[Wikimedia-l] What's cool?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
39 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Wikimedia-l] What's cool?

phoebe ayers-3
I need a break from thinking about things going wrong. And so per Milos'
observation that discussion here is falling off, I thought I'd start an
open discussion thread about things going right.

What's a cool thing you just discovered or are involved in that is
happening in the Wikimedia world?

My contribution: the SF Wikimedia list just had an announcement about an
edit-a-thon (organized by Jake Orlowitz at the wmf office) that is
happening during the American Libraries Conference, which is in SF this
year. 30,000 librarians attend ALA! I'm super pleased we are infiltrating
library conferences :)

What's happening over in your part of the project?

Phoebe
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's cool?

phoebe ayers-3
Ps Fabrice sent the blog roundup while I was writing this! Those are all
cool things. Would love to learn about more as well.

Phoebe
On Jun 4, 2015 2:41 PM, "phoebe ayers" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I need a break from thinking about things going wrong. And so per Milos'
> observation that discussion here is falling off, I thought I'd start an
> open discussion thread about things going right.
>
> What's a cool thing you just discovered or are involved in that is
> happening in the Wikimedia world?
>
> My contribution: the SF Wikimedia list just had an announcement about an
> edit-a-thon (organized by Jake Orlowitz at the wmf office) that is
> happening during the American Libraries Conference, which is in SF this
> year. 30,000 librarians attend ALA! I'm super pleased we are infiltrating
> library conferences :)
>
> What's happening over in your part of the project?
>
> Phoebe
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's cool?

Milos Rancic-2
In reply to this post by phoebe ayers-3
Huh, I didn't have intention to make anyone depressive. It's been call to
action and you've just made one :)

Before I give one very nice report from languages list, I want to make one
point...

It is very easy to change the culture. It's easier than to make a good
software and definitely much easier than to create the biggest encyclopedia
in human history.

Everything what we need is to change collective attitude from "we can't" to
"we can". And whenever a fellow Wikimedian start thinking negatively, we
should remind him or her that it's a wrong way of thinking. Yes, we can
revive our spirit from the first half of the last decade and we can do that
just if think it's possible. And it is possible, trust me :)

...

Languages list suddenly revived. And during one day we've learned for three
separate initiatives for building Wikipedia articles in a number of Latin
American native languages. That reminded me that there are a lot of people
in the wild willing to work on Wikipedia content, even in many languages
which don't have its edition of Wikipedia yet. And we should start
searching for them collectively.
 On Jun 4, 2015 23:41, "phoebe ayers" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I need a break from thinking about things going wrong. And so per Milos'
> observation that discussion here is falling off, I thought I'd start an
> open discussion thread about things going right.
>
> What's a cool thing you just discovered or are involved in that is
> happening in the Wikimedia world?
>
> My contribution: the SF Wikimedia list just had an announcement about an
> edit-a-thon (organized by Jake Orlowitz at the wmf office) that is
> happening during the American Libraries Conference, which is in SF this
> year. 30,000 librarians attend ALA! I'm super pleased we are infiltrating
> library conferences :)
>
> What's happening over in your part of the project?
>
> Phoebe
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's cool?

phoebe ayers-3
On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Milos Rancic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Huh, I didn't have intention to make anyone depressive.

You didn't! I was thinking of other unrelated things. :)

>
> Languages list suddenly revived. And during one day we've learned for three
> separate initiatives for building Wikipedia articles in a number of Latin
> American native languages. That reminded me that there are a lot of people
> in the wild willing to work on Wikipedia content, even in many languages
> which don't have its edition of Wikipedia yet. And we should start
> searching for them collectively.

Very cool! Which languages?

Phoebe


--
* I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers
<at> gmail.com *

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's cool?

Milos Rancic-2
On Jun 5, 2015 03:01, "phoebe ayers" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Milos Rancic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Huh, I didn't have intention to make anyone depressive.
>
> You didn't! I was thinking of other unrelated things. :)

Glad to hear that :) I mean, at least I am not the cause...

