[Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 19 March 2017)

[Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 19 March 2017)

Pine W
Borrowing an idea from Wikipedia Weekly, I think it would be nice to have a
thread about the good things that are happening around the Wikimedia
universe. If people enjoy this then it can be started (by anyone) on a
weekly basis.

My comment for this week: I enjoyed reading a post from the Wikimedia blog:
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/03/21/why-i-elements/: "Why I periodically
write about the elements on Wikipedia", by Mikhail Boldyrev.

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 19 March 2017)

Amir E. Aharoni
Here's what making me happy this week:

The Hebrew Wikipedia community completed initial training of ORES, so ORES
can be enabled in this language soon.

48 Wikipedians manually examined 5000 random diffs and marked them as
damaging or not, and whether they appear to have been done in good faith or
not.

If you keep hearing about ORES and you have not idea what it actually is,
then you'll be able to see it very soon in Recent Changes in the English
Wikipedia. I tried it briefly, and I was amazed: it guessed pretty well
which recent changes are likely to be vandalism. This technology is likely
to revolutionize how Wikimedians patrol their wikis for bad edits, and make
unintentionally bad edits less damaging.

If you'd like to add ORES support for your wiki, look at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_labels

Kudos to users EpochFail, Ladsgroup, Mooeypoo and everybody else involved
for making this possible.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

> Borrowing an idea from Wikipedia Weekly, I think it would be nice to have a
> thread about the good things that are happening around the Wikimedia
> universe. If people enjoy this then it can be started (by anyone) on a
> weekly basis.
>
> My comment for this week: I enjoyed reading a post from the Wikimedia blog:
> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/03/21/why-i-elements/: "Why I periodically
> write about the elements on Wikipedia", by Mikhail Boldyrev.
>
> Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 19 March 2017)

Natacha Rault
Here what's making me happy this week!
The filmed conference on non sexist language in French that we held at the francophone wikiconvention in Paris in august 2016 was elected media of the day on commons last tuesday.
Four of the women we trained last year in a gender gap contribution workshop in Lausanne asked us to do another in Sion (Canton of Valais in Switzerland) and we have 19 participants! Some of them registered in the WikiMooc, the french free massive online open course to learn how to edit Wikipedia.
So I have a sense that we are really building a community here and this makes me feel that all the time invested was worth and it was not only something evolving around national issues but truly about something global going over national identities and bridging cultural and ideological gaps as well.

Nattes à chat

> Le 22 mars 2017 à 21:56, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Here's what making me happy this week:
>
> The Hebrew Wikipedia community completed initial training of ORES, so ORES
> can be enabled in this language soon.
>
> 48 Wikipedians manually examined 5000 random diffs and marked them as
> damaging or not, and whether they appear to have been done in good faith or
> not.
>
> If you keep hearing about ORES and you have not idea what it actually is,
> then you'll be able to see it very soon in Recent Changes in the English
> Wikipedia. I tried it briefly, and I was amazed: it guessed pretty well
> which recent changes are likely to be vandalism. This technology is likely
> to revolutionize how Wikimedians patrol their wikis for bad edits, and make
> unintentionally bad edits less damaging.
>
> If you'd like to add ORES support for your wiki, look at
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_labels
>
> Kudos to users EpochFail, Ladsgroup, Mooeypoo and everybody else involved
> for making this possible.

> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> ‪“We're living in pieces,
> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

>> Borrowing an idea from Wikipedia Weekly, I think it would be nice to have a
>> thread about the good things that are happening around the Wikimedia
>> universe. If people enjoy this then it can be started (by anyone) on a
>> weekly basis.
>>
>> My comment for this week: I enjoyed reading a post from the Wikimedia blog:
>> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/03/21/why-i-elements/: "Why I periodically
>> write about the elements on Wikipedia", by Mikhail Boldyrev.
>>
>> Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 19 March 2017)

Florence Devouard-6
Eh. We need the link to the movie !

