[Wikimedia-l] Wiki Loves Monuments in Italy largely blocked by WMF fundraising

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wiki Loves Monuments] Wiki Loves Monuments in Italy largely blocked by WMF fundraising

Peter Southwood
Who set the targets that will now not be met, how were they decided, and when were they set? I must assume that WLM annual project was not taken into consideration by these planners.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wiki Loves Monuments] Wiki Loves Monuments in Italy largely blocked by WMF fundraising

Pine W
Yes, I think it is the case that Fundraising and other organizations (like
the WLM coordinators, Wikimedia Italia, and Community Resources / FDC) were
working from different playbooks. But now that Fundraising has agreed to
change their plans, I think we should give them some breathing room,
especially because they say that banner scheduling will be coordinated next
year.

Pine

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 11:24 PM, Peter Southwood <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Who set the targets that will now not be met, how were they decided, and
> when were they set? I must assume that WLM annual project was not taken
> into consideration by these planners.
> Cheers,

One of the basic tenets of health and safety, is that if you have a near miss incident, it should be analysed the same way that a fatal incident would be investigated. Not to apportion blame, even if it is due, but so that the same situation can be avoided in the future. Organisations that fail to do this are doomed to repeat their mistakes, not necessarily by the same people, who may well have learned, but often by other departments, where the people did not get the opportunity to learn by the mistake. Refusal to answer reasonable and legitimate questions by stakeholders often leads to accusations of conspiracy and bad faith and can end in the local demagogues, of which we have an adequate supply, inciting the torch and pitchfork brigade. Things may go downhill at this point.
Cheers,
Peter

Yes, I think it is the case that Fundraising and other organizations (like the WLM coordinators, Wikimedia Italia, and Community Resources / FDC) were working from different playbooks. But now that Fundraising has agreed to change their plans, I think we should give them some breathing room, especially because they say that banner scheduling will be coordinated next year.

Pine

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 11:24 PM, Peter Southwood < [hidden email]> wrote:

> Who set the targets that will now not be met, how were they decided,
> and when were they set? I must assume that WLM annual project was not
> taken into consideration by these planners.
> Cheers,

I guess I'm not clear on whether you're asking about the Fundraising
targets or the WLM/WMIT targets, or both. Can you clarify?

My understanding from this email chain is that there will be a
deconfliction of banner space via better scheduling next year. I think that
someone suggested setting up a calendar to track banner use, which might
also be helpful.

I think I'll step out of this conversation for the moment, and let the
stakeholders take it from here.

Pine

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 4:25 AM, Peter Southwood <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> One of the basic tenets of health and safety, is that if you have a near
> miss incident, it should be analysed the same way that a fatal incident
> would be investigated. Not to apportion blame, even if it is due, but so
> that the same situation can be avoided in the future. Organisations that
> fail to do this are doomed to repeat their mistakes, not necessarily by the
> same people, who may well have learned, but often by other departments,
> where the people did not get the opportunity to learn by the mistake.
> Refusal to answer reasonable and legitimate questions by stakeholders often
> leads to accusations of conspiracy and bad faith and can end in the local
> demagogues, of which we have an adequate supply, inciting the torch and
> pitchfork brigade. Things may go downhill at this point.
> Cheers,
> Peter

I was referring to the fundraising targets, which have been cited as a cause of the dispute. WMIT/WLM have explained at length their reasons for needing banners in September. I am in no position to comment on whether their analysis is correct or not . Fundraising has not been so forthcoming in response to queries.
Cheers,
Peter

I guess I'm not clear on whether you're asking about the Fundraising targets or the WLM/WMIT targets, or both. Can you clarify?

My understanding from this email chain is that there will be a deconfliction of banner space via better scheduling next year. I think that someone suggested setting up a calendar to track banner use, which might also be helpful.

I think I'll step out of this conversation for the moment, and let the stakeholders take it from here.

Pine

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 4:25 AM, Peter Southwood < [hidden email]> wrote:

> One of the basic tenets of health and safety, is that if you have a
> near miss incident, it should be analysed the same way that a fatal
> incident would be investigated. Not to apportion blame, even if it is
> due, but so that the same situation can be avoided in the future.
> Organisations that fail to do this are doomed to repeat their
> mistakes, not necessarily by the same people, who may well have
> learned, but often by other departments, where the people did not get the opportunity to learn by the mistake.
> Refusal to answer reasonable and legitimate questions by stakeholders
> often leads to accusations of conspiracy and bad faith and can end in
> the local demagogues, of which we have an adequate supply, inciting
> the torch and pitchfork brigade. Things may go downhill at this point.
> Cheers,
> Peter

Lila Tretikov
First, thanks to all of those who worked in good faith, with patience and
care for each other to solve this problem. I appreciate the level of
compromise and empathy that was required from teams at WMIL and WMF. Thank
you!

Second, I want to highlight that this is a *our* issue, we are a community
and we need to think about our *one mission* to engage every human with
knowledge, before our individual goals. Let's please remember that before
we detract and distract with polarizing rhetoric (you know who you are on
this list). Bring up issues, suggest solutions. But please, in good faith
and with care for each other.

