[Wikimedia-l] WMF is shutting down grantmaking for good projects for 3 months for no reason

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF is shutting down grantmaking for good projects for 3 months for no reason

Ilario Valdelli
My 2 cents?

The carrot would be a different approach of the committees in the
evaluation and a better "consideration" of the role of the women.

When I said to several women that there will be a session of grants
dedicated to the women, the answer has been really positive, I would say
that they felt like "receiving more consideration".

What would be the feeling of a woman if you are sitting in a bus and you
offer her your place?

Having a "softer" approach is a big added value and it may be the carrot.

Regards

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 5:11 PM, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> thing, doing it well and keepinhg our network of volunteers on-board
> with plans and ready to use the grant to maximum effect when it
> arrives. Sadly "burn-out" remains a major issue for our most active
> volunteers and we should take care to set up our systems to be
> flexible and low stress.
>
> I hope the experiment is successful and there are some interesting
> gendergap proposals that have significant measurable outcomes on our
> projects, in terms of active users and content creation. At the same
> time I hope that folks responsible for the grants process will adapt
> and improve to find a more harmonious positive approach to
> prioritization; i.e. lots of easy to understand carrots which are not
> too tricky to reach for.
>
> Fae
>
> On 9 January 2015 at 15:34, Sydney Poore <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It appears to me that you are entirely missing the actual nature of the
> > problem and the reason for having a campaign targeted at the gender gap.
> >
> > The *problem* is that there have been a suboptimal number of grant
> requests
> > for funds to address the gender gap even though it a listed priority of
> the
> > WMF.
> >
> > The purpose of the campaign is to invite requests for funding, have extra
> > support available if people need mentoring or assistance of other kinds.
> > do this campaign well, the WMF staff needs to refocus the time of people
> > toward this endeavor.
> >
> > A wonderful response from people reading about this campaign would be to
> > ask: what can I do to help bring in high quality grant requests?
> >
> > Those of you who are familiar with making grant requests or using the
> > IdeaLab, offer to help people who are newer to the process.
> >
> > Those of you who are developers and see a way to improve an idea with
> > technology, step in and make suggestion.
> >
> > Over the past 3-4 years all around the world people have holding
> > conferences and discussing the gender gap. Now is the time to expand on
> the
> > work that has been done in these conference. Help spread the word. Assist
> > with translations to help some who is less comfortable writing in English
> > bring there ideas to meta.
> >
> > The point of this targeted campaign is far more than reserving a specific
> > amount of dollars for the gender gap issue.
> >
> > The biggest obstacle to success will be the lack of human resources to
> > refine and execute the projects.
> >
> > Therefore is the reason that people and organizations are being asked to
> > set aside other projects in order to help address this vital area of
> > concern.
> >
> > I hope everyone reading this email will do at least one small thing to
> help.
> >
> > Warm regards,
> >
> > Sydney
> > On Jan 8, 2015 11:04 PM, "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ilario Valdelli
Wikimedia CH
Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
Switzerland - 8008 Zürich
Wikipedia: Ilario <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Ilario>
Skype: valdelli
Facebook: Ilario Valdelli <https://www.facebook.com/ivaldelli>
Twitter: Ilario Valdelli <https://twitter.com/ilariovaldelli>
Linkedin: Ilario Valdelli <http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=6724469>
Tel: +41764821371
http://www.wikimedia.ch

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF is shutting down grantmaking for good projects for 3 months for no reason

Bjoern Hoehrmann
* Sydney Poore wrote:
>It appears to me that you are entirely missing the actual nature of the
>problem and the reason for having a campaign targeted at the gender gap.
>
>The *problem* is that there have been a suboptimal number of grant requests
>for funds to address the gender gap even though it a listed priority of the
>WMF.

Denying attention and funds to unrelated projects is not an appropriate
way to encourage people interested in "gender gap" to request funds.
D-10243 Berlin · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
 Available for hire in Berlin (early 2015)  · http://www.websitedev.de/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF is shutting down grantmaking for good projects for 3 months for no reason

keilanawiki@gmail.com
It's not denying attention or funds. It's focusing attention and funds on a
badly needed area for 3 months out of the year, and the rest of the
projects get the full 9 months. Inviting people to focus their proposals on
the gender gap (which, btw, doesn't need scare quotes, as I assure you it's
real), has the potential to make a far bigger impact than the past 4-5
years of talking about it have. This sounds suspiciously like white people
whining about why there's no "white history month" when the shortest month
of the year is allocated to black history month. Just some food for thought.

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 11:09 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Sydney Poore wrote:
> >It appears to me that you are entirely missing the actual nature of the
> >problem and the reason for having a campaign targeted at the gender gap.
> >
> >The *problem* is that there have been a suboptimal number of grant
> requests
> >for funds to address the gender gap even though it a listed priority of
> the
> >WMF.
>
> Denying attention and funds to unrelated projects is not an appropriate
> way to encourage people interested in "gender gap" to request funds.
> --
> Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[hidden email] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
> D-10243 Berlin · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
>  Available for hire in Berlin (early 2015)  · http://www.websitedev.de/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF is shutting down grantmaking for good projects for 3 months for no reason

Sydney Poore
Identifying priority areas and directing resources (funds and human) toward
them is a non-controversial way to achieve goals.

