[Wikimedia-l] Why is bank transfer no longer possible?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why is bank transfer no longer possible?

Lodewijk
Hi Pats,

Please be aware that iDEAL is still not functional on the Dutch fundraiser
page. Also, IBAN is missing.

Best,
Lodewijk

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>> faster
>> and easier way.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Pats
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 11:28 AM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > A while back now, the chapters were no longer allowed to fundraise,
>> because
>> > the Wikimedia Foundation argued they would be better able to do this. At
>> > the time, this sounded somewhat reasonable. However, since then, there
>> have
>> > been some disturbing developments - at least for Dutch donors.
>> >
>> > No longer it is possible to pay electronically (iDEAL, one of the most
>> > common methods is no longer supported - 'electronic banking' simply
>> refers
>> > you back to the credit card page) or even via regular bank transfer
>> (using
>> > an IBAN) in the Netherlands. The donation page
>> > <
>> >
>> https://donate.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:FundraiserLandingPage&country=NL&uselang=en&utm_medium=spontaneous&utm_source=fr-redir&utm_campaign=spontaneous
>> > >
>> > only
>> > allows credit card and paypal, and the 'other ways to give' simply sends
>> > you to the helpdesk if you want to make a bank transfer payment.
>> >
>> > What is the reasoning behind this? Have bank transfers become a legal
>> > swamp? Are there statistics suggesting that this method was no longer
>> > required by donors? Did the European bank account somehow get
>> temporarily
>> > suspended?
>> >
>> > If it has become so hard to donate, maybe it makes more sense to send
>> the
>> > donors to the local chapter pages where they can actually donate in the
>> > local suitable methods (in this case, Wikimedia Netherlands offers both
>> > iDEAL and IBAN
>> > <http://www.wikimedia.nl/pagina/doneren-aan-wikimedia-nederland>).
>> >
>> > One of the Dutch OTRS team members asked for elaboration, but didn't
>> quite
>> > get a satisfying answer. I hope this is a temporary situation, and that
>> > this threshold will be removed again. It would be sad if we go through
>> all
>> > kind of trouble to enable long tail methods like bitcoin, but skip bank
>> > transfer...
>> >
>> > Best,
>> >
>> > Lodewijk
>>

>> --
>>
>> Pats Pena | Sr. Manager, Global Operations
>> Wikimedia Foundation
>> office +1 (415) 839 6885 x6764
>> cell:   +1 (415) 816 3349
>> fax: +1 (415) 284 9511
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> *Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
>> sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
>> <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why is bank transfer no longer possible?

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I blogged about this [1]. By ignoring the rest of the world, they
effectively give ownership to the WMF to the USA way of working. On a more
practical level, they hand over money for their convenience that is in my
opinion an absolute waste. By using a UK organisation to process donations,
they ignore the UK chapter while they make demands of chapters to raise
funds.

PS I do hope the WMF gets all the money it is seeking.
Thanks,
      GerardM

[1]
http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.nl/2014/12/wikimedia-foundation-does-not-get-one.html

On 18 December 2014 at 23:39, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Pats,
>
> Please be aware that iDEAL is still not functional on the Dutch fundraiser
> page. Also, IBAN is missing.
>
> Best,
> Lodewijk
>
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Patricia,
> >
> > Thanks for telling that the iDEAL will be back soon. I don't quite
> > understand from your answer why you add the increased hurdle of emailing
> > the team for the IBAN though. Am I overlooking something?
> >
> > Best,
> > Lodewijk
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 10:06 PM, Patricia Pena <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Lodewijk,
> >>
> >> Currently IDEAL is temporarily down on our pages (it went into
> maintenance
> >> mode after our annual campaign), but should be back up soon :)  We know
> >> the importance of this method for Dutch donors and have supported this
> >> option since we started fundraising in the NL. We also support offline
> >> bank
> >> transfer (IBAN) and donors can get the account number with our Donor
> >> Services team.
> >>
> >> We had an extremely successful Fundraising campaign this year, and there
> >> will be some great mobile optimization coming up in the next few months,
> >> which will allow mobile donors to complete their donations in a much
> >> faster
> >> and easier way.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> Pats

> >> because
> At
> >> have

> >> refers
> >> (using
> >> >

> https://donate.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:FundraiserLandingPage&country=NL&uselang=en&utm_medium=spontaneous&utm_source=fr-redir&utm_campaign=spontaneous

> sends

> >> temporarily

> >> the
> the
> both

> >> quite
> that
> >> all
> bank

> >> --
> >>
> >> Pats Pena | Sr. Manager, Global Operations
> >> Wikimedia Foundation
> >> office +1 (415) 839 6885 x6764
> >> cell:   +1 (415) 816 3349
> >> fax: +1 (415) 284 9511
> >> [hidden email]
> >>
> >> *Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the
> >> sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
> >> <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why is bank transfer no longer possible?

