[Wikimedia-l] WikiConference North America live stream

[Wikimedia-l] WikiConference North America live stream

phoebe ayers-3
Dear all,
We are looking forward to WikiConference North America here at MIT in
Cambridge, Massachusetts this weekend! We will be welcoming around 250
people over the four-day weekend, with a museum and cultural institution
culture crawl on Friday, conference sessions on Saturday and Sunday, and
discussion/hackathon focused on reliability and credibility on Monday.

For those who can't be here with us in person, we have a live stream
planned of three of our session rooms on Saturday and Sunday. To access the
stream, go here:
http://web.mit.edu/webcast/wiki/f19/

We are looking forward to sharing as much of the conference as we can with
you all! To find out what is when, the schedule is here (all times eastern
time):
https://wikiconference.org/wiki/2019/Schedule

We have a packed schedule with sessions about education, research,
outreach, and more, as well as a special focus/track in our main auditorium
on credibility and reliability in the news and media, which our partners at
the Credibility Coalition are assisting with. As we think about the future
of Wikipedia as a reliable source in a world where social media platforms
and media networks are struggling with issues of misinformation and
credibility, we hope that this program will be both timely and helpful.

Let me know if you have any questions and I hope you are able to tune in
online.
Phoebe, for WCNA

--
* I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at>
gmail.com *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiConference North America live stream

Ziko van Dijk-3
Hello Phoebe, thank you for the good news. We invest so much in our
conferences, that it is a pity that they often are not recorded.
Kind regards
Ziko

Am Do., 7. Nov. 2019 um 20:31 Uhr schrieb phoebe ayers <
[hidden email]>:

> Dear all,
> We are looking forward to WikiConference North America here at MIT in
> Cambridge, Massachusetts this weekend! We will be welcoming around 250
> people over the four-day weekend, with a museum and cultural institution
> culture crawl on Friday, conference sessions on Saturday and Sunday, and
> discussion/hackathon focused on reliability and credibility on Monday.
>
> For those who can't be here with us in person, we have a live stream
> planned of three of our session rooms on Saturday and Sunday. To access the
> stream, go here:
> http://web.mit.edu/webcast/wiki/f19/
>
> We are looking forward to sharing as much of the conference as we can with
> you all! To find out what is when, the schedule is here (all times eastern
> time):
> https://wikiconference.org/wiki/2019/Schedule
>
> We have a packed schedule with sessions about education, research,
> outreach, and more, as well as a special focus/track in our main auditorium
> on credibility and reliability in the news and media, which our partners at
> the Credibility Coalition are assisting with. As we think about the future
> of Wikipedia as a reliable source in a world where social media platforms
> and media networks are struggling with issues of misinformation and
> credibility, we hope that this program will be both timely and helpful.
>
> Let me know if you have any questions and I hope you are able to tune in
> online.
> Phoebe, for WCNA
>

> --
> * I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at>
> gmail.com *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiConference North America live stream

Pete Forsyth-2
Thanks Phoebe, looking forward to the conference -- and I think the college
students I presented to this morning, most of whom will not be able to
attend in person, will enjoy the opportunity to watch from afar.

Do you know whether the videos will be available afterwards, as well?

Pete
--
User:Peteforsyth

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 2:31 PM phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
> We are looking forward to WikiConference North America here at MIT in
> Cambridge, Massachusetts this weekend! We will be welcoming around 250
> people over the four-day weekend, with a museum and cultural institution
> culture crawl on Friday, conference sessions on Saturday and Sunday, and
> discussion/hackathon focused on reliability and credibility on Monday.
>
> For those who can't be here with us in person, we have a live stream
> planned of three of our session rooms on Saturday and Sunday. To access the
> stream, go here:
> http://web.mit.edu/webcast/wiki/f19/
>
> We are looking forward to sharing as much of the conference as we can with
> you all! To find out what is when, the schedule is here (all times eastern
> time):
> https://wikiconference.org/wiki/2019/Schedule
>
> We have a packed schedule with sessions about education, research,
> outreach, and more, as well as a special focus/track in our main auditorium
> on credibility and reliability in the news and media, which our partners at
> the Credibility Coalition are assisting with. As we think about the future
> of Wikipedia as a reliable source in a world where social media platforms
> and media networks are struggling with issues of misinformation and
> credibility, we hope that this program will be both timely and helpful.
>
> Let me know if you have any questions and I hope you are able to tune in
> online.
> Phoebe, for WCNA
>

> --
> * I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at>
> gmail.com *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiConference North America live stream

James Salsman-2
It would be great if the Foundation hired a dedicated A/V team to
remote-enable as many conferences and meetups as possible.

