[Wikimedia-l] Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group

[Wikimedia-l] Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group

Austin Hair
You may have already received a message indicating that you've been
added to the "Wikimedia-l" Google Group; if not, you likely will soon.

In case it's not clear, this Google Group is in no way affiliated with
Wikimedia-l, the Wikimedia Foundation, me, or anybody you'd ever want
to be friends with.

If you do find yourself subscribed, I strongly urge you not to engage
in any way. Report it to Google (not to me or the list) as an abusive
subscription using the link at the bottom of the message, and leave it
be.

If you find yourself being impersonated or wrongly implicated in this
latest round of troublemaking, don't fret. Nobody will hold it against
you, and in fact you'll have everyone's sympathies.

Austin

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-3
This is probably related to a group that calls itself India Against
Corruption.
A similar tactic was employed by them on the India Community.
You may look up archives of Wikimediaindia-l and Commons-l.
You could also read up on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Long-term_abuse/India_Against_Corruption_sock-meatfarm

[...]

Yes, it almost certainly is, and this isn't new to us. We dealt with
this exact type of attack as recently as last month.

Austin

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 7:30 PM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is probably related to a group that calls itself India Against
> Corruption.
> A similar tactic was employed by them on the India Community.
> You may look up archives of Wikimediaindia-l and Commons-l.
> You could also read up on
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Long-term_abuse/India_Against_Corruption_sock-meatfarm
>
>  You may have already received a message indicating that you've been
> added to the "Wikimedia-l" Google Group; if not, you likely will soon.
>
> In case it's not clear, this Google Group is in no way affiliated with
> Wikimedia-l, the Wikimedia Foundation, me, or anybody you'd ever want
> to be friends with.
>
> If you do find yourself subscribed, I strongly urge you not to engage
> in any way. Report it to Google (not to me or the list) as an abusive
> subscription using the link at the bottom of the message, and leave it
> be.
>
> If you find yourself being impersonated or wrongly implicated in this
> latest round of troublemaking, don't fret. Nobody will hold it against
> you, and in fact you'll have everyone's sympathies.
>
> Austin

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group

Santiago Navarro
Thnak you for your e-mail. I was added and now I've been unsuscribed.

El 2015-01-07 19:26, Austin Hair escribió:

> You may have already received a message indicating that you've been
> added to the "Wikimedia-l" Google Group; if not, you likely will soon.
>
> In case it's not clear, this Google Group is in no way affiliated with
> Wikimedia-l, the Wikimedia Foundation, me, or anybody you'd ever want
> to be friends with.
>
> If you do find yourself subscribed, I strongly urge you not to engage
> in any way. Report it to Google (not to me or the list) as an abusive
> subscription using the link at the bottom of the message, and leave it
> be.
>
> If you find yourself being impersonated or wrongly implicated in this
> latest round of troublemaking, don't fret. Nobody will hold it against
> you, and in fact you'll have everyone's sympathies.
>
> Austin

Santiago Navarro Sanz
Wikimedia España
http://www.wikimedia.org.es/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group

Vishnu t
Thanks for the alert, Austin!

Vishnu

On 01/07/2015 11:56 PM, Austin Hair wrote:

> You may have already received a message indicating that you've been
> added to the "Wikimedia-l" Google Group; if not, you likely will soon.
>
> In case it's not clear, this Google Group is in no way affiliated with
> Wikimedia-l, the Wikimedia Foundation, me, or anybody you'd ever want
> to be friends with.
>
> If you do find yourself subscribed, I strongly urge you not to engage
> in any way. Report it to Google (not to me or the list) as an abusive
> subscription using the link at the bottom of the message, and leave it
> be.
>
> If you find yourself being impersonated or wrongly implicated in this
> latest round of troublemaking, don't fret. Nobody will hold it against
> you, and in fact you'll have everyone's sympathies.
>
> Austin

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group

Karthik Nadar-2
I think it will be better if most of us can "Report the Group".

Regards from Mumbai,
Karthik Nadar.

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Vishnu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the alert, Austin!
>
> Vishnu
>

> On 01/07/2015 11:56 PM, Austin Hair wrote:
>
>> You may have already received a message indicating that you've been
>> added to the "Wikimedia-l" Google Group; if not, you likely will soon.
>>
>> In case it's not clear, this Google Group is in no way affiliated with
>> Wikimedia-l, the Wikimedia Foundation, me, or anybody you'd ever want
>> to be friends with.
>>
>> If you do find yourself subscribed, I strongly urge you not to engage
>> in any way. Report it to Google (not to me or the list) as an abusive
>> subscription using the link at the bottom of the message, and leave it
>> be.
>>
>> If you find yourself being impersonated or wrongly implicated in this
>> latest round of troublemaking, don't fret. Nobody will hold it against
>> you, and in fact you'll have everyone's sympathies.
>>
>> Austin

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group

Nurunnaby Hasive-3
+1 Karthik. Better to report the group.

