[Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 30 April 2017)

[Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 30 April 2017)

Pine W
I'm happy to see the development of the Commons Photographers User Group
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_Photographers_User_Group>.

Personal background story (feel free to skip reading this):

The first DSLR I touched was easy to use with the automatic settings for
indoor photography in good lighting. Based on this limited experience, I
concluded that photography with a DSLR was easy. Some time later I bought
my own first DSLR, and quickly got lost. The menus were not intuitive to me
as a DSLR newbie, there were new terms like "aperture" and "f-stop", the
manual was written for someone who already had good technical knowledge of
how cameras work, and my lens wouldn't focus like I wanted. Wikipedia has
some helpful articles about photography concepts, but what would have
helped me a lot is spending time with an experienced photographer. After a
few years of trial and error, and asking questions of more knowledgeable
people, I'm happy with my skill level as a photography hobbyist in a
variety of situations. I hope that the new user Commons Photographers group
will facilitate knowledge exchange, improve camaraderie, and consider ways
to improve access to equipment -- especially for photographers in
situations where resources are scarce and potential for valuable
open-source contributions are very high.

What's making you happy this week?

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 30 April 2017)

Kalliope Tsouroupidou
+1 on this.
News of the newly recognised User Group put a smile on my face :)

K.

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 4:25 AM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm happy to see the development of the Commons Photographers User Group
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_Photographers_User_Group>.
>
> Personal background story (feel free to skip reading this):
>
> The first DSLR I touched was easy to use with the automatic settings for
> indoor photography in good lighting. Based on this limited experience, I
> concluded that photography with a DSLR was easy. Some time later I bought
> my own first DSLR, and quickly got lost. The menus were not intuitive to me
> as a DSLR newbie, there were new terms like "aperture" and "f-stop", the
> manual was written for someone who already had good technical knowledge of
> how cameras work, and my lens wouldn't focus like I wanted. Wikipedia has
> some helpful articles about photography concepts, but what would have
> helped me a lot is spending time with an experienced photographer. After a
> few years of trial and error, and asking questions of more knowledgeable
> people, I'm happy with my skill level as a photography hobbyist in a
> variety of situations. I hope that the new user Commons Photographers group
> will facilitate knowledge exchange, improve camaraderie, and consider ways
> to improve access to equipment -- especially for photographers in
> situations where resources are scarce and potential for valuable
> open-source contributions are very high.
>
> What's making you happy this week?
>
> Pine

Kalliope Tsouroupidou
Community Advocate

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 30 April 2017)

Marielle Volz
What made me happy this week was the discovery of some good scientific
imagery that was openly licensed!

The USDA has created a bunch of identification sites for species of
agricultural interest and released the images into the public domain.
I was looking for images of a particular mite and discovered the Bee
Mite site has released most of their images and all of their text to
the PD [1]. (I have uploaded to commons although done a bit of a hack
job on it). There are other sites which would also be a candidate for
batch upload, which are listed here: http://idtools.org/identify.php
(anyone interested in molluscs?)

I have also discovered this Clinical Skills textbook licensed under CC
by 4 attribution.[2] I am in the process of adding some high quality
medical diagrams to articles on wiki. This same website hosts a bunch
of other open text books which may be a similarly good source of
content: https://opentextbc.ca/

[1] http://idtools.org/id/mites/beemites/
[2] https://opentextbc.ca/clinicalskills/

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 7:08 AM, Kalliope Tsouroupidou
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 on this.
> News of the newly recognised User Group put a smile on my face :)
>
> K.
>
> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 4:25 AM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm happy to see the development of the Commons Photographers User Group
>> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_Photographers_User_Group>.
>>
>> Personal background story (feel free to skip reading this):
>>
>> The first DSLR I touched was easy to use with the automatic settings for
>> indoor photography in good lighting. Based on this limited experience, I
>> concluded that photography with a DSLR was easy. Some time later I bought
>> my own first DSLR, and quickly got lost. The menus were not intuitive to me
>> as a DSLR newbie, there were new terms like "aperture" and "f-stop", the
>> manual was written for someone who already had good technical knowledge of
>> how cameras work, and my lens wouldn't focus like I wanted. Wikipedia has
>> some helpful articles about photography concepts, but what would have
>> helped me a lot is spending time with an experienced photographer. After a
>> few years of trial and error, and asking questions of more knowledgeable
>> people, I'm happy with my skill level as a photography hobbyist in a
>> variety of situations. I hope that the new user Commons Photographers group
>> will facilitate knowledge exchange, improve camaraderie, and consider ways
>> to improve access to equipment -- especially for photographers in
>> situations where resources are scarce and potential for valuable
>> open-source contributions are very high.
>>
>> What's making you happy this week?
>>
>> Pine

> Kalliope Tsouroupidou
> Community Advocate
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 30 April 2017)

jmh649
Marielle there are a lot of great medical images in that textbook, Fae is
there an ability to upload the images to commons by bot?