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 11:47 AM Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Phoebe, thank you for the good news. We invest so much in our
> conferences, that it is a pity that they often are not recorded.
> Kind regards
> Ziko
>
> Am Do., 7. Nov. 2019 um 20:31 Uhr schrieb phoebe ayers <
> [hidden email]>:
>
> > Dear all,
> > We are looking forward to WikiConference North America here at MIT in
> > Cambridge, Massachusetts this weekend! We will be welcoming around 250
> > people over the four-day weekend, with a museum and cultural institution
> > culture crawl on Friday, conference sessions on Saturday and Sunday, and
> > discussion/hackathon focused on reliability and credibility on Monday.
> >
> > For those who can't be here with us in person, we have a live stream
> > planned of three of our session rooms on Saturday and Sunday. To access
> the
> > stream, go here:
> > http://web.mit.edu/webcast/wiki/f19/
> >
> > We are looking forward to sharing as much of the conference as we can
> with
> > you all! To find out what is when, the schedule is here (all times
> eastern
> > time):
> > https://wikiconference.org/wiki/2019/Schedule
> >
> > We have a packed schedule with sessions about education, research,
> > outreach, and more, as well as a special focus/track in our main
> auditorium
> > on credibility and reliability in the news and media, which our partners
> at
> > the Credibility Coalition are assisting with. As we think about the
> future
> > of Wikipedia as a reliable source in a world where social media platforms
> > and media networks are struggling with issues of misinformation and
> > credibility, we hope that this program will be both timely and helpful.
> >
> > Let me know if you have any questions and I hope you are able to tune in
> > online.
> > Phoebe, for WCNA
> >

> > --
> > * I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers
> <at>
> > gmail.com *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiConference North America live stream

Gerard Meijssen-3
Eh,
and what choices are then made when conferences coincide as they do with
this conference? Not really practical and really expensive.
Thanks,
       GerardM

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 at 22:36, James Salsman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It would be great if the Foundation hired a dedicated A/V team to
> remote-enable as many conferences and meetups as possible.
>

> On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 11:47 AM Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello Phoebe, thank you for the good news. We invest so much in our
> > conferences, that it is a pity that they often are not recorded.
> > Kind regards
> > Ziko
> >
> > Am Do., 7. Nov. 2019 um 20:31 Uhr schrieb phoebe ayers <
> > [hidden email]>:
> >
> > > Dear all,
> > > We are looking forward to WikiConference North America here at MIT in
> > > Cambridge, Massachusetts this weekend! We will be welcoming around 250
> > > people over the four-day weekend, with a museum and cultural
> institution
> > > culture crawl on Friday, conference sessions on Saturday and Sunday,
> and
> > > discussion/hackathon focused on reliability and credibility on Monday.
> > >
> > > For those who can't be here with us in person, we have a live stream
> > > planned of three of our session rooms on Saturday and Sunday. To access
> > the
> > > stream, go here:
> > > http://web.mit.edu/webcast/wiki/f19/
> > >
> > > We are looking forward to sharing as much of the conference as we can
> > with
> > > you all! To find out what is when, the schedule is here (all times
> > eastern
> > > time):
> > > https://wikiconference.org/wiki/2019/Schedule
> > >
> > > We have a packed schedule with sessions about education, research,
> > > outreach, and more, as well as a special focus/track in our main
> > auditorium
> > > on credibility and reliability in the news and media, which our
> partners
> > at
> > > the Credibility Coalition are assisting with. As we think about the
> > future
> > > of Wikipedia as a reliable source in a world where social media
> platforms
> > > and media networks are struggling with issues of misinformation and
> > > credibility, we hope that this program will be both timely and helpful.
> > >
> > > Let me know if you have any questions and I hope you are able to tune
> in
> > > online.
> > > Phoebe, for WCNA
> > >

> > > --
> > > * I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers
> > <at>
> > > gmail.com *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiConference North America live stream

Peter Southwood
Hi Gerard,
Do you have a better suggestion? Something practical and less expensive, that could actually work to make conferences more widely accessible?
Cheers,
Peter

https://www.avg.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiConference North America live stream

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
We have done rather well. The only thing that was frustrated is the
registration of the recordings at Wikidata. The items for the recordings
where unceremoniously removed by a heavy handed admin.
Thanks,
        GerardM

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 at 07:06, Peter Southwood <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Gerard,
> Do you have a better suggestion? Something practical and less expensive,
> that could actually work to make conferences more widely accessible?
> Cheers,
> Peter

Phoebe and WikiConference team,

It was a great conference -- thank you! -- and wonderful to have
high-quality video made available. (To answer my earlier question -- the
link supplied before still leads to the videos, though you might have to
dig around to find any specific session.)