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Karthik Nadar <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I think it will be better if most of us can "Report the Group".
>

> Regards from Mumbai,
> Karthik Nadar.
>
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Vishnu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the alert, Austin!
> >
> > Vishnu
> >

> > On 01/07/2015 11:56 PM, Austin Hair wrote:
> >
> >> You may have already received a message indicating that you've been
> >> added to the "Wikimedia-l" Google Group; if not, you likely will soon.
> >>
> >> In case it's not clear, this Google Group is in no way affiliated with
> >> Wikimedia-l, the Wikimedia Foundation, me, or anybody you'd ever want
> >> to be friends with.
> >>
> >> If you do find yourself subscribed, I strongly urge you not to engage
> >> in any way. Report it to Google (not to me or the list) as an abusive
> >> subscription using the link at the bottom of the message, and leave it
> >> be.
> >>
> >> If you find yourself being impersonated or wrongly implicated in this
> >> latest round of troublemaking, don't fret. Nobody will hold it against
> >> you, and in fact you'll have everyone's sympathies.
> >>
> >> Austin

*Nurunnaby Chowdhury Hasive :: নুরুন্নবী চৌধুরী হাছিব*
Global User: Nhasive <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Nhasive>

Administrator | Bengali Wikipedia
<http://bn.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:nhasive>
Member | IEG Committee, Wikimedia Foundation
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/People>
Director | Wikimedia Bangladesh Operations Committee
<http://www.wikimedia.org.bd>

fb.com/nhasive | @nhasive <http://www.twitter.com/nhasive> | Skype: nhasive
| www.nhasive.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group

Austin Hair
Yes. As stated in my original messages, you can (and should) use the
"report" link at the bottom of the subscription e-mail.

Austin

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 6:41 AM, Nurunnaby Hasive
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1 Karthik. Better to report the group.
>
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Karthik Nadar <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I think it will be better if most of us can "Report the Group".

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group

MZMcBride-2
Austin Hair wrote:
>You may have already received a message indicating that you've been
>added to the "Wikimedia-l" Google Group; if not, you likely will soon.

I've had difficulty using the Web unsubscribe form, so I've been
unsubscribing from this repeated stupidity exclusively via e-mail, which
seems to work much better.

For example, you can e-mail [hidden email] to
begin the process. You'll receive a confirmation e-mail, you reply to the
confirmation e-mail, and then you're successfully unsubscribed.

I already view Google pretty skeptically, but allowing its system to be
abused like this seems downright negligent. Subscribing to a mailing list
should, of course, require confirmation. And lists ("Google Groups") that
are being used only to personate and troll should be disabled immediately.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group

Amazon Sec. Team messages-noreply@amazon.com
Thank you for the tip. "report abuse" did not unsub'ed me somehow.

-Yena Hong (Revi)
http://www.revi.pe.kr
-- Sent from Android --
2015. 1. 9. 오후 11:03에 "MZMcBride" <[hidden email]>님이 작성:

> Austin Hair wrote:
> >You may have already received a message indicating that you've been
> >added to the "Wikimedia-l" Google Group; if not, you likely will soon.
>
> I've had difficulty using the Web unsubscribe form, so I've been
> unsubscribing from this repeated stupidity exclusively via e-mail, which
> seems to work much better.
>
> For example, you can e-mail [hidden email] to
> begin the process. You'll receive a confirmation e-mail, you reply to the
> confirmation e-mail, and then you're successfully unsubscribed.
>
> I already view Google pretty skeptically, but allowing its system to be
> abused like this seems downright negligent. Subscribing to a mailing list
> should, of course, require confirmation. And lists ("Google Groups") that
> are being used only to personate and troll should be disabled immediately.
>
> MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group

Richard Symonds-3
FWIW MZ, I believe mailman allows people to be added without confirmation
too! It's useful for some things, but not for lists like ours.

