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who
> > operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
> > Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.
> >
> > Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Visually impaired

James Alexander-3
On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 2:05 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hoi,
> How is dyslexia anything BUT a visual impairment ?
> Thanks,
>     GerardM

Dyslexia can also has some serious auditory symptoms (processing speed,
auditory memory, verbal comprehension, voice recognition...... etc).
The stereotype is the reading/writing aspect but it is very much not the
only one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia

James

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Visually impaired

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I am totally with you. However we can only help where we can. Providing the
font and make it accessible is one way.
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 15 January 2014 11:18, James Alexander <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 2:05 AM, Gerard Meijssen
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > Hoi,
> > How is dyslexia anything BUT a visual impairment ?
> > Thanks,
> >     GerardM
> >

> Dyslexia can also has some serious auditory symptoms (processing speed,
> auditory memory, verbal comprehension, voice recognition...... etc).
> The stereotype is the reading/writing aspect but it is very much not the
> only one.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia
>
> James

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Visually impaired

Michael Maggs
Can WMUK collaborate with WMDE (and others) on this to push it forward?  Obviously a lot of good work has already been done, but perhaps it now needs some long term commitment and leadership to ensure that what has been done is made easily accessible,  and to work on filling gaps in functionality (covering all aspects of disability).

Michael

WMUK Chair

> On 15 Jan 2014, at 09:34, Jon Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> How about starting with what a 'ULS' is? That would help :)
>

>> On 15 January 2014 08:50, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hoi,
>> One obvious point to start is the functionality of the ULS. It already
>> serves one function for people who have a handicap with their perception.
>> It has the OpenDyslexic font for people with dyslexia. There are multiple
>> ways functionality can be provided who have a visual handicap. The size of
>> the characters can be increased, the colour scheme can be changed (some
>> people only see yellow on white..)
>>
>> If there is one thing wrong with the ULS, it is not in the functionality
>> but by the utter lack of visibility. ULS is a major component of MediaWiki
>> and it is not given prominence, Truly how are people going to find
>> OpenDyslexic... (we are talking about 7 to 10% of a population)...
>>
>> Work is done to get more support for webfonts on mobile phones.. It is
>> being developed.
>> Thanks,
>>      GerardM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Visually impaired

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I am talking with the Polish chapter to extend the functionality of the
OpenDyslexic font ... I am waiting for their GO/NOGO.
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 15 January 2014 12:08, Michael Maggs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can WMUK collaborate with WMDE (and others) on this to push it forward?
>  Obviously a lot of good work has already been done, but perhaps it now
> needs some long term commitment and leadership to ensure that what has been
> done is made easily accessible,  and to work on filling gaps in
> functionality (covering all aspects of disability).
>
> Michael
>
> WMUK Chair
>
> > On 15 Jan 2014, at 09:34, Jon Davies <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > How about starting with what a 'ULS' is? That would help :)
> >

> >> On 15 January 2014 08:50, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hoi,
> >> One obvious point to start is the functionality of the ULS. It already
> >> serves one function for people who have a handicap with their
> perception.
> >> It has the OpenDyslexic font for people with dyslexia. There are
> multiple
> >> ways functionality can be provided who have a visual handicap. The size
> of
> >> the characters can be increased, the colour scheme can be changed (some
> >> people only see yellow on white..)
> >>
> >> If there is one thing wrong with the ULS, it is not in the functionality
> >> but by the utter lack of visibility. ULS is a major component of
> MediaWiki
> >> and it is not given prominence, Truly how are people going to find
> >> OpenDyslexic... (we are talking about 7 to 10% of a population)...
> >>
> >> Work is done to get more support for webfonts on mobile phones.. It is
> >> being developed.
> >> Thanks,
> >>      GerardM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [WMUK Tech] [Wikimediauk-l] Improving Wikimedia access for people with impairments (was Visually impaired)

Michael Maggs
Yes, indeed.

Collaborating to get a well advertised clearing centre running would be a very good first step. But to get over the usual issue that nobody in the community comes forward to point out where the gaps are (which may not be surprising as the people we want to contact here are by definition already excluded from the community) we need outreach to the relevant impairment/disability groups to get their members involved. That is something that the Chapters would be good at, as many such groups/charities are national ones.   There are quite a few in the UK, and no doubt more in Germany and elsewhere.

Outreach is what the chapters do!

