[Wikimedia-l] We appear have been partially blocked in France (probably accidentally)

[Wikimedia-l] We appear have been partially blocked in France (probably accidentally)

geni
Apparently on the orders of the french government orange added us to
their blocked terrorist sites list. This did apparently have the fun
effect of  DOS the government page people were redirected to, Source
(among others):

http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/2016/10/17/une-erreur-bloque-l-acces-a-google-pour-les-clients-d-orange_5014900_4408996.html

--
geni

Re: [Wikimedia-l] We appear have been partially blocked in France (probably accidentally)

David Gerard-2
This is the more detailed writeup that Le Monde cribbed from:

http://www.nextinpact.com/news/101786-google-fr-bloque-pour-apologie-terrorisme-orange-invoque-erreur-humaine.htm

and it's hilarious, even in translation.

Orange blames "human error". Indeed.

- d.

On 17 October 2016 at 21:54, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apparently on the orders of the french government orange added us to
> their blocked terrorist sites list. This did apparently have the fun
> effect of  DOS the government page people were redirected to, Source
> (among others):
>
> http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/2016/10/17/une-erreur-
> bloque-l-acces-a-google-pour-les-clients-d-orange_5014900_4408996.html
>

> --
> geni

Re: [Wikimedia-l] We appear have been partially blocked in France (probably accidentally)

John Mark Vandenberg
On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 3:54 AM, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Apparently on the orders of the french government orange added us to
> their blocked terrorist sites list. This did apparently have the fun
> effect of  DOS the government page people were redirected to, Source
> (among others):
>
> http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/2016/10/17/une-erreur-bloque-l-acces-a-google-pour-les-clients-d-orange_5014900_4408996.html

They also added Google to the list..?

http://www.itnews.com.au/news/frances-block-of-google-for-terrorism-melts-govt-server-439591

Workaround: use the Google free DNS.

That is one way to force everyone to learn how to work around service
providers blocking access to terrorist websites.

--
John Vandenberg

Re: [Wikimedia-l] We appear have been partially blocked in France (probably accidentally)

Dan Andreescu
btw, I checked out the traffic from France over the past 30 days and I
don't see an obvious drop, so this doesn't seem to have caused a real drop.