Quantcast

[Wikimedia-l] Why We Read Wikipedia in your language

[Wikimedia-l] Why We Read Wikipedia in your language

Leila Zia
Hi all,

==Background==
In November 2016, I presented the result of a joint research that
helped us understand English Wikipedia readers better. (Presentation
at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIaMuWA84bY ). I talked about how
we used English, Persian, and Spanish Wikipedia readers' inputs to
build a taxonomy of Wikipedia use-cases along several dimensions,
capturing users’ motivations to visit Wikipedia, the depth of
knowledge they are seeking, and their knowledge of the topic of
interest prior to visiting Wikipedia. I also talked about the results
of the study we did to quantify the prevalence of these use-cases via
a large-scale user survey conducted on English Wikipedia. In that
study, we also matched survey responses to the respondents’ digital
traces in Wikipedia’s server logs which enabled us in discovering
behavioral patterns associated with specific use-cases. You can read
the full study at https://arxiv.org/abs/1702.05379 .

==What do we want to do now?==
There are quite a few directions this research can continue on, and
the most immediate one is to understand whether the results that we
observe (in English Wikipeida) is robust across languages/cultures.
For this, we are going to repeat the study, but this time in more
languages. Here are the languages on our list: Arabic, Dutch, English,
Hindi, Japanese, Spanish (thanks to all the volunteers who have been
helping us translating all survey related documents to these
languages.:)

==What about your language?==
If your language is not one of the six languages above and you'd like
to learn about the readers of Wikipedia in it (in the specific ways
described above), please get back to me by Monday, April 24, AoE. I
cannot guarantee that we can run the study in your language, however,
I guarantee that we will give it a good try if you're interested. The
decision to include more languages will depend on: our capacity to do
the analysis, the speed at which your community can help us translate
the material to the language, the traffic to that language, a couple
of sentences on how you'd think the result can help your community,
and your willingness to help us document the results for your language
at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Characterizing_Wikipedia_Reader_Behaviour
(Quite some work will need to go to have readable/usable
documentations available and we are too small to be able to guarantee
that on our own for many languages.)

Best,
Leila

--
Leila Zia
Senior Research Scientist

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why We Read Wikipedia in your language

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Is this paper behind a paywall ?
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 21 April 2017 at 18:45, Leila Zia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> ==Background==
> In November 2016, I presented the result of a joint research that
> helped us understand English Wikipedia readers better. (Presentation
> at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIaMuWA84bY ). I talked about how
> we used English, Persian, and Spanish Wikipedia readers' inputs to
> build a taxonomy of Wikipedia use-cases along several dimensions,
> capturing users’ motivations to visit Wikipedia, the depth of
> knowledge they are seeking, and their knowledge of the topic of
> interest prior to visiting Wikipedia. I also talked about the results
> of the study we did to quantify the prevalence of these use-cases via
> a large-scale user survey conducted on English Wikipedia. In that
> study, we also matched survey responses to the respondents’ digital
> traces in Wikipedia’s server logs which enabled us in discovering
> behavioral patterns associated with specific use-cases. You can read
> the full study at https://arxiv.org/abs/1702.05379 .
>
> ==What do we want to do now?==
> There are quite a few directions this research can continue on, and
> the most immediate one is to understand whether the results that we
> observe (in English Wikipeida) is robust across languages/cultures.
> For this, we are going to repeat the study, but this time in more
> languages. Here are the languages on our list: Arabic, Dutch, English,
> Hindi, Japanese, Spanish (thanks to all the volunteers who have been
> helping us translating all survey related documents to these
> languages.:)
>
> ==What about your language?==
> If your language is not one of the six languages above and you'd like
> to learn about the readers of Wikipedia in it (in the specific ways
> described above), please get back to me by Monday, April 24, AoE. I
> cannot guarantee that we can run the study in your language, however,
> I guarantee that we will give it a good try if you're interested. The
> decision to include more languages will depend on: our capacity to do
> the analysis, the speed at which your community can help us translate
> the material to the language, the traffic to that language, a couple
> of sentences on how you'd think the result can help your community,
> and your willingness to help us document the results for your language
> at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Characterizing_
> Wikipedia_Reader_Behaviour
> (Quite some work will need to go to have readable/usable
> documentations available and we are too small to be able to guarantee
> that on our own for many languages.)
>
> Best,
> Leila
>
> --
> Leila Zia
> Senior Research Scientist
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why We Read Wikipedia in your language