This is exactly what is happening with this targeted campaign.

The grants team has made it clear that during this round it intends to work
with people and organizations that have urgent time sensitive needs.

It is a legitimate to question whether it makes sense to keep having an
ongoing open call for grant proposals instead of a period for targeted
requests when the top priorities of the wikimedia movement are not being
addressed with the current process.

That this particular targeted campaign is not *perfectly executed* does not
take this legitimate topic off the table.

Sydney

Sydney

Sydney Poore
User:FloNight
Wikipedian in Residence
at Cochrane Collaboration

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 12:09 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Sydney Poore wrote:
> >It appears to me that you are entirely missing the actual nature of the
> >problem and the reason for having a campaign targeted at the gender gap.
> >
> >The *problem* is that there have been a suboptimal number of grant
> requests
> >for funds to address the gender gap even though it a listed priority of
> the
> >WMF.
>
> Denying attention and funds to unrelated projects is not an appropriate
> way to encourage people interested in "gender gap" to request funds.
> --
> Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[hidden email] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
> D-10243 Berlin · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
>  Available for hire in Berlin (early 2015)  · http://www.websitedev.de/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF is shutting down grantmaking for good projects for 3 months for no reason

Sydney Poore
Hi Fae,

That is not the impression that I'm getting from the comments. At least
some people have the expectation that the funding stream will be available
whenever they decide to make a request.

Is it realistic to continue to have an ongoing open call for non - time
sensitive grants when the wikimedia movement has identified needs that are
not being addressed?

Remember, every day the wikimedia movement is creating more and more
content with systemic bias because the movement is not addressing the issue
of lack of diversity.

Everyone, including the WMF grants team, agrees that this round of the
targeted campaign could have benefited from more lead up time and more
human resources. But in the real world we have to work with the hand that
we were dealt. The staff is juggling their regular work load from existing
grants with creating this campaign.

It would be awesome if we gave the grant team the benefit of doubt that
they considered the options and used their best judgement about the best
way to implement targeted campaigns with the resources that they have
available to them.

Frankly, the calls to sabotage the campaign are quite disturbing. I hope
that the issue will soon settle down and people will give this project to
address a serious flaw in the movement the respect that it deserves.

Sydney

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF is shutting down grantmaking for good projects for 3 months for no reason

Siko Bouterse
On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 7:40 PM, Gregory Varnum <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> When I first heard about the idea - I was timid and concerned. However,
> after reading the responses - I am not sure that everyone is looking at
> this the right way. My concerns have been addressed, largely by the
> commitment to accept time-sensitive requests and the description of the
> idea.
>
> It has become increasingly common for grant organizations to encourage
> applicants to focus their programs on target areas - sometimes that
> requirement applies to the enter year. However, that generally does not
> mean you cannot submit your usual programs and ideas - it just challenges
> you to expand them in a particular focus area. Given the focus on gender
> gap work in the tech sector, starting with that during a trial run seems
> logical.
>
> It seems to me that this would be a good excuse for events like WLM, Wiki
> Loves Pride, Wikimedia Conference, and others possibly planning during
> those months to consider how to increase the focus on the gender gap.
> Promoting themes that encourage articles about women (we already know there
> are huge gaps in a lot of professions), Pride could give prizes to great
> articles about lesbian pioneers, or WLM could promote photos of female
> inspired or involved architectural projects. With the possible exception of
> things like specific tech development projects, I think most outreach
> projects could be challenged to find a way to include addressing the gender
> gap into their plans for work that would be funded during those months.
>
> I'm not sure that this threatens gender gap projects after that period, or
> threatens projects that are not traditionally seen as gender gap focused.
> If it does, then we will know it didn't work. But I would encourage folks
> to think of this as a challenge on how they can help include addressing
> gender gap in their programming rather than viewing it as an obstacle to
> funding.
>
> Plus, it sounds like the underlying message remains what it always is - if
> you have an idea and are concerned about the timelines - contact the
> grantmaking staff or volunteers to talk it through.
>
> -greg aka varnent

A big +1 to everything you've said above, varnent. Thanks for the lovely
example for how events like Wiki Loves Pride could get involved.

And just to underscore again what you, Sydney and all have said in this
thread:

For those who feel strongly that they can't or don't want to pick up this
focused challenge, and who do still have a time-sensitive funding request,
please do reach out to Alex Wang or myself directly so we can work with
you.

We've heard from a number of chapters/groups so far that are excited about
the campaign and are wondering how to help. We've heard from only a few
people so far about specific time-sensitive requests of concern, and we're
really quite open to continue working with anyone who needs support in this
regard. I'm not going to engage in broader theoretical discussion on this
list about whether or not the gender gap warrants focused attention, and I
tend to think experiments and new data can be the best way to help drive
more useful future discussions and decisions, but I and my grantmaking
colleagues are absolutely on hand to help solve specific, actionable
problems! Please keep bringing them to us.

