[Wikimedia-l] What kind of ED would you like to see?

[Wikimedia-l] What kind of ED would you like to see?

Lodewijk
(changing the topic, to avoid doing myself what I criticise)
I would suggest you discuss what kind of qualities you seek in an ED, what
kind of person you would be looking for - rather than specific people. That
would actually be an interesting and valuable discussion to have in public,
I'd think.

Public discussions are good, but not every topic is best discussed in
public (like specific people: there's a reason votes on people are
generally secret). That doesn't mean that every non-public discussion leads
to good results :) In the wikiworld I know, when people are being
discussed, they often nominated themselves, or agreed to be nominated. I
know this may be different on enwiki to some extent, maybe that's a
cultural trait. I haven't encountered this in any other wiki (but may have
missed a few).

But a good framework that came out of a public discussion, may help the
non-public discussion about the names a lot.

Anyway, just my two cents. I can't stop you from shouting names of course...

Best,
Lodewijk

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 12:23 AM, Yuri Astrakhan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Lodewijk, this is a very valid point, thanks.  My understanding is that
> this process done in private has lost some of its credibility with the
> staff and the community, and thus I would like to get some understanding on
> how we can do that same process in the open, without offending anyone.  In
> the wiki world, I think most of the time people
> have publicly nominated candidates for various roles, and that has not been
> a concern. Of course the nick names provide some degree of anonymity, so
> this might not be exactly the same.
>
> On Feb 27, 2016 01:57, "Lodewijk" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > While I love public discussions, I must say I always feel a bit awkward
> > discuss people in public, unless there is no other choice.
> >
> > To discuss people without them agreeing to it, may even be considered
> rude
> > by some. You're throwing up names, which can realistically only lead to
> > people supporting it, because if you would be against it, it would
> possibly
> > be a slap in the face of someone you like.
> >
> > If you really see a serious potential candidate, why not send it to the
> > board? or, once a public call is being made, point those people to it.
> >
> > Lodewijk
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 11:31 PM, Yuri Astrakhan <
> [hidden email]
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > For the inside, I would think Yana W would be a good candidate, but as
> > Raul
> > > Veede suggested on FB, it would be bad to loose her expertise in her
> > > current role.
> > >
> > > Dan, I think you are right that we are not yet ready to have a drop-in
> > > replacement simply because we should figure out what went wrong first.
> > > Possibly we shouldn't even have an ED, but rather have a flatter
> > > community-driven committee that allocates funds, and projects getting
> > > resources from it. And this committee would, in affect, be the
> > > direction-determining force.

> been

> feeling
> hearing

> > [hidden email]

> brand
> > > of
> > > position

> awkward
> > start
> > > with a

> > It
> > and

> and
> > we
> > is

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What kind of ED would you like to see?

Marc-Andre
On 2016-02-26 6:39 PM, Lodewijk wrote:
> I would suggest you discuss what kind of qualities you seek in an ED, what
> kind of person you would be looking for - rather than specific people.

Above all, and foremost amongst any quality an ED should have is to be
an *excellent* communicator.  I see the primary role of the ED as the
facilitator-in-chief - it's a little insane to gather around oneself the
best minds to do a job and then try to do that job oneself.

-- Coren / Marc

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What kind of ED would you like to see?

Subramanya Sastry
On 02/26/2016 05:39 PM, Lodewijk wrote:
> I would suggest you discuss what kind of qualities you seek in an ED,

Having more of an attitude stewardship over leadership .. i.e. this is
not a place or space to primarily fulfil personal ambitions.

Subbu.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What kind of ED would you like to see?

Yuri Astrakhan-2
Subbu, one of the chief complains I heard about Lila was that she did not
provide a clear vision. Yet, if we choose stewardship over leadership,
that, at least in my mind, implies more of a mediator than a leader,
without providing any clear vision themselves.  So is vision no longer a
requirement from the ED?

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 3:01 AM, Subramanya Sastry <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 02/26/2016 05:39 PM, Lodewijk wrote:
>
>> I would suggest you discuss what kind of qualities you seek in an ED,
>>

> Having more of an attitude stewardship over leadership .. i.e. this is not
> a place or space to primarily fulfil personal ambitions.
>
> Subbu.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What kind of ED would you like to see?

Greg Grossmeier-2
<quote name="Yuri Astrakhan" date="2016-02-27" time="03:17:36 +0300">
> Subbu, one of the chief complains I heard about Lila was that she did not
> provide a clear vision. Yet, if we choose stewardship over leadership,
> that, at least in my mind, implies more of a mediator than a leader,
> without providing any clear vision themselves.  So is vision no longer a
> requirement from the ED?

