[Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 7 May 2017)

[Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 7 May 2017)

Pine W
I was happy to see the final WMF list of GSoC 2017 and Outreachy Round 14
projects.

What's making you happy this week?

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What's making you happy this week? (Week of 7 May 2017)

Amir E. Aharoni
OK, so something amazing just happened: A Hebrew Wikipedia editor told me
that he uses the translated API Sandbox.

This probably sounds cryptic, so let me explain why is this significant.

The "API Sandbox" is a technical part of the MediaWiki software that shows
all the actions that are available for developers of extensions, bots,
scripts, etc. There are hundreds of such actions, and there are thousands
of English strings that document each action. You can see the API Sandbox
in English here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:ApiSandbox

In the past these documentation strings could only be written in English,
but in 2014 it became possible to translate them. So now it's possible to
see the API Sandbox in French, for example:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:ApiSandbox

I do my best to keep the translation of MediaWiki into Hebrew at 100%, so I
translated them all for the sake of completeness, but I was sure that
nobody will ever use it, because programmers usually know English.

So now I have proof that it's _usually_, but not _always_. A developer of
gadgets in the Hebrew Wikipedia found it more comfortable to use the API
Sandbox in Hebrew than in English. And he's probably not alone. There are
probably a lot of people who would be good programmers if they had more
documentation in their language.

And this makes me happy because:
1. This translation actually enables more people to develop more useful
technical tools for Wikimedia projects.
2. More philosophically, this makes the gap between people who know English
and people who don't a little bit smaller. This gap is huge, but hard to
notice for people who know English (even for me).
3. More personally, now I know that the time I invested in translating
these strings was not wasted :)

Moral of the story: Localization is awesome, nobody should assume that
everyone knows English, and everything should be translatable.

Thanks to Brad Jorsch (User:Anomie) for making the API documentation
translatable!

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

> I was happy to see the final WMF list of GSoC 2017 and Outreachy Round 14
> projects.
>
> What's making you happy this week?
>
> Pine

Cool. It sounds like you invested a lot of effort into the translation, and
I'm glad that it paid off.

Pine