[Wikimedia-l] WMF Legal Blog Post: "WMF trademark practices for QR codes and wikitowns"

[Wikimedia-l] WMF Legal Blog Post: "WMF trademark practices for QR codes and wikitowns"

Rubina Kwon
This morning, the WMF legal team posted a blog concerning trademark
licensing practices going forward in the context of QR code projects and
Wikitowns. Please go
here<http://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/03/08/wmf-trademark-practices-for-qr-codes-and-wikitowns/>in
order to view the post.

--
Rubina Kwon
Attorney

NOTICE: This message might have confidential or legally privileged
information in it. If you have received this message by accident, please
delete it and let us know about the mistake. For legal reasons, I may only
serve as a legal intern for the Wikimedia Foundation. This means I may not
give legal advice to or serve as a lawyer for community members,
volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity.

[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] WMF Legal Blog Post: "WMF trademark practices for QR codes and wikitowns"

Liam Wyatt
Thanks for posting a definitive answer on this topic - it is good to get
clear instructions about this longstanding question, even if I don't
personally agree with the outcome.

However, I would like to take issue with part of this blogpost:

"will continue to allow
nominative<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominative_use>,
non-stylized use of the “Wikipedia” word mark"

My instinctive reaction to reading this was to write something sarcastic,
but I respect Geoff to much for that. So, I'll say it directly: Please do
not say, either overtly or by implication, that the WMF gives its
permission for the community to use the word "Wikipedia". Nobody needs to
ask permission to write the name of an organisation or website so please
don't say that you've been so kind as to give us permission to do so. The
WMF does not "allow" us to use the word Wikipedia (or refuse it) anymore
than Coca Cola "allows" or "refuses" me the right to use the word "coke" -
especially when making truthful statements like "scanning this QRcode will
take you to Wikipedia".

-Liam

On Saturday, 9 March 2013, Rubina Kwon wrote:

> This morning, the WMF legal team posted a blog concerning trademark
> licensing practices going forward in the context of QR code projects and
> Wikitowns. Please go
> here<
> http://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/03/08/wmf-trademark-practices-for-qr-codes-and-wikitowns/
> >in
> order to view the post.
>
> --
> Rubina Kwon
> Attorney
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 149 New Montgomery Street, 3rd Floor
> San Francisco, CA 94105
> [hidden email]
> 415.839.6885 ext. 6794 (Office)
> 415.882.0495 (Fax)
>

> NOTICE: This message might have confidential or legally privileged
> information in it. If you have received this message by accident, please
> delete it and let us know about the mistake. For legal reasons, I may only
> serve as a legal intern for the Wikimedia Foundation. This means I may not
> give legal advice to or serve as a lawyer for community members,
> volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity.

wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] WMF Legal Blog Post: "WMF trademark practices for QR codes and wikitowns"

cyrano
I'm sorry Liam Wyatt, but I see you're talking about the WMF in this
mail list... did you ask their permission for that? ^ ^
Please cease and desist. You can still talk about birds, though. Birds
are nice.

(please don't throw stones at the joker)

Le 08/03/2013 22:46, Liam Wyatt a écrit :

> Thanks for posting a definitive answer on this topic - it is good to get
> clear instructions about this longstanding question, even if I don't
> personally agree with the outcome.
>
> However, I would like to take issue with part of this blogpost:
>
> "will continue to allow
> nominative<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominative_use>,
> non-stylized use of the “Wikipedia” word mark"
>
> My instinctive reaction to reading this was to write something sarcastic,
> but I respect Geoff to much for that. So, I'll say it directly: Please do
> not say, either overtly or by implication, that the WMF gives its
> permission for the community to use the word "Wikipedia". Nobody needs to
> ask permission to write the name of an organisation or website so please
> don't say that you've been so kind as to give us permission to do so. The
> WMF does not "allow" us to use the word Wikipedia (or refuse it) anymore
> than Coca Cola "allows" or "refuses" me the right to use the word "coke" -
> especially when making truthful statements like "scanning this QRcode will
> take you to Wikipedia".
>
> -Liam
>
> On Saturday, 9 March 2013, Rubina Kwon wrote:
>
>> This morning, the WMF legal team posted a blog concerning trademark
>> licensing practices going forward in the context of QR code projects and
>> Wikitowns. Please go
>> here<
>> http://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/03/08/wmf-trademark-practices-for-qr-codes-and-wikitowns/
>>> in
>> order to view the post.
>>
>> --
>> Rubina Kwon
>> Attorney
>> Wikimedia Foundation
>> 149 New Montgomery Street, 3rd Floor
>> San Francisco, CA 94105
>> [hidden email]
>> 415.839.6885 ext. 6794 (Office)
>> 415.882.0495 (Fax)
>>