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
The DOI is..
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 21 April 2017 at 18:58, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>> the analysis, the speed at which your community can help us translate
>> the material to the language, the traffic to that language, a couple
>> of sentences on how you'd think the result can help your community,
>> and your willingness to help us document the results for your language
>> at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Characterizing_Wiki
>> pedia_Reader_Behaviour
>> (Quite some work will need to go to have readable/usable
>> documentations available and we are too small to be able to guarantee
>> that on our own for many languages.)
>>
>> Best,
>> Leila
>>
>> --
>> Leila Zia
>> Senior Research Scientist
>> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why We Read Wikipedia in your language

Amir E. Aharoni
If I want this done for Hebrew and Russian, do I just reply to this thread?
Or did I miss the instructions in the first email? :)

בתאריך 21 באפר׳ 2017 19:46,‏ "Leila Zia" <[hidden email]> כתב:

> Hi all,
>
> ==Background==
> In November 2016, I presented the result of a joint research that
> helped us understand English Wikipedia readers better. (Presentation
> at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIaMuWA84bY ). I talked about how
> we used English, Persian, and Spanish Wikipedia readers' inputs to
> build a taxonomy of Wikipedia use-cases along several dimensions,
> capturing users’ motivations to visit Wikipedia, the depth of
> knowledge they are seeking, and their knowledge of the topic of
> interest prior to visiting Wikipedia. I also talked about the results
> of the study we did to quantify the prevalence of these use-cases via
> a large-scale user survey conducted on English Wikipedia. In that
> study, we also matched survey responses to the respondents’ digital
> traces in Wikipedia’s server logs which enabled us in discovering
> behavioral patterns associated with specific use-cases. You can read
> the full study at https://arxiv.org/abs/1702.05379 .
>
> ==What do we want to do now?==
> There are quite a few directions this research can continue on, and
> the most immediate one is to understand whether the results that we
> observe (in English Wikipeida) is robust across languages/cultures.
> For this, we are going to repeat the study, but this time in more
> languages. Here are the languages on our list: Arabic, Dutch, English,
> Hindi, Japanese, Spanish (thanks to all the volunteers who have been
> helping us translating all survey related documents to these
> languages.:)
>
> ==What about your language?==
> If your language is not one of the six languages above and you'd like
> to learn about the readers of Wikipedia in it (in the specific ways
> described above), please get back to me by Monday, April 24, AoE. I
> cannot guarantee that we can run the study in your language, however,
> I guarantee that we will give it a good try if you're interested. The
> decision to include more languages will depend on: our capacity to do
> the analysis, the speed at which your community can help us translate
> the material to the language, the traffic to that language, a couple
> of sentences on how you'd think the result can help your community,
> and your willingness to help us document the results for your language
> at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Characterizing_
> Wikipedia_Reader_Behaviour
> (Quite some work will need to go to have readable/usable
> documentations available and we are too small to be able to guarantee
> that on our own for many languages.)
>
> Best,
> Leila
>
> --
> Leila Zia
> Senior Research Scientist
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why We Read Wikipedia in your language

attolippip
and Ukrainian :) and per Amir about instructions

Best regards,
antanana

> [...]
> > the analysis, the speed at which your community can help us translate
> > the material to the language, the traffic to that language, a couple
> > of sentences on how you'd think the result can help your community,
> > and your willingness to help us document the results for your language
> > at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Characterizing_
> > Wikipedia_Reader_Behaviour
> > (Quite some work will need to go to have readable/usable
> > documentations available and we are too small to be able to guarantee
> > that on our own for many languages.)
> >
> > Best,
> > Leila
> >
> > --
> > Leila Zia
> > Senior Research Scientist
> > Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why We Read Wikipedia in your language

Alice Wiegand-3
German, also.

Alice.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

> [...]
>>> the analysis, the speed at which your community can help us translate
>>> the material to the language, the traffic to that language, a couple
>>> of sentences on how you'd think the result can help your community,
>>> and your willingness to help us document the results for your language
>>> at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Characterizing_
>>> Wikipedia_Reader_Behaviour
>>> (Quite some work will need to go to have readable/usable
>>> documentations available and we are too small to be able to guarantee
>>> that on our own for many languages.)
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Leila
>>>
>>> --
>>> Leila Zia
>>> Senior Research Scientist
>>> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why We Read Wikipedia in your language

yeah, sorry, antanana and Amir: a better communication channel re
sign-ups would be better. Emailing on this thread or off-list to me
works. I'm keeping track of languages requested and I'll contact the
person who requests them to figure out the next steps no later than
Tuesday.

