[Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 4 February 2018)

[Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 4 February 2018)

Pine W
I liked the Metrics and Activities Meeting in Berlin
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFzqTxTfq2Y> that was hosted by Wikimedia
Deutschland. The change in focus to affiliates was interesting. Perhaps
affiliates would like to hold meetings like this in parallel to the WMF
meetings in the future.

I also liked this post in the WMF Blog
<https://blog.wikimedia.org/2018/01/29/glam-multimedia-metadata-commons/>
about structured data on Commons.

This overview
<https://blog.wikimedia.org/2018/01/30/community-digest-wikipedia-day-17/>
of Wikipedia birthday celebrations was fun to read. There were reports from
Armenia, Poland, Israel, India, Tunisia, Macedonia, Egypt, Bangladesh,
Ghana, Algeria, Bulgaria, and the United States.

What's making you happy this week?

Pine <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine>

P.S. Do people like these "What's making you happy this week" emails? Few
people respond to them, so I don't know whether people like them, feel that
they are a nuisance, or are indifferent. If you would like to share
feedback, you can email me off-list or leave a message on my Meta talk page
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Pine>. If you like these threads
then you are welcome to contribute your own Wikimedia-related good news to
them, which I would be glad to read.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 4 February 2018)

geni
On 4 February 2018 at 06:13, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What's making you happy this week?

I discovered we got an article on a ridiculously obscure media format
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HiPac ) due to a techmoan episode:

https://youtu.be/Q_9IBIcsYj4?t=996

Now we just need a photo of the thing.

Meanwhile Norwich continues to be Norwich:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti_urination_devices_in_Norwich

--
geni

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 4 February 2018)

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Carla Hayden received an award [1] and as I do so often I added it to
Wikidata. I could not find info on the award and was only able to add two
award winners. A friend found more information and added several more
winners. It is an award relating to libraries and librarians, I am
confident more information will become known.
Thanks,
      GerardM

[1] https://tools.wmflabs.org/reasonator/?&q=47542681

On 4 February 2018 at 07:38, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4 February 2018 at 06:13, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > What's making you happy this week?
> >

> I discovered we got an article on a ridiculously obscure media format
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HiPac ) due to a techmoan episode:
>
> https://youtu.be/Q_9IBIcsYj4?t=996
>
> Now we just need a photo of the thing.
>
> Meanwhile Norwich continues to be Norwich:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti_urination_devices_in_Norwich
>

> --
> geni

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 4 February 2018)

Peter Southwood
They are harmless and occasionally interesting. Greatly preferable to a lot of the other messages. Cheers, Peter

[...]

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 4 February 2018)

Fæ
On 4 February 2018 at 06:13, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
> P.S. Do people like these "What's making you happy this week" emails? Few
> people respond to them, so I don't know whether people like them, feel that
> they are a nuisance, or are indifferent. If you would like to share
> feedback, you can email me off-list or leave a message on my Meta talk page
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Pine>. If you like these threads
> then you are welcome to contribute your own Wikimedia-related good news to
> them, which I would be glad to read.

I like them and on the whole are informative. <grumpy> It makes a
change to read positive messages which have content, as most other
positive messages tend to be pile on congratulations-spam, which can
be pretty irritating if they make your email ping ten times in the
same day. </grumpy>

What's making me happy this week is finding my upload project stopped
by getting IP blocked by the Library of Congress, but then discovering
their rather good improvements to making all records publicly
available in JSON format, in turn making the upload project give
better results on Commons.[1]

Links
1. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae/LOC

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 4 February 2018)

Yaroslav Blanter
I think it is good to let them going for the time being.

Cheers
Yaroslav