Flo

Le 23/03/2017 à 08:48, Natacha Rault a écrit :

> Here what's making me happy this week!
> The filmed conference on non sexist language in French that we held at the francophone wikiconvention in Paris in august 2016 was elected media of the day on commons last tuesday.
> Four of the women we trained last year in a gender gap contribution workshop in Lausanne asked us to do another in Sion (Canton of Valais in Switzerland) and we have 19 participants! Some of them registered in the WikiMooc, the french free massive online open course to learn how to edit Wikipedia.
> So I have a sense that we are really building a community here and this makes me feel that all the time invested was worth and it was not only something evolving around national issues but truly about something global going over national identities and bridging cultural and ideological gaps as well.
>
> Nattes à chat
>
>> Le 22 mars 2017 à 21:56, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Here's what making me happy this week:
>>
>> The Hebrew Wikipedia community completed initial training of ORES, so ORES
>> can be enabled in this language soon.
>>
>> 48 Wikipedians manually examined 5000 random diffs and marked them as
>> damaging or not, and whether they appear to have been done in good faith or
>> not.
>>
>> If you keep hearing about ORES and you have not idea what it actually is,
>> then you'll be able to see it very soon in Recent Changes in the English
>> Wikipedia. I tried it briefly, and I was amazed: it guessed pretty well
>> which recent changes are likely to be vandalism. This technology is likely
>> to revolutionize how Wikimedians patrol their wikis for bad edits, and make
>> unintentionally bad edits less damaging.
>>
>> If you'd like to add ORES support for your wiki, look at
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_labels
>>
>> Kudos to users EpochFail, Ladsgroup, Mooeypoo and everybody else involved
>> for making this possible.
>>

>> --
>> Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
>> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
>> ‪“We're living in pieces,
>> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

>>> Borrowing an idea from Wikipedia Weekly, I think it would be nice to have a
>>> thread about the good things that are happening around the Wikimedia
>>> universe. If people enjoy this then it can be started (by anyone) on a
>>> weekly basis.
>>>
>>> My comment for this week: I enjoyed reading a post from the Wikimedia blog:
>>> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/03/21/why-i-elements/: "Why I periodically
>>> write about the elements on Wikipedia", by Mikhail Boldyrev.
>>>
>>> Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 19 March 2017)

Natacha Rault
Flo you can find it on youtube and commons under les sans pages.
I am on my mobile now but will send it later!
\o/ let's fill the gender gap cos WikilovesWomen!

> Le 23 mars 2017 à 13:36, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Eh. We need the link to the movie !
>

> Flo
>
>> Le 23/03/2017 à 08:48, Natacha Rault a écrit :
>> Here what's making me happy this week!
>> The filmed conference on non sexist language in French that we held at the francophone wikiconvention in Paris in august 2016 was elected media of the day on commons last tuesday.
>> Four of the women we trained last year in a gender gap contribution workshop in Lausanne asked us to do another in Sion (Canton of Valais in Switzerland) and we have 19 participants! Some of them registered in the WikiMooc, the french free massive online open course to learn how to edit Wikipedia.
>> So I have a sense that we are really building a community here and this makes me feel that all the time invested was worth and it was not only something evolving around national issues but truly about something global going over national identities and bridging cultural and ideological gaps as well.
>>
>> Nattes à chat
>>
>>> Le 22 mars 2017 à 21:56, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>>
>>> Here's what making me happy this week:
>>>
>>> The Hebrew Wikipedia community completed initial training of ORES, so ORES
>>> can be enabled in this language soon.
>>>
>>> 48 Wikipedians manually examined 5000 random diffs and marked them as
>>> damaging or not, and whether they appear to have been done in good faith or
>>> not.
>>>
>>> If you keep hearing about ORES and you have not idea what it actually is,
>>> then you'll be able to see it very soon in Recent Changes in the English
>>> Wikipedia. I tried it briefly, and I was amazed: it guessed pretty well
>>> which recent changes are likely to be vandalism. This technology is likely
>>> to revolutionize how Wikimedians patrol their wikis for bad edits, and make
>>> unintentionally bad edits less damaging.
>>>
>>> If you'd like to add ORES support for your wiki, look at
>>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_labels
>>>
>>> Kudos to users EpochFail, Ladsgroup, Mooeypoo and everybody else involved
>>> for making this possible.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
>>> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
>>> ‪“We're living in pieces,
>>> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 19 March 2017)

Pierre-Selim
In section Media of the Day:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Motd/2017-03#21

File page:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Conf%C3%A9rence_sur_le_langage_%C3%A9pic%C3%A8ne_-_1.webm

> Flo you can find it on youtube and commons under les sans pages.
> I am on my mobile now but will send it later!
> \o/ let's fill the gender gap cos WikilovesWomen!
>
> > Le 23 mars 2017 à 13:36, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
> >
> > Eh. We need the link to the movie !
> >