James

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 1:06 AM, Marielle Volz <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> of
> >> how cameras work, and my lens wouldn't focus like I wanted. Wikipedia
> has
> >> some helpful articles about photography concepts, but what would have
> >> helped me a lot is spending time with an experienced photographer.
> After a
> >> few years of trial and error, and asking questions of more knowledgeable
> >> people, I'm happy with my skill level as a photography hobbyist in a
> >> variety of situations. I hope that the new user Commons Photographers
> group
> >> will facilitate knowledge exchange, improve camaraderie, and consider
> ways
> >> to improve access to equipment -- especially for photographers in
> >> situations where resources are scarce and potential for valuable
> >> open-source contributions are very high.

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 30 April 2017)

Isaac Olatunde
Greetings,

What made me happy this week was the establishment of Wikimedia Hub in two
academic institutions in Nigeria, University of Ibadan and Nigeria
Institute of Journalism. I want to thank members of my community (Wikimedia
User Group Nigeria) who made this happened.

Regards,

Isaac

https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/05/02/digest-women-in-red/

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 11:28 AM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Marielle there are a lot of great medical images in that textbook, Fae is
> there an ability to upload the images to commons by bot?
>
> James
>
> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 1:06 AM, Marielle Volz <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > What made me happy this week was the discovery of some good scientific
> > imagery that was openly licensed!
> >
> > The USDA has created a bunch of identification sites for species of
> > agricultural interest and released the images into the public domain.
> > I was looking for images of a particular mite and discovered the Bee
> > Mite site has released most of their images and all of their text to
> > the PD [1]. (I have uploaded to commons although done a bit of a hack
> > job on it). There are other sites which would also be a candidate for
> > batch upload, which are listed here: http://idtools.org/identify.php
> > (anyone interested in molluscs?)
> >
> > I have also discovered this Clinical Skills textbook licensed under CC
> > by 4 attribution.[2] I am in the process of adding some high quality
> > medical diagrams to articles on wiki. This same website hosts a bunch
> > of other open text books which may be a similarly good source of
> > content: https://opentextbc.ca/
> >
> > [1] http://idtools.org/id/mites/beemites/
> > [2] https://opentextbc.ca/clinicalskills/
> >
> > On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 7:08 AM, Kalliope Tsouroupidou
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > +1 on this.
> > > News of the newly recognised User Group put a smile on my face :)
> > >
> > > K.

> Group

> for
> experience, I
> > bought
> > to me
> the
> knowledge
> > of
> > has
> > After a
> knowledgeable
> > group
> > ways

> > > --
> > > Kalliope Tsouroupidou
> > > Community Advocate
> > > Wikimedia Foundation

> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 30 April 2017)

Fæ
I browsed through the bee mites example. Though a bot or tool can be
good for mass uploading thousands of images from a 'flat' archive
source, i.e. each image has a catalogue record to take suitable data
from, the species web pages and diagrams gain a lot of their value by
illustrating the page they are part of. So doing the uploads "by hand"
to Commons actually makes a lot of sense, rather than a "brute force"
mass upload. Where possible, it may be better to upload the PDF
version of the same information rather than separate images, though
some of the images are nice and illustrative in their own right.

For small numbers of files, say under a couple of hundred, the
standard upload wizard can be a useful way of downloading images
locally, then uploading ten or twenty at a time, making sure the right
text description is against each. For large upload numbers the upload
wizard can still be handy, but the other tools at
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Upload_tools> are designed
to be quite easy to use for local uploads, or loading from some
white-listed sites like Flickr.

Anyone with a large archive to upload, like 10,000+ files, should
consider creating a request at
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Batch_uploading>. Even if
you end up doing the upload yourself, it is handy to have a page
discussing the upload method, naming conventions, categorization and
the way that metadata will be added. There are only a handful of
regular experienced volunteer mass uploaders around, so for very large
upload projects the requester should plan on it taking more than a
couple of weeks to happen.

Cheers,
Fae

On 3 May 2017 at 16:28, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Marielle there are a lot of great medical images in that textbook, Fae is
> there an ability to upload the images to commons by bot?
>
> James
>
> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 1:06 AM, Marielle Volz <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> What made me happy this week was the discovery of some good scientific
>> imagery that was openly licensed!
>>
>> The USDA has created a bunch of identification sites for species of
>> agricultural interest and released the images into the public domain.
>> I was looking for images of a particular mite and discovered the Bee
>> Mite site has released most of their images and all of their text to
>> the PD [1]. (I have uploaded to commons although done a bit of a hack
>> job on it). There are other sites which would also be a candidate for
>> batch upload, which are listed here: http://idtools.org/identify.php
>> (anyone interested in molluscs?)
>>
>> I have also discovered this Clinical Skills textbook licensed under CC
>> by 4 attribution.[2] I am in the process of adding some high quality
>> medical diagrams to articles on wiki. This same website hosts a bunch
>> of other open text books which may be a similarly good source of
>> content: https://opentextbc.ca/
>>
>> [1] http://idtools.org/id/mites/beemites/
>> [2] https://opentextbc.ca/clinicalskills/
>>
>> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 7:08 AM, Kalliope Tsouroupidou
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > +1 on this.
>> > News of the newly recognised User Group put a smile on my face :)
>> >
>> > K.