QUESTION: Do you know if MIT asserts any copyright over the videos? I'd
like to upload a couple to Commons, but want to be sure the copyright won't
be an issue.

-Pete
--
Pete Forsyth
User:Peteforsyth

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 11:31 AM phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
> We are looking forward to WikiConference North America here at MIT in
> Cambridge, Massachusetts this weekend! We will be welcoming around 250
> people over the four-day weekend, with a museum and cultural institution
> culture crawl on Friday, conference sessions on Saturday and Sunday, and
> discussion/hackathon focused on reliability and credibility on Monday.
>
> For those who can't be here with us in person, we have a live stream
> planned of three of our session rooms on Saturday and Sunday. To access the
> stream, go here:
> http://web.mit.edu/webcast/wiki/f19/
>
> We are looking forward to sharing as much of the conference as we can with
> you all! To find out what is when, the schedule is here (all times eastern
> time):
> https://wikiconference.org/wiki/2019/Schedule
>
> We have a packed schedule with sessions about education, research,
> outreach, and more, as well as a special focus/track in our main auditorium
> on credibility and reliability in the news and media, which our partners at
> the Credibility Coalition are assisting with. As we think about the future
> of Wikipedia as a reliable source in a world where social media platforms
> and media networks are struggling with issues of misinformation and
> credibility, we hope that this program will be both timely and helpful.
>
> Let me know if you have any questions and I hope you are able to tune in
> online.
> Phoebe, for WCNA
>

> --
> * I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at>
> gmail.com *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiConference North America live stream

metasj
We have full copyright over these videos, which are intended to be posted
to Commons under CC-BY.
There are a couple of sessions from the live.fsf stream which will not be
posted online at the request of the participants, but the videos from the
three main rooms can all be posted to Commons.

Warmly, SJ

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 4:44 PM Pete Forsyth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Phoebe and WikiConference team,
>
> It was a great conference -- thank you! -- and wonderful to have
> high-quality video made available. (To answer my earlier question -- the
> link supplied before still leads to the videos, though you might have to
> dig around to find any specific session.)
>
> QUESTION: Do you know if MIT asserts any copyright over the videos? I'd
> like to upload a couple to Commons, but want to be sure the copyright won't
> be an issue.
>
> -Pete
> --
> Pete Forsyth
> User:Peteforsyth
>
> On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 11:31 AM phoebe ayers <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> > We are looking forward to WikiConference North America here at MIT in
> > Cambridge, Massachusetts this weekend! We will be welcoming around 250
> > people over the four-day weekend, with a museum and cultural institution
> > culture crawl on Friday, conference sessions on Saturday and Sunday, and
> > discussion/hackathon focused on reliability and credibility on Monday.
> >
> > For those who can't be here with us in person, we have a live stream
> > planned of three of our session rooms on Saturday and Sunday. To access
> the
> > stream, go here:
> > http://web.mit.edu/webcast/wiki/f19/
> >
> > We are looking forward to sharing as much of the conference as we can
> with
> > you all! To find out what is when, the schedule is here (all times
> eastern
> > time):
> > https://wikiconference.org/wiki/2019/Schedule
> >
> > We have a packed schedule with sessions about education, research,
> > outreach, and more, as well as a special focus/track in our main
> auditorium
> > on credibility and reliability in the news and media, which our partners
> at
> > the Credibility Coalition are assisting with. As we think about the
> future
> > of Wikipedia as a reliable source in a world where social media platforms
> > and media networks are struggling with issues of misinformation and
> > credibility, we hope that this program will be both timely and helpful.
> >
> > Let me know if you have any questions and I hope you are able to tune in
> > online.
> > Phoebe, for WCNA
> >

> > --
> > * I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers
> <at>
> > gmail.com *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiConference North America live stream

John DeBruyn
Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiConference North America live stream

Good morning Phoebe, Ziko, Pete, James, Gerard, Peter, Samuel and all, it
is 2 am or so my time. Perhaps a YouTube channel offers a solution. I have
used a YouTube channel many times to record conferences, albeit on a much
smaller scale. YouTube, as you likely know, also provides a text channel
that functions in tandem with the video channel for interaction between
attendees and participants in the program. The transcript of the
interaction in the text channel is preserved as part of the records of the
YouTube channel. Here is what I was up to with my mentor, Ward Cunningham
and other pioneers in the early development of wikis and Wikipedia, during
the 1990s and the early 2000s, https://wiki.c2.com/?JohnDeBruyn John, John
DeBruyn, Golden, Colorado USA 80401, my current email address is
[hidden email], my cell phone is 303-919-4840 and is my
preferred means of one on one communication.