> > Flo
> >
> >> Le 23/03/2017 à 08:48, Natacha Rault a écrit :
> >> Here what's making me happy this week!
> >> The filmed conference on non sexist language in French that we held at
> the francophone wikiconvention in Paris in august 2016 was elected media of
> the day on commons last tuesday.
> >> Four of the women we trained last year in a gender gap contribution
> workshop in Lausanne asked us to do another in Sion (Canton of Valais in
> Switzerland) and we have 19 participants! Some of them registered in the
> WikiMooc, the french free massive online open course to learn how to edit
> Wikipedia.
> >> So I have a sense that we are really building a community here and this
> makes me feel that all the time invested was worth and it was not only
> something evolving around national issues but truly about something global
> going over national identities and bridging cultural and ideological gaps
> as well.
> >>
> >> Nattes à chat

> ORES

> faith or

> is,
> English
> likely
> make

> involved

> have a

> blog:
> periodically

Pierre-Selim

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 19 March 2017)

Natacha Rault
Ok so here is the link to the film. It is actually the first part of the conference.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File%3AConf%C3%A9rence_sur_le_langage_%C3%A9pic%C3%A8ne_-_1.webm

Cheers,

Natacha

PS in french I'm afraid...
Le 23 mars 2017 à 13:36, Florence Devouard a écrit :

Eh. We need the link to the movie !

Flo

Le 23/03/2017 à 08:48, Natacha Rault a écrit :

> Here what's making me happy this week!
> The filmed conference on non sexist language in French that we held at the francophone wikiconvention in Paris in august 2016 was elected media of the day on commons last tuesday.
> Four of the women we trained last year in a gender gap contribution workshop in Lausanne asked us to do another in Sion (Canton of Valais in Switzerland) and we have 19 participants! Some of them registered in the WikiMooc, the french free massive online open course to learn how to edit Wikipedia.
> So I have a sense that we are really building a community here and this makes me feel that all the time invested was worth and it was not only something evolving around national issues but truly about something global going over national identities and bridging cultural and ideological gaps as well.
>
> Nattes à chat
>
>> Le 22 mars 2017 à 21:56, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Here's what making me happy this week:
>>
>> The Hebrew Wikipedia community completed initial training of ORES, so ORES
>> can be enabled in this language soon.
>>
>> 48 Wikipedians manually examined 5000 random diffs and marked them as
>> damaging or not, and whether they appear to have been done in good faith or
>> not.
>>
>> If you keep hearing about ORES and you have not idea what it actually is,
>> then you'll be able to see it very soon in Recent Changes in the English
>> Wikipedia. I tried it briefly, and I was amazed: it guessed pretty well
>> which recent changes are likely to be vandalism. This technology is likely
>> to revolutionize how Wikimedians patrol their wikis for bad edits, and make
>> unintentionally bad edits less damaging.
>>
>> If you'd like to add ORES support for your wiki, look at
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_labels
>>
>> Kudos to users EpochFail, Ladsgroup, Mooeypoo and everybody else involved
>> for making this possible.
>>

>> --
>> Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
>> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
>> ‪“We're living in pieces,
>> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

>>> Borrowing an idea from Wikipedia Weekly, I think it would be nice to have a
>>> thread about the good things that are happening around the Wikimedia
>>> universe. If people enjoy this then it can be started (by anyone) on a
>>> weekly basis.
>>>
>>> My comment for this week: I enjoyed reading a post from the Wikimedia blog:
>>> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/03/21/why-i-elements/: "Why I periodically
>>> write about the elements on Wikipedia", by Mikhail Boldyrev.
>>>
>>> Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 19 March 2017)

Isarra Yos
Two things: VE has gotten really easy to install, as long as you don't
need the full restbase server (not going into that, not going into that,
not going into that). Which is really cool for third-party projects and
such.

Also a pair of ladies with no prior experience or affiliation with
Wikimedia, Kassondra Cloos of SNEWS and Abigail Wise of Adventure
Projects, decided to host an editathon in Boulder, and the other day met
with a few local more experienced Wikimedians (myself included, along
with two others who actually know about Wikipedia, Todd Allen and Neal
McBurnett) for planning and to sort out some details of how it's
actually going to happen, and it looks like it's apt to be a very
productive event. The thing's going to be on Sunday. Exciting stuff.

-I

On 22/03/17 20:37, Pine W wrote:

> Borrowing an idea from Wikipedia Weekly, I think it would be nice to have a
> thread about the good things that are happening around the Wikimedia
> universe. If people enjoy this then it can be started (by anyone) on a
> weekly basis.
>
> My comment for this week: I enjoyed reading a post from the Wikimedia blog:
> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/03/21/why-i-elements/: "Why I periodically
> write about the elements on Wikipedia", by Mikhail Boldyrev.
>
> Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 19 March 2017)

Chris Koerner
Both great things to hear. Thank you for sharing.

Yours,
Chris K.