> [...]
> > > currently working on forming a team and want to have a good stable plan
> > > be submitted within some weeks, but now we need to rush. And yes we
> need
> > > start in January/February or it will be too late to organize it
> properly.
> > >
> > > Also all the national teams of Wiki Loves Monuments, the international
> > team
> > > recommend all the national teams to start in January/February, to have
> > > proper organisation together with various local partners and sponsors,
> > but
> > > now all these teams are delayed for three months.
> > >
> > > And a personal project of mine in Belgium, I am planning to organize
> Wiki
> > > Loves Art in Belgium, together with various partners and sponsors. We
> > > intent to start in February, but now have to rush to get such done.
> > >
> > > By the way: did you know there is a Belgium Gap? Belgian subjects are
> > > relatively less and worse described on the various Wikipedias.
> > >

> > > This shutting down results in:
> > > * Discouraging many volunteers who are planning to submit good project
> > > proposals.
> > > * Having volunteers rushed with project plans, which lowers the quality
> > of
> > > the plans.
> > > * Having volunteers being late and delayed with projects, for no good
> > > reason.
> > >
> > > Grantmaking is intented to support the communities, not frustrating
> them.
> > > WMF: stop this negative campaign!
> > >

> > > And for all project teams who want to organize a gender gap project:
> > great
> > > you organize this, it is very very welcome! But I like to make a
> > > suggestion: submit the proposal on the first day after the shutting
> down
> > > period to give a strong signal to WMF that shutting down is a bad idea.
> > >

> > > It is time for a new strategic priority: closing the Community Gap.
> That
> > is
> > > the gap between WMF and the local communities worldwide. It is not new,
> > it
> > > exists for many years already. (It resulted also in the drama of the
> > > situation around the Mediaviewer in 2014, the drama with the Visual
> > Editor
> > > in 2013, etc. in what WMF didn't sense well the community.) (Maybe the
> > gap
> > > is less between WMF and the English speaking part of the world, but the
> > > world is larger. We have many people around the world who are speak a
> > > different language. WMF is not sensing the worldwide community well
> > > enough.)
> > > Finally we should do more about this Community Gap.
> > >
> > > For those celebrating: I wish you a happy new year with great projects
> > that
> > > make every single human being freely share in the sum of all human

Siko Bouterse
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

sum of all knowledge. *
*Donate <https://donate.wikimedia.org> or click the "edit" button today,
and help us make it a reality!*

* Siko Bouterse wrote:

>We've heard from a number of chapters/groups so far that are excited about
>the campaign and are wondering how to help. We've heard from only a few
>people so far about specific time-sensitive requests of concern, and we're
>really quite open to continue working with anyone who needs support in this
>regard. I'm not going to engage in broader theoretical discussion on this
>list about whether or not the gender gap warrants focused attention, and I
>tend to think experiments and new data can be the best way to help drive
>more useful future discussions and decisions, but I and my grantmaking
>colleagues are absolutely on hand to help solve specific, actionable
>problems! Please keep bringing them to us.

Where are you going to engage in a public discussion with the broader
community regarding the decision to make the first IEG funding round
this year "entirely devoted to" "the gender gap" in your role as "Head
of Individual Engagement Grants", if, as you say, not "on this list"?
D-10243 Berlin · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
 Available for hire in Berlin (early 2015)  · http://www.websitedev.de/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF is shutting down grantmaking for good projects for 3 months for no reason

Sydney Poore
Siko makes an important point here. If there are too many time sensitive
non-theme requests then that would be justification for allocating more
resources to the grantmaking team next year.

Let's wait and see how the data plays out.

Sydney

Sydney Poore
User:FloNight
Wikipedian in Residence
at Cochrane Collaboration

On 9 January 2015 at 20:31, Bjoern Hoehrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> * Siko Bouterse wrote:

>>We've heard from a number of chapters/groups so far that are excited about
>>the campaign and are wondering how to help. We've heard from only a few
>>people so far about specific time-sensitive requests of concern, and we're
>>really quite open to continue working with anyone who needs support in this
>>regard. I'm not going to engage in broader theoretical discussion on this
>>list about whether or not the gender gap warrants focused attention, and I
>>tend to think experiments and new data can be the best way to help drive
>>more useful future discussions and decisions, but I and my grantmaking
>>colleagues are absolutely on hand to help solve specific, actionable
>>problems! Please keep bringing them to us.

> Where are you going to engage in a public discussion with the broader
> community regarding the decision to make the first IEG funding round
> this year "entirely devoted to" "the gender gap" in your role as "Head
> of Individual Engagement Grants", if, as you say, not "on this list"?

The paragraph you quote is basically the answer to the non-querulous
parts of the question you ask.

After this discussion, the need for this initiative is made clearer. I
look forward to the results.

- d.