Best regards

Michael

____________
Michael Maggs
Chair, Wikimedia UK

On 15 Jan 2014, at 11:44, rexx <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The single biggest problem, Michael, is that when one talks in the abstract, we end up chasing illusory problems that don't actually have any impact. It's very difficult to create systems that are always 100% accessible by all if we start by trying to second-guess what accessibility problems visitors might encounter.
>
> What we need is a well-advertised "clearing centre" where anybody who experiences an accessibility problem on one of our sites can register their problem, which would then allow us to examine it and provide the most effective solution.
>
> I'm quite happy to continue giving advice on the issues covered at
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style/Accessibility
>
> and I'd like to see it adopted as default on the WMUK Wiki, but I question the value of volunteers re-inventing the wheel by chasing "gaps" that I'm not at all sure actually exist.
>
> --
> Doug
>

> On 15 January 2014 11:08, Michael Maggs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can WMUK collaborate with WMDE (and others) on this to push it forward?  Obviously a lot of good work has already been done, but perhaps it now needs some long term commitment and leadership to ensure that what has been done is made easily accessible,  and to work on filling gaps in functionality (covering all aspects of disability).
>
> Michael
>
> WMUK Chair
>
> > On 15 Jan 2014, at 09:34, Jon Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > How about starting with what a 'ULS' is? That would help :)
> >

> >> On 15 January 2014 08:50, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hoi,
> >> One obvious point to start is the functionality of the ULS. It already
> >> serves one function for people who have a handicap with their perception.
> >> It has the OpenDyslexic font for people with dyslexia. There are multiple
> >> ways functionality can be provided who have a visual handicap. The size of
> >> the characters can be increased, the colour scheme can be changed (some
> >> people only see yellow on white..)
> >>
> >> If there is one thing wrong with the ULS, it is not in the functionality
> >> but by the utter lack of visibility. ULS is a major component of MediaWiki
> >> and it is not given prominence, Truly how are people going to find
> >> OpenDyslexic... (we are talking about 7 to 10% of a population)...
> >>
> >> Work is done to get more support for webfonts on mobile phones.. It is
> >> being developed.
> >> Thanks,
> >>      GerardM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Visually impaired

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-3
Some of you may not now but there is one Visually impaired editor on the
Hindi Wikipedia by the name Anirudha, perhaps it would be useful to get in
touch with him and get more feedback.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hoi,
> I am talking with the Polish chapter to extend the functionality of the
> OpenDyslexic font ... I am waiting for their GO/NOGO.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM
>

> On 15 January 2014 12:08, Michael Maggs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Can WMUK collaborate with WMDE (and others) on this to push it forward?
> >  Obviously a lot of good work has already been done, but perhaps it now
> > needs some long term commitment and leadership to ensure that what has
> been
> > done is made easily accessible,  and to work on filling gaps in
> > functionality (covering all aspects of disability).
> >
> > Michael
> >
> > WMUK Chair
> >
> > > On 15 Jan 2014, at 09:34, Jon Davies <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > How about starting with what a 'ULS' is? That would help :)

> > perception.
> > multiple
> size
> > of
> (some

> functionality
> > MediaWiki

Srikanth Ramakrishnan
Treasurer,
Wikimedia Chapter [India]

Donate to the Wikimedia India Chapter today<http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Donations>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Visually impaired

Victor Grigas
I interviewed 2 gentlemen who are both blind who use a program called JAWS on desktop machines that reads the Wikipedia page to them, allowing them to edit.

> On Jan 15, 2014, at 2:26 AM, rupert THURNER <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi, would anybody of you have some starting points concerning wikipedia for
> visually impaired persons, both computer and mobile devices?
>
> Rupert

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Visually impaired

Michael Snow-5
On 1/15/2014 8:13 AM, Victor Grigas wrote:
> I interviewed 2 gentlemen who are both blind who use a program called JAWS on desktop machines that reads the Wikipedia page to them, allowing them to edit.
In the US, I believe JAWS is the predominant tool employed to assist
blind computer users. At least if you deliver content that needs to
comply with Section 508 (information accessibility requirements from the
1973 Rehabilitation Act), performance with JAWS is the most likely way
that an agency will evaluate the content if they're serious about
meeting the requirements. It's limited to operating in a Windows
environment, but the program has an established user base that I
understand is quite active in providing feedback so the software can be
maintained and improved. I haven't dealt with it in a wiki context, but
if it's an effective aid for editing as well as reading, I'm glad to
hear it.

--Michael Snow

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Visually impaired

Kim Bruning
Did they have issues with eg. templates at top of page?

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 10:13:08AM -0600, Victor Grigas wrote:

> I interviewed 2 gentlemen who are both blind who use a program called JAWS on desktop machines that reads the Wikipedia page to them, allowing them to edit.
>
> > On Jan 15, 2014, at 2:26 AM, rupert THURNER <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, would anybody of you have some starting points concerning wikipedia for
> > visually impaired persons, both computer and mobile devices?
> >
> > Rupert

[Non-pgp mail clients may show pgp-signature as attachment]
gpg (www.gnupg.org) Fingerprint for key  FEF9DD72
5ED6 E215 73EE AD84 E03A  01C5 94AC 7B0E FEF9 DD72