[Wikimedia-l] อะไรที่ทำให้คุณมีความสุขในสัปดาห์นี้ / What's making you happy this week? (Week of 23 June 2019)

[Wikimedia-l] อะไรที่ทำให้คุณมีความสุขในสัปดาห์นี้ / What's making you happy this week? (Week of 23 June 2019)

Pine W
 These "What's making you happy this week?" threads often mention a
smorgasbord of subjects. The English Wiktionary Word of the day
<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Word_of_the_day/Archive/2019/June>
for June 22 was "smorgasbord". Wiktionary's definitions of that word are:
"1. A Swedish-style buffet comprising a variety of cold sandwiches and
other dishes; (by extension) any buffet with a wide selection of dishes.
"2. (figuratively) An abundant and diverse collection of things."

On a related point, Commons has a smorgasbord of featured images of food
and drink
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Featured_pictures/Food_and_drink>
.

Also on Commons, I enjoy this
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Linden_trees_and_the_sky_in_Planina,_Postojna,_Slovenia.jpg>
recent Picture of the day. The caption for the image is, "Linden trees and
the sky with clouds in Planina, Postojna, Slovenia". When I look at this
photo, I imagine myself laying on the ground and looking up at the sky.

While this incident <https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/05/31/on-call/> was
not in the Wikiverse, as someone who has spent time in server rooms I can
sympathize with the engineer who was sent to do a chore when almost everything
that can go wrong, did go wrong
<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Murphy%27s_law>. Perhaps other Wikimedians
will appreciate the story too, especially those who support Wikimedia
technical products or services.

I am grateful for some recent civil and collegial discussions among
Wikipedia/Wikimedia administrators regarding certain problems that we are
collectively interested in addressing, such as vandalism and spambots.

Also, I am grateful to people who do maintenance or administrative tasks
with little expectation for rewards or thanks. My experience with these
people is that frequently they have humble attitudes, are idealistic, and
are interested in public service.

The Wikimania Steering Committee recently recommended
<https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimania-l/2019-June/008779.html>
that Wikimania 2020 take place in Bangkok, Thailand. This Wikimania will be
supported by multiple Wikimedia affiliates in the East, Southeast Asia, and
Pacific region <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/ESEAP_Hub>.

What's making you happy this week? You are welcome to comment in any
language.

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] อะไรที่ทำให้คุณมีความสุขในสัปดาห์นี้ / What's making you happy this week? (Week of 23 June 2019)

Amir E. Aharoni
What's making me happy this week? - The surprising growth in the weekly
number of translations into the Vietnamese language.

To see numbers, go to
https://vi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:CXStats?uselang=en , scroll to the
second chart ("Translations to Tiếng Việt"), and click the "Per week" tab.

I'm kind of curious why did it happen in Vietnamese, of all languages, and
not, say, Slovak or Thai. As far as I can tell, there is no particular
magic there: just several editors who are very productive at translating
article. And maybe, just maybe, the Content Translation extension, in the
development of which I am involved, is getting better and helps people be
more efficient ;)

(And yes, I checked, and even though I don't know Vietnamese, as far as I
can see, the created translated articles are good, they are not too
repetitive, and they don't use too much machine translation.)

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

‫בתאריך יום ב׳, 24 ביוני 2019 ב-6:36 מאת ‪Pine W‬‏ <‪[hidden email]
‬‏>:‬

>  These "What's making you happy this week?" threads often mention a
> smorgasbord of subjects. The English Wiktionary Word of the day
> <
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Word_of_the_day/Archive/2019/June
> >
> for June 22 was "smorgasbord". Wiktionary's definitions of that word are:
> "1. A Swedish-style buffet comprising a variety of cold sandwiches and
> other dishes; (by extension) any buffet with a wide selection of dishes.
> "2. (figuratively) An abundant and diverse collection of things."
>
> On a related point, Commons has a smorgasbord of featured images of food
> and drink
> <
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Featured_pictures/Food_and_drink
> >
> .
>
> Also on Commons, I enjoy this
> <
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Linden_trees_and_the_sky_in_Planina,_Postojna,_Slovenia.jpg
> >
> recent Picture of the day. The caption for the image is, "Linden trees and
> the sky with clouds in Planina, Postojna, Slovenia". When I look at this
> photo, I imagine myself laying on the ground and looking up at the sky.
>
> While this incident <https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/05/31/on-call/>
> was
> not in the Wikiverse, as someone who has spent time in server rooms I can
> sympathize with the engineer who was sent to do a chore when almost
> everything
> that can go wrong, did go wrong
> <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Murphy%27s_law>. Perhaps other Wikimedians
> will appreciate the story too, especially those who support Wikimedia
> technical products or services.
>
> I am grateful for some recent civil and collegial discussions among
> Wikipedia/Wikimedia administrators regarding certain problems that we are
> collectively interested in addressing, such as vandalism and spambots.
>
> Also, I am grateful to people who do maintenance or administrative tasks
> with little expectation for rewards or thanks. My experience with these
> people is that frequently they have humble attitudes, are idealistic, and
> are interested in public service.
>
> The Wikimania Steering Committee recently recommended
> <https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimania-l/2019-June/008779.html>
> that Wikimania 2020 take place in Bangkok, Thailand. This Wikimania will be
> supported by multiple Wikimedia affiliates in the East, Southeast Asia, and
> Pacific region <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/ESEAP_Hub>.
>
> What's making you happy this week? You are welcome to comment in any
> language.
>
> Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] อะไรที่ทำให้คุณมีความสุขในสัปดาห์นี้ / What's making you happy this week? (Week of 23 June 2019)

Roman Bustria Jr.
Hi Pine,

ESEAP Regional Cooperation is very delighted to host Wikimania 2020 with
Wikimedia Thailand as chair of the organizing committee.

We will be converging this Saturday in Bangkok for ESEAP Strategy Summit
(Regional Salon) and also to celebrate the Wikimania announcement and
Wikimedia Thailand being a new chapter!

Butch