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

On 9 January 2015 at 14:02, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Austin Hair wrote:
> >You may have already received a message indicating that you've been
> >added to the "Wikimedia-l" Google Group; if not, you likely will soon.
>
> I've had difficulty using the Web unsubscribe form, so I've been
> unsubscribing from this repeated stupidity exclusively via e-mail, which
> seems to work much better.
>
> For example, you can e-mail [hidden email] to
> begin the process. You'll receive a confirmation e-mail, you reply to the
> confirmation e-mail, and then you're successfully unsubscribed.
>
> I already view Google pretty skeptically, but allowing its system to be
> abused like this seems downright negligent. Subscribing to a mailing list
> should, of course, require confirmation. And lists ("Google Groups") that
> are being used only to personate and troll should be disabled immediately.
>
> MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group

Marc-Andre
On 15-01-09 09:26 AM, Richard Symonds wrote:
> I believe mailman allows people to be added without confirmation
> too!

It does, our list admins are just too polite to do that to people.

-- Marc

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 3:33 PM, Marc A. Pelletier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 15-01-09 09:26 AM, Richard Symonds wrote:
>>
>> I believe mailman allows people to be added without confirmation
>> too!
>
> It does, our list admins are just too polite to do that to people.

This one is, at least. Wikimedia-l requires e-mail confirmation when
subscribing. (But, yes, that's an option in the software.)

Austin

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group

Ricordisamoa
Thanks for the notice. I unsubscribed some hours ago and got
resubscribed again...

Il 07/01/2015 19:26, Austin Hair ha scritto:

> You may have already received a message indicating that you've been
> added to the "Wikimedia-l" Google Group; if not, you likely will soon.
>
> In case it's not clear, this Google Group is in no way affiliated with
> Wikimedia-l, the Wikimedia Foundation, me, or anybody you'd ever want
> to be friends with.
>
> If you do find yourself subscribed, I strongly urge you not to engage
> in any way. Report it to Google (not to me or the list) as an abusive
> subscription using the link at the bottom of the message, and leave it
> be.
>
> If you find yourself being impersonated or wrongly implicated in this
> latest round of troublemaking, don't fret. Nobody will hold it against
> you, and in fact you'll have everyone's sympathies.
>
> Austin

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group

Thyge
My experience is the same :-(

> Thanks for the notice. I unsubscribed some hours ago and got resubscribed
> again...
>
> Il 07/01/2015 19:26, Austin Hair ha scritto:
>
>  You may have already received a message indicating that you've been
>> added to the "Wikimedia-l" Google Group; if not, you likely will soon.
>>
>> In case it's not clear, this Google Group is in no way affiliated with
>> Wikimedia-l, the Wikimedia Foundation, me, or anybody you'd ever want
>> to be friends with.
>>
>> If you do find yourself subscribed, I strongly urge you not to engage
>> in any way. Report it to Google (not to me or the list) as an abusive
>> subscription using the link at the bottom of the message, and leave it
>> be.
>>
>> If you find yourself being impersonated or wrongly implicated in this
>> latest round of troublemaking, don't fret. Nobody will hold it against
>> you, and in fact you'll have everyone's sympathies.
>>
>> Austin

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group

Charles Gregory-2
I believe the problem occurs if you use a gmail (or domain with google
apps) email address which differs to the email address you were subscribed
to the list with.  Being a Google service, the group interface tries to use
your gmail account.  MZ's email method works well!

If you need the direct link to report the group, you can use
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/wikimedia-l/abuse.

Regards,

Charles / User:Chuq

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 5:43 AM, Thyge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My experience is the same :-(

> > Thanks for the notice. I unsubscribed some hours ago and got resubscribed
> > again...
> >
> > Il 07/01/2015 19:26, Austin Hair ha scritto:
> >
> >  You may have already received a message indicating that you've been
> >> added to the "Wikimedia-l" Google Group; if not, you likely will soon.
> >>
> >> In case it's not clear, this Google Group is in no way affiliated with
> >> Wikimedia-l, the Wikimedia Foundation, me, or anybody you'd ever want
> >> to be friends with.
> >>
> >> If you do find yourself subscribed, I strongly urge you not to engage
> >> in any way. Report it to Google (not to me or the list) as an abusive
> >> subscription using the link at the bottom of the message, and leave it
> >> be.
> >>
> >> If you find yourself being impersonated or wrongly implicated in this
> >> latest round of troublemaking, don't fret. Nobody will hold it against
> >> you, and in fact you'll have everyone's sympathies.
> >>
> >> Austin

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group

Thyge
No, that is not the case.
I got a confirmation by email about being unsubscribed, and 6 hours later a
new email that I was subscribed again.
Fortunately, this gave me the opportunity to report the group twice.

Regards,
Thyge