> > Languages list suddenly revived. And during one day we've learned for
three
> > separate initiatives for building Wikipedia articles in a number of
Latin
> > American native languages. That reminded me that there are a lot of
people
> > in the wild willing to work on Wikipedia content, even in many languages
> > which don't have its edition of Wikipedia yet. And we should start
> > searching for them collectively.
>
> Very cool! Which languages?

Global Voices folk are going to Bogota and one Wayuu speaker will join
them. We have incubator project.

Similarly, French Wikimedian Sylvain Mailler is working on Kichwa Incubator
and he has access to native speakers, as his wife is Kichwa (from Ecuador).

Canadian doctor and Wikipedia activist James Heilman is working on medical
articles in Guarani, Haitan Creole, K'iche', and Quechua. Except Ki'che',
we have projects in all other languages.

Translation companies are donating those translations, which opens
interesting area, that we didn't explore yet.
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's cool?

Luis Villa
In reply to this post by phoebe ayers-3
FWIW, Community Engagement will be doing something similar (mix of
positive-serious with positive-fun)  in metrics meeting every month. You
can see the first iteration during last month's metrics meeting:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Metrics_and_activities_meetings/2015-05

Luis

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 2:44 PM, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ps Fabrice sent the blog roundup while I was writing this! Those are all
> cool things. Would love to learn about more as well.
>
> Phoebe
> On Jun 4, 2015 2:41 PM, "phoebe ayers" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I need a break from thinking about things going wrong. And so per Milos'
> > observation that discussion here is falling off, I thought I'd start an
> > open discussion thread about things going right.
> >
> > What's a cool thing you just discovered or are involved in that is
> > happening in the Wikimedia world?
> >
> > My contribution: the SF Wikimedia list just had an announcement about an
> > edit-a-thon (organized by Jake Orlowitz at the wmf office) that is
> > happening during the American Libraries Conference, which is in SF this
> > year. 30,000 librarians attend ALA! I'm super pleased we are infiltrating
> > library conferences :)
> >
> > What's happening over in your part of the project?
> >
> > Phoebe
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>


--
Luis Villa
Sr. Director of Community Engagement
Wikimedia Foundation
*Working towards a world in which every single human being can freely share
in the sum of all knowledge.*
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's cool?

Dan Rosenthal
"What's a cool thing you just discovered or are involved in that is
happening in the Wikimedia world?"

That the WMF is one of the charities in this week's Humble Bundle (along
with MSF and charity:water) -- and it's actually a pretty good bundle.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Dan Rosenthal

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 9:57 PM, Luis Villa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FWIW, Community Engagement will be doing something similar (mix of
> positive-serious with positive-fun)  in metrics meeting every month. You
> can see the first iteration during last month's metrics meeting:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Metrics_and_activities_meetings/2015-05
>
> Luis
>
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 2:44 PM, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Ps Fabrice sent the blog roundup while I was writing this! Those are all
> > cool things. Would love to learn about more as well.
> >
> > Phoebe
> > On Jun 4, 2015 2:41 PM, "phoebe ayers" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I need a break from thinking about things going wrong. And so per
> Milos'
> > > observation that discussion here is falling off, I thought I'd start an
> > > open discussion thread about things going right.
> > >
> > > What's a cool thing you just discovered or are involved in that is
> > > happening in the Wikimedia world?
> > >
> > > My contribution: the SF Wikimedia list just had an announcement about
> an
> > > edit-a-thon (organized by Jake Orlowitz at the wmf office) that is
> > > happening during the American Libraries Conference, which is in SF this
> > > year. 30,000 librarians attend ALA! I'm super pleased we are
> infiltrating
> > > library conferences :)
> > >
> > > What's happening over in your part of the project?
> > >
> > > Phoebe
> > >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> > [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> > <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Luis Villa
> Sr. Director of Community Engagement
> Wikimedia Foundation
> *Working towards a world in which every single human being can freely share
> in the sum of all knowledge.*
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's cool?

metasj
On Jun 4, 2015 11:21 PM, "Dan Rosenthal" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> l That the WMF is one of the charities in this week's Humble Bundle (along
> with MSF and charity:water)

That's a wonderful charity trio to be part of!  Thanks for sharing.
(Phoebe, great idea :)

I discovered there is a remaining of stock of 20K Wikireaders that were
half-built, and the owner is trying to arrange for the factory to finish
them and transfer them to the WMF.