Vision shouldn't be a one-person created thing.

Greg

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What kind of ED would you like to see?

Yuri Astrakhan-2
Greg, agree 100%, but that's not how I understood the question and the
results of the staff survey. It seemed the staff expected the vision from
the ED/Management.

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 3:31 AM, Greg Grossmeier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <quote name="Yuri Astrakhan" date="2016-02-27" time="03:17:36 +0300">
> > Subbu, one of the chief complains I heard about Lila was that she did not
> > provide a clear vision. Yet, if we choose stewardship over leadership,
> > that, at least in my mind, implies more of a mediator than a leader,
> > without providing any clear vision themselves.  So is vision no longer a
> > requirement from the ED?
>
> Vision shouldn't be a one-person created thing.
>
> Greg
>
> --
> | Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
> | identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What kind of ED would you like to see?

Leigh Thelmadatter
Should only the staff have a say in this vision?  Almost all, if not all, of this talk is about what the staff wants.

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 03:45:28 +0300
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] What kind of ED would you like to see?
>
> Greg, agree 100%, but that's not how I understood the question and the
> results of the staff survey. It seemed the staff expected the vision from
> the ED/Management.
>
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 3:31 AM, Greg Grossmeier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > <quote name="Yuri Astrakhan" date="2016-02-27" time="03:17:36 +0300">
> > > Subbu, one of the chief complains I heard about Lila was that she did not
> > > provide a clear vision. Yet, if we choose stewardship over leadership,
> > > that, at least in my mind, implies more of a mediator than a leader,
> > > without providing any clear vision themselves.  So is vision no longer a
> > > requirement from the ED?
> >
> > Vision shouldn't be a one-person created thing.
> >
> > Greg
> >
> > --
> > | Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
> > | identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What kind of ED would you like to see?

Greg Grossmeier-2
<quote name="Yuri Astrakhan" date="2016-02-27" time="03:45:28 +0300">
> Greg, agree 100%, but that's not how I understood the question and the
> results of the staff survey. It seemed the staff expected the vision from
> the ED/Management.

I think you're misinterpreting.

The agree/disagree statement was:
"Senior leadership at Wikimedia have communicated a vision that
motivates me"  (7% agree)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2016-01-06/News_and_notes#WMF_staff_morale

See also, this quote in glassdoor, quoted in the Signpost as well:
"The Executive Director unveils a new strategy every three months or
so."

So, it's not that people wanted the vision solely from the
ED/Management, it's that they wanted a not constantly changing one.

This is getting off topic, however.

The point is, a vision does not need to come from one person, which you
agree with. A good vision comes from many people working together
collaboratively. Then sticking with it to see it through. Consistency is
needed in an ED.

Greg

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What kind of ED would you like to see?

Dan Garry
On 26 February 2016 at 16:57, Leigh Thelmadatter <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Should only the staff have a say in this vision?  Almost all, if not all,
> of this talk is about what the staff wants.

You are correct that non-staff should have a say in the vision, of course.
It affects everyone in the movement, as well as our readers.

However, as the staff have been and will be more directly involved with the
Executive Director on a day-to-day level, it seems sensible to consider
such viewpoints carefully.

Dan

--
Dan Garry
Lead Product Manager, Discovery

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What kind of ED would you like to see?

Comet styles
What kind of ED would you like to see?

* Someone who knows how the wiki works or atleast has basic knowledge
on how to "edit" wikis.

* Someone who wants to work on "building" the encyclopaedia, not the
bureaucratic side which our last ED was more focused on.

* Someone willing to work on improving the wiki by working on ways of
creating and increasing our contributor base, we are seriously lacking
in that sector..

* Someone who is so transparent that we could see right through them,
secrecy is what got us in this mess in the first place.

* Someone willing to ensure that the board, the staff and the
community work in 'unison' instead of the former 2 dictating their
policies, views and choices onto the latter.

* Someone willing to take the hard stance and do what's right by the
community instead of allowing the Board and other staff members to
dictate the job for them..

