[Wikimedia-l] Ի՞նչն է Ձեզ երջանկացնում այս շաբաթ: / What’s making you happy this week? (Week of 22 September 2019)

[Wikimedia-l] Ի՞նչն է Ձեզ երջանկացնում այս շաբաթ: / What’s making you happy this week? (Week of 22 September 2019)

Pine W
Pictures from Armenia

   -

   This image
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mount_Ararat_and_the_Araratian_plain_(cropped).jpg>,
   which was the Picture of the Day for English Wikipedia on 17 September,
   shows Mount Ararat and the Araratian plain seen early morning from near the
   city of Artashat in Armenia. On the center left can be seen the historic
   Khor Virap monastery. The photo was taken by User:Սէրուժ
   <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:%D5%8D%D5%A7%D6%80%D5%B8%D6%82%D5%AA>
   .
   - Closer view
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Monasterio_Khor_Virap,_Armenia,_2016-10-01,_DD_25.jpg>
   of Khor Virap monastery
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Monasterio_Khor_Virap,_Armenia,_2016-10-01,_DD_25.jpg>,
   in a photo by User:Poco a poco
   <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Poco_a_poco>.

Other recent pictures of the day on English Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons

   -

   Schönbühel Castle (Schloss Schönbühel)
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Schloss_Sch%C3%B6nb%C3%BChel_20180919.jpg>
   in Schönbühel-Aggsbach, Lower Austria, in a photo by User:Uoaei1
   <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Uoaei1>
   -

   The Kiss (Der Kuß)
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Kiss_-_Gustav_Klimt_-_Google_Cultural_Institute.jpg>,
   a painting by Austrian artist Gustav Klimt. The scan of the painting was
   made by the Google Art Project, and it was uploaded to Wikimedia
Commons by User:Crisco
   1492 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Crisco_1492>.
   -

   Elizabeth L. Remba Gardner
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Elizabeth_L._Remba_Gardner,_Women%27s_Airforce_Service_Pilots,_NARA-542191.jpg>,
   a member of the United States Women's Airforce Service Pilots (“WASPs”), in
   a photo that was probably taken during World War II. The image was uploaded
   by User:Junkyardsparkle
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Junkyardsparkle>, and edited by
   User:Hohum <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Hohum> and User:Bammesk
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Bammesk>.
   -

   Cinnamon <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cinnamomum_verum_spices.jpg>:
   sticks (ceylon cinnamon from Sri Lanka), powder, and flowers. Created from
   31 images stacked with CombineZP. The image was created by
   User:LivingShadow <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:LivingShadow>.
   -

   Fog in a valley in National Nature Park Synevir
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:21-224-5054_NNP_Synevyr_RB_18.jpg>,
   Zakarpattia Oblast, Ukraine, seen in a photo by User:Rbrechko
   <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Rbrechko>.

Plans for code review office hours

WMF is considering reviving office hours for code review or events that
would serve a similar purpose. See
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2019-September/092565.html.

Here is a demonstration of how to get Wikidata code review done
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:How_to_get_Wikidata_code_review_done.jpg>,
as photographed by Wikidata Product Manager User:Lydia Pintscher (WMDE)
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Lydia_Pintscher_(WMDE)>.

Discovery of interstellar comet 2I/Borisov
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2I/Borisov>

This comet is the second known interstellar object known to be observed in
our solar system. The comet was discovered by amateur astronomer Gennadiy
Vladimirovich Borisov
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gennadiy_Vladimirovich_Borisov> (Russian:
Генна́дий Влади́мирович Бори́сов) in Crimea
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimea>. The English Wikipedia article
regarding the comet was created by User:Kheider
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Kheider> shortly after midnight on 11
September 2019, which is on the same day as, and perhaps as soon as a few
minutes after, the publication of an article about the comet in the popular
astronomy magazine Sky & Telescope. A blurb regarding the comet was
published on English Wikipedia's main page in the section "In the news".

   -

   Animation of interstellar objects 2I/Borisov and ʻOumuamua
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:A_comparison_of_two_interstellar_objects_passing_through_our_solar_system.gif>.
   Click through to the file in order to see the gif animation that was
   created by User:Tony873004
   <https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:Tony873004>.
   -

   ʻOumuamua is the small white dot in this photo
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:A2017U1_5gsmoothWHT_enhanced.jpg>
   that was uploaded by User:Renerpho
   <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Renerpho> and later edited by
   User:Nagualgesign <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Nagualdesign>.

Wiktionary humor

The Wiktionary Word of the Day for International Talk Like a Pirate Day
2019 was “yo-ho-ho <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/yo-ho-ho>”.

Wikiquotes

"History is full of stories, full of triumph and tragedy and battles won
and lost. It is the people who speak to me, the men and women who once
lived and loved and dreamed and grieved, just as we do. Though some may
have had crowns on their heads or blood on their hands, in the end they
were not so different from you and me, and therein lies their fascination.
I suppose I am still a believer in the now unfashionable "heroic" school,
which says that history is shaped by individual men and women and the
choices that they make, by deeds glorious and terrible."

— George R. R. Martin <https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/George_R._R._Martin>,
author of the A Song of Ice and Fire series of fantasy novels that was the
basis for the television series Game of Thrones

"Yes; as the music changes,

Like a prismatic glass,

It takes the light and ranges

Through all the moods that pass;

Dissects the common carnival

Of passions and regrets,

And gives the world a glimpse of all

The colours it forgets."