>> > --
>> > Kalliope Tsouroupidou
>> > Community Advocate
>> > Wikimedia Foundation

> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 30 April 2017)

Subhashish Panigrahi
What made me happy this week is the release of our latest converter (check
it out: https://or.wikipedia.org/s/14kh) that converts the Odia-language
text into International Phonetic Alphabet and Roman. We have been
struggling for some time now to add pronunciations for words and could not
find anything that could do that job. So another fellow Wikimedian Prateek
Pattanaik I scraped the code from an existing converter and created this.
Now we are going to integrate this into our pronunciation project
Kathabhidhana (https://github.com/OdiaWikimedia/Kathabhidhana) where we
create pronunciations of words. The next batch of audio recordings will
come on Commons with IPA and Romanization. Yay for more metadata! :)

Subhashish

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Isaac Olatunde <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> What made me happy this week was the establishment of Wikimedia Hub in two
> academic institutions in Nigeria, University of Ibadan and Nigeria
> Institute of Journalism. I want to thank members of my community (Wikimedia
> User Group Nigeria) who made this happened.
>
> Regards,
>
> Isaac
>

> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/05/02/digest-women-in-red/
>
> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 11:28 AM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Marielle there are a lot of great medical images in that textbook, Fae is
> > there an ability to upload the images to commons by bot?
> >
> > James
> >
> > On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 1:06 AM, Marielle Volz <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > What made me happy this week was the discovery of some good scientific
> > > imagery that was openly licensed!
> > >
> > > The USDA has created a bunch of identification sites for species of
> > > agricultural interest and released the images into the public domain.
> > > I was looking for images of a particular mite and discovered the Bee
> > > Mite site has released most of their images and all of their text to
> > > the PD [1]. (I have uploaded to commons although done a bit of a hack
> > > job on it). There are other sites which would also be a candidate for
> > > batch upload, which are listed here: http://idtools.org/identify.php
> > > (anyone interested in molluscs?)
> > >
> > > I have also discovered this Clinical Skills textbook licensed under CC
> > > by 4 attribution.[2] I am in the process of adding some high quality
> > > medical diagrams to articles on wiki. This same website hosts a bunch
> > > of other open text books which may be a similarly good source of
> > > content: https://opentextbc.ca/
> > >
> > > [1] http://idtools.org/id/mites/beemites/
> > > [2] https://opentextbc.ca/clinicalskills/

> > Group

> > for
> > experience, I
> > > bought
> intuitive
> > > to me
> > the
> > knowledge
> > > of
> Wikipedia
> > > has
> have
> > > After a
> > knowledgeable
> Photographers
> > > group
> consider
> > > ways

> > ,
> unsubscribe>

> > James Heilman
> > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> >
> > The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 30 April 2017)

Lionel Allorge (lionel.allorge@lunerouge.org)
Hi,

What made me happy this week was to see the tests of 3D objects being
uploaded into Commons :
https://commons.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/3d

Regards.
--
Lionel Allorge
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Lionel_Allorge

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 30 April 2017)

Asaf Bartov
That's fantastic, Subhashish! :)

    A.

On May 5, 2017 3:21 AM, "Subhashish Panigrahi" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> What made me happy this week is the release of our latest converter (check
> it out: https://or.wikipedia.org/s/14kh) that converts the Odia-language
> text into International Phonetic Alphabet and Roman. We have been
> struggling for some time now to add pronunciations for words and could not
> find anything that could do that job. So another fellow Wikimedian Prateek
> Pattanaik I scraped the code from an existing converter and created this.
> Now we are going to integrate this into our pronunciation project
> Kathabhidhana (https://github.com/OdiaWikimedia/Kathabhidhana) where we
> create pronunciations of words. The next batch of audio recordings will
> come on Commons with IPA and Romanization. Yay for more metadata! :)
>
> Subhashish
>
> On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Isaac Olatunde <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > What made me happy this week was the establishment of Wikimedia Hub in
> two
> > academic institutions in Nigeria, University of Ibadan and Nigeria
> > Institute of Journalism. I want to thank members of my community
> (Wikimedia
> > User Group Nigeria) who made this happened.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Isaac
> >

> > https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/05/02/digest-women-in-red/
> >
> > On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 11:28 AM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Marielle there are a lot of great medical images in that textbook, Fae
> is
> > > there an ability to upload the images to commons by bot?
> > >
> > > James

> scientific

> CC

> > > Group
> >.

> settings
> > > for
> > > experience, I
> > intuitive
> "f-stop",
> > > the
> > > knowledge
> > Wikipedia
> > have
> > > knowledgeable
> in a
> > Photographers
> > consider

> > > ,
> > unsubscribe>

> > > --
> > > James Heilman
> > > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> > >
> > > The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 30 April 2017)

Subhashish Panigrahi
Thanks Asaf. :)

Subha