* Someone who puts the Community first ALWAYS. (we do not want another
 issue like 'super-protect' ever again)

That is what I would like our ED to be ...we need an "Executive
DIRECTor", not an "Executive FOLLOWer"

On 2/27/16, Greg Grossmeier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <quote name="Yuri Astrakhan" date="2016-02-27" time="03:45:28 +0300">
>> Greg, agree 100%, but that's not how I understood the question and the
>> results of the staff survey. It seemed the staff expected the vision from
>> the ED/Management.
>
> I think you're misinterpreting.
>
> The agree/disagree statement was:
> "Senior leadership at Wikimedia have communicated a vision that
> motivates me"  (7% agree)
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2016-01-06/News_and_notes#WMF_staff_morale
>
> See also, this quote in glassdoor, quoted in the Signpost as well:
> "The Executive Director unveils a new strategy every three months or
> so."
>
> So, it's not that people wanted the vision solely from the
> ED/Management, it's that they wanted a not constantly changing one.
>
> This is getting off topic, however.
>
> The point is, a vision does not need to come from one person, which you
> agree with. A good vision comes from many people working together
> collaboratively. Then sticking with it to see it through. Consistency is
> needed in an ED.
>
> Greg
>
> --
> | Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
> | identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

Cometstyles

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What kind of ED would you like to see?

George William Herbert
On the Vision thing -

There is a leadership vision, and an organizational/movement vision.

The leader should articulate theirs.  The organizational one needs to come from everyone but would likely be articulated by the ED after that process.

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 26, 2016, at 4:58 PM, Greg Grossmeier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> <quote name="Yuri Astrakhan" date="2016-02-27" time="03:45:28 +0300">
>> Greg, agree 100%, but that's not how I understood the question and the
>> results of the staff survey. It seemed the staff expected the vision from
>> the ED/Management.
>
> I think you're misinterpreting.
>
> The agree/disagree statement was:
> "Senior leadership at Wikimedia have communicated a vision that
> motivates me"  (7% agree)
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2016-01-06/News_and_notes#WMF_staff_morale
>
> See also, this quote in glassdoor, quoted in the Signpost as well:
> "The Executive Director unveils a new strategy every three months or
> so."
>
> So, it's not that people wanted the vision solely from the
> ED/Management, it's that they wanted a not constantly changing one.
>
> This is getting off topic, however.
>
> The point is, a vision does not need to come from one person, which you
> agree with. A good vision comes from many people working together
> collaboratively. Then sticking with it to see it through. Consistency is
> needed in an ED.
>
> Greg
>
> --
> | Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
> | identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What kind of ED would you like to see?

Balázs Viczián
Hi all,

reading all the above, my 2 cents would be: Internal promotion (in a
broader sense: a current or ex-employee or someone 'close and experienced
enough').

First as interim (as a 'probation period') then if the staff feedback meets
the pre-agreed satisfaction level on agreed key areas, as permanent.

Balazs
2016.02.27. 5:24, "George Herbert" <[hidden email]> ezt írta:

> On the Vision thing -
>
> There is a leadership vision, and an organizational/movement vision.
>
> The leader should articulate theirs.  The organizational one needs to come
> from everyone but would likely be articulated by the ED after that process.
>
> George William Herbert
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Feb 26, 2016, at 4:58 PM, Greg Grossmeier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > <quote name="Yuri Astrakhan" date="2016-02-27" time="03:45:28 +0300">
> >> Greg, agree 100%, but that's not how I understood the question and the
> >> results of the staff survey. It seemed the staff expected the vision
> from
> >> the ED/Management.
> >
> > I think you're misinterpreting.
> >
> > The agree/disagree statement was:
> > "Senior leadership at Wikimedia have communicated a vision that
> > motivates me"  (7% agree)
> >

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2016-01-06/News_and_notes#WMF_staff_morale
> >
> > See also, this quote in glassdoor, quoted in the Signpost as well:
> > "The Executive Director unveils a new strategy every three months or
> > so."
> >
> > So, it's not that people wanted the vision solely from the
> > ED/Management, it's that they wanted a not constantly changing one.
> >
> > This is getting off topic, however.
> >
> > The point is, a vision does not need to come from one person, which you
> > agree with. A good vision comes from many people working together
> > collaboratively. Then sticking with it to see it through. Consistency is
> > needed in an ED.
> >
> > Greg
> >
> > --
> > | Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
> > | identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What kind of ED would you like to see?

shola ishola
This is wonderful,

I want a ED with following attributes:

1. Someone that is grounded in global politics ‎as it affects the operations of the movement.
2. Some that has grown within the rank and file of the Wikimedia foundation .
3. ‎Someone that is strategic in implementation of policies
4. Someone with foresight.
5. Someone that understand the dynamics of the movement, in term of different people, races, nationalities, ideas, believes and religions encompasses in wikimedia foundation.
6. A global player in term of management of the diversity of the communities within the  Wikimedia Foundation. .
7.Team player.
8. Someone that understand the impact of relationship between the BOT, staff of WMT and the community.
9. Peace maker and bold person.
10. A creative minded ED
11. Someone who has direct contact with the various communities.   ‎
12. Someone which is not bias in term of taking decision.
13. Proactive ‎

Olaniyan Olushola
Team Lead, WUGN

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
* Someone who knows how the wiki works or atleast has basic knowledge
on how to "edit" wikis.