Sam
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's cool?

Amir E. Aharoni
In reply to this post by phoebe ayers-3
I am AWFULLY biased about this, but I'll be shameless anyway; please slap
me if I overstep the self-promotion.

I did a Wikipedia editing workshop in the University of South Africa in
Pretoria yesterday. As far as I know, it was the first one ever that
focused on using the recently enabled ContentTranslation beta feature. It
was six hours long and had nine participants, only two of whom had any
editing experience. It produced *fourteen* complete articles in Zulu,
Xhosa, Sotho, Tswana, Afrikaans and French. Except the latter two, the
Wikipedias in these languages are barely active.

I conducted dozens of editing workshops, and this one was, by far, the most
productive ever by the amount of content created, considering the time and
the participants' experience. Time will tell how well can it be replicated
and improved upon and how many participants will stick, but I'm optimistic.

I'll write a more detailed post later today.
בתאריך 5 ביוני 2015 00:41,‏ "phoebe ayers" <[hidden email]> כתב:

> I need a break from thinking about things going wrong. And so per Milos'
> observation that discussion here is falling off, I thought I'd start an
> open discussion thread about things going right.
>
> What's a cool thing you just discovered or are involved in that is
> happening in the Wikimedia world?
>
> My contribution: the SF Wikimedia list just had an announcement about an
> edit-a-thon (organized by Jake Orlowitz at the wmf office) that is
> happening during the American Libraries Conference, which is in SF this
> year. 30,000 librarians attend ALA! I'm super pleased we are infiltrating
> library conferences :)
>
> What's happening over in your part of the project?
>
> Phoebe
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's cool?

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Jura1 created a list using the latest software by Magnus of people who died
in Brazil this year. Magnus added functionality to the template so that it
is really easy to add images that are missing. This list makes use of
Wikidata and it gets updated by a bot. It may live on any Wikipedia.
Thanks,
     GerardM

https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:Jura1/Recent_deaths_in_Brazil

On 5 June 2015 at 07:55, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I am AWFULLY biased about this, but I'll be shameless anyway; please slap
> me if I overstep the self-promotion.
>
> I did a Wikipedia editing workshop in the University of South Africa in
> Pretoria yesterday. As far as I know, it was the first one ever that
> focused on using the recently enabled ContentTranslation beta feature. It
> was six hours long and had nine participants, only two of whom had any
> editing experience. It produced *fourteen* complete articles in Zulu,
> Xhosa, Sotho, Tswana, Afrikaans and French. Except the latter two, the
> Wikipedias in these languages are barely active.
>
> I conducted dozens of editing workshops, and this one was, by far, the most
> productive ever by the amount of content created, considering the time and
> the participants' experience. Time will tell how well can it be replicated
> and improved upon and how many participants will stick, but I'm optimistic.
>
> I'll write a more detailed post later today.
> בתאריך 5 ביוני 2015 00:41,‏ "phoebe ayers" <[hidden email]> כתב:
>
> > I need a break from thinking about things going wrong. And so per Milos'
> > observation that discussion here is falling off, I thought I'd start an
> > open discussion thread about things going right.
> >
> > What's a cool thing you just discovered or are involved in that is
> > happening in the Wikimedia world?
> >
> > My contribution: the SF Wikimedia list just had an announcement about an
> > edit-a-thon (organized by Jake Orlowitz at the wmf office) that is
> > happening during the American Libraries Conference, which is in SF this
> > year. 30,000 librarians attend ALA! I'm super pleased we are infiltrating
> > library conferences :)
> >
> > What's happening over in your part of the project?
> >
> > Phoebe
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> > [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> > <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's cool?