>> NOTICE: This message might have confidential or legally privileged
>> information in it. If you have received this message by accident, please
>> delete it and let us know about the mistake. For legal reasons, I may only
>> serve as a legal intern for the Wikimedia Foundation. This means I may not
>> give legal advice to or serve as a lawyer for community members,
>> volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] WMF Legal Blog Post: "WMF trademark practices for QR codes and wikitowns"

James Alexander-4
On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 5:46 PM, Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for posting a definitive answer on this topic - it is good to get
> clear instructions about this longstanding question, even if I don't
> personally agree with the outcome.
>
> However, I would like to take issue with part of this blogpost:
>
> "will continue to allow
> nominative<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominative_use>,
> non-stylized use of the “Wikipedia” word mark"
>
> My instinctive reaction to reading this was to write something sarcastic,
> but I respect Geoff to much for that. So, I'll say it directly: Please do
> not say, either overtly or by implication, that the WMF gives its
> permission for the community to use the word "Wikipedia". Nobody needs to
> ask permission to write the name of an organisation or website so please
> don't say that you've been so kind as to give us permission to do so. The
> WMF does not "allow" us to use the word Wikipedia (or refuse it) anymore
> than Coca Cola "allows" or "refuses" me the right to use the word "coke" -
> especially when making truthful statements like "scanning this QRcode will
> take you to Wikipedia".
>
> -Liam

Hey Liam, you may be interested in Geoff's response on the blog about this
(
http://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/03/08/wmf-trademark-practices-for-qr-codes-and-wikitowns/#comments).

James

James Alexander
Manager, Merchandise
Wikimedia Foundation
(415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] WMF Legal Blog Post: "WMF trademark practices for QR codes and wikitowns"

Liam Wyatt
Thank you Geoff for the quick and sensible response, and for James for
pointing it out here.
-Liam

On Saturday, 9 March 2013, James Alexander wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 5:46 PM, Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for posting a definitive answer on this topic - it is good to get
> > clear instructions about this longstanding question, even if I don't
> > personally agree with the outcome.
> >
> > However, I would like to take issue with part of this blogpost:
> >
> > "will continue to allow
> > nominative<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominative_use>,
> > non-stylized use of the “Wikipedia” word mark"
> >
> > My instinctive reaction to reading this was to write something sarcastic,
> > but I respect Geoff to much for that. So, I'll say it directly: Please do
> > not say, either overtly or by implication, that the WMF gives its
> > permission for the community to use the word "Wikipedia". Nobody needs to
> > ask permission to write the name of an organisation or website so please
> > don't say that you've been so kind as to give us permission to do so. The
> > WMF does not "allow" us to use the word Wikipedia (or refuse it) anymore
> > than Coca Cola "allows" or "refuses" me the right to use the word "coke"
> -
> > especially when making truthful statements like "scanning this QRcode
> will
> > take you to Wikipedia".
> >
> > -Liam
> >

> Hey Liam, you may be interested in Geoff's response on the blog about this
> (
>
> http://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/03/08/wmf-trademark-practices-for-qr-codes-and-wikitowns/#comments
> ).
>
> James
>

> James Alexander
> Manager, Merchandise
> Wikimedia Foundation
> (415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur

wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] WMF Legal Blog Post: "WMF trademark practices for QR codes and wikitowns"

mathieu lovato stumpf guntz
Le vendredi 08 mars 2013 à 22:58 -0300, cyrano a écrit :
> I'm sorry Liam Wyatt, but I see you're talking about the WMF in this
> mail list... did you ask their permission for that? ^ ^
> Please cease and desist. You can still talk about birds, though. Birds
> are nice.
>
> (please don't throw stones at the joker)

Can we throw dead birds then ? (With shaped beak.)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] WMF Legal Blog Post: "WMF trademark practices for QR codes and wikitowns"

Itzik Edri
+1 to what Liam wrote and the disagreement.

What about the uses of the W graphic mark? it is also forbidden?
The restrictions refer to individuals uses or also partnerships projects by
chapters?

Itzik