[Wikimedia-l] በዚህ ሳምንት እያስደሰቶት ያለው ምንድን ነው? / What’s making you happy this week? (Week of 20 October 2019)

[Wikimedia-l] በዚህ ሳምንት እያስደሰቶት ያለው ምንድን ነው? / What’s making you happy this week? (Week of 20 October 2019)

Pine W
*Preface*

User:Lucas Werkmeister
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Lucas_Werkmeister> started last
week's WMYHTW email thread on Wikimedia-l and I was waiting for an Amharic
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amharic_language> translation, so I decided
to delay this content from the week of 13 October to the week of 20
October. The Amharic translation was kindly provided by User:ክርስቶስሰምራ
<https://am.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:%E1%8A%AD%E1%88%AD%E1%88%B5%E1%89%B6%E1%88%B5%E1%88%B0%E1%88%9D%E1%88%AB>
.

*English Wikiquote of the Day for 30 September*

"Silence is an ocean. Speech is a river. When the ocean is searching for
you, don't walk into the language-river. Listen to the ocean, and bring
your talky business to an end. Traditional words are just babbling in that
presence, and babbling is a substitute for sight."
— Rumi <https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Rumi>

*New affiliate recognitions from the Affiliations Committee*

   - North-West Russia Wiki-Historians User Group
   <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/North-West_Russia_Wiki-Historians_User_Group>
   - Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group
   <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedians_of_Saint_Petersburg_User_Group>
   - Wikimedians of Santali Language User Group
   <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedians_of_Santali_Language_User_Group>
   - Wikimedia Stewards User Group
   <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Stewards_User_Group>

*English Wiktionary Words of the Day*

"pleach" <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pleach>:
(transitive) To unite by interweaving, as (horticulture) branches of
shrubs, trees, etc., to create a hedge; to interlock, to plash.

"dojo" <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dojo>:
1. (martial arts) A training facility, usually led by one or more sensei; a
hall or room used for such training.
2. (by extension) A room or other facility used for other activities, such
as meditation or software development.
3. The dojo loach, Japanese weather loach, or pond loach (*Misgurnus
anguillicaudatus*), a freshwater fish native to East Asia.

"orient" <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/orient>:
1. (transitive) To build or place (something) so as to face eastward.
2. (transitive, by extension) To align or place (a person or object) so
that his, her, or its east side, north side, etc., is positioned toward the
corresponding points of the compass; (specifically, surveying) to rotate (a
map attached to a plane table) until the line of direction between any two
of its points is parallel to the corresponding direction in nature.
3. (transitive) To direct towards or point at a particular direction.
4. (transitive, reflexive) To determine which direction one is facing.
5. (transitive, often reflexive, figuratively) To familiarize (oneself or
someone) with a circumstance or situation.
6. (transitive, figuratively) To set the focus of (something) so as to
appeal or relate to a certain group. 7. (intransitive) To change direction
to face a certain way.

*Images from Commons*

   - Image 1
   <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sunset_in_The_Trossachs,_Scotland.jpg>:
   Sunset in Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loch_Lomond_and_The_Trossachs_National_Park>
   (Scottish Gaelic <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Gaelic_language>:
   *Pàirc Nàiseanta Loch Laomainn is nan Tròisichean*), Scotland
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland>. Photo by User:Podzemnik
   <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Podzemnik>.
   - Image 2
   <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Knapweed_fritillary_(Melitaea_phoebe)_underside_Bulgaria.jpg>:
   Knapweed fritillary
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knapweed_fritillary> (*Melitaea
   phoebe*) butterfly, seen in Bulgaria
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgaria>. Bulgaria declared independence
   on 5 October 1908. Photo by User:Charlesjsharp
   <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Charlesjsharp>.
   - Image 3
   <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Praha_Spanish_Synagogue_Dome_01.jpg>:
   The dome of the Spanish Synagogue (Hebrew
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_language>: בית הכנסת הספרדי, Czech
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_language>: *Španělská synagoga*,
   German <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_language>: *Spanische
   Synagoge*) in Josefov <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josefov>, Prague
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague>, Czech Republic
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_Republic>. Photo by User:Uoaei1
   <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Uoaei1>.
   - Image 4
   <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Spanish_Synagogue_in_Prague_inside.jpg>:
   Another view of the synagogue. Photo by User:Stefan Fadinger
   <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Stefan_Fadinger>.

*Product and Technology news*

   - Desktop Improvements Project Information at mw:Reading/Web/Desktop
   Improvements
   <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web/Desktop_Improvements>.
   - Documentation regarding using Docker for MediaWiki development started
   by David Barratt at mw:Docker/Hub
   <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Docker/Hub>.

*Newsletter news*

   - The final issue of the *Discovery Weekly Update* newsletter was
   published.
   <https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/discovery/2019-September/001798.html>
   Thank you to User:CKoerner (WMF)
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:CKoerner_(WMF)> for writing so many
   issues of the newsletter.
   - The *WikiProject India Newsletter* on Wikidata published its first
   issue
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiProject_India/Newsletter/2019_10_01>
   .
   - The *Technical Community Newsletter* published its first issue
   <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Technical_Community_Newsletter/2019/October>
   .

*Off wiki*

The 2019 Nobel Peace Prize <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Peace_Prize>
was awarded to Abiy Ahmed <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiy_Ahmed>, the
current Prime Minister of Ethiopia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopia>
and a former cyberintelligence
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberintelligence> officer. He helped to
resolve a lengthy armed conflict and has made reforms in Ethiopia's
government. See
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/11/abiy-ahmed-ethiopian-prime-minister-wins-2019-nobel-peace-prize.

Closing comments

Additional translations of the subject line of this email would be
appreciated on Meta
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine/WMYHTW_translations>. Again, thanks
to User:ክርስቶስሰምራ
<https://am.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:%E1%8A%AD%E1%88%AD%E1%88%B5%E1%89%B6%E1%88%B5%E1%88%B0%E1%88%9D%E1%88%AB>
for the Amharic translation. What’s making you happy this week? You are
welcome to write in any language. You are also welcome to start a WMYHTW

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] በዚህ ሳምንት እያስደሰቶት ያለው ምንድን ነው? / What’s making you happy this week? (Week of 20 October 2019)

Subhashish Panigrahi
What's making me happy this week is the news about 21 dictionaries in 21
indigenous languages being relicensed under CC licenses.

On October 17, 21 dictionaries in 21 indigenous languages of the Indian
state of Odisha were relicensed by online education portal Odisha Virtual
Academy under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/>.

https://globalvoices.org/2019/10/19/the-indian-state-of-odisha-publishes-online-dictionaries-in-21-indigenous-languages/

https://twitter.com/creativecommons/status/1184565946834444293

This opens up a whole new world of opportunities—from enhancing Wiktionary
entries in the respective indigenous languages to adding translations on
Wikidata to build translation tools for many languages that don't exist at
the moment to simply adding these books to Wikisource. Odia Wikimedians
User Group member and Wikimedian Sailesh Patnaik (User:Saileshpat) worked
closely with the government officials of the Odisha government's
Electronics and Information Technology Department for a long time for this
negotiation.

Subhashish