[Wikimedia-l] WMF Advanced Permissions

Fæ
Hi,

I notice that the table on Meta of specially granted project rights
for WMF employees has not been updated since June 2015.[1] Last year
it was being amended at least a couple of times a month.

Is this down to a technical problem or was there no need to change any
employee rights on Wikimedia projects over the last  the last twelve
weeks?

Links:
1. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Advanced_Permissions

Thanks,
Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF Advanced Permissions

James Alexander-4
Hey Fae,

As you know that I'm responsible for the spreadsheet that your bot is copying to make that spreadsheet (since you're one of the ones who asked me to make the process more transparent) I would have really appreciated a more private email before this public one. That said, yes there have both been some changes on the private versions of the sheet that caused the public version to break as well as very few actual rights changes which means I haven't been looking at it often. Because of a back log of issues within my Trust and Safety work I haven't been able to fully find the time to fix and update everything but I actually have time set aside on my calendar on Monday to do that :).

Sent from my iPhone

James Alexander
Legal and Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation
+1 415-839-6885 x6716

> On Sep 24, 2015, at 16:57, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I notice that the table on Meta of specially granted project rights
> for WMF employees has not been updated since June 2015.[1] Last year
> it was being amended at least a couple of times a month.
>
> Is this down to a technical problem or was there no need to change any
> employee rights on Wikimedia projects over the last  the last twelve
> weeks?
>
> Links:
> 1. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Advanced_Permissions
>
> Thanks,
> Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF Advanced Permissions

Pine W
Speaking of Trust and Safety, is there going to be a back-filled position
in CA in light of Philippe's departure and Maggie's promotion?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF Advanced Permissions

John Lewis
I believe they already filled the position as they hired Karen about a week
ago (after the announcement). ca. Staff and contractors page and IRC office
hour.

John Lewis

On Friday, 25 September 2015, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Speaking of Trust and Safety, is there going to be a back-filled position
> in CA in light of Philippe's departure and Maggie's promotion?

John Lewis

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF Advanced Permissions

Pine W
Aha, this is what I get for missing office hours. For the record:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours/Office_hours_2015-09-18

On 25 September 2015 at 05:46, James Alexander <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Fae,
>
> As you know that I'm responsible for the spreadsheet that your bot is copying to make that spreadsheet (since you're one of the ones who asked me to make the process more transparent) I would have really appreciated a more private email before this public one. That said, yes there have both been some changes on the private versions of the sheet that caused the public version to break as well as very few actual rights changes which means I haven't been looking at it often. Because of a back log of issues within my Trust and Safety work I haven't been able to fully find the time to fix and update everything but I actually have time set aside on my calendar on Monday to do that :).
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>

> James Alexander
> Legal and Community Advocacy
> Wikimedia Foundation
> +1 415-839-6885 x6716

Thanks for your commitment to get this up to date.

Had my question been about the performance of a named employee, I
would have sent a private email out of courtesy. This was a simple
non-critical question about WMF transparency, following on from an
original open discussion a long time ago on this list. This makes this
list the best open place to raise the question.

I feel that it is ethical to all encourage volunteers to feel free to
ask questions about WMF transparency in the open. It would be a
positive and ethical approach to take. Making it appear that a
volunteer has done something wrong when they try to do so is not a
healthy direction to go in.

On 25 September 2015 at 08:52, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for your commitment to get this up to date.

For anyone following the transparent and open publication of the
allocation and rationales for necessary WMF staff project account
rights (i.e. not community managed), the wiki table on meta was
updated this week, see [1] and the recent changes at [2].

Links
1. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Advanced_Permissions
2. https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=WMF_Advanced_Permissions&type=revision&diff=14021568&oldid=13957537

P.S. As Revent highlighted, the spreadsheet should say "Role" rather
than "Roll". :-)

Thanks
Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF Advanced Permissions

Gergo Tisza
On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 1:52 AM, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For anyone following the transparent and open publication of the
> allocation and rationales for necessary WMF staff project account
> rights (i.e. not community managed), the wiki table on meta was
> updated this week, see [1] and the recent changes at [2].

And if you are interested in more rights being community managed, please
comment on
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/OAuth_handover :)

ps. something seems to be wrong with the date handling for the new
additions to https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Advanced_Permissions

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF Advanced Permissions

Fæ
Re: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Advanced_Permissions

I notice that User:Fabrice Florin (WMF) is in the report as having
staff rights, which is obviously incorrect. I have not checked other
accounts, nor checked if there are employees with advanced permissions
that have yet to be reported.

Could we arrange a more complete and reliable update of the published
information?

Thanks in advance,
Fae