— Writer Alfred Noyes <https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Alfred_Noyes> of
England, in his poem "The Barrel-Organ"

Closing comments

*The Signpost*'s schedule for this month calls for the end of writing of
contributions on September 29th, and this week's WMYHTW was extensive, so
for both of those reasons my contribution to next week's WMYHTW will be
relatively short.

Translations of the subject line of this email would be appreciated on Meta
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine/WMYHTW_translations>. Thanks to
User:Sigma'am <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Sigma%27am> for the
Armenian translation.

What’s making you happy this week? You are welcome to write in any
language. You are also welcome to start a WMYHTW thread next week.

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Ի՞նչն է Ձեզ երջանկացնում այս շաբաթ: / What’s making you happy this week? (Week of 22 September 2019)

Yaroslav Blanter
Now, what is making me happy this week is that yesterday I completed the
first step of my long-term project at the English Wikipedia. I finished
creating articles on all district centers in Russia. Districts are the
second level administration divisions in Russia (the first level are
federal subjects), there are slightly less than two thousands of them.
District centers could be cities, urban-type settlements (urban localities
toughly equivalent to towns in the UK), and rural localities. When I
started, all articles on Russian towns were already there, but less than a
half of urban-type settlements and rural localities which are district
centers were redlinks. I started creating all of them more than a year ago,
and yesterday I finished the last one remaining. The articles I created are
mainly stubs, with some minimal necessary geographical information,
including population and coordinates, categories, templates etc.

Now I am back to the second step — filling these articles with information.
This is also something I already started (in fact, I started it the first
day I edited the English Wikipedia from my new account in 2011), and for
the time being I have completed writing articles on districts, district
centers, and urban localities in six (out of 83) federal subjects. This is
something I am more proud of, a random example of such an article is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bezhetsky_District . The second step will be
to bring the remaining articles to a comparable level. Since this is not
the only thing I am doing on the English Wikipedia, I can easily imagine it
could take ten years or more. So far nobody else was interested in doing
this work along with me — which is not very surprising, because the
information exists mainly in Russian, and knowledge of Russian beyond the
Google Translate abilities is essential.

A spin-off project I came across and which had to be shelved for a year was
to create articles about all Ukrainian urban localities — I am almost done
there, but last time I checked there were still several dozen articles to
create. I will probably resume it now if there are still some left.

(And another thing I found recently is completely unrelated to the above —
I just discovered that a lot of metro stations do not have articles on the
English Wikipedia, and a lot of those which have do not cite any sources. I
had some fun a couple of weeks ago creating articles on stations of Panama
Metro, and this week I added sources to the articles on Prague Metro, most
of which had zero sources previously).

I realize that many people on the list do not edit projects but edit them
occasionally, and probably do not care much about this obscure type of the
articles, but I still think it is good not to forget why we are here.

Cheers
Yaroslav

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 11:44 PM Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> Closing comments
>

> *The Signpost*'s schedule for this month calls for the end of writing of
> contributions on September 29th, and this week's WMYHTW was extensive, so
> for both of those reasons my contribution to next week's WMYHTW will be
> relatively short.
>
> Translations of the subject line of this email would be appreciated on Meta
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine/WMYHTW_translations>. Thanks to
> User:Sigma'am <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Sigma%27am> for the
> Armenian translation.
>
> What’s making you happy this week? You are welcome to write in any
> language. You are also welcome to start a WMYHTW thread next week.
>

> Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Ի՞նչն է Ձեզ երջանկացնում այս շաբաթ: / What’s making you happy this week? (Week of 22 September 2019)

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Wonderful work congratulations .. I do appreciate your work, in my "Africa
project" I have a record for all the known administrative administrative
entities. It truly is a work in progress and it serves a few purposes.

   - In Wikidata the links for the administrative entities exist and they
   are linked to the one level higher up
   - when the data is used in Listeria lists, the same list may be used for
   multiple Wikipedias, serving multiple languages.
   - it shows the known articles, the difference is straight or italic. It
   is easiest to add names for the higher levels, they will then show in the
   local language properly

The problem with topics that are used a lot but have few devotees is that
it helps when lists like these are available. When you care to, I am happy
to help you set this up for Russia and have the info on more Wikipedias.
Thanks,
    GerardM

PS there is a similar project for India

On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 at 13:53, Yaroslav Blanter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > contributions on September 29th, and this week's WMYHTW was extensive, so
> > for both of those reasons my contribution to next week's WMYHTW will be
> > relatively short.
> >
> > Translations of the subject line of this email would be appreciated on
> Meta
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine/WMYHTW_translations>. Thanks
> > User:Sigma'am <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Sigma%27am> for the
> > Armenian translation.
> >
> > What’s making you happy this week? You are welcome to write in any
> > language. You are also welcome to start a WMYHTW thread next week.
> >

> > Pine
> > ( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Ի՞նչն է Ձեզ երջանկացնում այս շաբաթ: / What’s making you happy this week? (Week of 22 September 2019)

Thanks Gerard.

I think concerning Wikidata, we should be fine, since all these articles
existed on the Russian Wikipedia before Wikidata was even created, and bots
must have moved there relevant information, but I will sample it.

Concerning the Africa project, I added quite some information to about a
half of the articles on districts in Mozambique several years ago, when
DrBlofield organized a writing competition on African topics at the English
Wikipedia. Since that, I never could find time to work on the other half.
May be now there is time. However, again, all these articles existed
already at the time, in the English, Spanish, and Portuguese Wikipedias,
and I assume that basic data is already on Wikidata. The coverage of
African physical geography is generally very poor as well, but, in contrast
to human geography, improving coverage probably requires a visit to a
library.

Cheers
Yaroslav