Bishakha Datta
That we had the highest-ever votes in a Wikimedia Foundation board election
- and participation from many more wikis.

Cheers
Bishakha
On 5 Jun 2015 13:01, "Gerard Meijssen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hoi,
> Jura1 created a list using the latest software by Magnus of people who died
> in Brazil this year. Magnus added functionality to the template so that it
> is really easy to add images that are missing. This list makes use of
> Wikidata and it gets updated by a bot. It may live on any Wikipedia.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM
>
> https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:Jura1/Recent_deaths_in_Brazil
>
> On 5 June 2015 at 07:55, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I am AWFULLY biased about this, but I'll be shameless anyway; please slap
> > me if I overstep the self-promotion.
> >
> > I did a Wikipedia editing workshop in the University of South Africa in
> > Pretoria yesterday. As far as I know, it was the first one ever that
> > focused on using the recently enabled ContentTranslation beta feature. It
> > was six hours long and had nine participants, only two of whom had any
> > editing experience. It produced *fourteen* complete articles in Zulu,
> > Xhosa, Sotho, Tswana, Afrikaans and French. Except the latter two, the
> > Wikipedias in these languages are barely active.
> >
> > I conducted dozens of editing workshops, and this one was, by far, the
> most
> > productive ever by the amount of content created, considering the time
> and
> > the participants' experience. Time will tell how well can it be
> replicated
> > and improved upon and how many participants will stick, but I'm
> optimistic.
> >
> > I'll write a more detailed post later today.
> > בתאריך 5 ביוני 2015 00:41,‏ "phoebe ayers" <[hidden email]> כתב:
> >
> > > I need a break from thinking about things going wrong. And so per
> Milos'
> > > observation that discussion here is falling off, I thought I'd start an
> > > open discussion thread about things going right.
> > >
> > > What's a cool thing you just discovered or are involved in that is
> > > happening in the Wikimedia world?
> > >
> > > My contribution: the SF Wikimedia list just had an announcement about
> an
> > > edit-a-thon (organized by Jake Orlowitz at the wmf office) that is
> > > happening during the American Libraries Conference, which is in SF this
> > > year. 30,000 librarians attend ALA! I'm super pleased we are
> infiltrating
> > > library conferences :)
> > >
> > > What's happening over in your part of the project?
> > >
> > > Phoebe
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> > > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> > > [hidden email]
> > > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> > > <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> > [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> > <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's cool?

Quim Gil-2
In reply to this post by phoebe ayers-3
At least 33 hackathon projects were developed and showcased in 3 days, all
crowd-documented at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T96378 before the end
of the event. Unseen in Wikimedia as far as I'm aware, and we'll try again
in Wikimania

For instance, Experiment with video.js was basically a one-person-three-day
effort (but not just any person, TheDJ no less), and it was demoed with a
functional and funny sneak preview.
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T100106

--
Quim Gil
Engineering Community Manager @ Wikimedia Foundation
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's cool?

Sam Klein
In reply to this post by Amir E. Aharoni
On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 1:55 AM, Amir E. Aharoni <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> please slap me if I overstep the self-promotion.
>

No no, please go on.  This is one of the best wiki tools in a while.

I did a Wikipedia editing workshop in the University of South Africa in
> Pretoria yesterday.
>

Next time: video? !

Quim writes:
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T96378  (33 hackathon events)
> Experiment with video.js was basically a one-person-three-day [TheDJ
special]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T100106

Very neat.  Does this work with popcorn?
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's cool?

Pine W
I felt that this year's elections went remarkably smoothly. I believe that
we have the Elections Committee and its tireless leader Varnet, project
manager James Alexander, and the SecurePoll devs to thank. There were a few
technical issues but overall I feel that everyone did a very fine job.