* Someone who wants to work on "building" the encyclopaedia, not the
bureaucratic side which our last ED was more focused on.

* Someone willing to work on improving the wiki by working on ways of
creating and increasing our contributor base, we are seriously lacking
in that sector..

* Someone who is so transparent that we could see right through them,
secrecy is what got us in this mess in the first place.

* Someone willing to ensure that the board, the staff and the
community work in 'unison' instead of the former 2 dictating their
policies, views and choices onto the latter.

* Someone willing to take the hard stance and do what's right by the
community instead of allowing the Board and other staff members to
dictate the job for them..

* Someone who puts the Community first ALWAYS. (we do not want another
issue like 'super-protect' ever again)

That is what I would like our ED to be ...we need an "Executive
DIRECTor", not an "Executive FOLLOWer"

On 2/27/16, Greg Grossmeier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <quote name="Yuri Astrakhan" date="2016-02-27" time="03:45:28 +0300">
>> Greg, agree 100%, but that's not how I understood the question and the
>> results of the staff survey. It seemed the staff expected the vision from
>> the ED/Management.
>
> I think you're misinterpreting.
>
> The agree/disagree statement was:
> "Senior leadership at Wikimedia have communicated a vision that
> motivates me" (7% agree)
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2016-01-06/News_and_notes#WMF_staff_morale
>
> See also, this quote in glassdoor, quoted in the Signpost as well:
> "The Executive Director unveils a new strategy every three months or
> so."
>
> So, it's not that people wanted the vision solely from the
> ED/Management, it's that they wanted a not constantly changing one.
>
> This is getting off topic, however.
>
> The point is, a vision does not need to come from one person, which you
> agree with. A good vision comes from many people working together
> collaboratively. Then sticking with it to see it through. Consistency is
> needed in an ED.
>
> Greg
>
> --
> | Greg Grossmeier GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
> | identi.ca: @greg A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

Cometstyles

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What kind of ED would you like to see?

Anthony Cole
Balázs Viczián, regarding "First as interim (as a 'probation period') then
if the staff feedback meets the pre-agreed satisfaction level on agreed key
areas, as permanent."

Well, staff feedback and after independent, critical assessment from each
board member. Earlier in this thread, I think, Pete Forsyth recommends that
the interim ED be clearly and purely an interim, not a probationary ED, and
I'm persuaded by his arguments.

Anthony Cole

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Balázs Viczián <[hidden email]
> [...]

> See also, this quote in glassdoor, quoted in the Signpost as well:
> "The Executive Director unveils a new strategy every three months or
> so."
>
> So, it's not that people wanted the vision solely from the
> ED/Management, it's that they wanted a not constantly changing one.
>
> This is getting off topic, however.
>
> The point is, a vision does not need to come from one person, which you
> agree with. A good vision comes from many people working together
> collaboratively. Then sticking with it to see it through. Consistency is
> needed in an ED.
>
> Greg
>
> --
> | Greg Grossmeier GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
> | identi.ca: @greg A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

Cometstyles

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What kind of ED would you like to see?

David Goodman-2
The critical role of the head of an organization which nobody else can
perform in the appointment , coordination,  and retention of the senior
staff who directly report to her.  Everythign else listed can in principal
at least be done by others. But in some organizations the Board also has a
role in at least approving such appointments; I do not know what is the
situation at the WMF.

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 9:03 AM, Olaniyan Olushola <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> This is wonderful,
>
> I want a ED with following attributes:
>
> 1. Someone that is grounded in global politics ‎as it affects the
> operations of the movement.
> 2. Some that has grown within the rank and file of the Wikimedia
> foundation .
> 3. ‎Someone that is strategic in implementation of policies
> 4. Someone with foresight.
> 5. Someone that understand the dynamics of the movement, in term of
> different people, races, nationalities, ideas, believes and religions
> encompasses in wikimedia foundation.
> 6. A global player in term of management of the diversity of the
> communities within the  Wikimedia Foundation. .
> 7.Team player.
> 8. Someone that understand the impact of relationship between the BOT,
> staff of WMT and the community.
> 9. Peace maker and bold person.
> 10. A creative minded ED
> 11. Someone who has direct contact with the various communities.
> 12. Someone which is not bias in term of taking decision.
> 13. Proactive
>
> Olaniyan Olushola
> Team Lead, WUGN
> Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.