Patricia Pena
Hi Lodewijk,

Thanks for letting us know! IDEAL has been back up in the page, but we
recently made a few changes that ended up accidentally removing the option
from the form. It's all fixed now :)

Regarding IBAN: Finance is still working with our bank and we should be
sending an update once we hear from them.

Thanks,
Pats

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >> all
> bank

> >> --
> >>
> >> Pats Pena | Sr. Manager, Global Operations
> >> Wikimedia Foundation
> >> office +1 (415) 839 6885 x6764
> >> cell:   +1 (415) 816 3349
> >> fax: +1 (415) 284 9511
> >> [hidden email]
> >>
> >> *Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the
> >> sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
> >> <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Pats Pena | Sr. Manager, Global Operations
Wikimedia Foundation
office +1 (415) 839 6885 x6764
cell:   +1 (415) 816 3349
fax: +1 (415) 284 9511

sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
<https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why is bank transfer no longer possible?

Thanks.

Lodewijk

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 9:30 PM, Patricia Pena <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Lodewijk,
>
> Thanks for letting us know! IDEAL has been back up in the page, but we
> recently made a few changes that ended up accidentally removing the option
> from the form. It's all fixed now :)
>
> Regarding IBAN: Finance is still working with our bank and we should be
> sending an update once we hear from them.
>
> Thanks,
> Pats
>
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Pats,
> >
> > Please be aware that iDEAL is still not functional on the Dutch
> fundraiser
> > page. Also, IBAN is missing.
> >
> > Best,
> > Lodewijk
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Patricia,
> > >
> > > Thanks for telling that the iDEAL will be back soon. I don't quite
> > > understand from your answer why you add the increased hurdle of
> emailing
> > > the team for the IBAN though. Am I overlooking something?
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Lodewijk

> > maintenance
> know

> there
> months,

> [hidden email]

> this.
> > At
> there

> most
> > >> >

> https://donate.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:FundraiserLandingPage&country=NL&uselang=en&utm_medium=spontaneous&utm_source=fr-redir&utm_campaign=spontaneous

> > sends

> legal
> longer

> send
> > the
> > both

> > that
> through
> > bank

> > the
> ,

> Pats Pena | Sr. Manager, Global Operations
> Wikimedia Foundation
> office +1 (415) 839 6885 x6764
> cell:   +1 (415) 816 3349
> fax: +1 (415) 284 9511
> [hidden email]
>
> *Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
> sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
> <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why is bank transfer no longer possible?

Mathias Damour
Le 19/12/2014 08:33, Gerard Meijssen a écrit :
> Hoi,
> I blogged about this [1]. By ignoring the rest of the world, they
> effectively give ownership to the WMF to the USA way of working. On a more
> practical level, they hand over money for their convenience that is in my
> opinion an absolute waste. By using a UK organisation to process donations,
> they ignore the UK chapter while they make demands of chapters to raise
> funds.
>
> PS I do hope the WMF gets all the money it is seeking.

+1

Funny I first read your last sentence:
''PS I do hope the WMF gets all the money its sinking.''

Mathias Damour
User:Astirmays

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why is bank transfer no longer possible?

Patricia Pena
Hi Lodewijk and all,

Thank you for your feedback regarding the IBAN information. As an update,
the Finance team worked with our bank to improve the security and fraud
protection of our bank accounts so that we can now disclose the bank
account information on our donation pages.

We have updated the USD and EUR account information, and will add the
remaining currencies as we get the green-light from our bank.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Pats Pena

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 12:56 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > ,
> ?subject=unsubscribe>

> > Pats Pena | Sr. Manager, Global Operations
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > office +1 (415) 839 6885 x6764
> > cell:   +1 (415) 816 3349
> > fax: +1 (415) 284 9511
> > [hidden email]
> >
> > *Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the
> > sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
> > <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Pats Pena | Sr. Manager, Global Operations
Wikimedia Foundation
office +1 (415) 839 6885 x6764
cell:   +1 (415) 816 3349
fax: +1 (415) 284 9511

sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
<https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why is bank transfer no longer possible?

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Patricia Pena, 06/01/2015 19:32:
> worked with our bank to improve the security and fraud
> protection of our bank accounts so that we can now disclose the bank
> account information on our donation pages.

Great! Can these important security tips/steps be documented on a
Meta-Wiki page, so that other affiliates can ensure their security as well?

Nemo