Pine
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's cool?

Derk-Jan Hartman
In reply to this post by Sam Klein

> On 6 jun. 2015, at 17:25, Quim Gil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi, just in case you have missed this thread in Wikimedia where I mentioned you, and now SJ asks.
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Sam Klein <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> Date: Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 2:26 AM
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's cool?
> To: Wikimedia Mailing List <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>
> Quim writes:
> > https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T96378 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T96378>  (33 hackathon events)
> > Experiment with video.js was basically a one-person-three-day [TheDJ
> special]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T100106 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T100106>
>
> Very neat.  Does this work with popcorn?
I guess with popcorn, you mean popcornjs.org <http://popcornjs.org/>. In that case, no, it works with https://videojs.com <https://videojs.com/>
The point was to show how easy it would be to replace what we have now, with something better and I just wanted to get something of the ground and demonstrable.

I picked the most popular/active github project, and that seems to be videojs.com <http://videojs.com/> at this moment in time. I did also consider popcornjs actually, but it seems more an experiment with temporal events, then focusing on being a good extensible player that everyone wants to use (no offense to that team, but that was the first impression).

Anyway, both of them would still require significant time to get it to production. But both of them will be easier to maintain than (fixing) what we have right now.

Ideally, I think we will want to make sure that players can be used interchangeably, just based on the the information in the DOM. I’m looking at defining some extensions hooks, so that we can decouple players from the TimedMediaHandler extension.

And we will need brion’s ogv.js https://brionv.com/misc/ogv.js/demo/ <https://brionv.com/misc/ogv.js/demo/> work to support browsers without OGV/WebM support.

DJ

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>

signature.asc (817 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's cool?

Ori Livneh
In reply to this post by phoebe ayers-3
On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 2:41 PM, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I need a break from thinking about things going wrong. And so per Milos'
> observation that discussion here is falling off, I thought I'd start an
> open discussion thread about things going right.
>
> What's a cool thing you just discovered or are involved in that is
> happening in the Wikimedia world?
>

Six months ago, the average time it took to save a page was 6.1 seconds.
It's now 1.4 seconds. The performance team is in the process figuring out
our goals for the next quarter and we think we can get to sub-second page
saves by September.
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's cool?

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Ori I am seriously impressed !! WOW
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 8 June 2015 at 07:55, Ori Livneh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 2:41 PM, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I need a break from thinking about things going wrong. And so per Milos'
> > observation that discussion here is falling off, I thought I'd start an
> > open discussion thread about things going right.
> >
> > What's a cool thing you just discovered or are involved in that is
> > happening in the Wikimedia world?
> >
>
> Six months ago, the average time it took to save a page was 6.1 seconds.
> It's now 1.4 seconds. The performance team is in the process figuring out
> our goals for the next quarter and we think we can get to sub-second page
> saves by September.
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's cool?

Brion Vibber-4
In reply to this post by Derk-Jan Hartman
On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 8:49 AM, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:
[re: experiments using video.js to improve UI of TimedMediaHandler]

> And we will need brion’s ogv.js https://brionv.com/misc/ogv.js/demo/ work
> to support browsers without OGV/WebM support.
>

A couple updates on that front:

1) It looks like it should be easy to integrate ogv.js into video.js as a
player tech.

2) I have an early version of WebM decoding in JavaScript
<https://brionv.com/log/2015/06/07/im-in-ur-javascript-decoding-ur-webm/>
working! It's much slower than Ogg but has higher video quality when
there's CPU available for it, as on a fast desktop/laptop that's running
Safari or IE without WebM drivers natively installed.

3) I've also found a combination of free-but-crappy codec options that
works in iOS natively: AVI with Motion-JPEG video and uncompressed audio
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T101716>! To keep the bitrate sane we'll
have to turn quality down, but 5fps and scratchy audio is often better than
nothing. This will work at times when ogv.js can't be used, such as the
embedded web browsers in iPhone apps that haven't updated to Apple's latest
embedding APIs.