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 10:25 AM, attolippip <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > the analysis, the speed at which your community can help us translate
>> > the material to the language, the traffic to that language, a couple
>> > of sentences on how you'd think the result can help your community,
>> > and your willingness to help us document the results for your language
>> > at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Characterizing_
>> > Wikipedia_Reader_Behaviour
>> > (Quite some work will need to go to have readable/usable
>> > documentations available and we are too small to be able to guarantee
>> > that on our own for many languages.)
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Leila
>> >
>> > --
>> > Leila Zia
>> > Senior Research Scientist
>> > Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why We Read Wikipedia in your language

Yaroslav Blanter
Hi Gerard,

arxiv.org is a free resource. It is actually one of the earliest free
depositories, and in many fields, including mine (physics) it is customary
to upload preprints at arxiv.org prior to sending for review. It can not be
behind the paywall.

Cheers
Yaroslav

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 7:50 PM, Alice Wiegand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> German, also.
>
> Alice.
>
> Von meinem iPhone gesendet
>
> > Am 21.04.2017 um 19:25 schrieb attolippip <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > and Ukrainian :) and per Amir about instructions
> >
> > Best regards,
> > antanana

> >:
> >
> >> If I want this done for Hebrew and Russian, do I just reply to this
> thread?
> >> Or did I miss the instructions in the first email? :)
> >>
> >> בתאריך 21 באפר׳ 2017 19:46,‏ "Leila Zia" <[hidden email]> כתב:

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why We Read Wikipedia in your language

Amir E. Aharoni

> ==What do we want to do now?==
> There are quite a few directions this research can continue on, and
> the most immediate one is to understand whether the results that we
> observe (in English Wikipeida) is robust across languages/cultures.
> For this, we are going to repeat the study, but this time in more
> languages. Here are the languages on our list: Arabic, Dutch, English,
> Hindi, Japanese, Spanish (thanks to all the volunteers who have been
> helping us translating all survey related documents to these
> languages.:)

Is there anything that interested volunteers can start translating now?

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why We Read Wikipedia in your language

Leila Zia
On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 6:06 AM, Amir E. Aharoni
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there anything that interested volunteers can start translating now?

:)

For some languages, I can confirm in the next 12 hours if we can run
the surveys in, in which case I'll ping the point of contact (which is
at the moment, the person who has requested that language) in the
following page:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research_talk:Characterizing_Wikipedia_Reader_Behaviour/Robustness_across_languages

(The table is not complete, I'm working on it now.)

For some other languages, I may have to wait until Monday late evening
UTC before I can say anything since I may need to brainstorm more with
the other researchers in the team. (I want to make sure we don't ask
for help with translation unless we are pretty sure the language is
feasible for this kind of study).

Leila

> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> ‪“We're living in pieces,
> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why We Read Wikipedia in your language

Leila Zia
Hi all,

[This is likely my last update here until after the study is done and we
have results to share.]

Thank you for all the responses on and off-list and the work some of you
have already started doing. :) We have requests by 10 more languages
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research_talk:Characterizing_Wikipedia_Reader_Behaviour/Robustness_across_languages#What_other_languages_to_run_the_surveys_in.3F>.
At this point, we're going to focus on these requests to get as many of
them as possible ready. The work involves the translation of the content by
those who have volunteered, one-on-one meetings with those who translated
the content to make sure the intents of the research is preserved in the
translated content, computing sampling rates for each language, testing the
surveys and the infrastructure to make sure data collection happens as
planned, reviewing the research questions (now that we have many more
languages, we may have an opportunity to ask and answer a couple of more
questions), and likely more. :)

We are aiming to launch this study early next week. Notices to the
corresponding Village pumps will go out no later than 2 days prior to the
launch.

Thanks to all the volunteers who stepped up to make it happen in their
languages, our collaborators in EPFL, GESIS, and Stanford, and the Reading
team. :)

Best,
Leila

--