Thanks all,
Lila

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 8:26 AM, Peter Southwood <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was referring to the fundraising targets, which have been cited as a
> cause of the dispute. WMIT/WLM have explained at length their reasons for
> needing banners in September. I am in no position to comment on whether
> their analysis is correct or not . Fundraising has not been so forthcoming
> Cheers,
> Peter

Craig Franklin
Firstly, I'm delighted to see that a mutually acceptable compromise has
been reached here.  Well done everyone in coming together with the best
interests of the entire movement in mind.

If I can make a suggestion though, I'd suggest that the fundraising team
and the community, particularly the WLM crew, get together *now* and try to
work out how those campaigns are going to be coordinated so that this
doesn't happen again next year, while there are still good vibes in the
air.  Something we're all really bad at as a movement, is procrastinating
on these sort of issues, but if there is a bit of forward planning there's
no reason that everyone can't have their cake and eat it too.

Cheers,
Craig

On 31 August 2015 at 21:02, Megan Hernandez <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> have written together.
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feedback. We would like to fill you
> in on the background work and conversations between Wikimedia Italia and
> WMF.
>
> There was a scheduling problem to solve between two very important
> campaigns for the movement. Wiki Loves Monuments is a major contribution
> campaign and annual effort.  Fundraising campaigns fund the movement and
> the team has a difficult goal this year with quarterly targets to meet.
> Direct communication was needed to work through the issue.
>
> WMIT and WMF have been talking through the situation and many possible
> solutions over the past few weeks. Through very honest and respectful phone
> and email conversations, we were able to reach a mutual understanding of
> the issue and decided to move the fundraising campaign after Wiki Loves
> Monuments. We reached this agreement over the weekend (actually several
> hours before the RfC was posted online), but an immediate reply was not
> sent because we wanted to coordinate an update to the list. Weekend
> coordination is tricky, which is why this email is being sent on Monday.
>
> Postponing the Italian fundraising campaign means for the first time in at
> least 4 years, the fundraising team will not be meeting a target. The team
> will pick up extra work in October to make up for work missed in September.
> It's not possible to do two months of work in one month, so there will need
> to be adjustments later throughout the year to make up for missing the
> September target.
>
> Wikimedia Italia and the WMF fundraising team have collaborated in the past
> on several projects (chapter banner and email campaigns as well as
> fundraising campaigns). We are currently working together on ways to get
> more contributors to WLM in Italy this year and on the upcoming fundraiser.
> We’ll work on communication and will share mutual expertise. We look
> forward to continuing to grow the relationship and working more closely
> going forward.
>
> It’s clear we need a better process to coordinate campaigns. We are a vast
> and complex movement, so communication is key. Together with the Community
> Engagement team, we are thinking of ways to improve and we appreciate your
> effort toward this improvement. Reasonable and respectful communication is
> how we were able to reach a solution, we need to build from this going
> forward.
>
> Thank you to everyone who provided constructive ideas to help solve the
> problem. Best of luck to all the WLM campaigns that launch tomorrow! Thank
> you for all your work on WLM, we’re all looking forward to seeing the new
> contributions this year.
>

> Megan Hernandez and Andrea Zanni
>
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 12:47 PM, Peter Southwood <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Interesting that this happens just after the RFC is started. Maybe no

Lila, As you have appended your message to this thread, I assume that there is a non-zero probability that you are referring to one or more of the  contributors to the thread. I do not consider any of the mails included to be polarizing rhetoric, so could you inform us whether you do, and if so, which, or whether there was another reason why that specific comment was appended here.
Cheers,
Peter

First, thanks to all of those who worked in good faith, with patience and care for each other to solve this problem. I appreciate the level of compromise and empathy that was required from teams at WMIL and WMF. Thank you!

Second, I want to highlight that this is a *our* issue, we are a community and we need to think about our *one mission* to engage every human with knowledge, before our individual goals. Let's please remember that before we detract and distract with polarizing rhetoric (you know who you are on this list). Bring up issues, suggest solutions. But please, in good faith and with care for each other.

Thanks all,
Lila

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 8:26 AM, Peter Southwood < [hidden email]> wrote:

> I was referring to the fundraising targets, which have been cited as a
> cause of the dispute. WMIT/WLM have explained at length their reasons
> for needing banners in September. I am in no position to comment on
> whether their analysis is correct or not . Fundraising has not been so
> forthcoming in response to queries.
> Cheers,
> Peter

Romaine Wiki-2
I think everyone here worked in good faith, and everyone started with
patience in this situation. Suggesting otherwise suggests a lack of empathy.
But we should not close our eyes when the community is being played in a
non fair way, and I then mean NOT the bocking banner, but how the
interaction went. This issue is not the first time that the fundraising
team has shown us rude behaviour.

There was no polarizing rhetoric, the rhetoric used was used when the
polarisation already happened. And was only used when the edge of care,
patience and reasonable was passed long ago. It is nice to call here in
public that we should bring up issues and suggest solutions, but we have
done so.

I find it disturbing that WMF does not recognise their own worse behaviour
(of *some* staff), and sticks their head in the sand.

If you say that it is *our* issue, a different attitude should be used: the
community has not been treated as a stakeholder, while we are.
As long as the community is not actually seen as stakeholder, it makes
highlighting *one mission* being empty words

It is said (by WMF staff) that we should come to a better planning of
CentralNotice banners, we are open for that as we have called for this
already 2013. We are open to this and are waiting.

Greetings,
Romaine