-- brion
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's cool?

Lila Tretikov
This is really cool indeed and I am told (by the little birdie) that there
is more we can do. Thank you, team! Awesome!!!

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 9:59 AM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 8:49 AM, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:
> [re: experiments using video.js to improve UI of TimedMediaHandler]
>
> > And we will need brion’s ogv.js https://brionv.com/misc/ogv.js/demo/
> work
> > to support browsers without OGV/WebM support.
> >
>
> A couple updates on that front:
>
> 1) It looks like it should be easy to integrate ogv.js into video.js as a
> player tech.
>
> 2) I have an early version of WebM decoding in JavaScript
> <https://brionv.com/log/2015/06/07/im-in-ur-javascript-decoding-ur-webm/>
> working! It's much slower than Ogg but has higher video quality when
> there's CPU available for it, as on a fast desktop/laptop that's running
> Safari or IE without WebM drivers natively installed.
>
> 3) I've also found a combination of free-but-crappy codec options that
> works in iOS natively: AVI with Motion-JPEG video and uncompressed audio
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T101716>! To keep the bitrate sane
> we'll
> have to turn quality down, but 5fps and scratchy audio is often better than
> nothing. This will work at times when ogv.js can't be used, such as the
> embedded web browsers in iPhone apps that haven't updated to Apple's latest
> embedding APIs.
>
> -- brion
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's cool?

Jan Ainali-2
Perhaps a bit early of the roundup of the Wikidata Menu Challenge, but I
think it is cool so I'll share it already. Some stats (thanks to André
Costa for collecting it) on the 300 items in the challenge:

Month of the challenge (and a few days afterwards) (2015-05-08 -
2015-06-08):
{
    "users": 183,
    "bytes_added": 1832120,
    "edits": 9057
}

To be compared with the month before the challenge: (2015-04-04 -
2015-05-01)
{
    "users": 132,
    "bytes_added": 71879,
    "edits": 493
}


*Med vänliga hälsningar,Jan Ainali*

Verksamhetschef, Wikimedia Sverige <http://wikimedia.se>
0729 - 67 29 48


*Tänk dig en värld där varje människa har fri tillgång till mänsklighetens
samlade kunskap. Det är det vi gör.*
Bli medlem. <http://blimedlem.wikimedia.se>


2015-06-10 22:15 GMT+02:00 Lila Tretikov <[hidden email]>:

> This is really cool indeed and I am told (by the little birdie) that there
> is more we can do. Thank you, team! Awesome!!!
>
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 9:59 AM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 8:49 AM, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:
> > [re: experiments using video.js to improve UI of TimedMediaHandler]
> >
> > > And we will need brion’s ogv.js https://brionv.com/misc/ogv.js/demo/
> > work
> > > to support browsers without OGV/WebM support.
> > >
> >
> > A couple updates on that front:
> >
> > 1) It looks like it should be easy to integrate ogv.js into video.js as a
> > player tech.
> >
> > 2) I have an early version of WebM decoding in JavaScript
> > <https://brionv.com/log/2015/06/07/im-in-ur-javascript-decoding-ur-webm/
> >
> > working! It's much slower than Ogg but has higher video quality when
> > there's CPU available for it, as on a fast desktop/laptop that's running
> > Safari or IE without WebM drivers natively installed.
> >
> > 3) I've also found a combination of free-but-crappy codec options that
> > works in iOS natively: AVI with Motion-JPEG video and uncompressed audio
> > <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T101716>! To keep the bitrate sane
> > we'll
> > have to turn quality down, but 5fps and scratchy audio is often better
> than
> > nothing. This will work at times when ogv.js can't be used, such as the
> > embedded web browsers in iPhone apps that haven't updated to Apple's
> latest
> > embedding APIs.
> >
> > -- brion
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> > [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> > <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
12